or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Bikes › Cycling Equipment › Road bike tyre reviews
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Road bike tyre reviews

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
Current Mitchlen prorace2's are showing the threads and as usual I'm doing too much thinking.

Reading the info on Contential, Mitchlen and Vittoria and Veloflex tyres, they all seem pretty competitive. Weight 180gms - 230gms, all claim good puncture resistance, low rolling resistance etc etc. Price AU$31 - about $60 each plus $18 postage.

Is there a comparative review somewhere?
post #2 of 40

Re: Road bike tyre reviews

Have you tried Roadbikereview.com? Not sure if all of the models you listed are there but I guess it's a start.
post #3 of 40

Re: Road bike tyre reviews

At the rate you put on the miles and chew through tyres, you can do your own review within a short period of time. Go on, try a set of Conti GP4000 and see how it compares with your existing Michelin.
post #4 of 40

Re: Road bike tyre reviews

For me I can't feel any difference btwn Pro race 2's and GP 4000's. But I've had less punctures on the GP's and the little wear markers are nice and useful.
post #5 of 40
Thread Starter 

Re: Road bike tyre reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogood
At the rate you put on the miles and chew through tyres, you can do your own review within a short period of time. Go on, try a set of Conti GP4000 and see how it compares with your existing Michelin.
Have you noticed that about 60% of our club members are using 4000's? T-Bone is going to get Veloflex and I can see why, 180gms 300tpi.
post #6 of 40
Thread Starter 

Re: Road bike tyre reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono L
For me I can't feel any difference btwn Pro race 2's and GP 4000's. But I've had less punctures on the GP's and the little wear markers are nice and useful.
4000's are about $6 more than pro race 2's. If they give the same performance and less punctures then it is worth the $6.
post #7 of 40

Re: Road bike tyre reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesbytes
Have you noticed that about 60% of our club members are using 4000's? T-Bone is going to get Veloflex and I can see why, 180gms 300tpi.
Didn't do any stats on our Sun rides. But by all accounts, GP4000 has been doing pretty well from puncture resistance point of view. Good luck to T-Bone for his weight weenie tendencies. I might even get a chance to fly past him on Sun if he just get one puncture. Hehe... I fully encourage him to avoid that GP4000.
post #8 of 40

Re: Road bike tyre reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesbytes
Current Mitchlen prorace2's are showing the threads and as usual I'm doing too much thinking.

Reading the info on Contential, Mitchlen and Vittoria and Veloflex tyres, they all seem pretty competitive. Weight 180gms - 230gms, all claim good puncture resistance, low rolling resistance etc etc. Price AU$31 - about $60 each plus $18 postage.

Is there a comparative review somewhere?
i usually syick with hutchinsons fusion or vittoria open corsa for training and fast group rides- they handle superbly and last farily well. i'm a pretty agile rider so flats aren't usually a concern for me.
now on a tubie i love to use the ritchey WCS or the vittoria corsa. all these handle well, but a clincher in now way compares to the ride quality of a tubular.
i usually get my tires and highend gear from clice at glorycycles.com
i work at a bike shop and sometimes it faster and easier and CHEAPER to ordder from him than from our suppliers? weird, but tru fact... just compare prices and you'll see.

remmember a good set of wheels will add to how the tyres perform also. cheap wheels- ugly tyre feeling; nice, stiff, light, wheel will get you a fast tyre with better handling
post #9 of 40
Thread Starter 

Re: Road bike tyre reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogood
Didn't do any stats on our Sun rides. But by all accounts, GP4000 has been doing pretty well from puncture resistance point of view. Good luck to T-Bone for his weight weenie tendencies. I might even get a chance to fly past him on Sun if he just get one puncture. Hehe... I fully encourage him to avoid that GP4000.
Never seen T-Bone get a flat. Perhaps he's too light for the objects to get pushed in ?
post #10 of 40

Re: Road bike tyre reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesbytes
Never seen T-Bone get a flat. Perhaps he's too light for the objects to get pushed in ?
Or too fast to allow time for anything to split the sub-atomic bonds within that tyre rubber matrix.
post #11 of 40

Re: Road bike tyre reviews

Happy with Vittoria Rubino Pro's over the last year (around 3300-3500km wear time), but am going to put a set of Pro2 Race's in my inventory. Not too pleased that I hear they aren't great on wetter pavement, but I'll give em a shot on some nicer days first.
post #12 of 40

Re: Road bike tyre reviews

I'm very happy with my Michelin Megiums and Carbons(then Krylions).
I get about 5500kms out of the rears and last time over 6000kms from the front.

That is on course chip roads(mainly) here on an 18lb + bike(my training bike at least) and me at about 74kgs.
I do get punctures but it's not a regular occurance
post #13 of 40

Re: Road bike tyre reviews

Conti GP4 seasons: These things are literally invincible. nearly 13,000km on them now, still no signs of wear. 230g each for something stupid like 490tpi. They also never, ever, puncture. They, as bro deal put it I think, 'ride like ass'.

Conti Attack/Force: They don't puncture, which is helpful in a race tyre, and only weigh 400g for the pair, but they have a crap rolling resistance compared to Pro2race. Get em for fast training, not racing.(maybe club races)

Schwalbe Ultremo: 190g each, vectran breaker, reports of great RR, they are next.
post #14 of 40
Thread Starter 

Re: Road bike tyre reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadVW
Happy with Vittoria Rubino Pro's over the last year (around 3300-3500km wear time), but am going to put a set of Pro2 Race's in my inventory. Not too pleased that I hear they aren't great on wetter pavement, but I'll give em a shot on some nicer days first.
I used Rubino Pro's for years before switching to Pro Race 2's. I actully prefer the Pro Race 2's in the wet, they seem to have more feeling.
post #15 of 40
Thread Starter 

Re: Road bike tyre reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbananabike
I'm very happy with my Michelin Megiums and Carbons(then Krylions).
I get about 5500kms out of the rears and last time over 6000kms from the front.

That is on course chip roads(mainly) here on an 18lb + bike(my training bike at least) and me at about 74kgs.
I do get punctures but it's not a regular occurance
Chip roads ? aren't you in Auckland ? Where's the chip road? Piha ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling Equipment
Cycling Forums › Forums › Bikes › Cycling Equipment › Road bike tyre reviews