or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Regional Cycling Forums › Australia and New Zealand › Steepest road in Melbourne???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steepest road in Melbourne???

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags
Just before coming to a baseball field (not sure of its name) I left the path, crossed over the road and found the old Templestowe Hill Climb Track.
OK you've got my interested now, I'm going to have to try this hill .

Is the start the historical marker on http://tinyurl.com/ybywym ?
post #2 of 16

Re: Steepest road in Melbourne???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags
Think I might have found the steepest bit of road in Melbourne.....open to challengers....
Here's an Age article that gives some historical details about the true "Wall".

Hitting the wall in style (March 8 2003)
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...826528573.html

Doesn't the BR go past , or near, the Rob Roy hill climb?
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 

Re: Steepest road in Melbourne???

We ended up making the detour to the hill on our MTB ride yesterday. The road is in a pretty poor state (hardly suprising), with plenty of cracks and moss growing on it. The fact that it had just rained when we got there made it rather slippery too.

Both Duncan and I made it up after a few attempts, me with 22x32, Duncan on his 1x9 bike so 32x32. Those bloody fixie riders make the rest of us look soft!

Peter walked up the center of the road with his barometric altimeter equiped HRM to get some elevation information. No mean feat when your shoes won't grip the road I might mention. I'll get the data off him when I see him next, so we should get a reasonable idea of the gradient. I have this feeling it's not 40%, but we shall see.
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 

Re: Steepest road in Melbourne???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB
Gags I had a look at the website but can't work out where exactly the
road is. Can you mark it with this, do a save route, and post the new url.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=610706

Dave B
It's the walking trail leading to a historical marker just below the centre of this map: http://tinyurl.com/ybywym . You'll cross a bridge just after passing the terminal station, and if you look left you can see the sign that marks the start of it.
post #5 of 16

Re: Steepest road in Melbourne???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuy
It's the walking trail leading to a historical marker just below the centre of this map: http://tinyurl.com/ybywym . You'll cross a bridge just after passing the terminal station, and if you look left you can see the sign that marks the start of it.
Heading that way this arvo, lets see how 39x27 goes I'll post the Polar data if I can keep the bike in a straight line.
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 

Re: Steepest road in Melbourne???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplama
Heading that way this arvo, lets see how 39x27 goes I'll post the Polar data if I can keep the bike in a straight line.
I was originally planning to ride the roady out there, but when I got there I realised it wouldn't have been much good. The surface is just too broken up and slick, and you'll struggle for grip.

On the topic of gradient, I got 31% from our elevation data. That's 21 meters climbed over 67.4m of horizontal distance covered (71.9m at the wheel). It'd probably be a bit higher if you stuck to the left (inside) of the road rather than the middle. I should also point out that this is less than precise, given elevation is being recorded in 1m incremements and distance in 2m increments. So assuming the data was recorded accurately I can say it's in the range of 27-35%.

If you want to see the data and my convoluted maths, go here: http://web.aanet.com.au/guy/hill.xls
post #7 of 16

Re: Steepest road in Melbourne???

Hill 1, Lama 0.

First thoughts... BLOODY HELL! I looked at the first real rise and thought 'no way'.. then I went for it anyway. In 39x27 I could get the power down, but weight distribution went, the rear went wizzzzzz, and I came to a halt after about 30m! So I sat there in the middle of the road wondering how I'd get down!..

I've only seen a little bit of it, but it is truly amazing. I was going to take photos but I'll need a better camera than my phone has. We'll do a car trip out there one day and snap away.

As I was leaving there was a family reading the historical marker sign just off the main road. They laughed when I said "trust me, its realllllllly steep!", I bet they stopped laughing when they saw the monster themselves!
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 

Re: Steepest road in Melbourne???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplama
I've only seen a little bit of it, but it is truly amazing. I was going to take photos but I'll need a better camera than my phone has. We'll do a car trip out there one day and snap away.
There isn't much to see. It ends at the top of the wall, which is 70 meters from where it starts. The rest of the track has been swallowed by the housing estate.

You're nuts trying on a roady BTW, I don't think you could get enough grip. I could get a low enough gear by swapping my 11-23 with a 12-27 (I've got one of those funky cranksets with three rings), but the slickness of the road would still do me in. Doing it on a SS will be fun though :-).
post #9 of 16

Re: Steepest road in Melbourne???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuy
There isn't much to see. It ends at the top of the wall, which is 70 meters from where it starts. The rest of the track has been swallowed by the housing estate.

You're nuts trying on a roady BTW, I don't think you could get enough grip. I could get a low enough gear by swapping my 11-23 with a 12-27 (I've got one of those funky cranksets with three rings), but the slickness of the road would still do me in. Doing it on a SS will be fun though :-).
Photos don't do hills/steepness justice.. who's got a helmet cam?

hippy
post #10 of 16

Re: Steepest road in Melbourne???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags
myself "that bit of rubber looks a bit like a snake".....next minute the
rubber moved!!! It was a tiger snake about 4 foot long and I stopped and
stamped my feet a bit until it got off the road (I herded it to the side of
the road away from the Yarra Trail).
Damn it snake charmer! That climb is just up the road from work... and I've just stuck my MTB up for sale so won't be riding it again

My long term goal is to get a Scott XC dualie by next winter for some 6hr/12hr action.. then I'll be up for some vertical snake action! oh god.. what have I just said!?


lama
post #11 of 16

Re: Steepest road in Melbourne???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags
I rode back out there again tonight after dinner
{snipped}
We didn't see you there

My bro and I took a trip out there last night too. My pathetic low speed handling MTBing skills meant that I only got about halfway up before I started to drift into the dirt by the side and freak out. My bro however managed to get pretty close to the top before bailing, which he says was caused by lungs not legs.

