tired of the sexism

you are all so sexist do you know that? only time you talk about
womens cycling its how ugly they are (cold sores) or how hot they are,
well maybe it would be better if you talked about the racing!! no one
is ever like Lance is hot, or Lance should wear more makeup. Take a
look at yourselves.

LYNDA

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> you are all so sexist do you know that? only time you talk about
> womens cycling its how ugly they are (cold sores) or how hot they are,
> well maybe it would be better if you talked about the racing!! no one
> is ever like Lance is hot, or Lance should wear more makeup. Take a
> look at yourselves.

I hate to point this out Lynda but there are more than a few posters here
who have worked hard to promote women's racing. Not to say that there aren't
the loud-mouth drink-worshipping fools here but there are normal people as
well if you discount Kveck and Legate and those guys who won't post with
their names.

The question really is - why would that bother you in the first place? This
group is far more intelligent than 90% of the other groups out there.

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>I hate to point this out Lynda but there are more than a few posters here
>who have worked hard to promote women's racing.

More than a few posters natter on about podium girls and
Alison Sydor's looks, too. I figure kids will be kids but
still, ick.
--
Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis - [email protected]

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> you are all so sexist do you know that? only time you talk about
> womens cycling its how ugly they are (cold sores) or how hot they are,
> well maybe it would be better if you talked about the racing!! no one
> is ever like Lance is hot, or Lance should wear more makeup. Take a
> look at yourselves.
>
> LYNDA

How about the phenom Kat Carroll, who recently won the last stage of the
Tour de L'Ardeche? I spoke with her in March at Merco, and she was upbeat,
fun to talk too, and seemed really fit early in the season. She could be the
next great American rider.

http://www.procyclingwomen.com/Kat-Karroll.jpg

wrote:

> you are all so sexist do you know that? only time you talk about
> womens cycling its how ugly they are (cold sores) or how hot they are,
> well maybe it would be better if you talked about the racing!! no one
> is ever like Lance is hot, or Lance should wear more makeup. Take a
> look at yourselves.

There also have been entire threads about Ulrich's cold sores. So it's not
just women and cold sores. It's more a cold sore thing. Coupled with the
saddle sore award from a few years back, maybe just sores of any kind.
Sort of a "sore like an eagle" inspirational message.

If you want to talk about the relative hotness of male bike racers, nobody
would stop you. There was the photo somebody linked to a while back of the
Polish national team looking, well, pole-ish, if you get my drift. You
could dig that back up and start there.

I can't speak for everyone, but I know I don't want to look at everyone
else. Ken's "faces of rbr" made the point that there is a reason none of
us are famous television personalities.

--
Bill Asher

"Melinda Shore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> >I hate to point this out Lynda but there are more than a few posters here
> >who have worked hard to promote women's racing.

> More than a few posters natter on about podium girls and
> Alison Sydor's looks, too. I figure kids will be kids but
> still, ick.
> --
> Melinda Shore

You won't usually get much more then that here, but you might enjoy these
forums below. This forum is mostly about doping scandals, and then, more
doping scandals. This is the (Premiere) cycling-doping usenet newsgroup!
That's a plus if you love to stay on the bleeding edge of doping scandals.
You will hear it here first!

Women pros here are usually admired for their good looks or their
shortcomings, but sometimes you might hit middle ground on some riders
finding common perspectives. The French forum hold a year long contest which
anyone can cast their projections for the riders they think will win the
world cup series. At the end of the year long competion, points are tallied,
and I actually won it this year by two points. I picked winners in 7 out of
9 races, it was fun. The French view women's cycling as specialty events
after the men, and they have a keen audience who are usually pretty solid
fans well informed about women's racing.

But there is a more time consuming serious forum you can interact with at
Chicabike, but it's much too time consuming for me. Many women's teams have
their own forums or blogs, which are loaded with news from inside the
women's pro peleton. Your best bet for up to date steady news and results
come from womenscycling.net in Australia, but Ladiescycling.net not bad, if
you have the patience for their navagation and menus, but on the whole, the
Ausse site has the best race reports, photos and news, although CN does
pretty good sometimes. Velonews is also amazingly very good sometimes at
reporting news inside the women's peleton.

French...
http://cyclisme-feminin.forumpro.fr/

or maybe these..

