In Honor Of Winning The World Series: Boston Baked Beans

margaret suran

Guest
Congratulations to the new World Series Winners and let us make Boston
Baked Beans tonight in their honor.

The Food Network
Boston Baked Beans
Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine
Show: Cooking Live
Episode: New England Winter Fare

2 cups dried navy or pea beans, picked over
3/4 pound salt pork
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 teaspoon English-style dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon grated onion
1 tablespoon sugar

In a bowl combine the beans with 4 cups cold water, let them soak
overnight, and drain them, reserving any remaining liquid. Transfer the
beans to a small heavy kettle, add fresh water to cover (about 31/2
cups), and simmer the beans, covered, for 1 hour. Drain the beans in a
colander, reserving the cooking water and combining it with the reserved
soaking liquid, and reserve the liquid. To the kettle add a 1/4 pound
piece of the pork and the beans and bury the remaining piece of pork,
well scored, in the center of the beans. In a small bowl stir together
the molasses, sugar,1/2 cup of the reserved bean water, the mustard, the
paprika, and the onion, pour the mixture over the beans , lifting the
beans with a spoon to allow the seasoning to concentrate to the bottom
of the kettle. Bake the beans, covered, in the middle of a preheated 300
degree oven, adding some of the reserved bean water at hourly intervals
to keep the mixture covered and lifting the beans to allow the liquid to
penetrate to the bottom of the kettle, for 6 hours. (The surface of the
liquid in the pot should just cover the beans.) Remove the lid for the
last hour of cooking.

"margaret suran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

And for dessert, Durgin Park Indian Pudding

1 1/2 plus 1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup black molasses
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. In a bowl mix 1 1/2 cups of the milk with
the molasses, sugar, butter, salt, baking powder, egg and cornmeal. Pour the
mixture into a stone crock that has been well greased and bake until it
boils. Heat and stir in the remaining 1 1/2 cups milk. Lower the oven
temperature to 300 degrees F and bake for 5 to 7 hours. Serve warm with
whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Felice

who was up until the wee hours watching the hordes streaming up Huntington
Avenue, marching on the Fenway and setting off some grand fireworks outside
her apartment

"Felice Friese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "margaret suran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> And for dessert, Durgin Park Indian Pudding
>
> 1 1/2 plus 1 1/2 cups milk
> 1/4 cup black molasses
> 2 tablespoons sugar
> 2 tablespoons butter
> 1/4 teaspoons salt
> 1/8 teaspoons baking powder
> 1 egg
> 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
>
> Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. In a bowl mix 1 1/2 cups of the milk
> with
> the molasses, sugar, butter, salt, baking powder, egg and cornmeal. Pour
> the
> mixture into a stone crock that has been well greased and bake until it
> boils. Heat and stir in the remaining 1 1/2 cups milk. Lower the oven
> temperature to 300 degrees F and bake for 5 to 7 hours. Serve warm with
> whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
>
> Felice
>
> who was up until the wee hours watching the hordes streaming up Huntington
> Avenue, marching on the Fenway and setting off some grand fireworks
> outside her apartment

Bad editing on my part: Margaret offered the baked beans and I followed with
the pudding.

Felice

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 12:45:08 -0400, margaret suran wrote:

> Congratulations to the new World Series Winners...

It's over already? I even watched parts of the game last night and
didn't realize it was the final game.

In honor of all the Mexican Pilgrims, I have Frijoles Rancheros I
made on Saturday instead.

-sw (born in Boston)

"Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 12:45:08 -0400, margaret suran wrote:
>
>> Congratulations to the new World Series Winners...

> It's over already? I even watched parts of the game last night and
> didn't realize it was the final game.
>
> In honor of all the Mexican Pilgrims, I have Frijoles Rancheros I
> made on Saturday instead.
>
> -sw (born in Boston)

Coincidentally, we had Boston Baked Beans for dinner last night. Yahoo!!

