KFC Gravy Recipe

Myrl Jeffcoat

Guest
I'm almost too embarrassed to admit this - but I absolutely adore
KFC's gravy. There seems to be some spice in it that I can't
identify. Would any of you have a clue what KFC puts in their gravy,
or have a recipe to make it?

Myrl Jeffcoat

"Myrl Jeffcoat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm almost too embarrassed to admit this - but I absolutely
> adore KFC's gravy. There seems to be some spice in it
> that I can't identify. Would any of you have a clue what
> KFC puts in their gravy, or have a recipe to make it?

topsecretrecipes.com has a clone available for $0.79. I haven't purchased
or tried it, myself. I get a flavor reminiscent of KFC's gravy by adding
a salt blend with aromatic herbs. Specifically: sel fin aux herbes
aromatiques from Sel Marin de l'Ile de Ré -- a gift from a friend who'd
recently been to that region of France. It contains salt, thyme, onion,
rosemary, bay leaf (laurel), celery, carrot, leek and parsley.

HTH
-j

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:
> I'm almost too embarrassed to admit this - but I absolutely adore
> KFC's gravy. There seems to be some spice in it that I can't
> identify. Would any of you have a clue what KFC puts in their gravy,
> or have a recipe to make it?

I would hazard a guess at "onion powder" - but to be honest Myrl, I
don't like the stuff myself - sorry - so I've never really tried to find
out...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:
> I'm almost too embarrassed to admit this - but I absolutely adore
> KFC's gravy. There seems to be some spice in it that I can't
> identify. Would any of you have a clue what KFC puts in their gravy,
> or have a recipe to make it?
>
> Myrl Jeffcoat

Buy a couple of packets of McCormick's Herbed Brown Gravy Mix. They seem to
buy it by the ton.

Jill

Myrl Jeffcoat <[email protected]> dropped this
news:[email protected]: in
rec.food.cooking

> I'm almost too embarrassed to admit this - but I absolutely adore
> KFC's gravy. There seems to be some spice in it that I can't
> identify. Would any of you have a clue what KFC puts in their gravy,
> or have a recipe to make it?
>
> Myrl Jeffcoat

I've got a couple of those copycat cookbooks laying around here someplace.
If I find it I'll put it out in a separate post. If you don't see the
post, I couldn't find it.

Michael

--
Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their
food, and tyrannize their teachers.

to email: dog3 at charter dot net

On Oct 6, 12:10 am, Myrl Jeffcoat <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm almost too embarrassed to admit this - but I absolutely adore
> KFC's gravy. There seems to be some spice in it that I can't
> identify. Would any of you have a clue what KFC puts in their gravy,
> or have a recipe to make it?

Ever had Popeye's gravy?

> Myrl Jeffcoat

--Bryan

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:
> I'm almost too embarrassed to admit this - but I absolutely adore
> KFC's gravy. There seems to be some spice in it that I can't
> identify. Would any of you have a clue what KFC puts in their gravy,
> or have a recipe to make it?
>
> Myrl Jeffcoat

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the secret ingredients were
chicken bouillion or base, black pepper and lots of MSG.

gloria p

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:
> I'm almost too embarrassed to admit this - but I absolutely adore
> KFC's gravy. There seems to be some spice in it that I can't
> identify. Would any of you have a clue what KFC puts in their gravy,
> or have a recipe to make it?
>
> Myrl Jeffcoat

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the secret ingredients were
chicken bouillion or base, black pepper and lots of MSG.

gloria p

"Myrl Jeffcoat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm almost too embarrassed to admit this - but I absolutely adore
> KFC's gravy. There seems to be some spice in it that I can't
> identify. Would any of you have a clue what KFC puts in their gravy,
> or have a recipe to make it?
>
> Myrl Jeffcoat

To me it tastes the same as the gravy you buy in cans. They probably spike
it up with some chicken base or bouillon or MSG or something. To me "real"
grave just is not that salty. I mean when your lips crinkle it has too much
salt.

Paul

Bobo Bonobo® <[email protected]> dropped this news:1191693834.589104.94740
@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com: in rec.food.cooking

> On Oct 6, 12:10 am, Myrl Jeffcoat <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm almost too embarrassed to admit this - but I absolutely adore
>> KFC's gravy. There seems to be some spice in it that I can't
>> identify. Would any of you have a clue what KFC puts in their gravy,
>> or have a recipe to make it?

> Ever had Popeye's gravy?

I have and it's good if you put some of those cajun sprinkle thingys in it.
I like the cajun sprinkles they put in the bag. I've used it on other
things in recipes here at home.

Michael

--
Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their
food, and tyrannize their teachers.
- Socrates

to email: dog3 at charter dot net

Puester <[email protected]> dropped this news:RWQNi.182965
[email protected]: in rec.food.cooking

> Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:
>> I'm almost too embarrassed to admit this - but I absolutely adore
>> KFC's gravy. There seems to be some spice in it that I can't
>> identify. Would any of you have a clue what KFC puts in their gravy,
>> or have a recipe to make it?
>>
>> Myrl Jeffcoat
>>

> It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the secret ingredients were
> chicken bouillion or base, black pepper and lots of MSG.

