potato ricer-help!

Elaine

Guest
My daughter just reminded me of last year's kitchen christmas present- a must have - a potato ricer.
I haven't used it once. Is there something else I can do with it other than sieve cooked potatoes,
or make baby food - don't have a baby, and cannot see the point in transferring the potatoes for
mashing when it's so much quicker just to whip them up - especially if I'm cooking for a crowd. But
I won't get this year's gadget - a microplane - if I cannot explain what I propose to do with last
year's present. Help!
E.

elaine wrote:
> My daughter just reminded me of last year's kitchen christmas present- a must have - a potato
> ricer. I haven't used it once. Is there something else I can do with it other than sieve cooked
> potatoes, or make baby food - don't have a baby, and cannot see the point in transferring the
> potatoes for mashing when it's so much quicker just to whip them up - especially if I'm cooking
> for a crowd. But I won't get this year's gadget - a microplane - if I cannot explain what I
> propose to do with last year's present. Help!
> E.

So why not just use the ricer on the cooked potatoes to mash them? It won't hurt, I promise.

Jill

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:22:08 -0500, "elaine" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>My daughter just reminded me of last year's kitchen christmas present- a must have - a potato
>ricer. I haven't used it once. Is there something else I can do with it other than sieve cooked
>potatoes, or make baby food - don't have a baby, and cannot see the point in transferring the
>potatoes for mashing when it's so much quicker just to whip them up - especially if I'm cooking for
>a crowd. But I won't get this year's gadget - a microplane - if I cannot explain what I propose to
>do with last year's present. Help!
>E.

You apparantly haven't had good riced potatoes

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

How much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it's no longer a healthy choice?

wrote:

>My daughter just reminded me of last year's kitchen christmas present- a must have - a potato
>ricer. I haven't used it once. Is there something else I can do with it other than sieve cooked
>potatoes, or make baby food - don't have a baby, and cannot see the point in transferring the
>potatoes for mashing when it's so much quicker just to whip them up - especially if I'm cooking for
>a crowd. But I won't get this year's gadget - a microplane - if I cannot explain what I propose to
>do with last year's present. Help!
>E.

The easy answer is to use it for squeezing the water out of thawed frozen spinach. I have one
that's a virgin also. My CIA book says to use it, or a food mill for Duchesse potatoes. I'm under
the impression it might keep the spuds from turning into glue. Maybe someone else with more
experience cam chime in here. Frogleg and I talked about this a few months ago but I was using
another machine so I don't have the post. I was/am looking for the very light and fluffy filling
for twice backed potatoes. I won't have time to try it for at least a month. Please tell your
daughter you need to help me!

Forget what I just wrote. Snot and I are helping her mom do Festivus. I suggested we go early and
try the ricer thingie. It's a go. See how easy this stuff is?

Enjoy your microplane.

Gar

wrote:

>My daughter just reminded me of last year's kitchen christmas present- a must have - a potato
>ricer. I haven't used it once. Is there something else I can do with it other than sieve cooked
>potatoes, or make baby food - don't have a baby, and cannot see the point in transferring the
>potatoes for mashing when it's so much quicker just to whip them up - especially if I'm cooking for
>a crowd. But I won't get this year's gadget - a microplane - if I cannot explain what I propose to
>do with last year's present. Help!
>E.

It is also great for pressing out the roasted garlic puree, from roasted garlic cloves. I saw Joanne
Weir do that on one of her shows: made it look so easy.

Christine

"elaine" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3fdbd7be$1_2@aeinews....
> My daughter just reminded me of last year's kitchen christmas present- a must have - a potato
> ricer. I haven't used it once. Is there something else I can do with it other than sieve cooked
> potatoes, or make baby
food -
> don't have a baby, and cannot see the point in transferring the potatoes
for
> mashing when it's so much quicker just to whip them up - especially if I'm cooking for a crowd.
> But I won't get this year's gadget - a microplane -
if
> I cannot explain what I propose to do with last year's present. Help!
> E.

A ricer makes the best mashed potatoes - give it a try! With a hand masher it is hard to get rid of
all the lumps, and with whipping in a mixer you get a gummier result.

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

"elaine" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3fdbd7be$1_2@aeinews....
> My daughter just reminded me of last year's kitchen christmas present- a must have - a potato
> ricer. I haven't used it once. Is there something else I can do with it other than sieve cooked
> potatoes, or make baby
food -
> don't have a baby, and cannot see the point in transferring the potatoes
for
> mashing when it's so much quicker just to whip them up - especially if I'm cooking for a crowd.
> But I won't get this year's gadget - a microplane -
if
> I cannot explain what I propose to do with last year's present. Help!
> E.