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected]lid says...
> Congratulations to the new World Series Winners and let us make Boston
> Baked Beans tonight in their honor.
>

> The Food Network
> Boston Baked Beans
> Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine
> Show: Cooking Live
> Episode: New England Winter Fare
>

> 2 cups dried navy or pea beans, picked over
> 3/4 pound salt pork
> 1/2 cup molasses
> 1/2 teaspoon English-style dry mustard
> 1/4 teaspoon paprika
> 1 teaspoon grated onion
> 1 tablespoon sugar
>
> In a bowl combine the beans with 4 cups cold water, let them soak
> overnight, and drain them, reserving any remaining liquid. Transfer the
> beans to a small heavy kettle, add fresh water to cover (about 31/2
> cups), and simmer the beans, covered, for 1 hour. Drain the beans in a
> colander, reserving the cooking water and combining it with the reserved
> soaking liquid, and reserve the liquid. To the kettle add a 1/4 pound
> piece of the pork and the beans and bury the remaining piece of pork,
> well scored, in the center of the beans. In a small bowl stir together
> the molasses, sugar,1/2 cup of the reserved bean water, the mustard, the
> paprika, and the onion, pour the mixture over the beans , lifting the
> beans with a spoon to allow the seasoning to concentrate to the bottom
> of the kettle. Bake the beans, covered, in the middle of a preheated 300
> degree oven, adding some of the reserved bean water at hourly intervals
> to keep the mixture covered and lifting the beans to allow the liquid to
> penetrate to the bottom of the kettle, for 6 hours. (The surface of the
> liquid in the pot should just cover the beans.) Remove the lid for the
> last hour of cooking.

I love good baked beans, but this is a really odd recipe. Can you
believe that 1 tsp of grated onion makes a difference? Or 1/2 tsp of
mustard? Not to mention 1/4 tsp paprika.

--
Peter Aitken

"Peter A" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected]lid says...
>> Congratulations to the new World Series Winners and let us make Boston
>> Baked Beans tonight in their honor.
>>

>> The Food Network
>> Boston Baked Beans
>> Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine
>> Show: Cooking Live
>> Episode: New England Winter Fare
>>

>> 2 cups dried navy or pea beans, picked over
>> 3/4 pound salt pork
>> 1/2 cup molasses
>> 1/2 teaspoon English-style dry mustard
>> 1/4 teaspoon paprika
>> 1 teaspoon grated onion
>> 1 tablespoon sugar
>>
>> In a bowl combine the beans with 4 cups cold water, let them soak
>> overnight, and drain them, reserving any remaining liquid. Transfer the
>> beans to a small heavy kettle, add fresh water to cover (about 31/2
>> cups), and simmer the beans, covered, for 1 hour. Drain the beans in a
>> colander, reserving the cooking water and combining it with the reserved
>> soaking liquid, and reserve the liquid. To the kettle add a 1/4 pound
>> piece of the pork and the beans and bury the remaining piece of pork,
>> well scored, in the center of the beans. In a small bowl stir together
>> the molasses, sugar,1/2 cup of the reserved bean water, the mustard, the
>> paprika, and the onion, pour the mixture over the beans , lifting the
>> beans with a spoon to allow the seasoning to concentrate to the bottom
>> of the kettle. Bake the beans, covered, in the middle of a preheated 300
>> degree oven, adding some of the reserved bean water at hourly intervals
>> to keep the mixture covered and lifting the beans to allow the liquid to
>> penetrate to the bottom of the kettle, for 6 hours. (The surface of the
>> liquid in the pot should just cover the beans.) Remove the lid for the
>> last hour of cooking.
>>

> I love good baked beans, but this is a really odd recipe. Can you
> believe that 1 tsp of grated onion makes a difference? Or 1/2 tsp of
> mustard? Not to mention 1/4 tsp paprika.
>

> --
> Peter Aitken

You're right. I hadn't read it before. Thereought to be a lot more onion and
mustard, and no paprika. There are a number of other odd things about it,
too. For one thing, I doubt that 4 cups of water is sufficient for soaking 2
cups of beans. Secondly, most people drain and rinse the beans after soaking
to reduce the gas-producing factor. Then there is the peculiar tablespoon of
sugar. If you want more sugar, add brown sugar, and more of it.

