Munros - Sgurr a'Mhadaidh and Sgurr a'Ghreadaidh

Lindsay

Guest
Sgurr a'Mhadaidh and Sgurr a'Ghreadaidh

I needed to visit Skye to climb a few of the Cuillin Munros again, and
as I had a few days spare before my next booking I decided that this
was the opportunity I needed to bag them. However the weather
forecast wasn't good and without reasonable visibility I would find it
very difficult to navigate my way along the ridge. I therefore
contacted George Yeomans of Guiding on Skye and he agreed to allow me
to join his five clients. They had had a successful day the previous
day on Sgurr Mhic Choinnich, The Inaccessible Pinnacle and Sgurr na
Banachdich in the sun.

We met at the Glen Brittle Youth Hostel where his clients were
staying. The weather wasn't very promising with some light rain, low
cloud and a bit of a breeze. From the hostel we walked up the side
of the Allt Choire a'Ghreadaidh into Coire a'Ghreadaidh where
occasionally we could see the outline of the ridge as the cloud base
lifted. It was then into Coire an Dorus with the instruction from
George "basalt bad gabbro good". This was in relation to the main
rock formations of the Cuillin but with the wet conditions the basalt
was very slippery hence the warning about the rock.

The scree was eventually reached and we climbed to just below the An
Dorus Gap where we put on helmets and left our packs. George then
led us up onto Sgurr a'Ghreadaidh, avoiding the Gap, where a few
stones marked the summit. It was raining and windy with no
visibility worth mentioning so it was about turn and back to the
packs.

We then climbed to the An Dorus Gap and with a few awkward steps onto
Sgurr a'Ghreadaidh's south ridge. Extreme care was required on this
ascent due to a lot of basalt making things that bit more awkward.
However at all the problem spots George was there to assist and guide
us to the summit cairn. The conditions here were similar to the
previous Munro so after a few minutes we headed back down the ridge to
the An Dorus Gap. On the final drop into the Gorge George roped us
down before we descended the scree to a grassy area for lunch.

After lunch in the rain we returned to the Youth Hostel rather wet but
with two more Munros under our belts.

Time taken - 6 hours.
Distance - 9.5 kilometres.
Height climbed - 960 metres.

There are no photos due to the poor weather conditions.

If you want guiding on the Skye Munros I can recommend George Yeomans
of Guiding on Skye - www.guidingonskye.co.uk

Lindsay
www.caledoniahilltreks.com

In message <[email protected]>
Lindsay <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]

> If you want guiding on the Skye Munros I can recommend George Yeomans
> of Guiding on Skye - www.guidingonskye.co.uk
>
> Lindsay
> www.caledoniahilltreks.com

But to use the term "Guiding", particularly with a capital "G" is I
think misleading since the qualification of the person concerned is as a
Mountain Leader and not as a Mountain Guide.

cf http://www.baiml.org/ versus http://www.bmg.org.uk/

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
<\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,

"Lindsay" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> Sgurr a'Mhadaidh and Sgurr a'Ghreadaidh

> I needed to visit Skye to climb a few of the Cuillin Munros again, and
> as I had a few days spare before my next booking I decided that this
> was the opportunity I needed to bag them. However the weather
> forecast wasn't good and without reasonable visibility I would find it
> very difficult to navigate my way along the ridge. I therefore
> contacted George Yeomans of Guiding on Skye and he agreed to allow me
> to join his five clients. They had had a successful day the previous
> day on Sgurr Mhic Choinnich, The Inaccessible Pinnacle and Sgurr na
> Banachdich in the sun.
>
> We met at the Glen Brittle Youth Hostel where his clients were
> staying. The weather wasn't very promising with some light rain, low
> cloud and a bit of a breeze. From the hostel we walked up the side
> of the Allt Choire a'Ghreadaidh into Coire a'Ghreadaidh where
> occasionally we could see the outline of the ridge as the cloud base
> lifted. It was then into Coire an Dorus with the instruction from
> George "basalt bad gabbro good". This was in relation to the main
> rock formations of the Cuillin but with the wet conditions the basalt
> was very slippery hence the warning about the rock.
>
> The scree was eventually reached and we climbed to just below the An
> Dorus Gap where we put on helmets and left our packs. George then
> led us up onto Sgurr a'Ghreadaidh, avoiding the Gap, where a few
> stones marked the summit. It was raining and windy with no
> visibility worth mentioning so it was about turn and back to the
> packs.
>
> We then climbed to the An Dorus Gap and with a few awkward steps onto
> Sgurr a'Ghreadaidh's south ridge. Extreme care was required on this
> ascent due to a lot of basalt making things that bit more awkward.
> However at all the problem spots George was there to assist and guide
> us to the summit cairn. The conditions here were similar to the
> previous Munro so after a few minutes we headed back down the ridge to
> the An Dorus Gap. On the final drop into the Gorge George roped us
> down before we descended the scree to a grassy area for lunch.

