Cross tyres for mud: recommendations?

Simon Brooke

Guest
As you may recall, I recently got myself a cross bike, which is mainly my
commute bike. But the weekend after next I'm planning to ride a cross race
on it. The course is likely to be quite muddy. I've previously entered
cross races on a mountain bike, but never on a proper cross bike.

The frame has masses of tyre clearance, so I don't think there's any upper
limit on size within reason. But I want tyres which will roll well as well
as cope with mud, so I'm inclined to go for narrower rather than wider -
I'm not a strong rider at the best of times.

Edinburgh Bike Co-op have Continental Speed Kings in 700x35 (but they're
heavy - 520 grammes per tyre), and Continental Twisters in 700x32 (but
even heavier). Wiggle have Michelin Cyclo Cross Jet in 700x30 at a more
reasonable 340 grammes, but they don't look as if they'd cope with mud; or
Michelin Cyclo Cross Mud 2 at the same width and weight, which look as if
they would. They also have Schwalbe CX Pro in 700x30, but they don't quote
the weight[1]; or Specialized Houffalize CX in 700x32 (again, weight not
quoted). ProBikeKit has Vittorias, but they're out of stock of the only
model that's really designed for mud. Parkers had Vredestein Premiato in
700x30 at only 305 grammes, but they're out of stock; or the same in
700x34 at 375 grammes.

This site:
http://members.aol.com/napavelo/tires.htm
comments that Michelin 30mm are wider than most people's 30mm.

Anyone got any particular recommendations? I'm thinking that (unless
someone has a better idea) I'm likely to go for either the Michelin Mud 2
or the Schwalbe CX Pro.

[1] Zepnat quote 369 grammes per tyre for Schwalbe CX Pro 700x32 wire-on

Q: Whats a webmaster?
A: Like a spider, but nowhere near as intelligent.

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

> As you may recall, I recently got myself a cross bike, which is mainly my
> commute bike. But the weekend after next I'm planning to ride a cross race
> on it. The course is likely to be quite muddy. I've previously entered
> cross races on a mountain bike, but never on a proper cross bike.

Dont worry at all about the weight of tyres. If it is muddy, you'll be
carrying 3kgs of mud after the first lap.
Get the thinnest(width) and cheapest available. Schwalbe are decent,
I've been using them for the last 2 years.
And dont let your tyres down to give better traction (unless of course
you expect to win), as you'll get a pinch puncture far easier.

I run mine at road tyre pressure - pretty hard, and didnt fall off at
all last winter, some others check their tyre pressures with a pressure
gauge - I pinch mine to see how hard they are.
You can read too much into what kit you need, by the 5th lap, you wont
be worried about 200g extra tyre weight, you'll just want to get to the
end.
Alan.

> As you may recall, I recently got myself a cross bike, which is mainly my
> commute bike. But the weekend after next I'm planning to ride a cross race
> on it. The course is likely to be quite muddy. I've previously entered
> cross races on a mountain bike, but never on a proper cross bike.
>
> The frame has masses of tyre clearance, so I don't think there's any upper
> limit on size within reason. But I want tyres which will roll well as well
> as cope with mud, so I'm inclined to go for narrower rather than wider -
> I'm not a strong rider at the best of times.

I've only done one cyclo-cross race on an MTB so can't really speak
first hand, but the guys at work who are keen on cyclo-cross use
these:

http://www.zepnat.com/component/pag...acturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,48/

They only do tubs so prob. aren't suitable for the odd race - but the
tread pattern and weight might give an indication of good
characteristics to go for in another tyre..?

Duncan

On 03/11/2007 17:56, Simon Brooke said,

> Edinburgh Bike Co-op have Continental Speed Kings in 700x35

I have a pair of those in 26", and I don't get on with them at all. I
find they break away too easily when cornering, and slip and slide over
anything wet. Their tarmac manners are also pretty appalling!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

in message <1i70mer.kap0x01886la5N%alan@darkroom.+.com>, A.Lee
('alan@darkroom.+.com') wrote:

> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> As you may recall, I recently got myself a cross bike, which is mainly
>> my commute bike. But the weekend after next I'm planning to ride a cross
>> race on it. The course is likely to be quite muddy. I've previously
>> entered cross races on a mountain bike, but never on a proper cross
>> bike.

