Lights for children's bikes

D.M. Procida

Guest
Any recommendations? I'm assembling a Wiggle order at the moment.

I need two front and rear sets, to fit on a a Dawes Redtail:

<http://www.dawescycles.com/dawes/redtail-girls.htm>.

More than anything, it's to keep them visible, not to help them see the
1 mile of well-lit road they'll be using once a week in the dark while
riding with an adult.

Daniele

"D.M. Procida" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1i55gkb.rr49hh6x97b4N%[email protected]....
> Any recommendations? I'm assembling a Wiggle order at the moment.
>
> I need two front and rear sets, to fit on a a Dawes Redtail:
>
> <http://www.dawescycles.com/dawes/redtail-girls.htm>.
>
> More than anything, it's to keep them visible, not to help them see the
> 1 mile of well-lit road they'll be using once a week in the dark while
> riding with an adult.
>
> Daniele

Wiggle have a special offer on Reelights at the moment :-
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta... SL100 Front And Rear Light Set For Hub Gears
These are the lights that use magnets fitted onto the spokes to power them. Wiggle only seem to stock the lower spec model (no standlight), though other places (eg Evans etc) do stock the standlight version as well. I'm thinking of ordering a set (or two?). Worth looking on the Reelight site for tech info :-
http://reelight.com.linux98.123hotel.dk/index_en.php
Hope this helps.

--
Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... But the wind is mostly in your face

D.M. Procida wrote:
> Any recommendations? I'm assembling a Wiggle order at the moment.
>
> I need two front and rear sets, to fit on a a Dawes Redtail:
>
> <http://www.dawescycles.com/dawes/redtail-girls.htm>.
>
> More than anything, it's to keep them visible, not to help them see
> the 1 mile of well-lit road they'll be using once a week in the dark
> while riding with an adult.

I'd recommend the same for children as I would for adults:

Front: Smart Polaris II 3-LED or 5-LED

Rear: Cateye TL-LD600

~PB

On 28 Sep, 12:15, [email protected] (D.M.
Procida) wrote:
> Any recommendations? I'm assembling a Wiggle order at the moment.
>
> I need two front and rear sets, to fit on a a Dawes Redtail:
>
> <http://www.dawescycles.com/dawes/redtail-girls.htm>.
>
> More than anything, it's to keep them visible, not to help them see the
> 1 mile of well-lit road they'll be using once a week in the dark while
> riding with an adult.
>
> Daniele

I found the blinkie sets from Wilkinsons ideal for exactly that use

"Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Colin Nelson wrote:
> > Wiggle have a special offer on Reelights at the moment :-
> > http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta... SL100 Front And Rear Light Set For Hub Gears
> > These are the lights that use magnets fitted onto the spokes to power
> > them. Wiggle only seem to stock the lower spec model (no standlight),
> > though other places (eg Evans etc) do stock the standlight version as
> > well. I'm thinking of ordering a set (or two?).

> What for?
>
> ~PB

1. I can afford them.
2. They look as if they're 'fit and forget' (I'm getting rather good at the forgetting bit comes with the pension I suspect).
3. It's two sets of (different) batteries I don't have to keep track of recharging.
4. I think that they will be less likely to get nicked (I don't always remember to remove the present 'blinkies when I park up).
5. I rather like the concept.

--

"Colin Nelson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:io7Li.998$%[email protected]...

"Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Colin Nelson wrote:
> > Wiggle have a special offer on Reelights at the moment :-
> > http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta... SL100 Front And Rear Light Set For Hub Gears
> > These are the lights that use magnets fitted onto the spokes to power
> > them. Wiggle only seem to stock the lower spec model (no standlight),
> > though other places (eg Evans etc) do stock the standlight version as
> > well. I'm thinking of ordering a set (or two?).

> What for?
>
> ~PB

1. I can afford them.
2. They look as if they're 'fit and forget' (I'm getting rather good at the forgetting bit comes with the pension I suspect).
3. It's two sets of (different) batteries I don't have to keep track of recharging.
4. I think that they will be less likely to get nicked (I don't always remember to remove the present 'blinkies when I park up).
5. I rather like the concept.

--
Colin N.

6. They also seem to be the only 'blinkie' lights that meet the legal requirements in the UK (I think).

--

Colin Nelson wrote:

> 1. I can afford them.
> 2. They look as if they're 'fit and forget'
> (I'm getting rather good at the forgetting bit comes with the pension
> I suspect).
> 3. It's two sets of (different) batteries I don't have to
> keep track of recharging.
> 4. I think that they will be less likely to
> get nicked (I don't always remember to remove the present 'blinkies
> when I park up).
> 5. I rather like the concept.

