Annapolis man in critical condition after accident at Patapsco Valley
State Park

By Melissa Harris | Sun reporter
4:10 PM EDT, October 30, 2007

An Annapolis man mountain biking on a walking trail in the Patapsco
Valley State Park this morning failed to navigate a curve and plunged
over a 40-foot cliff, according to the Maryland Department of Natural
Resources. The accident occurred off Ilchester Road southeast of
Ellicott City in the Hilton area of the park.

Christopher Campbell, 40, was flown by state police to Maryland Shock
Trauma Center, where he was listed in critical condition this
afternoon.

Campbell was the second person in a line of three bicyclists on the
trail about 10 a.m. The first cleared the curve but Campbell did not.
The third cyclist saw the accident and rushed to render first aid,
said Kara Turner, a spokeswoman for the Department of Natural
Resources.

[email protected]

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Mike Vandeman wrote:
> THREE mountain bikers illegally biking on a hiking trail.... Evolution
> at work.
>
> Mike

Nice one Mike. Really tasteful even by your standards.

Bruno

> THREE mountain bikers illegally biking on a hiking trail.... Evolution
> at work.

Having fallen off a cliff myself, I can tell you that you don't need to be a
dumb mountain biker to do it. Dumb backpacker is enough. ;-)

--
Donald R. Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 04:53:12 -0600, "Donald Newcomb"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> THREE mountain bikers illegally biking on a hiking trail.... Evolution
>> at work.

>Having fallen off a cliff myself, I can tell you that you don't need to be a
>dumb mountain biker to do it. Dumb backpacker is enough. ;-)

It's pretty hard to do as a hiker, and pretty EASY, as a mountain
biker.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> THREE mountain bikers illegally biking on a hiking trail.... Evolution
> at work.
>
> Mike

I think you should consider yourselves fortunate. Here in oz we have filthy
bloody trail bikers
(as in motorbikes) to put up with on walking tracks.
cheers
Bill

> http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/annearundel/bal-biker1030,0,4406046.story:
>
> Mountain biker plunges off 40-foot cliff
>
> Annapolis man in critical condition after accident at Patapsco Valley
> State Park
>
> By Melissa Harris | Sun reporter
> 4:10 PM EDT, October 30, 2007
>
> An Annapolis man mountain biking on a walking trail in the Patapsco
> Valley State Park this morning failed to navigate a curve and plunged
> over a 40-foot cliff, according to the Maryland Department of Natural
> Resources. The accident occurred off Ilchester Road southeast of
> Ellicott City in the Hilton area of the park.
>
> Christopher Campbell, 40, was flown by state police to Maryland Shock
> Trauma Center, where he was listed in critical condition this
> afternoon.
>
> Campbell was the second person in a line of three bicyclists on the
> trail about 10 a.m. The first cleared the curve but Campbell did not.
> The third cyclist saw the accident and rushed to render first aid,
> said Kara Turner, a spokeswoman for the Department of Natural
> Resources.
>
> [email protected]
>
> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
> fond of!
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

"Landy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I think you should consider yourselves fortunate. Here in oz we have

filthy
> bloody trail bikers
> (as in motorbikes) to put up with on walking tracks.
> cheers

I'm told that Australians can get a motor home into places your average
American couldn't get a Jeep.

--

Donald Newcomb wrote:
> "Landy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I think you should consider yourselves fortunate. Here in oz we have

> filthy
>> bloody trail bikers
>> (as in motorbikes) to put up with on walking tracks.
>> cheers

> I'm told that Australians can get a motor home into places your average
> American couldn't get a Jeep.

Your average USian would not take a Jeep down a gravel road because it
might get some gravel dings in the paint. The Jeep is for appearances
only (in most cases), and the full-suspension ATB mounted to it is just
a fashion accessory, and not for riding.

When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 09:18:10 +1100, "Landy" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> THREE mountain bikers illegally biking on a hiking trail.... Evolution
>> at work.
>>
>> Mike

>I think you should consider yourselves fortunate. Here in oz we have filthy
>bloody trail bikers
>(as in motorbikes) to put up with on walking tracks.

Why do you stand for that???

> [...]

>> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
>> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
>> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>>
>> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
>> fond of!
>>
>> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 09:18:10 +1100, "Landy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>> THREE mountain bikers illegally biking on a hiking trail.... Evolution
>>> at work.
>>>
>>> Mike

>>I think you should consider yourselves fortunate. Here in oz we have
>>filthy
>>bloody trail bikers
>>(as in motorbikes) to put up with on walking tracks.

What can be done about it? The National Parks and Wildlife Service have
limited resources.
Admittedly, it only occurs in the national parks close to urban areas, but
how do you argue
against a moron riding a 500 cc at you? They even ride unregistered bikes
around on suburban
streets on weekends. Again a lack of police resourses would be to blame.
All part af increasing
lawlessness under a fascist government.
cheers
Bill

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 22:01:04 +1100, "Landy" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 09:18:10 +1100, "Landy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>I think you should consider yourselves fortunate. Here in oz we have
>>>filthy
>>>bloody trail bikers
>>>(as in motorbikes) to put up with on walking tracks.

>> Why do you stand for that???
>>

>What can be done about it? The National Parks and Wildlife Service have
>limited resources.
>Admittedly, it only occurs in the national parks close to urban areas, but
>how do you argue
>against a moron riding a 500 cc at you? They even ride unregistered bikes
>around on suburban
>streets on weekends. Again a lack of police resourses would be to blame.
>All part af increasing
>lawlessness under a fascist government.
>cheers
>Bill

You need to get a new government.

> [...]

>All part af increasing
>lawlessness under a fascist government.
>cheers
>Bill

You need to get a new government.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 22:01:04 +1100, "Landy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>> Why do you stand for that???
>>>

>>What can be done about it? The National Parks and Wildlife Service have
>>limited resources.
>>Admittedly, it only occurs in the national parks close to urban areas, but
>>how do you argue
>>against a moron riding a 500 cc at you? They even ride unregistered bikes
>>around on suburban
>>streets on weekends. Again a lack of police resourses would be to blame.

Tell me about it! Unfortunately people don't like change and are duped by
the scare campaigns
of the encumbent government. We have an election coming up and I have my
fingers crossed.
cheers
Bill