Shoeless Joe - revisited

Mamba

Guest
Warning - on topic only because the equipment involved was for MTBing.

I posted a few weeks back telling my sad tale about my bike shoes, cleats,
pedals and bike tool going missing out of my luggage on a flight back from a
family reunion.

The items were stuffed into my duffel-bag-style luggage, one shoe/pedal per
end pocket. I found the bag with the pockets open, and a TSA inspection
notice inside the bag.

The shoes and pedals were several years old, and I had used them on a ride a
few days before. I mention this because it makes it tough for me to believe
a baggage handler would have ripped them off.

Anyways, I filed the proper paperwork with both the airline (United) and the
TSA. My gut feel is that the TSA was responsible, and when I submitted the
TSA claim form, my description of "why I felt the TSA was responsible"
covered the TSA inspection notice, the details of the metal items being
inside my shoes, the opened pockets, etc. I further wrote that I thought
the shoes had been removed for inspection, then lost in the shuffle and not
replaced. I am told this happens *lots*.

Update:

Today I recieved a certified delivery form letter from the TSA. I quote
from the second paragraph :
"... TSA regrets to inform you that your claim is denied. TSA is precluded
from paying claims where the claimed loss was not a result of the negligence
or wrongful act of its employees."

WTF? I specifically explained my suspicion of a negligent act by one of
their employees. Smacks of the old sleazeball insurance ploy to
automatically deny any claims at first glance. They did include a phone
number to appeal such a decision. It's the same generic one I tried
originally that kept me in a wait queue for 20 minutes until I found the
needed claim forms on a web site.

Lesson learned? Don't expect much in "customer service" from an untouchable
agency. Think carefully about what you pack in your luggage. If it goes
missing, getting satisfaction from the TSA just doesn't sound very
promising.

One more thing. United came through within days with a letter of apology
("in case" any loss was due to their handling) and a check. I had actually
planned to tear up the check if the TSA came through, since I really think
the TSA is at fault. I have no special afinity for any commercial airlines,
but they are having enough problems without having to cover TSA losses.
Cudos to United for stepping up and protecting their customer from personal
loss.

On Nov 9, 2:02 pm, "Mamba" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Warning - on topic only because the equipment involved was for MTBing.
>
> I posted a few weeks back telling my sad tale about my bike shoes, cleats,
> pedals and bike tool going missing out of my luggage on a flight back from a
> family reunion.
>
> The items were stuffed into my duffel-bag-style luggage, one shoe/pedal per
> end pocket. I found the bag with the pockets open, and a TSA inspection
> notice inside the bag.
>
> The shoes and pedals were several years old, and I had used them on a ride a
> few days before. I mention this because it makes it tough for me to believe
> a baggage handler would have ripped them off.
>
> Anyways, I filed the proper paperwork with both the airline (United) and the
> TSA. My gut feel is that the TSA was responsible, and when I submitted the
> TSA claim form, my description of "why I felt the TSA was responsible"
> covered the TSA inspection notice, the details of the metal items being
> inside my shoes, the opened pockets, etc. I further wrote that I thought
> the shoes had been removed for inspection, then lost in the shuffle and not
> replaced. I am told this happens *lots*.
>
> Update:
>
> Today I recieved a certified delivery form letter from the TSA. I quote
> from the second paragraph :
> "... TSA regrets to inform you that your claim is denied. TSA is precluded
> from paying claims where the claimed loss was not a result of the negligence
> or wrongful act of its employees."
>
> WTF? I specifically explained my suspicion of a negligent act by one of
> their employees. Smacks of the old sleazeball insurance ploy to
> automatically deny any claims at first glance. They did include a phone
> number to appeal such a decision. It's the same generic one I tried
> originally that kept me in a wait queue for 20 minutes until I found the
> needed claim forms on a web site.
>
> Lesson learned? Don't expect much in "customer service" from an untouchable
> agency. Think carefully about what you pack in your luggage. If it goes
> missing, getting satisfaction from the TSA just doesn't sound very
> promising.
>
> One more thing. United came through within days with a letter of apology
> ("in case" any loss was due to their handling) and a check. I had actually
> planned to tear up the check if the TSA came through, since I really think
> the TSA is at fault. I have no special afinity for any commercial airlines,
> but they are having enough problems without having to cover TSA losses.
> Cudos to United for stepping up and protecting their customer from personal
> loss.

Eesh. How much of the costs will the check cover?

> [...]

> needed claim forms on a web site.
>
> Lesson learned? Don't expect much in "customer service" from an untouchable
> agency. Think carefully about what you pack in your luggage. If it goes
> missing, getting satisfaction from the TSA just doesn't sound very
> promising.
>
> One more thing. United came through within days with a letter of apology
> ("in case" any loss was due to their handling) and a check. I had actually
> planned to tear up the check if the TSA came through, since I really think
> the TSA is at fault. I have no special afinity for any commercial airlines,
> but they are having enough problems without having to cover TSA losses.
> Cudos to United for stepping up and protecting their customer from personal
> loss.

Eesh. How much of the costs will the check cover?

"Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Nov 9, 2:02 pm, "Mamba" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Warning - on topic only because the equipment involved was for MTBing.
> >

> Eesh. How much of the costs will the check cover?
>
> /s

I actually reduced my claim amount on everything to account for the age and
well-used nature of the items. Found a used pair of (same!) shoes on eBay,
ditto for the pedals, cleats. Got a replacement pair of gloves at REI on
sale too. That about ate the check. So I'm out an Alien tool, which I'll
grab soon.

Had I claimed replacement cost, it probably would have been easily 2 or 3X,
but this worked out pretty close.

Mamba wrote:
> Lesson learned? Don't expect much in "customer service" from an untouchable
> agency. Think carefully about what you pack in your luggage. If it goes
> missing, getting satisfaction from the TSA just doesn't sound very
> promising....

The TSA models itself after Kafka.

Tradition is the worst rational for action.