You mention Sgurr a Ghreadaidh twice but I think the second ascent is Sgurr
a Mhadaidh ?
I've climbed Sgurr a Mhadaidh from An Dorus but didn't fancy the steep wall
from An Dorus onto Sgurr a Ghreadaidh. I didn't know you could start the
ascent of SgaG from before An Dorus. Do you have a grid reference for me ?
TIA

--
"Beannachd leibh"

Theo
www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

On Sep 26, 6:38 pm, "Theo" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Lindsay" <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnews:[email protected]...
>

> > Sgurr a'Mhadaidh and Sgurr a'Ghreadaidh

> > I needed to visit Skye to climb a few of the Cuillin Munros again, and
> > as I had a few days spare before my next booking I decided that this
> > was the opportunity I needed to bag them. However the weather
> > forecast wasn't good and without reasonable visibility I would find it
> > very difficult to navigate my way along the ridge. I therefore
> > contacted George Yeomans of Guiding on Skye and he agreed to allow me
> > to join his five clients. They had had a successful day the previous
> > day on Sgurr Mhic Choinnich, The Inaccessible Pinnacle and Sgurr na
> > Banachdich in the sun.

> > We met at the Glen Brittle Youth Hostel where his clients were
> > staying. The weather wasn't very promising with some light rain, low
> > cloud and a bit of a breeze. From the hostel we walked up the side
> > of the Allt Choire a'Ghreadaidh into Coire a'Ghreadaidh where
> > occasionally we could see the outline of the ridge as the cloud base
> > lifted. It was then into Coire an Dorus with the instruction from
> > George "basalt bad gabbro good". This was in relation to the main
> > rock formations of the Cuillin but with the wet conditions the basalt
> > was very slippery hence the warning about the rock.

> > The scree was eventually reached and we climbed to just below the An
> > Dorus Gap where we put on helmets and left our packs. George then
> > led us up onto Sgurr a'Ghreadaidh, avoiding the Gap, where a few
> > stones marked the summit. It was raining and windy with no
> > visibility worth mentioning so it was about turn and back to the
> > packs.

> > We then climbed to the An Dorus Gap and with a few awkward steps onto
> > Sgurr a'Ghreadaidh's south ridge. Extreme care was required on this
> > ascent due to a lot of basalt making things that bit more awkward.
> > However at all the problem spots George was there to assist and guide
> > us to the summit cairn. The conditions here were similar to the
> > previous Munro so after a few minutes we headed back down the ridge to
> > the An Dorus Gap. On the final drop into the Gorge George roped us
> > down before we descended the scree to a grassy area for lunch.

> You mention Sgurr a Ghreadaidh twice but I think the second ascent is Sgurr
> a Mhadaidh ?
> I've climbed Sgurr a Mhadaidh from An Dorus but didn't fancy the steep wall
> from An Dorus onto Sgurr a Ghreadaidh. I didn't know you could start the
> ascent of SgaG from before An Dorus. Do you have a grid reference for me ?
> TIA
>
> --
> "Beannachd leibh"
>
> Theowww.theosphotos.fotopic.net- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Theo for pointing out my error. The first ascent was Sgurr
a'Mhadaidh without reaching the An Dorus Gap. Sgurr a'Ghreadaidh was
climbed from the Gap, which is rather awkward.

Mike Clark wrote:

> But to use the term "Guiding", particularly with a capital "G" is I
> think misleading since the qualification of the person concerned is as a
> Mountain Leader and not as a Mountain Guide.
>
> cf http://www.baiml.org/ versus http://www.bmg.org.uk/

Maybe he runs the local Guide troop too... bit of an awkward term, and I
can certainly understand how "guide" would show up much more reliably if
someone needing a leader were hunting, and in that context hardly
surprising it's used. I doubt that very many people are aware of the
difference (I would have missed it if you hadn't pointed it out).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

In message <[email protected]>
Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:

> Mike Clark wrote:
>
> > But to use the term "Guiding", particularly with a capital "G" is I
> > think misleading since the qualification of the person concerned is as a
> > Mountain Leader and not as a Mountain Guide.
> >
> > cf http://www.baiml.org/ versus http://www.bmg.org.uk/

> Maybe he runs the local Guide troop too... bit of an awkward term, and I
> can certainly understand how "guide" would show up much more reliably if
> someone needing a leader were hunting, and in that context hardly
> surprising it's used. I doubt that very many people are aware of the
> difference (I would have missed it if you hadn't pointed it out).
>
> Pete.

I know of at least one friend who thought that they were hiring an IFMGA
qualified guide for a weeks vacation in the Cuillins and instead
discovered in conversation with said guide part way through the trip
that they were only ML qualified. It's a fairly easy mistake to make
particularly if you aren't aware of the nature of the different
qualifications. The small logos on the website can at first glance
appear similar as well.

I suppose the authorities are somewhat more tolerant in the UK than they
can be in some alpine countries. It is not uncommon for the French
police to arrest people who they think are misleading clients in the way
they advertise their services, or who are exceeding the limits of their
qualifications (e.g. in ski-instructing, off-piste ski guiding,
rock-climbing, mountaineering).

Mike