or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Regional Cycling Forums › UK and Europe › "We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Make the provision for Bicycles on Trains Free and Compulsory by all train operators."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Make the provision for Bicycles on Trains Free... - Page 8

post #106 of 258

Re: "We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Make the provisionfor Bicycles on Trains Free and Compulsory by all train operators."

Jim Ley wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 23:25:09 +0000, Colin McKenzie
> <news@proof-read.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>The fact that you can travel, at any time, with as many lawnmowers,
>>pushchairs, generators, surfboards, skis, scooters, chainsaws ... as
>>you like, subject to the overall weight limit.

> Except no-one ever does, so it's much like the lack of a ban on
> elephants, completely irrelevant in wasting the time and effort
> writing the rule.

Beggin' yer pardon Jim, but I have been on a train with a pushchair and
another time, although it was not a surfboard, I did carry and ironing
board on one. Neither time was I required to book in advance or store it
in a particular place, or refused permission to board because there were
already 2 on board (as was the case with the pushchair, I think I was
the only one with an ironing board).

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Turn on, log in, fight spam.
post #107 of 258

Re: "We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Make the provision for Bicycles on Trains Free and Compulsory by all train operators."

In article <45cf90c1$0$8724$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>, John
Hearns
nospam@nospam.com says...
> Charles Ellson wrote:
> >

> > Would these be the cyclists often seen to have ignored their own stop
> > lines and seen to have passed partly through the junction in
> > disobedience of the traffic lights themselves ?

> It won't fit in with your world view, and so this is probably futile.
> Cyclists who do this are making themselves safer - they are getting into
> a position where they are seen, and can position themselves in traffic.

No they're not - they're people for whom stopping at a line painted on
the road is too much trouble, just like the drivers who think it's OK to
go through a light if it's /only just/ turned red.

> As I say, this won't fit with your world view.
> Also realise that cyclists are regularly killed by left-turning HGVs in
> London.

That risk is easily reduced by not placing yourself to the left of HGVs
that might turn left - maybe it's not as obvous as it seems, most of the
people who get squashed apparently haven't figured it out.
post #108 of 258

John Hearns wrote:

>>> Sad little people who are jealous of disabled parking spaces.
>>>

>> Which you are not of course because cyclists aren't allowed to use
>> them.

> ?? Wy would cyclists want to use a disabled car parking place?
>
> I'm making a reference to a thread on uk.rec.cycling from a few weeks ago.

Perhaps it's time for everyone from urc to end the crosspost. No one's
got anywhere.

post #109 of 258

Re: "We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Make the provision for Bicycles on Trains Free and Compulsory by all train operators."

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:18:17 +0000, Charles Ellson
<charles@ellson.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 15:29:19 GMT, jim@jibbering.com (Jim Ley) wrote:
>
><snip>
>>This is a cycling newsgroup,
>>

>_This_ group isn't.

I do admit I've not read the ukr charter, is it on topic to discuss
camel rider law breaking on UK roads?

Jim.
post #110 of 258

Re: "We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Make the provision for Bicycles on Trains Free and Compulsory by all train operators."

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 21:42:25 +0000, Don Whybrow
<don@fwhybrow.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Beggin' yer pardon Jim, but I have been on a train with a pushchair and
>another time, although it was not a surfboard, I did carry and ironing
>board on one.

The pushchair presumably had a child in it (if not then again it's
such a rare occurance that it doesn't disrupt), and an ironing board
is much smaller and more maneoverable than a bicycle, so I'm not sure
of the relevance.

If they became a problem, they would be managed like bicycles, they're
not a problem, so they're not managed. You could argue bikes are not
a problem, and you'd be often right, which is probably why I have no
problems travelling with a bicycle on a train most of the time...

Jim.
post #111 of 258

Re: [CITC]"We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Makethe provision for Bicycles on Trains Free and Compulsory by all train operators."

Charles Ellson wrote on 11/02/2007 22:44 +0100:

> Rule 54. You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement. ...
> Having been struck more than once by incompetent cyclists on the
> pavement but never by car, motorcycle or horse-riders I view it as an
> activity not to be encoraged.

