Anyone have a 1972/3 Raleigh?

still me

Guest
I am looking for someone who owns a model year 1972 Raleigh with the
script type downtube decal. I think these were "export only" decals.
Here's a sample:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee126/wheeledPhoto/22131459.jpg

I need to know the length dimension of the decal from one end to the
other and, it possible, the font height of the letter R (measured with
a flexible tape I suppose).

Thanks in advance,

In article <[email protected]>, still me
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I am looking for someone who owns a model year 1972 Raleigh with the
> script type downtube decal.

I just had lunch yesterday with a friend who was telling me about his
1972 Raleigh that he bought new and has cared for all these years, and
which is in mint condition.

I just emailed him your post. I'll get back to you when I hear from him.

In the meantime, can you identify the specific model you are interested
in? It will likely help your search.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/

Dan

On Sep 27, 9:35 pm, still me <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am looking for someone who owns a model year 1972 Raleigh with the
> script type downtube decal. I think these were "export only" decals.

I think they were actually painted directly onto the bike! But I
could be wrong.

> Here's a sample:
>
> http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee126/wheeledPhoto/22131459.jpg
>
> I need to know the length dimension of the decal from one end to the
> other and, it possible, the font height of the letter R (measured with
> a flexible tape I suppose).
>
> Thanks in advance,

I've got a 1972 Raleigh Super Course that I repainted many years ago.
Before I did that, I traced the script by hand. I still have the
tracing. Never did re-paint the lettering though.

I measure almost exactly 5" from the lower left corner of the "R" to
the lower right end of the "tail" on the "h" .

The font height of the R measured vertically is almost exactly 1".
(That's to the highest point of the top arch, which is taller than the
straight line on the left.)

My tracing is in somewhat rough shape, and is pretty faint. But if
you e-mail me your postal address, I can try to make a photocopy and
mail it to you.

- Frank Krygowski

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 19:36:45 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I've got a 1972 Raleigh Super Course that I repainted many years ago.
>Before I did that, I traced the script by hand. I still have the
>tracing. Never did re-paint the lettering though.
>
>I measure almost exactly 5" from the lower left corner of the "R" to
>the lower right end of the "tail" on the "h" .
>
>The font height of the R measured vertically is almost exactly 1".
>(That's to the highest point of the top arch, which is taller than the
>straight line on the left.)
>
>My tracing is in somewhat rough shape, and is pretty faint. But if
>you e-mail me your postal address, I can try to make a photocopy and
>mail it to you.
>
>- Frank Krygowski

Thanks Frank, I don't think I need the tracing. I recalled it being a
lot longer, but it's been a long time since I had one in hand.

Two more questions: How tall is the "S" in "Super Course"? Also, does
the Super Course have the "Made in England" on the top tube? If so,
height and length of that would help.

FYI - The good news is that there should be some repro's available as
soon as I get these dimensions off to the decal man!

Bob

[email protected] wrote:
> On Sep 27, 9:35 pm, still me <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I am looking for someone who owns a model year 1972 Raleigh with the
>> script type downtube decal. I think these were "export only" decals.

> I think they were actually painted directly onto the bike! But I
> could be wrong.
>
>> Here's a sample:
>>
>> http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee126/wheeledPhoto/22131459.jpg
>>
>> I need to know the length dimension of the decal from one end to the
>> other and, it possible, the font height of the letter R (measured with
>> a flexible tape I suppose).
>>
>> Thanks in advance,

> I've got a 1972 Raleigh Super Course that I repainted many years ago.
> Before I did that, I traced the script by hand. I still have the
> tracing. Never did re-paint the lettering though.
>
> I measure almost exactly 5" from the lower left corner of the "R" to
> the lower right end of the "tail" on the "h" .
>
> The font height of the R measured vertically is almost exactly 1".
> (That's to the highest point of the top arch, which is taller than the
> straight line on the left.)
>
> My tracing is in somewhat rough shape, and is pretty faint. But if
> you e-mail me your postal address, I can try to make a photocopy and
> mail it to you.
>
> - Frank Krygowski

Digital cameras work surprising well for that sort of thing.

Dorf

"still me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am looking for someone who owns a model year 1972 Raleigh with the
> script type downtube decal. I think these were "export only" decals.
> Here's a sample:
>
> http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee126/wheeledPhoto/22131459.jpg
>
> I need to know the length dimension of the decal from one end to the
> other and, it possible, the font height of the letter R (measured with
> a flexible tape I suppose).
>
> Thanks in advance,

This place has a lot of retro Raleigh decals:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/NICK_AT_LLOYDS/decals.htm

You can also try some local sign maker that can do wonders with vinyl
transfers.

Chas.

On Sep 28, 12:10 am, Dorfus Dippintush
<[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > On Sep 27, 9:35 pm, still me <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I am looking for someone who owns a model year 1972 Raleigh with the
> >> script type downtube decal. I think these were "export only" decals.

> > I think they were actually painted directly onto the bike! But I
> > could be wrong.

> >> Here's a sample:

> >>http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee126/wheeledPhoto/22131459.jpg

> >> I need to know the length dimension of the decal from one end to the
> >> other and, it possible, the font height of the letter R (measured with
> >> a flexible tape I suppose).

> >> Thanks in advance,

> > I've got a 1972 Raleigh Super Course that I repainted many years ago.
> > Before I did that, I traced the script by hand. I still have the
> > tracing. Never did re-paint the lettering though.

