how to remove bitter taste from mandarin juice

Linda

Guest
We love mandarins and go through them very quickly, but the last boxful we
bought have a bitter aftertaste. So I decided I'd juice them and make them
into iceblocks - I have a toddler and the weather is pretty hot. Of course
the juice is bitter so I tried adding some honey and lemon to help - and it
did a bit, but not enough. And I still have nearly a full (big) box to get
through. So bearing in mind that I'm making iceblocks, not just leaving it
at juice, what other ideas are there for me to add to make it nicer?
I'm thinking maybe juice some pineapples to add as they are pretty sweet, or
maybe some tricky spice to change the focus? I don't really want to go just
adding sugar, as when I've done it in the past with oranges it just seems to
get sickly sweet by the time the bitter taste is acceptable and I'm trying
to keep it somewhat healthy.
Also I know when you're juicing oranges you don't have to peel them first if
you don't want to, is this the same with mandarins?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Oh pshaw, on Sun 28 Oct 2007 06:06:52a, Linda meant to say...

> We love mandarins and go through them very quickly, but the last boxful
> we bought have a bitter aftertaste. So I decided I'd juice them and
> make them into iceblocks - I have a toddler and the weather is pretty
> hot. Of course the juice is bitter so I tried adding some honey and
> lemon to help - and it did a bit, but not enough. And I still have
> nearly a full (big) box to get through. So bearing in mind that I'm
> making iceblocks, not just leaving it at juice, what other ideas are
> there for me to add to make it nicer? I'm thinking maybe juice some
> pineapples to add as they are pretty sweet, or maybe some tricky spice
> to change the focus? I don't really want to go just adding sugar, as
> when I've done it in the past with oranges it just seems to get sickly
> sweet by the time the bitter taste is acceptable and I'm trying to keep
> it somewhat healthy. Also I know when you're juicing oranges you don't
> have to peel them first if you don't want to, is this the same with
> mandarins? Thanks for any suggestions.

Sometimes a batch of citrus is simply more bitter than at other times. We
have experienced that with oranges grown in our yard. I've never figured
out how to counteract it. If it's tolerable we simply use them, if not we
toss.

--
Wayne Boatwright

I have a rock garden, but three of them died last week.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

--

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 23:06:52 +1000, "Linda" <[email protected]> wrote:

>We love mandarins and go through them very quickly, but the last boxful we
>bought have a bitter aftertaste. So I decided I'd juice them and make them
>into iceblocks - I have a toddler and the weather is pretty hot. Of course
>the juice is bitter so I tried adding some honey and lemon to help - and it
>did a bit, but not enough. And I still have nearly a full (big) box to get
>through. So bearing in mind that I'm making iceblocks, not just leaving it
>at juice, what other ideas are there for me to add to make it nicer?
>I'm thinking maybe juice some pineapples to add as they are pretty sweet, or
>maybe some tricky spice to change the focus? I don't really want to go just
>adding sugar, as when I've done it in the past with oranges it just seems to
>get sickly sweet by the time the bitter taste is acceptable and I'm trying
>to keep it somewhat healthy.
>Also I know when you're juicing oranges you don't have to peel them first if
>you don't want to, is this the same with mandarins?
>Thanks for any suggestions.

Sounds like you used one of those "juicers" that squishes the orange
skin and pulp to extract the juice, like they do in grocery stores. I
hate that kind of juice. It's not clear and it doesn't taste fresh to
me.

Use it up in fruit smoothies, I doubt it will taste bitter because
there are lots of other competing flavors.
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art10957.asp
the easiest thing to do is get a bag of frozen mixed fruit to use
instead of buying everything individually
a bananna
some yogurt (plain, vanilla or fruit flavored)
add your mandarine juice
blend

--

Linda wrote:

> We love mandarins and go through them very quickly, but the last boxful we
> bought have a bitter aftertaste. So I decided I'd juice them and make them
> into iceblocks - I have a toddler and the weather is pretty hot. Of course
> the juice is bitter so I tried adding some honey and lemon to help

How do you know the toddler would find them bitter?
Maybe the toddler would love them just as they are.