Here is the Durgin Park recipe from the Boston Globe Cookbook:

1 lb dried pea beans, rinsed and picked over
12 cups cold water
2 tsp salt
1/2 lb salt pork
1 medium whole onion
4 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/3 cup molasses
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 cups boiling water or more if needed

Soak beans overnight in 6 cups cold water plus 2 tsp salt.
In the morning, drain, add about 6 cups cold water, bring to a boil, and
parboil 10 minutes.
Drain in a colander and rinse well with cold water. Cut salt pork in half
through its rind and cut each half into 1 inch sqaures. Put the onion and
half the salt pork in the bottom of a 2 quart bean pot. Cover with beans.
Mix sugar, molasses, mustard, 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper with the 2 cups
boiling water. Pour over beans. Press remaining salt pork into beans. If
necessary, ad boiling water to make liquid come just to top of beans. Bake
at 300F for 5 hours, addind water as necessary. Makes 1 1/2 quarts.

This is a reliable recipe.

margaret suran said...

> Congratulations to the new World Series Winners and let us make Boston
> Baked Beans tonight in their honor.

Margaret,

If I could eat Boston Baked Beans to celebrate with you and the World Series
Boston Red Sox Champs, I'd cook them for us and suffer gout without
complaint.

Great team spirit idea!

<smootch>

Andy

Oh pshaw, on Mon 29 Oct 2007 09:45:08a, margaret suran meant to say...

> Congratulations to the new World Series Winners and let us make Boston
> Baked Beans tonight in their honor.
>

> The Food Network
> Boston Baked Beans
> Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine
> Show: Cooking Live
> Episode: New England Winter Fare
>

> 2 cups dried navy or pea beans, picked over
> 3/4 pound salt pork
> 1/2 cup molasses
> 1/2 teaspoon English-style dry mustard
> 1/4 teaspoon paprika
> 1 teaspoon grated onion
> 1 tablespoon sugar
>
> In a bowl combine the beans with 4 cups cold water, let them soak
> overnight, and drain them, reserving any remaining liquid. Transfer the
> beans to a small heavy kettle, add fresh water to cover (about 31/2
> cups), and simmer the beans, covered, for 1 hour. Drain the beans in a
> colander, reserving the cooking water and combining it with the reserved
> soaking liquid, and reserve the liquid. To the kettle add a 1/4 pound
> piece of the pork and the beans and bury the remaining piece of pork,
> well scored, in the center of the beans. In a small bowl stir together
> the molasses, sugar,1/2 cup of the reserved bean water, the mustard, the
> paprika, and the onion, pour the mixture over the beans , lifting the
> beans with a spoon to allow the seasoning to concentrate to the bottom
> of the kettle. Bake the beans, covered, in the middle of a preheated 300
> degree oven, adding some of the reserved bean water at hourly intervals
> to keep the mixture covered and lifting the beans to allow the liquid to
> penetrate to the bottom of the kettle, for 6 hours. (The surface of the
> liquid in the pot should just cover the beans.) Remove the lid for the
> last hour of cooking.

Copied and saved. Thank you, Margaret!

--
Wayne Boatwright

I have a rock garden, but three of them died last week.

Oh pshaw, on Mon 29 Oct 2007 10:05:27a, Felice Friese meant to say...

> "margaret suran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> And for dessert, Durgin Park Indian Pudding
>
> 1 1/2 plus 1 1/2 cups milk
> 1/4 cup black molasses
> 2 tablespoons sugar
> 2 tablespoons butter
> 1/4 teaspoons salt
> 1/8 teaspoons baking powder
> 1 egg
> 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
>
> Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. In a bowl mix 1 1/2 cups of the milk
> with the molasses, sugar, butter, salt, baking powder, egg and cornmeal.
> Pour the mixture into a stone crock that has been well greased and bake
> until it boils. Heat and stir in the remaining 1 1/2 cups milk. Lower
> the oven temperature to 300 degrees F and bake for 5 to 7 hours. Serve
> warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
>
> Felice
>
> who was up until the wee hours watching the hordes streaming up
> Huntington Avenue, marching on the Fenway and setting off some grand
> fireworks outside her apartment

Also copied and saved. Thank you, Felice!

--
Wayne Boatwright

I have a rock garden, but three of them died last week.