> Dont worry at all about the weight of tyres. If it is muddy, you'll be
> carrying 3kgs of mud after the first lap.

True!

> Get the thinnest(width) and cheapest available. Schwalbe are decent,
> I've been using them for the last 2 years.
> And dont let your tyres down to give better traction (unless of course
> you expect to win), as you'll get a pinch puncture far easier.

I expect to be last - I'm old enough to be grandfather of the younger
riders and father of all the others, I'm full of warfarin (which has
exactly the opposite effect of EPO) and I never was fast even when young.

> I run mine at road tyre pressure - pretty hard, and didnt fall off at
> all last winter, some others check their tyre pressures with a pressure
> gauge - I pinch mine to see how hard they are.
> You can read too much into what kit you need, by the 5th lap, you wont
> be worried about 200g extra tyre weight, you'll just want to get to the
> end.

Also true!

IMHO, there aren't enough committed Christians, but that's care
in the community for you. -- Ben Evans

in message <[email protected]>, Paul Boyd
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On 03/11/2007 17:56, Simon Brooke said,
>
>> Edinburgh Bike Co-op have Continental Speed Kings in 700x35

> I have a pair of those in 26", and I don't get on with them at all. I
> find they break away too easily when cornering, and slip and slide over
> anything wet. Their tarmac manners are also pretty appalling!

Thanks, that's them crossed (ho ho) off the list!

[ This .sig subject to change without notice ]

In article <1i70mer.kap0x01886la5N%alan@darkroom.+.com>, A.Lee
alan@darkroom.+.com says...
> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > As you may recall, I recently got myself a cross bike, which is mainly my
> > commute bike. But the weekend after next I'm planning to ride a cross race
> > on it. The course is likely to be quite muddy. I've previously entered
> > cross races on a mountain bike, but never on a proper cross bike.

> Dont worry at all about the weight of tyres. If it is muddy, you'll be
> carrying 3kgs of mud after the first lap.
> Get the thinnest(width) and cheapest available. Schwalbe are decent,
> I've been using them for the last 2 years.
> And dont let your tyres down to give better traction (unless of course
> you expect to win), as you'll get a pinch puncture far easier.

What he said. :)

I was half thinking about trying a cross race today (would have been last
for sure) but an evening stint out with mountain bikers (going over a cross
course) put me in my place. I might have got on better by trying my first
off-roading in the daylight! I fell off loads of times, even fell today
going over the under 12s course in daylight.
Good luck.
Jim J

> in message <1i70mer.kap0x01886la5N%alan@darkroom.+.com>, A.Lee
> ('alan@darkroom.+.com') wrote:
>
>> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> As you may recall, I recently got myself a cross bike, which is mainly
>>> my commute bike. But the weekend after next I'm planning to ride a cross
>>> race on it. The course is likely to be quite muddy. I've previously
>>> entered cross races on a mountain bike, but never on a proper cross
>>> bike.

>> Dont worry at all about the weight of tyres. If it is muddy, you'll be
>> carrying 3kgs of mud after the first lap.

> True!
>
>> Get the thinnest(width) and cheapest available. Schwalbe are decent,
>> I've been using them for the last 2 years.
>> And dont let your tyres down to give better traction (unless of course
>> you expect to win), as you'll get a pinch puncture far easier.

> I expect to be last - I'm old enough to be grandfather of the younger
> riders and father of all the others, I'm full of warfarin (which has
> exactly the opposite effect of EPO) and I never was fast even when young.
>
>> I run mine at road tyre pressure - pretty hard, and didnt fall off at
>> all last winter, some others check their tyre pressures with a pressure
>> gauge - I pinch mine to see how hard they are.
>> You can read too much into what kit you need, by the 5th lap, you wont
>> be worried about 200g extra tyre weight, you'll just want to get to the
>> end.