Perhaps misisng on point 1 (bit perhaps not), A basic bottle dynamo with
associated lamps gets you round the battery side of things and nicking
outside of very determined, well equipped and clued-up thieves.

Decent bottles and lamps will come in at a lot more than a pair of fair
battery LED lamps though. The Reelights aren't a real substitute for a
front lamp that actually illuminates the way ahead.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"Colin Nelson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:io7Li.998$%[email protected]...

>"Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
>message >news:[email protected]...
>> Colin Nelson wrote:
>> > Wiggle have a special offer on Reelights at the moment :-
>> > http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360027725&N=Reelight%20SL100%20Front%20And%20Rear%>20Light%20Set%20For%20Hub%20Gears
>> > These are the lights that use magnets fitted onto the spokes to power
>> > them. Wiggle only seem to stock the lower spec model (no standlight),
>> > though other places (eg Evans etc) do stock the standlight version as
>> > well. I'm thinking of ordering a set (or two?).

>> What for?
>>

>1. I can afford them.
>2. They look as if they're 'fit and forget' (I'm getting rather good at the
>forgetting bit
>comes with the pension I suspect).
>3. It's two sets of (different) batteries I don't have to keep track of
>recharging.
>4. I think that they will be less likely to get nicked (I don't always
>remember
>to remove the present 'blinkies when I park up).
>5. I rather like the concept.

Hub dynamo + LED lamps fits 2-5 (don't know about 1), and has the advantage
that you actually get a decent and legal light.

cheers,
clive

Colin Nelson wrote:
> "Pete Biggs" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Colin Nelson wrote:
>>> Wiggle have a special offer on Reelights at the moment :-
>>> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta... SL100 Front And Rear Light Set For Hub Gears
>>> These are the lights that use magnets fitted onto the spokes to
>>> power them. Wiggle only seem to stock the lower spec model (no
>>> standlight), though other places (eg Evans etc) do stock the
>>> standlight version as well. I'm thinking of ordering a set (or
>>> two?).

>> What for?

> 1. I can afford them.
> 2. They look as if they're 'fit and forget' (I'm getting rather good
> at the forgetting bit comes with the pension I suspect).
> 3. It's two sets of (different) batteries I don't have to keep track
> of recharging.
> 4. I think that they will be less likely to get nicked (I don't
> always remember to remove the present 'blinkies when I park up).
> 5. I rather like the concept.

I would expect the amount of power generated in that way to be pathetic.
They're not going to be as good as battery lights. I suspect your money
would be better spent on some (more) reflective tape - which is bound to be
more effective.

~PB

Pete Biggs said the following on 28/09/2007 14:51:

> I would expect the amount of power generated in that way to be pathetic.
> They're not going to be as good as battery lights.

Has anyone actually tried these Reelights? I also suspect that they're
pretty ****, but I thought I'd refrain from comment until I'd seen them
myself :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Paul Boyd wrote:

> Has anyone actually tried these Reelights?

Why bother when the power must be so low?

> I also suspect that
> they're pretty ****, but I thought I'd refrain from comment until I'd
> seen them myself :)

And you didn't suggest them as a solution for the children's bikes either
;-)

~PB

POHB wrote:
> On 28 Sep, 12:15, [email protected] (D.M.
> Procida) wrote:
>> Any recommendations? I'm assembling a Wiggle order at the moment.
>>
>> I need two front and rear sets, to fit on a a Dawes Redtail:
>>
>> <http://www.dawescycles.com/dawes/redtail-girls.htm>.
>>
>> More than anything, it's to keep them visible, not to help them see the
>> 1 mile of well-lit road they'll be using once a week in the dark while
>> riding with an adult.
>>
>> Daniele

> I found the blinkie sets from Wilkinsons ideal for exactly that use

Alsao poundland/world/value etc LEDs for basic flashing lights at um
around 1UKP.

D.M. Procida <[email protected]> wrote:

> Any recommendations? I'm assembling a Wiggle order at the moment.
>
> I need two front and rear sets, to fit on a a Dawes Redtail:
>
> <http://www.dawescycles.com/dawes/redtail-girls.htm>.
>
> More than anything, it's to keep them visible, not to help them see the
> 1 mile of well-lit road they'll be using once a week in the dark while
> riding with an adult.

I found a set of CatEye HL-EL130 which seems to be the same as:

<http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/343>

and a TL-LD130:

<http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/319>.

The front light I chose because it apparently does very well at being
seen from many directions and sheds light at the sides. The rear light
in the set may not be so good, but at £15 from eBay I can afford to test
it.

Daniele
--
For sale on eBay: iMac G4 20" 1.25GHz