Many Q's about wheelbuilding and spokes

scotthue

Guest
a) Does anyone make Ti spokes for 36ers (thats 376mm)

b) if any one has Ti spokes on their 36er, how do they corner

c) if I can get Ti spokes for my 36er should I get the round or bladed

d) Once spokes are taken off of a wheel can they be put back on

e) Do you need new nipples with new spokes

(I do have someone to help with lacing the wheel but it is easier to
ask Q's here than to ask him)

--
scotthue
http://www.usenet.com

scotthue wrote:
> a) Does anyone make Ti spokes for 36ers (thats 376mm)
>
> b) if any one has Ti spokes on their 36er, how do they corner
>
> c) if I can get Ti spokes for my 36er should I get the round or bladed
>
> d) Once spokes are taken off of a wheel can they be put back on
>
> e) Do you need new nipples with new spokes
>
> (I do have someone to help with lacing the wheel but it is easier to
> ask Q's here than to ask him)

I don't know whether you can get 376mm Ti spokes, but I expect you
can.

b) The material used to make the spokes will have no discernible effect
on the way the wheel rides.

c) Round will be stronger and easier to work with, bladed might have
slightly better aerodynamic qualities, although I expect on a unicycle
any advantage of bladed spokes will be negated by wheel wobble.

d) I generally would advise against re-using spokes that have been
laced into a wheel; it is likely that they will be more prone to
failure. This might be less true with Ti spokes, I'm not sure. It is
certainly possible to re-use spokes that have been unlaced from a
wheel. It is quite tedious to gently remove all the spokes from a
wheel; if I'm de-lacing a wheel I usually use a bolt cutter. (Be
careful where your spokes are pointing).

e) I re-use nipples fairly regularly; in general I'd say they need
replacement only if the spoke wrench faces have started to round off.
(Or if you're using different-sized spokes, of course).

--
tholub
http://www.usenet.com

scotthue wrote:
> (I do have someone to help with lacing the wheel but it is easier to ask
> Q's here than to ask him)

As always, 'Sheldon Brown's site'
(http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html) should answer any questions
you have, and even some you didn't know about.

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity. -- François-Marie Arouet de
Voltaire
http://www.usenet.com

tholub wrote:
> b) The material used to make the spokes will have no discernible effect
> on the way the wheel rides.

I know this is not true from bike experience and reviews. What happens
is that the Ti spokes are more flexible (even if you get them very
tight) so cornering isn't as tight. I was just wondering how much of a
difference it makes on a 36er as I haven't tried one with Ti spokes

--
scotthue
http://www.usenet.com

Maybe email UDC UK Roger. UDC USA doesn't list them, I bet they can't
help. Of course you can get them. Maybe Roger or USA UDC folk will tell
you who to call. Custom stuff is always available if you have time and
money. It might cost $, but I am sure a set of 36 ti spokes is doable.

All parts that aren't broke can be reused. Especially on uni's used for
street commuting, where sudden failure isn't a safety issue. You might
consider it a waste of time in some cases. A lot depends on
application. Someone who rides like Kris may consider reusing an old
part a waste of time, while a less forceful rider would ride the same
uni for years with no trouble.

A good wrench learns where to look for wear, cracks etc. Most parts are
tossed way before their time. When I work on other peoples stuff, I
toss a lot of parts into the trash. Way more then if it was my ride. I
think all wrenches are like this.

We must stand by our labor. You pay for the parts.

A wrench will get blamed for every part that goes bad, and asked to
provide free labor to make good. So parts fly into the trash like water
over a falls. And the customer gets the "really good fix". And the
wrench cannot be blamed if a new part fails. It is not his fault.

All Pro wrenches think this way. That is one of the reasons it is so
much cheaper to learn to work on your own stuff. You can afford to
gamble a bit on older parts. The LBS cannot, and won't try.

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com

It took about a year of messing around with spoke manufacturers to
persuade them to make stainless coker spokes, I dunno how long or how
expensive it'd be to get custom ti spokes made in silly long lengths.

Yeah you can reuse spokes/nipples, I've had some spokes break after a
rebuild cos they were dinged and bent, but that was a wheel that had
been hammered a lot.

Joe

--
joemarshall