Protective Clothing Recommendations

OldDrone

Guest
Ok, I have proven to myself that my ambition exceeds my skill, and I
need to protect myself.

I want to buy some elbow and wrist guards, and new helmet. Can the
community make some recommendations on quality brands.

Thanks

--
OldDrone
http://www.usenet.com

Get harbinger wrist wraps. I have fallen numerous times badly on my
hands and I'm sure that they have stopped some fractures. They are
extremely nice and comfortable, but give rigid support and stops ya
from getting road rash.

Get a helmet.

Get padded lycra shorts, and wear them under loose shorts/pants. This
helps rashes.

Any shin pads. I like the ones that stop before the knee as they offer
more flexibility.

--
Danni

leo wrote:
> Without cocks you wouldn't even have a family forum.

'My Trials Course'
http://www.usenet.com

the 661 4x4 is a very popular knee/shin armour for unicycling, available
in many bike shops and online cycle retailers. Kris Holm also does a
unicycle specific one, presumably only available through UDC

--
kington99

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

How about elbow guards? That and my hands are what I seem to be hitting
the most.

--
OldDrone
http://www.usenet.com

The KH grey gloves work great for me. They have a plastic splint on the
backside to support the wrist in a fall, and a gel pad in the palm.
the wrist support wraps around your wrist and is velcro, so it's easy
to adjust.

I've had mine for about 6 months; no bad seams, tears, etc.

--
ahollow
http://www.usenet.com

i agree. i have some kh pulse gloves and they are amaing.

--
UniDudeDX

thejdw wrote:
> Cocain has very good commpression propities, great for side hops and
> large drops.

http://www.usenet.com

I have the KH pulse gloves and love them for riding the big wheel etc.
but I would prefer to have a pair of harbinger wrist guards for higher
impact stuff like MUni.

The KH gloves are very comfortable and have moderate protection, the
harbinger gloves are moderately comfortable and have very good
protection. You can't really hold a T7 handle wearing the harbingers.

--
saskatchewanian

The Coker isn't elegant, it's majestic
http://www.usenet.com

OldDrone wrote:
> How about elbow guards? That and my hands are what I seem to be hitting
> the most.

good point, 661 2x4s are the elbow version, pretty heavy duty. As for
hands, personally i use TSG professinoal wrist guards but will probably
swap to KH gloves in due course.

--
kington99

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

another great piece of protection is stretching. i think i did something
to my right oblique today. It hurt pretty bad

--
Chris.James

dforbes wrote:
> Well, boys and girls, this is what separates us from the gods; Kris goes
> riding and has to worry about landing on naked ladies - you and I have
> to watch we don't land in dog ****.....

http://www.usenet.com

is there anything around that protects your ankles?
when i try unispins i usually end up hitting my ankles on the pedals

--
schoesno1
http://www.usenet.com

are the Kris Holm shin/knee guards really any better for unicycling than
the SixSixOne 4x4's? I'm trying to decide between the two.

--
joshben

schoesno1 wrote:
> is there anything around that protects your ankles?
> when i try unispins i usually end up hitting my ankles on the pedals

'661 RACE PRO' (http://tinyurl.com/35bumz)

'McDavid Lightweight Laced Ankle Brace' (http://tinyurl.com/yoggyv)

I have the 'McDavid Ankle Brace' (http://tinyurl.com/2jq66u). I made
a plastic insert for even more support.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.
Parafrasing a pro skater when asked for advise to kids who wanted to
get much better and maybee turn pro one day.
http://www.usenet.com

joshben wrote:
> are the Kris Holm shin/knee guards really any better for unicycling than
> the SixSixOne 4x4's? I'm trying to decide between the two.

ive been wearing 661s for about 4 years, been through 2 pairs. I've
worn the Kh but not ridden in them. However the KH have some immediate
benefits: they actually cover the top of your knee even when you bend
your leg, ive got knee scars from times i was wearing my pads becasue
the 661 tend to move down as you bend your knee. Also the Kh has good
anti abrasion amterial on the inside leg, the reason ive bust two 661
pads is that they wear against the tyre and frame, eventually causing
damage to the hard plates themselves. Also the Kh has both the top
straps going outwards so the inner one doesnt open on the frame by
accident, and have far fewer buckles so are much quicker to put on than
the 661 8 point fixing system. When i consign my current pair of 661s
to the bin i will be getting Khs.

--
kington99

Dave