or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Regional Cycling Forums › UK and Europe › Saracen NZyme (from Halfords) - A 1st Impression
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Saracen NZyme (from Halfords) - A 1st Impression  

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
This bike is reviewed in August 2003 edition of 'What Mountain Bike' and gets a blue star for 'Best
of the Test'.

Bought one this evening at Halfords for £289.99 and got £50 worth of free accessories (applies to
all bikes over two hundred quid).

Came in a big box partially assembled and my friend built it up in about half an hour,

We went for a run and it performs really well. I love it. Very lightweight too. Even I can lift it.

Steering is aggressive - but after five minutes you soon get the hang, and it adds immensely to the
fun factor. Large chunky tyres hold the road well.

Worth checking out. It's got lots of alloy bits and brand names. Oh, and 24 gears from the
usual stable.

It also goes in the back on a very small car - VW Polo (if you fold down the rear seats take the
front wheel off). Stern first is best.

Thanks to all in this group who helped me make this decision.

Sheila

PS Only one prob...Where on earth does the front (clear) reflector go? Round which 'bar'? ;-)
post #2 of 6
Thread Starter 

Re: Saracen NZyme (from Halfords) - A 1st Impression

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 09:30:21 +0100, Michael Kent <inthemicz@SCOOBYDOOBYDOOblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 02:04:03 GMT, MeMyselfI <me@teranews.com> wrote:
>
>>This bike is reviewed in August 2003 edition of 'What Mountain Bike' and gets a blue star for
>>'Best of the Test'.
>>
>>Bought one this evening at Halfords for £289.99 and got £50 worth of free accessories (applies to
>>all bikes over two hundred quid).

snip

>>PS Only one prob...Where on earth does the front (clear) reflector go? Round which 'bar'? ;-)
>
>
>I think i'm gonna have to dissagree with you there. I work in a halfords store and everyone of
>these that we have sold has had problems.

What sorts of problems - specifically? Been out on this one today and it seems to work just fine.
Was I just lucky then? Or blissfully bad at recognising faults? ;-)

>You could have got a GT Agressor 3 for the same money and its a better bike.
>
>But good luck with the saracen I hope it works ok for you.
>
>Cheers Michael Kent
post #3 of 6

Re: Saracen NZyme (from Halfords) - A 1st Impression

> >Came in a big box partially assembled and my friend built it up in about half an hour,

Did Anyone offer to build it for you? If not complain, they should offer to PDI all new
bikes. Complain.

> >
> >We went for a run and it performs really well. I love it. Very lightweight too. Even I can
> >lift it.
> >
> >Steering is aggressive - but after five minutes you soon get the hang, and it adds immensely to
> >the fun factor. Large chunky tyres hold the road well.

> I think i'm gonna have to dissagree with you there. I work in a halfords store and everyone of
> these that we have sold has had problems.
>
> You could have got a GT Agressor 3 for the same money and its a better bike.
>
> But good luck with the saracen I hope it works ok for you.
>
> Cheers Michael Kent

I used to work in Halfords, did so for 10 years until march this year. Saracen are one of the worst
brands we sold. In a lot of cases Apollos were more reliable than them pound for pound.

I agree with Michael about the GT. You could also have gone for a Carrera which are GTs in
all but name.

Michael did they get rid of Dione at Two Wheel Sales during their purge?
post #4 of 6
Thread Starter 

Re: Saracen NZyme (from Halfords) - A 1st Impression

On 9 Aug 2003 14:48:00 -0700, gregster@4europeancups.com (Al Ford) wrote:

>>
>> >Came in a big box partially assembled and my friend built it up in about half an hour,
>
>Did Anyone offer to build it for you? If not complain, they should offer to PDI all new bikes.
>Complain.

Yes...the two young lads did offer - but we graciously declined, because, built up, the bike would
have been more difficult to get into the car.

(Haven't got a rack yet y'see).

However, though I hear what you guys are saying, I am really delighted with the Saracen Nzyme.
Since last contributing I've been out on it again, and my good impressions are now only better
than before.

It seems pretty well engineered to me, but I suppose time will tell huh?

Sheila
post #5 of 6

Re: Saracen NZyme (from Halfords) - A 1st Impression

> >Michael did they get rid of Dione at Two Wheel Sales during their purge?
>
>
> Nope shes still there. Is she really that infamous among staff? What stories do you have? Talking
> to her loads at the mo cause madison seem to have a component shortage no seven speed revoshift
> shifters till november whats going on there?

I have only good things to say about Dione. Always mega-helpful, lovely voice (Grrrrrrrrr!), down to
earth and easy to talk to.

Tell her to email me at halfords561@hotmail.com - Tell her Gregs missing her!
post #6 of 6

Re: Saracen NZyme (from Halfords) - A 1st Impression

MeMyselfI wrote:
>
> On 9 Aug 2003 14:48:00 -0700, gregster@4europeancups.com (Al Ford) wrote:
[snip]
>
> However, though I hear what you guys are saying, I am really delighted with the Saracen Nzyme.
> Since last contributing I've been out on it again, and my good impressions are now only better
> than before.
>

That's all that matters, my >£2500 Orange Sub5 got slated in a recent MBR review (top tube too long)
but I've ridden loads of high spec bikes & I wouldn't change the Sub 5 for anything.

Enjoy the new bike & if some of the bits do fall apart, just a few sensible upgrades are
always good fun.

I'd take the advice on a chainstay protector though, if the paint is thin this will stop some pretty
horrible chips.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: UK and Europe
This thread is locked  
Cycling Forums › Forums › Regional Cycling Forums › UK and Europe › Saracen NZyme (from Halfords) - A 1st Impression