I've riced potatoes for at least 20 years, and there's a huge difference in the texture when
compared to whipped potatoes. To me, whipped potatoes are really "gluey". Give riced potatoes a try
- they're really good!

I've also used my ricer on bananas when I make banana bread, and also for boiled turnips/rutabagas.
It's a pretty handy gadget to have around!

Karen

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> elaine wrote:
>> My daughter just reminded me of last year's kitchen christmas present- a must have - a potato
>> ricer. I haven't used it once. Is there something else I can do with it other than sieve cooked
>> potatoes, or make baby food - don't have a baby, and cannot see the point in transferring the
>> potatoes for mashing when it's so much quicker just to whip them up - especially if I'm cooking
>> for a crowd. But I won't get this year's gadget - a microplane - if I cannot explain what I
>> propose to do with last year's present. Help!
>> E.
>
> So why not just use the ricer on the cooked potatoes to mash them? It won't hurt, I promise.
>
> Jill

It's also great for pressing the liquid out of chopped spinach or other chopped, cooked greens.

I often use the ricer for pressing liquid from the cooked vegetables used to flavor stock.

Wayne

> It is also great for pressing out the roasted garlic puree, from roasted garlic cloves. I saw
> Joanne Weir do that on one of her shows: made it look so easy.
>
> Christine

Wish I'd thought of that last night as I was pressing the hot roasted garlic puree through my
fingers! What a good idea.
E.

> > My daughter just reminded me of last year's kitchen christmas present- a must have - a potato
> > ricer. I haven't used it once. Is there something else I can do with it other than sieve cooked
> > potatoes, or make baby
> food -
> > don't have a baby, and cannot see the point in transferring the potatoes
> for
> > mashing when it's so much quicker just to whip them up - especially if
I'm
> > cooking for a crowd. But I won't get this year's gadget - a
microplane -
> if
> > I cannot explain what I propose to do with last year's present. Help!
> > E.
>
> I've riced potatoes for at least 20 years, and there's a huge difference
in
> the texture when compared to whipped potatoes. To me, whipped potatoes
are
> really "gluey". Give riced potatoes a try - they're really good!
>
> I've also used my ricer on bananas when I make banana bread, and also for boiled
> turnips/rutabagas. It's a pretty handy gadget to have around!
>
> Karen
>
>You could be sorry that you turned down the Micro plane they are really
wonderfull for all those grating jobs but mind your fingers they are very sharp. Diane

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
>> elaine wrote:
>>> My daughter just reminded me of last year's kitchen christmas present- a must have - a potato
>>> ricer.
(snip)
>> So why not just use the ricer on the cooked potatoes to mash them? It won't hurt, I promise.
>>
>> Jill
>
> It's also great for pressing the liquid out of chopped spinach or other chopped, cooked greens.
>
> Wayne

I just use a collapsible veggie steamer for that; no muss, no fuss. Just squeeze the steamer with
said veggies over the sink and voila!

Jill

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 08:42:42 -0500, "elaine" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> It is also great for pressing out the roasted garlic puree, from roasted garlic cloves. I saw
>> Joanne Weir do that on one of her shows: made it look so easy.
>>
>> Christine
>
>Wish I'd thought of that last night as I was pressing the hot roasted garlic puree through my
>fingers! What a good idea.
>E.

She just puts in the whole roasted head of garlic, and squeezes away.

Christine

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> (snip)
>>> So why not just use the ricer on the cooked potatoes to mash them? It won't hurt, I promise.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> It's also great for pressing the liquid out of chopped spinach or other chopped, cooked greens.
>>
>> Wayne
>
> I just use a collapsible veggie steamer for that; no muss, no fuss. Just squeeze the steamer with
> said veggies over the sink and voila!
>
> Jill

Great idea, but my steamer is a pan insert and not a basket.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> (snip)

>>> It's also great for pressing the liquid out of chopped spinach or other chopped, cooked greens.
>>>
>>> Wayne
>>
>> I just use a collapsible veggie steamer for that; no muss, no fuss. Just squeeze the steamer with
>> said veggies over the sink and voila!
>>
>> Jill
>
> Great idea, but my steamer is a pan insert and not a basket.
>
> Wayne

Heh, a buck at any local dollar store, Wayne. Turns any pan into a steamer. Also into a strainer :)

Jill

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> (snip)

>>> I just use a collapsible veggie steamer for that; no muss, no fuss. Just squeeze the steamer
>>> with said veggies over the sink and voila!
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> Great idea, but my steamer is a pan insert and not a basket.
>>
>> Wayne
>
> Heh, a buck at any local dollar store, Wayne. Turns any pan into a steamer. Also into a
> strainer :)
>
> Jill

I used to have one, Jill. It vanished during one of our moves and I've just never thought to replace
it. Perhaps I should, since it's multipurpose.

Thanks, Wayne