You missed Rules 47 and 48. If you have a problem then have a go at
your local councillors for making many of the pavements shared use.
Personally I avoid shared use pavements like the plague only to get
shouted at by motorists to "get on the f-ing pavement" So you can't win
either way.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
post #112 of 258

Roland Perry wrote on 11/02/2007 22:51 +0100:

> Could I cycle to the petrol station with a big tank and fill up tax
> free, to fuel my car the following day?

You could fill up with cyclist fuel tax free but it won't be much use in
your car.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
post #113 of 258

"Charles Ellson" <charles@ellson.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 15:29:19 GMT, jim@jibbering.com (Jim Ley) wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>This is a cycling newsgroup,
>>

> _This_ group isn't.

then why not just post to the newsgroup you read it in?
post #114 of 258

"Jim Ley" <jim@jibbering.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:18:17 +0000, Charles Ellson
> <charles@ellson.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 15:29:19 GMT, jim@jibbering.com (Jim Ley) wrote:
>>
>><snip>
>>>This is a cycling newsgroup,
>>>

>>_This_ group isn't.

> I do admit I've not read the ukr charter, is it on topic to discuss
> camel rider law breaking on UK roads?

No, but what would be the relationship to the railway?

> Jim.
post #115 of 258

"Tim Woodall" <devnull@woodall.me.uk> wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 20:49:36 GMT,
> Alan Holmes <alan.holmes@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>
>> "Tim Woodall" <devnull@woodall.me.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Outside my partner's house the average speed of traffic (as very
>>> recently

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> measured by the police) is 47mph with 15% of cars doing more than 60mph.

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> How do you know that?
>>

> If it really helps, they had people there with speed guns and panda cars
> parked for a number of days, so I would expect that this is a low figure
> but I suppose it could be argued that motorists are such arrogant
> lawbreakers that they accelerate when they see a speed check.

And the police did not bother to stop the offenders, but they did have the
curtsy to tell all the locals!

Alan
post #116 of 258

Charles Ellson wrote on 11/02/2007 23:33 +0100:

>> If you have a problem then have a go at
>> your local councillors for making many of the pavements shared use.
>>

> Which they haven't.

Then I guess The Cycle Tracks Act 1984 and LTN 2/04 - Adjacent and
Shared Use Facilities for Pedestrians and Cyclists are just figments of
my and the Department of Transports imagination then. Or you could be
wrong.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
post #117 of 258

Re: "We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Make the provision for Bicycles on Trains Free and Compulsory by all train operators."

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 20:47:49 +0000, TrollB and undenied ABD member
<"matt.bourke"@nospam.london.com> wrote:

>>> Yes. You can, contrary to "popular opinion" in this ng, be banned from
>>> cycling.

>> However, _all_ persons are banned from driving a motor-car, unless
>> they have recieved permission.
>>
>> The same does not apply to cyclists.However,

>i.e. you agree - good.

No, we do not agree; not on essence, number, or implication.

The essence is that persons are banned from driving a motor-car _by
default_, and the number of persons so banned in the UK is in the
millions.

Cyclists in contrast might only be banned by a specific action of the
authorities and it seems doubtful that (in contrast to the millions)
the number or persons so banned is greater than the number of fingers
on one of my hands.

The implications are obvious.
post #118 of 258

Re: "We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Make the provision for Bicycles on Trains Free and Compulsory by all train operators."

In article <45cf97bd$0$8729$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>, John
Hearns
nospam@nospam.com says...
> Rob Morley wrote:
>
> > No they're not - they're people for whom stopping at a line painted on
> > the road is too much trouble, just like the drivers who think it's OK to
> > go through a light if it's /only just/ turned red.

> I beg to differ. They are in effect creating an ASL for themselves.

The Highway Code makes no provision for this. If there isn't an ASL
they should stop at the line like everyone else.
post #119 of 258

In article <sdOzh.2173$Fg4.2105@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>, Alan Holmes
alan.holmes@nowhere.com says...

> And the police did not bother to stop the offenders, but they did have the
> curtsy to tell all the locals!

They might bow to public pressure.
post #120 of 258

Re: "We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Make the provision for Bicycles on Trains Free and Compulsory by all train operators."

"Charles Ellson" <charles@ellson.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 15:29:19 GMT, jim@jibbering.com (Jim Ley) wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>This is a cycling newsgroup,
>>

> _This_ group isn't.

Just think, if Bill hadn't posted the original numpty whinge, you wouldn't
have had all this crap.

clive
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home