I wouldn't doubt the MSG at all.

Michael

--

On Oct 6, 7:04 pm, "Michael \"Dog3\"" <don'[email protected]> wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo® <[email protected]> dropped this news:1191693834.589104.94740
> @w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com: in rec.food.cooking
>
> > On Oct 6, 12:10 am, Myrl Jeffcoat <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I'm almost too embarrassed to admit this - but I absolutely adore
> >> KFC's gravy. There seems to be some spice in it that I can't
> >> identify. Would any of you have a clue what KFC puts in their gravy,
> >> or have a recipe to make it?

> > Ever had Popeye's gravy?

> I have and it's good if you put some of those cajun sprinkle thingys in it.
> I like the cajun sprinkles they put in the bag. I've used it on other
> things in recipes here at home.

The Brentwood Popeye's accepts Church's coupons.

> Michael

--Bryan

On Oct 6, 3:19 am, "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:
> > I'm almost too embarrassed to admit this - but I absolutely adore
> > KFC's gravy. There seems to be some spice in it that I can't
> > identify. Would any of you have a clue what KFC puts in their gravy,
> > or have a recipe to make it?

> > Myrl Jeffcoat

> Buy a couple of packets of McCormick's Herbed Brown Gravy Mix. They seem to
> buy it by the ton.
>
> Jill

Really - KFC uses McCormick's Herbed Brown Gravy Mix??? That would be
too easy!

Myrl Jeffcoat

On Oct 6, 6:04 pm, "Michael \"Dog3\"" <don'[email protected]> wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo® <[email protected]> dropped this news:1191693834.589104.94740
> @w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com: in rec.food.cooking
>
> > On Oct 6, 12:10 am, Myrl Jeffcoat <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I'm almost too embarrassed to admit this - but I absolutely adore
> >> KFC's gravy. There seems to be some spice in it that I can't
> >> identify. Would any of you have a clue what KFC puts in their gravy,
> >> or have a recipe to make it?

> > Ever had Popeye's gravy?

> I have and it's good if you put some of those cajun sprinkle thingys in it.
> I like the cajun sprinkles they put in the bag. I've used it on other
> things in recipes here at home.
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their
> food, and tyrannize their teachers.
> - Socrates
>
> to email: dog3 at charter dot net

I don't "think" I've ever had "popeye" gravy. What is it?? I
remember as a new bride (many decades ago), I made gravy for the first
time. I used equal parts of milk, flour, and grease. . .It' rolled
out of the gravy boat, in one complete ball. My new husband said,
"You'll do better next time";-)

Michael, I love your "bi-lines" about kids. . .One of my favorites is,
"Raising kids today, is like nailing Jello to a tree."

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:

> On Oct 6, 6:04 pm, "Michael \"Dog3\"" <don'[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Ever had Popeye's gravy?

> I don't "think" I've ever had "popeye" gravy. What is it??

Popeye's is another fried chicken chain, far superior (in my opinion)
to KFC.

Brian

won't shut up.

On Oct 7, 1:45 am, "Default User" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:

> > I don't "think" I've ever had "popeye" gravy. What is it??

> Popeye's is another fried chicken chain, far superior (in my opinion)
> to KFC.

IMO, superior to all the other chicken chains. My only complaint is
the size of pieces. Last week, I posted to a.f.fast-food with the
topic, "Robbin' the cradle at Popeye's," which was about how young the
chickens must be that Popeye's uses. Luckily--or unluckily for my
waistline--the Popeye's near us takes competitors' coupons, so I use
Church's coupons there a lot. Their spicy chicken w/ mashed potatoes
and biscuit is fast food at its best.

> Brian

--Bryan

On Oct 6, 11:45 pm, "Default User" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:

> > I don't "think" I've ever had "popeye" gravy. What is it??

> Popeye's is another fried chicken chain, far superior (in my opinion)
> to KFC.
>
> Brian
>
> --
> If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
> won't shut up.
> -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

I don't think we have "Popeye's" here in Sacramento. . .sigh!

On Oct 7, 8:11 am, Myrl Jeffcoat <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 6, 11:45 pm, "Default User" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:

> > > I don't "think" I've ever had "popeye" gravy. What is it??

> > Popeye's is another fried chicken chain, far superior (in my opinion)
> > to KFC.

> > Brian

> > --
> > If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
> > won't shut up.
> > -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

> I don't think we have "Popeye's" here in Sacramento. . .sigh!

There are three, right in town:
7229 Stockton Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95823
6631 Watt Ave.
N. Highlands, CA 95660
6502 Antelope Road
Citrus Heights, CA 95621

The one on Stockton has printable coupons on the website, http://popeyes.com/

You also have Del Taco. Their green chile ROCKS. They make their
pintos fresh and grate their cheese, in-store. Both their steak and
chicken are pretty darned good too.

--Bryan