English...
http://www.cyclingforums.com/f42-women's-cycling.html
http://www.chicabike.be/chicastart.htm

GBMT

On Oct 5, 3:04 pm, William Asher <[email protected]> wrote:
> wrote:

> If you want to talk about the relative hotness of male bike racers, nobody
> would stop you.

That's because in a democracy, you let the information flow free.

On Oct 5, 3:13 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > you are all so sexist do you know that? only time you talk about
> > womens cycling its how ugly they are (cold sores) or how hot they are,
> > well maybe it would be better if you talked about the racing!! no one
> > is ever like Lance is hot, or Lance should wear more makeup. Take a
> > look at yourselves.

> I hate to point this out Lynda but there are more than a few posters here
> who have worked hard to promote women's racing. Not to say that there aren't
> the loud-mouth drink-worshipping fools here but there are normal people as
> well if you discount Kveck and Legate and those guys who won't post with
> their names.
>
> The question really is - why would that bother you in the first place? This
> group is far more intelligent than 90% of the other groups out there.

And I think that Marlene started a thread on which of the guys was hot
a while ago. This complaint is BS. Go to a group with large numbers of
women and they'll be talking about which sports star, athlete, or
actor has great skills, but also which has the best ass, or is the
cutest, etc...same as here. A lot of the gay/lesbian boards are the
same way, but IMO even more open about sensuality.
Generally people talk about the sexuality, or attractiveness of those
they are inclined towards. What a shock?
Only a few ignorant jerkoffs have slammed women who compete. The vast
majority here recognise both their athletic skills, and the fact that
a fit body is attractive.
What's the hang-up with discussing that part of it? Do you complain
in female driven groups too?
Bill C

On Oct 5, 3:59 pm, [email protected] (Melinda Shore) wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>
> >I hate to point this out Lynda but there are more than a few posters here
> >who have worked hard to promote women's racing.

> More than a few posters natter on about podium girls and
> Alison Sydor's looks, too. I figure kids will be kids but
> still, ick.

Does the natter really matter?
If you put someone attractive in skin tight spandex the opposite (or
interested) sex will notice.
This is as it should be.

Better to be nattered than neutered.

On Oct 5, 2:05 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> you are all so sexist do you know that? only time you talk about
> womens cycling its how ugly they are (cold sores) or how hot they are,
> well maybe it would be better if you talked about the racing!! no one
> is ever like Lance is hot, or Lance should wear more makeup. Take a
> look at yourselves.
>
> LYNDA

1. Lance is hot. Even Kunich thinks so and has admitted to it here at
least once.

2. Lance got in trouble for wearing makeup, if you'll remember.

3. There is are reasons for "sexism". Here is one illustration:

http://cucinatestarossa.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/red_bike_shorts_1.jpg

--D-y

In article <[email protected]>,
RicodJour <[email protected]> wrote:
>If you put someone attractive in skin tight spandex the opposite (or
>interested) sex will notice.
>This is as it should be.

Those elite women racers work hard, have talent, and deserve
to be taken seriously as athletes.
--
Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis - [email protected]

On Oct 5, 2:05 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> you are all so sexist do you know that? only time you talk about
> womens cycling its how ugly they are (cold sores) or how hot they are,
> well maybe it would be better if you talked about the racing!! no one
> is ever like Lance is hot, or Lance should wear more makeup. Take a
> look at yourselves.
>
> LYNDA

Maybe if women's cycling were compelling in any way, I'd talk about
it.

Probably not though. Most women's sports are boring compared to the
men's version. Tennis is an exception, but I cannot think of any more.

So what if people talk about beauty. Take up that argument with
society as a whole.

On Oct 5, 6:45 pm, [email protected] (Melinda Shore) wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>
> RicodJour <[email protected]> wrote:
> >If you put someone attractive in skin tight spandex the opposite (or
> >interested) sex will notice.
> >This is as it should be.

> Those elite women racers work hard, have talent, and deserve
> to be taken seriously as athletes.

Everywhere? RESPECT THE ATHLETES, IN EVERY CORNER OF THE INTERNET.

So start a thread about them. In this very post, you didn't try, you
just complained.

Really though, it will just fall apart, as hardly any men give a darn
about female sports of any kind.

It's great if the women are into it and get something from it. But
just don't expect others to enjoy watching their races, or talking
about their races, as much as they do the men.

Is this a surprise? You're maybe the 10th poster in RBR that I have
seen in the 10 years I've been reading it. What do you expect of a
male-dominated forum. It's laughable that anyone would think we'd talk
about whatever female racer managed to rise above the rest of the
nameless bunch.