> Also true!
>
> --
> [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
>
> IMHO, there aren't enough committed Christians, but that's care
> in the community for you. -- Ben Evans
>

> Anyone got any particular recommendations? I'm thinking that (unless
> someone has a better idea) I'm likely to go for either the Michelin Mud 2
> or the Schwalbe CX Pro.

Schwalbe Racing Ralph in 700x35 which is a real tyre for
competition............

On Nov 4, 9:25 pm, "Klaus Steinkamp" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Anyone got any particular recommendations? I'm thinking that (unless
> > someone has a better idea) I'm likely to go for either the Michelin Mud 2
> > or the Schwalbe CX Pro.

> Schwalbe Racing Ralph in 700x35 which is a real tyre for
> competition............

Thanks for the recommendation!

> Thanks for the recommendation!

De Nada

You will be also satisfied while using it on track (street etc.)

By the way what is the price in UK, here in Germany is 30 Euro/each

Klaus

On 5 Nov, 15:02, "Klaus Steinkamp" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Thanks for the recommendation!

> De Nada
>
> You will be also satisfied while using it on track (street etc.)
>
> By the way what is the price in UK, here in Germany is 30 Euro/each
>
> Klaus

Very hard to get in the UK! No-one has them in stock. There's a guy on
eBay who has one tyre, but that's no good...
It's a shame, because they look good. Anyone recommend a shop in
Germany /Holland/Flanders which takes British credit/switch cards and
ships quickly?

Simon Brooke wrote:
> On 5 Nov, 15:02, "Klaus Steinkamp" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Thanks for the recommendation!

>> De Nada
>>
>> You will be also satisfied while using it on track (street etc.)
>>
>> By the way what is the price in UK, here in Germany is 30 Euro/each
>>
>> Klaus

> Very hard to get in the UK! No-one has them in stock. There's a guy on
> eBay who has one tyre, but that's no good...
> It's a shame, because they look good. Anyone recommend a shop in
> Germany /Holland/Flanders which takes British credit/switch cards and
> ships quickly?

Could try...

http://www.bike24.com

Site is in English, and has free shipping (to Germany at least) for
orders over 50euros. I've used them a few times (with a Dutch credit
card rather than UK), and had pretty good service.

--
Andy
UK Expat Cyclist in Germany.

On Nov 7, 5:24 am, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Simon
> Brooke
> [email protected] says...

> > > De Nada

> > > You will be also satisfied while using it on track (street etc.)

> > > By the way what is the price in UK, here in Germany is 30 Euro/each

> > > Klaus

> > Very hard to get in the UK! No-one has them in stock.

> No stock here?
>
> http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=6751

Nope. Emailed them, they've got one in stock :-(

I think it's going to be the Michelin Mud 2s...

In article <[email protected]>, Simon
Brooke
[email protected] says...
> On Nov 7, 5:24 am, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>, Simon
> > Brooke
> > [email protected] says...

> > > Very hard to get in the UK! No-one has them in stock.

> > No stock here?
> >
> > http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=6751

> Nope. Emailed them, they've got one in stock :-(
>
> I think it's going to be the Michelin Mud 2s...

The http://www.zepnat.com/ website claims to have a pair in stock, but
they're £30 each. Maybe you should just treat yourself to a nice set of
sprint wheels and cross tubs - you know it makes sense. :)

"Rob Morley" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[email protected]...
In article <[email protected]>, Simon
Brooke
[email protected] says...
> On Nov 7, 5:24 am, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>, Simon
> > Brooke
> > [email protected] says...

Try to send an email to [email protected]

I'm sure they will help you, they got the Racing Ralph for 26,90 Euro each
plus shipping

http://cycle-basar.de (maybe you try it w/o knowledge of german language.

http://www.cycle-basar.de/Reifen-Sc.../Schwalbe-Racing-Ralph-Crossreifen::1385.html