PROVISIONS

"Nancy Young" wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote
>
> > Home grown:
> >http://i24.tinypic.com/2aihchv.jpg

> > Din Din:
> >http://i23.tinypic.com/107q8h2.jpg

> Nice! Did you eat that whole steak by yourself?

Are you kidding, with six cats I was lucky to get some... they can eat
faster than I can slice... I think they ate more than half.

My cauliflower and cabbage were small this year but still very good.

But my first attempt at growing celery surprised me, what a difference
from store bought, a rich aroma, remarkable flavor, and it's the
crunchiest! And I have five more still in the ground. Now I need to
perfect my celery growing, I need to plant them much closer together,
I found out that they grow more compact if they touch and they will
also self blanch... the one necessity however is a long growing season
(5 months) and plenty of water. I think anyone can grow celery, needs
very little space, a square foot will easily grow four bunches. So
now we know what to plant in that wet spot.

You'd think after that nice dinner I shouldn't be hungry, but I'm
starving. Why, because I get my flu shot tomorrow and at the same
time I'll get my yearly routine fasting blood test, no eating/drinking
from 9PM.

Sheldon Eieio

"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote

> "Nancy Young" wrote:
>> "Sheldon" wrote
>>
>> > Home grown:
>> >http://i24.tinypic.com/2aihchv.jpg

>> > Din Din:
>> >http://i23.tinypic.com/107q8h2.jpg

>> Nice! Did you eat that whole steak by yourself?

> Are you kidding, with six cats I was lucky to get some... they can eat
> faster than I can slice... I think they ate more than half.

Geez, my cat just stares until I share a teensy taste of my pot roast.
Or turkey.

> My cauliflower and cabbage were small this year but still very good.

They looked great.

> But my first attempt at growing celery surprised me, what a difference
> from store bought, a rich aroma, remarkable flavor, and it's the
> crunchiest! And I have five more still in the ground. Now I need to
> perfect my celery growing, I need to plant them much closer together,
> I found out that they grow more compact if they touch and they will
> also self blanch... the one necessity however is a long growing season
> (5 months) and plenty of water.

I guess that's what I read, that celery has a long growing season.
Interesting about growing them close together.

> You'd think after that nice dinner I shouldn't be hungry, but I'm
> starving. Why, because I get my flu shot tomorrow and at the same
> time I'll get my yearly routine fasting blood test, no eating/drinking
> from 9PM.

Heh. The minute I can't eat, I get hungry, too. Good luck with your
medical stuff.

nancy

On Oct 11, 12:08?am, "Paco's Tacos" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Home grown:
> >http://i24.tinypic.com/2aihchv.jpg

> > Din Din:
> >http://i23.tinypic.com/107q8h2.jpg

> Was that a picture of "Din Din" for 10/10/2007? Or an old picture? The
> steak packaging that is displayed has a "Sell By" date of Aug. 22.

An old steak. I usually don't freeze tender steak but this was one of
those I mentioned a while ago that were too good a price to forego.

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:25:31 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

> Din Din:
> http://i23.tinypic.com/107q8h2.jpg

A steak that thin we call "sandwich steak".

And after all that *****ing you do about "freezing steak ruins it
- only dumb wops freeze steak!", there you are: Cooking a thawed,
frozen steak.

Either that or you've been aging it in your fridge for almost 2
months.

Doh!

-sw

On Oct 11, 7:42?am, "Janet B." <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...> Home grown:
> >http://i24.tinypic.com/2aihchv.jpg

> > Din Din:
> >http://i23.tinypic.com/107q8h2.jpg

> Great looking garden stuff! That's the kind of stuff I can't grow because
> my shady yard makes for a really short season. Are you going to be able to
> eat everything before it over-matures in the garden or do you have a method
> to avoid that?

I trade some with neighbors but still I give away more than I use.

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>>> Nice! Did you eat that whole steak by yourself?

>> Are you kidding, with six cats I was lucky to get some... they can
>> eat faster than I can slice... I think they ate more than half.