> > I measure almost exactly 5" from the lower left corner of the "R" to
> > the lower right end of the "tail" on the "h" .

> > The font height of the R measured vertically is almost exactly 1".
> > (That's to the highest point of the top arch, which is taller than the
> > straight line on the left.)

> > My tracing is in somewhat rough shape, and is pretty faint. But if
> > you e-mail me your postal address, I can try to make a photocopy and
> > mail it to you.

> > - Frank Krygowski

> Digital cameras work surprising well for that sort of thing.

Hmm. I'll bet a digital camera was used to take the picture he the OP
linked at http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee126/wheeledPhoto/22131459.jpg

Apparently, he needed more information. Hence my offer. But thanks
for the tip.

- Frank Krygowski

Bob, i got ya covered, with my 1970 super course, my 1970
international, and 1971 international. By the way, in 1973 they went
to block lettering, so your bike is 1972 or earlier.

First of all, the best renditions of this art in _decal form_ are
available from michael swantak at www.velographicdecals.com. He is a
raleigh lover ( as am I ) but has done many more decals (although I
helped him to improve some of his raleigh ones ...)

Second of all, these are not decals ~ they are transfers. I am going
to be making transfers one of these days, so stay tuned. I'll trace
the art with a spline program and print masks for my silkscreen set in
cut vinyl. The upper models, such as international, are in addition,
pinstriped from roughly 2" below the R down to the bottom bracket (
1970 and 1971 models ).

I have a very similar super course to yours. Does yours have a red
line through the model name, or just the normal model name, in white??

I have produced the "Made in England" decals, but sold out of them
about a year ago (35 decals sold, 5 saved for my own projects.)

http://www.ece.ubc.ca/~gillies/raleigh/Made_in_England_vs_SuperTourer.JPG

Nick at Lloyds took my art and said, "hey, i improved it" and now
offers that decal. But, I don't think you need it for a 1972 super
course, as it started to appear in 1974, i believe, as I don't have it
on any of my 1973 raleighs (competition, gran sport.)

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

- who has about 2 x 1970, 1 x 1971, 2 x 1973, and about 7 x 1974
raleighs.

On Sep 27, 11:14 pm, still me <[email protected]> wrote:

> Two more questions: How tall is the "S" in "Super Course"?

I measure 15/32" or barely under 1/2".

> Also, does
> the Super Course have the "Made in England" on the top tube? If so,
> height and length of that would help.

The notes I made before stripping the old paint did not mention any
"Made in England" lettering. So it sounds like mine may not have had
that. I did have a Reynolds 531 decal at the top-front of the seat
tube, plus a "Carlton" decal at the bottom-front of the seat tube.
But that Carlton decal was mostly destroyed by the previous owner.

- Frank Krygowski

On Sep 29, 4:01 am, [email protected] (Donald Gillies) wrote:

> Second of all, these are not decals ~ they are transfers. I am going
> to be making transfers one of these days, so stay tuned.

Hmm. What's the difference between a decal and a transfer?

- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] wrote:
> Hmm. What's the difference between a decal and a transfer?

Most people think of lacquer film waterslides when they hear 'decal'.
'Transfer' is a broader term for those and also varnish-set, Pre-A-Ply
and others.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 15:59:43 -0000, [email protected] wrote:

>On Sep 29, 4:01 am, [email protected] (Donald Gillies) wrote:
>>

>> Second of all, these are not decals ~ they are transfers. I am going
>> to be making transfers one of these days, so stay tuned.

>Hmm. What's the difference between a decal and a transfer?
>
>- Frank Krygowski

Dear Frank,

Jobst de-Cals to the Alps for vacations, but he comes back.

He likes Palo Alto too much to transfer to Europe permanently.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 15:59:43 -0000, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >On Sep 29, 4:01 am, [email protected] (Donald Gillies) wrote:
> >>

> >> Second of all, these are not decals ~ they are transfers. I am going
> >> to be making transfers one of these days, so stay tuned.

> >Hmm. What's the difference between a decal and a transfer?
> >
> >- Frank Krygowski

> Dear Frank,
>
> Jobst de-Cals to the Alps for vacations, but he comes back.
>
> He likes Palo Alto too much to transfer to Europe permanently.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

In his supernumerary condition, he likes the weather better out here.

Chas.

On 29 Sep 2007 01:01:39 -0700, [email protected] (Donald Gillies)
wrote:

>Bob, i got ya covered, with my 1970 super course, my 1970
>international, and 1971 international. By the way, in 1973 they went
>to block lettering, so your bike is 1972 or earlier.
>
>First of all, the best renditions of this art in _decal form_ are
>available from michael swantak at www.velographicdecals.com. He is a
>raleigh lover ( as am I ) but has done many more decals (although I
>helped him to improve some of his raleigh ones ...)

Thanks Don. I've tried emailing the velographics guy several times and
gotten no response. I've also worked with Nick although I could not
interest him in doing the script version of the Raleigh decal. That
has not been available from Raleigh since shortly after they stopped
using it on bikes in 1973 and I find the block style ugly by
comparison. I can't imagine why they ever changed.

However, I've been working with Cyclomondo out of .au and he is taking
the bull by the horns. I noticed him with several Raleigh decals on
line a couple weeks ago. Based on the feedback I got here and some
other photos we dug up, he is well on his way to a full range of gold
and/or white decals for early 70's to 80's Competitions &
Internationals. They should be available within another week or so.