You might be training your kid to only like very
sweet things, which could have bad consequences in
later years.

On Oct 28, 5:06 am, "Linda" <[email protected]> wrote:
> We love mandarins and go through them very quickly, but the last boxful we
> bought have a bitter aftertaste. So I decided I'd juice them and make them
> into iceblocks - I have a toddler and the weather is pretty hot. Of course
> the juice is bitter so I tried adding some honey and lemon to help - and it
> did a bit, but not enough. And I still have nearly a full (big) box to get
> through. So bearing in mind that I'm making iceblocks, not just leaving it
> at juice, what other ideas are there for me to add to make it nicer? [snip]

You might try grape juice. Many "100% fruit" drinks are really grape
juice plus fruit concentrate. Not that I think that's a good thing,
but maybe it indicates grape juice tones things down. -aem

Linda wrote:
> We love mandarins and go through them very quickly, but the last boxful we
> bought have a bitter aftertaste. So I decided I'd juice them and make them
> into iceblocks - I have a toddler and the weather is pretty hot. Of course
> the juice is bitter so I tried adding some honey and lemon to help - and it
> did a bit, but not enough. And I still have nearly a full (big) box to get
> through. So bearing in mind that I'm making iceblocks, not just leaving it
> at juice, what other ideas are there for me to add to make it nicer?
> I'm thinking maybe juice some pineapples to add as they are pretty sweet, or
> maybe some tricky spice to change the focus? I don't really want to go just
> adding sugar, as when I've done it in the past with oranges it just seems to
> get sickly sweet by the time the bitter taste is acceptable and I'm trying
> to keep it somewhat healthy.
> Also I know when you're juicing oranges you don't have to peel them first if
> you don't want to, is this the same with mandarins?
> Thanks for any suggestions.

For starters, peel the oranges/mandarins BEFORE you juice them.
Most of the bitterness comes from the white pith under the peel.

gloria p

"Puester" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Linda wrote:
>> We love mandarins and go through them very quickly, but the last boxful
>> we bought have a bitter aftertaste. So I decided I'd juice them and make
>> them into iceblocks - I have a toddler and the weather is pretty hot. Of
>> course the juice is bitter so I tried adding some honey and lemon to
>> elp - and it did a bit, but not enough. And I still have nearly a full
>> (big) box to get through. So bearing in mind that I'm making iceblocks,
>> not just leaving it at juice, what other ideas are there for me to add to
>> make it nicer?
>> I'm thinking maybe juice some pineapples to add as they are pretty sweet,
>> or maybe some tricky spice to change the focus? I don't really want to
>> go just adding sugar, as when I've done it in the past with oranges it
>> just seems to get sickly sweet by the time the bitter taste is acceptable
>> and I'm trying to keep it somewhat healthy.
>> Also I know when you're juicing oranges you don't have to peel them first
>> if you don't want to, is this the same with mandarins?
>> Thanks for any suggestions.

> For starters, peel the oranges/mandarins BEFORE you juice them.
> Most of the bitterness comes from the white pith under the peel.
>
> gloria p

Well I have been - just wanted to know if I could save myself the trouble

"aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Oct 28, 5:06 am, "Linda" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> We love mandarins and go through them very quickly, but the last boxful
>> we
>> bought have a bitter aftertaste. So I decided I'd juice them and make
>> them
>> into iceblocks - I have a toddler and the weather is pretty hot. Of
>> course
>> the juice is bitter so I tried adding some honey and lemon to help - and
>> it
>> did a bit, but not enough. And I still have nearly a full (big) box to
>> get
>> through. So bearing in mind that I'm making iceblocks, not just leaving
>> it
>> at juice, what other ideas are there for me to add to make it nicer?
>> [snip]

> You might try grape juice. Many "100% fruit" drinks are really grape
> juice plus fruit concentrate. Not that I think that's a good thing,
> but maybe it indicates grape juice tones things down. -aem

Thanks I will - I've got enough to try several ideas with!