> Geez, my cat just stares until I share a teensy taste of my pot roast.
> Or turkey.

Funny, my cats have NO interest in human food what-so-ever.

kili

"kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> Are you kidding, with six cats I was lucky to get some... they can
>>> eat faster than I can slice... I think they ate more than half.

>> Geez, my cat just stares until I share a teensy taste of my pot roast.
>> Or turkey.
>>

> Funny, my cats have NO interest in human food what-so-ever.

One of mine does, and one doesn't. And I had a cat for 20 years
who never touched it.

On Oct 10, 10:27 pm, "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > Home grown:
> >http://i24.tinypic.com/2aihchv.jpg

> > Din Din:
> >http://i23.tinypic.com/107q8h2.jpg

$5.99/# might be about the price that I would buy a few extra of such
a good looking porterhouses for the freezer.

> Nice! Did you eat that whole steak by yourself?

MLK said, "I've been to the mountain."
I can tell you that, like Sheldon, I've been to the Crystal Palace.

> nancy

--Bryan

Bobo Bonobo? wrote:
> > "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote

> > > Home grown:
> > >http://i24.tinypic.com/2aihchv.jpg

> > > Din Din:
> > >http://i23.tinypic.com/107q8h2.jpg

> $5.99/# might be about the price that I would buy a few extra of such
> a good looking porterhouses for the freezer.

Decent porterhouse here abouts is typically $9-$10lb, so I thought
these a bargain.

> MLK said, "I've been to the mountain."
> I can tell you that, like Sheldon, I've been to the Crystal Palace.

I can't see the point in name dropping top shelf booze when I'm gonna
use it to spike a blend of Fresca and orange soda.

On Oct 10, 11:23 pm, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:25:31 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
> > Din Din:
> >http://i23.tinypic.com/107q8h2.jpg

> A steak that thin we call "sandwich steak".
>
> And after all that *****ing you do about "freezing steak ruins it
> - only dumb wops freeze steak!", there you are: Cooking a thawed,
> frozen steak.

It didn't really look all the way thawed.

> Either that or you've been aging it in your fridge for almost 2
> months.

The Crystal Palace will take care of any microbes.

> Doh!
>
> -sw

--Bryan

On Oct 11, 8:52?am, Bobo Bonobo? <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 10, 11:23 pm, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:25:31 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
> > > Din Din:
> > >http://i23.tinypic.com/107q8h2.jpg

> > A steak that thin we call "sandwich steak".

> > And after all that *****ing you do about "freezing steak ruins it
> > - only dumb wops freeze steak!", there you are: Cooking a thawed,
> > frozen steak.

> It didn't really look all the way thawed.

Good observation, it was still about half frozen.

On Oct 11, 8:49?am, "Van" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Home grown:
> >http://i24.tinypic.com/2aihchv.jpg

> > Din Din:
> >http://i23.tinypic.com/107q8h2.jpg

> Great looking produce! Thanks for the tip on celery spacing - I'll have to
> try some next season.
>
> Orange Kool-Aid or Hi-C mixed with your Crystal Palace??

This time Fresca and orange soda... I've been known to use black
cherry soda with a wedge of lime.

"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Oct 11, 7:42?am, "Janet B." <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...> Home grown:
>> >http://i24.tinypic.com/2aihchv.jpg

>> > Din Din:
>> >http://i23.tinypic.com/107q8h2.jpg

>> Great looking garden stuff! That's the kind of stuff I can't grow
>> because
>> my shady yard makes for a really short season. Are you going to be able
>> eat everything before it over-matures in the garden or do you have a
>> method
>> to avoid that?

> I trade some with neighbors but still I give away more than I use.

Wish I could do that. But, the Italian woman across the street made a face
when I offered tomatoes. Said she hates them. Offered basil, and she asked
what you're supposed to use it for. House to the right: While devouring some
snow peas back in June, her son asked "Are these vegetables?" His parents
seem to eat nothing but meat and bread, and have politely refused offers of
lettuce & various other things. The kids still come over, though, to
self-medicate. :)