On Oct 30, 3:45 am, margaret suran <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Congratulations to the new World Series Winners and let us make Boston
> Baked Beans tonight in their honor.
>
> The Food Network
> Boston Baked Beans
> Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine
> Show: Cooking Live
> Episode: New England Winter Fare
>
> 2 cups dried navy or pea beans, picked over
> 3/4 pound salt pork
> 1/2 cup molasses
> 1/2 teaspoon English-style dry mustard
> 1/4 teaspoon paprika
> 1 teaspoon grated onion
> 1 tablespoon sugar
>
> In a bowl combine the beans with 4 cups cold water, let them soak
> overnight, and drain them, reserving any remaining liquid. Transfer the
> beans to a small heavy kettle, add fresh water to cover (about 31/2
> cups), and simmer the beans, covered, for 1 hour. Drain the beans in a
> colander, reserving the cooking water and combining it with the reserved
> soaking liquid, and reserve the liquid. To the kettle add a 1/4 pound
> piece of the pork and the beans and bury the remaining piece of pork,
> well scored, in the center of the beans. In a small bowl stir together
> the molasses, sugar,1/2 cup of the reserved bean water, the mustard, the
> paprika, and the onion, pour the mixture over the beans , lifting the
> beans with a spoon to allow the seasoning to concentrate to the bottom
> of the kettle. Bake the beans, covered, in the middle of a preheated 300
> degree oven, adding some of the reserved bean water at hourly intervals
> to keep the mixture covered and lifting the beans to allow the liquid to
> penetrate to the bottom of the kettle, for 6 hours. (The surface of the
> liquid in the pot should just cover the beans.) Remove the lid for the
> last hour of cooking.

I've been looking for this recipe -- thanks so much. I don't know what
the "World Series" is since I don't live in America, but I'll eat the
beans!

anthony wrote:

> I've been looking for this recipe -- thanks so much. I don't know what
> the "World Series" is since I don't live in America, but I'll eat the
> beans!

The Baseball World Series. It's like winning the FIFA World Cup.

Enjoy the beans!

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Copied and saved. Thank you, Margaret!

You are welcome. As for me, I do not eat Baked Beans. I do not like
them. :eek:(

Andy wrote:
> margaret suran said...
>
>> Congratulations to the new World Series Winners and let us make Boston
>> Baked Beans tonight in their honor.

> Margaret,
>
> If I could eat Boston Baked Beans to celebrate with you and the World Series
> Boston Red Sox Champs, I'd cook them for us and suffer gout without
> complaint.
>
> Great team spirit idea!
>
> <smootch>
>
> Andy

I do not suffer from Gout, but I do not eat Baked Beans because they do
not taste good and they have a weird consistency. Hugs....

margaret suran said...

> Andy wrote:
>> margaret suran said...
>>
>>> Congratulations to the new World Series Winners and let us make Boston
>>> Baked Beans tonight in their honor.

>> Margaret,
>>
>> If I could eat Boston Baked Beans to celebrate with you and the World
>> Series Boston Red Sox Champs, I'd cook them for us and suffer gout
>> without complaint.
>>
>> Great team spirit idea!
>>
>> <smootch>
>>
>> Andy

> I do not suffer from Gout, but I do not eat Baked Beans because they do
> not taste good and they have a weird consistency. Hugs....

Margaret,

Perhaps a breakfast of French toast?

Andy

Oh pshaw, on Tue 30 Oct 2007 02:20:52a, margaret suran meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>

>> Copied and saved. Thank you, Margaret!

> You are welcome. As for me, I do not eat Baked Beans. I do not like
> them. :eek:(

Neither does David. But I will make them for myself.

Enjoy, instead, something you especially like!

--
Wayne Boatwright

I have a rock garden, but three of them died last week.

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_@_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Oh pshaw, on Mon 29 Oct 2007 09:45:08a, margaret suran meant to say...
>
>> Congratulations to the new World Series Winners and let us make Boston
>> Baked Beans tonight in their honor.

<snip>

> Copied and saved. Thank you, Margaret!
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

With all due respect to Margaret, who was kind enough to type in the recipe,
I'd suggest you try the Durgin Park recipe instead. After all, Margaret says
she doesn't even like baked beans. <G>

Oh pshaw, on Tue 30 Oct 2007 07:28:30a, Janet meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_@_gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Oh pshaw, on Mon 29 Oct 2007 09:45:08a, margaret suran meant to say...
>>
>>> Congratulations to the new World Series Winners and let us make Boston
>>> Baked Beans tonight in their honor.