"Mark Thorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Linda wrote:
>>
>> We love mandarins and go through them very quickly, but the last boxful
>> we
>> bought have a bitter aftertaste. So I decided I'd juice them and make
>> them
>> into iceblocks - I have a toddler and the weather is pretty hot. Of
>> course
>> the juice is bitter so I tried adding some honey and lemon to help

> How do you know the toddler would find them bitter?
> Maybe the toddler would love them just as they are.
>
> You might be training your kid to only like very
> sweet things, which could have bad consequences in
> later years.

Thanks for the thought but no fear of that - she doesn't have junk food or
anything high in sugar or salt (except the obvious natural stuff like fruit,
sultanas etc) It's amazing though the things other parents consider
appropriate to bring to playgroup to share - but my DD is pretty good, just
looks at me and shakes her head and says Not for Her and I agree. (We do
plan on letting her have treats etc, but when she's a little bit older, and
not everyday.)
She's tried the mandarins and liked the bitterness as the novelty, but it
soon wore off, meaning any I gave her were soon wasted. Same when I juiced
them, she was keen to drink some, but not for long.

<sf> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 23:06:52 +1000, "Linda" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>We love mandarins and go through them very quickly, but the last boxful we
>>bought have a bitter aftertaste. So I decided I'd juice them and make
>>them
>>into iceblocks - I have a toddler and the weather is pretty hot. Of
>>course
>>the juice is bitter so I tried adding some honey and lemon to help - and
>>it
>>did a bit, but not enough. And I still have nearly a full (big) box to get
>>through. So bearing in mind that I'm making iceblocks, not just leaving
>>it
>>at juice, what other ideas are there for me to add to make it nicer?
>>I'm thinking maybe juice some pineapples to add as they are pretty sweet,
>>or
>>maybe some tricky spice to change the focus? I don't really want to go
>>just
>>adding sugar, as when I've done it in the past with oranges it just seems
>>get sickly sweet by the time the bitter taste is acceptable and I'm trying
>>to keep it somewhat healthy.
>>Also I know when you're juicing oranges you don't have to peel them first
>>if
>>you don't want to, is this the same with mandarins?
>>Thanks for any suggestions.
>>

> Sounds like you used one of those "juicers" that squishes the orange
> skin and pulp to extract the juice, like they do in grocery stores. I
> hate that kind of juice. It's not clear and it doesn't taste fresh to
> me.
>
> Use it up in fruit smoothies, I doubt it will taste bitter because
> there are lots of other competing flavors.
> http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art10957.asp
> the easiest thing to do is get a bag of frozen mixed fruit to use
> instead of buying everything individually
> a bananna
> some yogurt (plain, vanilla or fruit flavored)
> add your mandarine juice
> blend
>

> --

Not sure which kind of juicer you mean - I use a Champion Juicer - they seem
to work pretty well to me. I've never actually juiced oranges with the peel
on myself, just seen it in recipes and on various cooking shows.
We'll probably make a few smoothies, but I'm wanting to stick more to
iceblocks, which of course are pretty similar, but I'll experiment with
different fruit etc.
I guess what I was really hoping was that someone would say - hey add 3
teaspoons of cardamom (or whatever) and that will do - whatever. But I did
a pretty good search before posting so if there was an easy fix I would
hopefully have already found it.

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_@_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Oh pshaw, on Sun 28 Oct 2007 06:06:52a, Linda meant to say...
>
>> We love mandarins and go through them very quickly, but the last boxful
>> we bought have a bitter aftertaste. So I decided I'd juice them and
>> make them into iceblocks - I have a toddler and the weather is pretty
>> hot. Of course the juice is bitter so I tried adding some honey and
>> lemon to help - and it did a bit, but not enough. And I still have
>> nearly a full (big) box to get through. So bearing in mind that I'm
>> making iceblocks, not just leaving it at juice, what other ideas are
>> there for me to add to make it nicer? I'm thinking maybe juice some
>> pineapples to add as they are pretty sweet, or maybe some tricky spice
>> to change the focus? I don't really want to go just adding sugar, as
>> when I've done it in the past with oranges it just seems to get sickly
>> sweet by the time the bitter taste is acceptable and I'm trying to keep
>> it somewhat healthy. Also I know when you're juicing oranges you don't
>> have to peel them first if you don't want to, is this the same with
>> mandarins? Thanks for any suggestions.