So... how steep is it?
http://tinyurl.com/yfwdqt

(forgot to bring a tape measure to figure it out)
post #12 of 16

Re: Steepest road in Melbourne???

Gags wrote:
> "Duncan" <abc@def.com> wrote in message
> news:en9njh$14fc$1@otis.netspace.net.au...
> > "SomeGuy" <SomeGuy.2jpg8b@no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote in message
> > news:SomeGuy.2jpg8b@no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com...
> >>
> >> We ended up making the detour to the hill on our MTB ride yesterday. The
> >> road is in a pretty poor state (hardly suprising), with plenty of cracks
> >> and moss growing on it. The fact that it had just rained when we got
> >> there made it rather slippery too.
> >>
> >> Both Duncan and I made it up after a few attempts, me with 22x32,
> >> Duncan on his 1x9 bike so 32x32. Those bloody fixie riders make the
> >> rest of us look soft!

> >
> > Of course it should be pointed out that traction was the No. 1 issue.
> > Getting half way up, skidding out then having to sit on your bum and crawl
> > to the side to avoid literaly sliding back down the road was quite
> > amusing. Momentum and weight distribution was the key.
> > Now the next feat is getting up on a 2:1 ratio (in the dry). I put the
> > challenge to Oldy the SS climbing legend.
> >
> >

>
> I rode back out there again tonight after dinner and decided to do a bit of
> an interval session. I did the hill five times, with about a 2 min slow
> cruise at the top to get my heart rate below 150 before going back down each
> time. I went down along the fence near the housing estate and then joined
> on the hill climb track at the bottom and did it all again. My HR got up to
> 180 on the first one and increased for each subsequent climb, peaking at 196
> bpm on the final one. I used 22/28 this time around (20.4 inches) which was
> my second gear in the granny ring. After the final climb I cruised back
> down the road throught the housing estate (some nice houses there!!!!) and
> then as I was going across the bridge to get back on the trail I thought to
> myself "that bit of rubber looks a bit like a snake".....next minute the
> rubber moved!!! It was a tiger snake about 4 foot long and I stopped and
> stamped my feet a bit until it got off the road (I herded it to the side of
> the road away from the Yarra Trail).
>
> I might have to make this a regular workout and see how far up the cluster I
> can get before the legs give out. Not sure that I will ever be able to make
> it on the SS though (38/16) but hopefully I might make it out of the granny
> ring!!!!
>
> Gags


I notice some of you have already found my photos of this road. My
brother must have posted a link on BV forums or something.
http://www.qweop.net/2007/01/03/stee...d-in-melbourne

The pic with the spirit level is on the steepest part which is that
last 15-20m - I'm holding it pretty much horizontal so you get the idea
of how steep it is.
post #13 of 16

Re: Steepest road in Melbourne???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harng Goh
Gags wrote:

I notice some of you have already found my photos of this road. My
brother must have posted a link on BV forums or something.
http://www.qweop.net/2007/01/03/stee...d-in-melbourne

The pic with the spirit level is on the steepest part which is that
last 15-20m - I'm holding it pretty much horizontal so you get the idea
of how steep it is.
I'd thought Martyr Road in Warburton was the steepest road around - I'll have to compare the two this weekend (not that I'm intending to ride up either one!).
post #14 of 16

Re: Steepest road in Melbourne???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleve
RobM wrote:
> Harng Goh Wrote:
> > Gags wrote:
> >
> > I notice some of you have already found my photos of this road. My
> > brother must have posted a link on BV forums or something.
> > http://www.qweop.net/2007/01/03/stee...d-in-melbourne
> >
> > The pic with the spirit level is on the steepest part which is that
> > last 15-20m - I'm holding it pretty much horizontal so you get the idea
> > of how steep it is.

>
> I'd thought Martyr Road in Warburton was the steepest road around -
> I'll have to compare the two this weekend (not that I'm intending to
> ride up either one!).


The thing to remember is that the Templestow road was specifically made
for hillclimbing racing - *not* for general road use - I don't think it
was even really open except for races?
Many cars wouldn't be able to get up it at all, I suspect.
So it probably doesn't count as a regular road - the Dunedan council
can rest easy ....
For a regularly used suburban road, with houses and traffic an' all, Sunnybrook Dve in Wheeler's Hill (Melb) is a beeyatch. No idea of gradient, apart from being seriously nasty.
post #15 of 16

Re: Steepest road in Melbourne???

On 2007-01-05, warrwych <warrwych.2jx6ip@no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> For a regularly used suburban road, with houses and traffic an' all,
> Sunnybrook Dve in Wheeler's Hill (Melb) is a beeyatch. No idea of
> gradient, apart from being seriously nasty.


I remember that road - we used to cycle down it (and back up) when we
cycled out to Jells Park. It was a major achievement when I managed to
cycle up it without stopping to walk - and that was on the old three
speed!

Wonder if I could do it without resorting to the granny gears (aka the
smallest of the triple front rings) today.

--
My Usenet From: address now expires after two weeks. If you email me, and
the mail bounces, try changing the bit before the "@" to "usenet".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Australia and New Zealand
Cycling Forums › Forums › Regional Cycling Forums › Australia and New Zealand › Steepest road in Melbourne???