Advice on choosing my next unicycle

cyclmck

Guest
I'm looking to purchase another unicycle. Right now I have a basic
Torker Unistar 24". I can ride: backwards in open areas, one-footed
extended or on the frame as long as the ground is close to flat, wheel
walk up to 100ft(not very good with getting feet back on pedals
though), idle(kind of ugly though, and have to have a couple of feet to
do it).
I want to get a 20" freestlyle specific uni. I was looking at the
"Nimbus 20-inch Standard with Long Neck" http://tinyurl.com/2akq5
Also the "Semcycle XL 20-inch Freestyle Model with Chromed Rynolite
Rim"
http://tinyurl.com/3bkjve
I'm open too any other freestyle specific choices also. And
suggestions on crank arm length, my inseam is about 32".
Thanks for any replies.

--
cyclmck
http://www.usenet.com

I'm still riding my no-name brand el cheapo I originally learnt on so
I'm not in a position to give you advice on those two machines, or any
other freestyle machine really.

I am however curious to see how many responses a freestyle enquiry
generates.
It has been mentioned in the past that these fora have become very
trials/street/muni heavy and I'm interested to see if that's actually
true.

May the cult of the un-knobblies prosper.

--
GILD

'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
(http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'unihoki'
(http://www.sinco.hu/data/pic/size_1/session_061007_26.jpg)
'if i'm murdered, don't execute my killer.'
(http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/1539/)
'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx) 'mikefule'
(http://tinyurl.com/yh6vna) 'bluntrm' (http://tinyurl.com/2bq8ol)
'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)
http://www.usenet.com

I don't think either of your links take yo to the places you wanted them
to. But I'm partial to the Nimbus option, generally. Semcycles are
great unis, but they're saddles have not changed with the times.
Personally, I would not get one with the long neck, because it limits
the range of saddle height, which is something you want some pliability
with when you're doing some freestyle manuvers.

Also, it's important for me that I can lower the seat enough to let
pretty girls try it. As much as I like the look of a long neck frame,
it would not suit my needs.

I would recommend a Nimbus II with ISIS hub. It's a good freestyle
unicycle with a lot of versatility. I have one in Red that has taken a
lot of abuse, and taken it well.

--
sockmonster

www.unicyclemax.com
http://www.usenet.com

the 20" nimbus X looks like a good idea. I almost purchased one last
spring but then switched to trials and muni from freestyle. If you are
on a budget UDC used to have a nimbus II 20" for 147 but I can't find
it now :(. Maybe give them a call.

--
mouse

http://www.usenet.com

sockmonster wrote:
> I don't think either of your links take yo to the places you wanted them
> to.

The links are working for me. You do have to scroll down to see the
uni's that I was talking about though.

sockmonster wrote:
> I would recommend a Nimbus II with ISIS hub. It's a good freestyle
> unicycle with a lot of versatility. I have one in Red that has taken a
> lot of abuse, and taken it well.

I'll consider this one too. Without riding the longneck uni it would be
hard for me to tell if I would feel a need to lower the seat more than
it will let me.

--
cyclmck
http://www.usenet.com

mouse wrote:
> the 20" nimbus X looks like a good idea. I almost purchased one last
> spring but then switched to trials and muni from freestyle.

This uni looks like the best frame design for putting my feet on the
frame. With the longneck and a 32" inseam do you think I would want to
lower the seat for certain tricks more that it will allow?

--
cyclmck
http://www.usenet.com

generally freestyle riding works better with a high seat. I believe the
nimbus X can come with a frame with a 200 300 or 400mm tube. Call UDC
with your inseam and get their opinion before you order as I dont do
much freestyle to know where the best length would be without getting
the seat too high or the clamp in your way :)

--
mouse

> Originally Posted by johnfoss
> Yes, being old makes you stupid.

> Originally Posted by jerrick
> I think we should get off the topic off kinky/horny girls and
> unicycles, and back to creepy horny men.

http://www.usenet.com

If I might make a suggestion, KH Trials

I'm getting *in posession of, but haven't paid for just yet* one *06
model I believe* an its AWSOME!!

--
munifreaker
http://www.usenet.com

mouse wrote:
> generally freestyle riding works better with a high seat. I believe the
> nimbus X can come with a frame with a 200 300 or 400mm tube. Call UDC
> with your inseam and get their opinion before you order as I dont do
> much freestyle to know where the best length would be without getting
> the seat too high or the clamp in your way :)

The only thing I see that I don't really like on the nimbus X would be
that you cannot choose crank arm length. I'll see if I can find out
what size they come with. For replacements i can find as small as 100mm
in ISIS. If I got a different uni i could choose as small as 89mm. I'm
not sure how short i should go but I was leaning towards shorter crank
arms as it seems to be the way to go for a lot of freestyle tricks.

--
cyclmck
http://www.usenet.com

munifreaker wrote:
> If I might make a suggestion, KH Trials
>

> I'm getting *in posession of, but haven't paid for just yet* one *06
> model I believe* an its AWSOME!!

may i suggest reading, the KH is a TRIALS unicycle, not meant for
freestyle at all. i dislike doing freestyle on my KH if i can avoid
it.

Nimbus X FTW

koxx one's version... don't know much about it.
http://www.renegadejuggling.com/Web_store/rev3k/index.html

--
skrobo

'my video!' (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58465)
http://www.usenet.com

cyclmck wrote:
> cranks.

you can pick any cranks for any uni on UDC. They just list suggested
lengths. Simply call ahead and let them know what cranks you want :)

--
mouse

> Originally Posted by johnfoss
> Yes, being old makes you stupid.

> Originally Posted by jerrick
> I think we should get off the topic off kinky/horny girls and
> unicycles, and back to creepy horny men.

http://www.usenet.com

Mainly what you are looking for is a solid frame to hold the pressures
of some freestyle tricks, and you always the frame to have very little
clearance to the tire. Millimeters away if possible. The crown should
be flat and have enough room for you to get a solid foot position that
will be stable and not allow you to slip off easily.

You will also want a sturdy rim. Some tricks of freestyle has the ride
on the rim with it angled to the ground, putting loads of stress which
can taco some rims pretty easily. There are plenty BMX rims that are
bombproof though, so it wont be hard to get a good rim. Just remember,
that it is a 20" rim that you will want.

The hub and cranks don't need to be splined, square-tapered will hold
up, because you are not doing a lot of drops, but make sure to get
shorter cranks than usual. 114s have felt great for me.

Tires should be smooth, and ran at a higher pressure.

Seat height is usually very high. To the point where at your bottom
pedal, your leg is almost straight. It is a preference, but a high seat
makes it a lot easier. The seat should also be slim and easy to move
from SI, SIF, and to SIB.

A good set of plastic pedal will work great on a freestyle uni.

Umm, I think that pretty much covers. They can get costly, but I think
its best to pick each part and build your uni up that way.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)