> Sometimes a batch of citrus is simply more bitter than at other times. We
> have experienced that with oranges grown in our yard. I've never figured
> out how to counteract it. If it's tolerable we simply use them, if not we
> toss.
>
> --

Yeah thats probably the problem - I just hate throwing anything out!!

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:08:06 +1000, "Linda" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Not sure which kind of juicer you mean - I use a Champion Juicer -

Champion Juicer? I had to google for it, Champion is not a common
name like Cuisanart. It looks like a meat grinder to me.
http://www.vitality4lifeshop.com.au/images/champion-juicer.jpg
How can it possibly juice, other than the way I mentioned before?

Here are two of the same type juicer I'm thinking about
http://www.citrus-express.net/citrus-juicer.jpg
http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50041819/Juicer.jpg
They will give you real juice, no membrane.

>they seem
>to work pretty well to me. I've never actually juiced oranges with the peel
>on myself, just seen it in recipes and on various cooking shows.

To me, that's not "jucing".... it's "extracting" and I don't like the
result.

>We'll probably make a few smoothies, but I'm wanting to stick more to
>iceblocks, which of course are pretty similar, but I'll experiment with
>different fruit etc.

IMO that's your best bet.

>I guess what I was really hoping was that someone would say - hey add 3
>teaspoons of cardamom (or whatever) and that will do - whatever. But I did
>a pretty good search before posting so if there was an easy fix I would
>hopefully have already found it.

You could "mull" it if you want spices - but I think the result will
be an adult drink, not a kiddie drink. Stay focused!

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

<sf> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:08:06 +1000, "Linda" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Not sure which kind of juicer you mean - I use a Champion Juicer -

> Champion Juicer? I had to google for it, Champion is not a common
> name like Cuisanart. It looks like a meat grinder to me.
> http://www.vitality4lifeshop.com.au/images/champion-juicer.jpg
> How can it possibly juice, other than the way I mentioned before?

> Here are two of the same type juicer I'm thinking about
> http://www.citrus-express.net/citrus-juicer.jpg
> http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50041819/Juicer.jpg
> They will give you real juice, no membrane.

Yeah I get that a lot - it's a pretty big device so it lives on the bench
and friends ask me why I have a meat mincer out! (Not that that wouldn't
have it's uses at times)
I think health freaks and raw food eaters seem to like Champions as they
claim to keep more nutrients and enzymes than the cheaper juicers (I really
have no idea about that to be honest) - it has a long sausage like section
in the middle that spins with lots of tiny blades. You can then put in a
juicing plate so the juice comes out clear in one section and all the pulp
another, or you can use a blanking plate so it homeogenizes. You can also
buy a grinding attachment for grains etc. The main reason I got one was we
were out once at a fete and a guy was there selling fruit ice creams - pure
fruit but with the texture and consistancy of soft servce ice cream. It was
really wonderful - and I looked into the machine so I could do it at home -
(yep I tried ice cream makers and just pureeing frozen fruit - to no avail,
it was just mush, not light and fluffy). So really the juicing and grinding
was secondary to me, but turns out they're pretty good too - as you can see
I'm pretty sold on it now - although I really don't have much experience
with other juicers, and nothing to compare it to.

>>they seem
>>to work pretty well to me. I've never actually juiced oranges with the
>>peel
>>on myself, just seen it in recipes and on various cooking shows.

> To me, that's not "jucing".... it's "extracting" and I don't like the
> result.
>
>>We'll probably make a few smoothies, but I'm wanting to stick more to
>>iceblocks, which of course are pretty similar, but I'll experiment with
>>different fruit etc.

> IMO that's your best bet.
>
>>I guess what I was really hoping was that someone would say - hey add 3
>>teaspoons of cardamom (or whatever) and that will do - whatever. But I
>>did
>>a pretty good search before posting so if there was an easy fix I would
>>hopefully have already found it.

> You could "mull" it if you want spices - but I think the result will
> be an adult drink, not a kiddie drink. Stay focused!

Haha - Yes Indeed!!