> <snip>
>>
>> Copied and saved. Thank you, Margaret!
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> With all due respect to Margaret, who was kind enough to type in the
> recipe, I'd suggest you try the Durgin Park recipe instead. After all,
> Margaret says she doesn't even like baked beans. <G>

I'll take a look, Janet. Thanks...

--

Peter A wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>

> > Congratulations to the new World Series Winners and let us make Boston
> > Baked Beans tonight in their honor.

> > The Food Network
> > Boston Baked Beans
> > Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine
> > Show: Cooking Live
> > Episode: New England Winter Fare

> > 2 cups dried navy or pea beans, picked over
> > 3/4 pound salt pork
> > 1/2 cup molasses
> > 1/2 teaspoon English-style dry mustard
> > 1/4 teaspoon paprika
> > 1 teaspoon grated onion
> > 1 tablespoon sugar

> > In a bowl combine the beans with 4 cups cold water, let them soak
> > overnight, and drain them, reserving any remaining liquid. Transfer the
> > beans to a small heavy kettle, add fresh water to cover (about 31/2
> > cups), and simmer the beans, covered, for 1 hour. Drain the beans in a
> > colander, reserving the cooking water and combining it with the reserved
> > soaking liquid, and reserve the liquid. To the kettle add a 1/4 pound
> > piece of the pork and the beans and bury the remaining piece of pork,
> > well scored, in the center of the beans. In a small bowl stir together
> > the molasses, sugar,1/2 cup of the reserved bean water, the mustard, the
> > paprika, and the onion, pour the mixture over the beans , lifting the
> > beans with a spoon to allow the seasoning to concentrate to the bottom
> > of the kettle. Bake the beans, covered, in the middle of a preheated 300
> > degree oven, adding some of the reserved bean water at hourly intervals
> > to keep the mixture covered and lifting the beans to allow the liquid to
> > penetrate to the bottom of the kettle, for 6 hours. (The surface of the
> > liquid in the pot should just cover the beans.) Remove the lid for the
> > last hour of cooking.

> I love good baked beans, but this is a really odd recipe. Can you
> believe that 1 tsp of grated onion makes a difference? Or 1/2 tsp of
> mustard? Not to mention 1/4 tsp paprika.

Baked beans need to be SPICED UP...I can't imagine the tiny amount of
seasonings in the recipe above.

I make mine from scratch, but I'll generally do the following:

- I saute at least a cup of finely - diced onion, some finely - diced
celery, and LOTS of garlic; I've also added very finely - diced green
or red bell pepper or even a coupla jalapenos...

- To the sauteed veg above I'll add some BBQ or tomato sauce, some soy
sauce, and some chili garlic paste, sriracha, whatever...I'll throw in
some brown sugar to this mix and the addition of some dark beer
(Guinness Stout or some such) or even bourbon helps...make enough of
this "sauce" to well cover the beans in the dish. Experiment to see
what works...one time I added a can of diced tomatoes, it worked fine.

- for a "beans 'n wieners" theme I'll add some browned and cut up
Italian sausage (hot!), kielbasa would do too...or the salt pork per
the original recipe would do, too.

These beans are ALWAYS a hit, I think I made them about eight times
the past few months for parties (the last was last Sunday for a
football cook - out), there is never even a small spoonful left...no
one else now even DARES to bring baked beans to our affairs, they know
they can't beat mine.

I always make a bunch of cheddar cheese corn muffins to accompany, for
the vegans in the bunch the beans (if they have no sausage; sometimes
I'll make both vegan - only beans and meat - added beans) and muffins
can be the centerpiece of their meal. I'll make two dozen (can be
Jiffy mix or from scratch), there are never any of those left over
either...

--
Best
Greg

Janet wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_@_gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Oh pshaw, on Mon 29 Oct 2007 09:45:08a, margaret suran meant to say...
>>
>>> Congratulations to the new World Series Winners and let us make Boston
>>> Baked Beans tonight in their honor.

> <snip>
>> Copied and saved. Thank you, Margaret!
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> With all due respect to Margaret, who was kind enough to type in the recipe,
> I'd suggest you try the Durgin Park recipe instead. After all, Margaret says
> she doesn't even like baked beans. <G>

Oh, I didn't have to type it in. I went to Google and ask for a Baked
Bean recipe and just copied it with a click. :eek:)