On Oct 5, 7:34 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Probably not though. Most women's sports are boring compared to the
> men's version. Tennis is an exception, but I cannot think of any more.

Golf.

> So what if people talk about beauty. Take up that argument with
> society as a whole.

The ironic thing here (IMHO) is that women are more acute in their
observations and assessments of physical attractiveness in either
gender.

There's a reason for that, too. No more pictures. --D-y

> I hate to point this out Lynda but there are more than a few posters here
> who have worked hard to promote women's racing.

Absolutely. Take for example the selfless work of Gone Before My Time/
Sierraman and his procyclingwomen website. One would be hard-pressed
to find a more sterling example of stocking.

On 5 Oct 2007 19:45:40 -0400, [email protected] (Melinda Shore) wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
>RicodJour <[email protected]> wrote:
>>If you put someone attractive in skin tight spandex the opposite (or
>>interested) sex will notice.
>>This is as it should be.

>Those elite women racers work hard, have talent, and deserve
>to be taken seriously as athletes.

And... they're really hot.

Gotta admit there's a bit of locker room foolishness, not unexpected in a sports
fan and participant group. Mostly we try to act like a grown-up's locker room
instead of middle school locker room. Mostly we fall somewhere in between.

OTOH, we do, mostly know how hard elite cyclists work how much respect they
deserve. Or not. You'll notice that everyone in here claims more savvy than any
DS and more tactical cunning than any rider, male or female. So in that context,
the women aren't treated worse than any one else.

Then there is the part about many of us making fools of ourselves.

On Oct 5, 12:59 pm, [email protected] (Melinda Shore) wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>
> >I hate to point this out Lynda but there are more than a few posters here
> >who have worked hard to promote women's racing.

> More than a few posters natter on about podium girls and
> Alison Sydor's looks, too. I figure kids will be kids but
> still, ick.

Hey, if this thread
http://groups.google.com/group/rec....7fe157c4259/44f542ab97884d0d#44f542ab97884d0d
happened (see Amit's response in post 100 for the relevance)
and still our friendly neighborhood stockers come back for more,
it's going to be difficult to completely reform the place.

RBR is a lot like any local training ride. A lot of the bad
language and locker room towel-snapping is harmless
woofing, a few people actually learn something useful,
and there's a couple of creepy guys over in the corner.

Occasionally blowing up at them is perfectly understandable
(and maybe necessary) but actually changing the hardcases
(the actually sexist ones) is difficult.

Ben

in message <[email protected]>, Tom Kunich
('cyclintom@yahoo. com') wrote:

> The question really is - why would that bother you in the first place?
> This group is far more intelligent than 90% of the other groups out
> there.

Ouch.

I really, really hope that this is not true - if it is, then there is no
hope for the human race.

;; when in the ****, the wise man plants courgettes

in message <[email protected]>, Melinda Shore
('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> RicodJour <[email protected]> wrote:
>>If you put someone attractive in skin tight spandex the opposite (or
>>interested) sex will notice.
>>This is as it should be.

> Those elite women racers work hard, have talent, and deserve
> to be taken seriously as athletes.

True.

Being recognised as being sexually attractive does not mean that you are
not also, and simultaneously, and equally recognised as a serious athlete.
Athletes - of both genders - tend to be in excellent physical shape, and
that's a good step towards being attractive.

I'd agree that the majority of posts on this group - on all topics, not
merely on the matter of pulchritude - are foolish, puerile and devoid of
intelligent thought. Every group has its own culture, its own in jokes,
and the in-joke here seems to be to be as loutish, boorish and unthinking
as possible.

But to carefully avoid noticing people's sexual attractiveness, to
deliberately refrain from commenting on it, is foolish and dishonest, and
is a step on the slippery slope which leads to Taleban-style puritanism,
which does not benefit women one little bit.

Mind you, I'm a dumbass, and I think a lot of the women riders are hot. So
what do I know?

Just as defying the law of gravity through building aircraft requires
careful design and a lot of effort, so too does defying laws of
economics. It seems to be a deeply ingrained aspect of humanity to
forever strive to improve things, so unquestioning acceptance of a
free market system seems to me to be unnatural. ;; Charles Bryant

William Asher wrote:
> If you want to talk about the relative hotness of male bike racers, nobody
> would stop you.

And Kunich would be disillusioned if the rest of us didn't participate.