or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Had a dream about my bikes being stolen

post #1 of 8
Pat wrote:
:: Last night, I woke up in alarm because I had a dream about my bikes
:: being stolen from my house. I have been thinking this over---do you
:: suppose it was my subconscious telling me to write down all of the
:: serial numbers and take photos of the bikes? I guess it's not enough
:: to tell the police officer that mine is the silver one if I don't
:: have any other proof.....
::
:: What do other people do to have proof of ownership?
::
:: Pat in TX

I take digital photos of everything for proof of ownership in case I need to
prove it to an insurance company. Offsite storage is a good idea.
post #2 of 8

Re: Had a dream about my bikes being stolen

Pat wrote:
> Last night, I woke up in alarm because I had a dream about my bikes being
> stolen from my house. I have been thinking this over---do you suppose it was
> my subconscious telling me to write down all of the serial numbers and take
> photos of the bikes? I guess it's not enough to tell the police officer that
> mine is the silver one if I don't have any other proof.....
>
> What do other people do to have proof of ownership?

If it takes a dream to get you to write down the serial numbers of your
bikes, then that's great. Do it. My older bikes only have 4 or 5-digit
numbers; I actually still know them both by heart. My Habanero has a
big-ol long serial number, possibly because there have been millions of
'em sold (right, Mark?). But I do have it written down. Pictures are
also good to have. Updated ones would be better (note to self).

--

David L. Johnson

Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of business.
post #3 of 8

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 09:29:34 -0600, "Pat" <Pat@faraway.com> wrote:

>Last night, I woke up in alarm because I had a dream about my bikes being
>stolen from my house. I have been thinking this over---do you suppose it was
>my subconscious telling me to write down all of the serial numbers and take
>photos of the bikes? I guess it's not enough to tell the police officer that
>mine is the silver one if I don't have any other proof.....
>
>What do other people do to have proof of ownership?

I had a similar dream from which I deliberately woke myself because
it was unpleasant and I wanted to be sure it was a dream.

My bikes are digitally documented. Some pics don't show the more
recent upgrades but the colours are right.

The serial numbers are recorded in a couple different places but I
doubt I'd be able to produce receipts for more than maybe two frames
and a whole bunch of parts.
post #4 of 8

Re: Had a dream about my bikes being stolen

How do you feel about your mother? Do you have feelings towards the
same sex? What are you ashamed of?

On Feb 13, 11:08 pm, "Claire" <cpeter...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Feb 13, 7:29 am, "Pat" <P...@faraway.com> wrote:
>
> > Last night, I woke up in alarm because I had a dream about my bikes being
> > stolen from my house. I have been thinking this over---do you suppose it was
> > my subconscious telling me to write down all of the serial numbers and take
> > photos of the bikes?

> That's a good idea, but I don't think that's what this dream is really
> about.
>
> What do your bikes mean to you? Freedom? Independence? The ability to
> get somewhere in your life? This is what you're afraid of being taken
> from you.
>
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire
post #5 of 8

On Feb 13, 10:29 am, "Pat" <P...@faraway.com> wrote:
> Last night, I woke up in alarm because I had a dream about my bikes being
> stolen from my house. I have been thinking this over---do you suppose it was
> my subconscious telling me to write down all of the serial numbers and take
> photos of the bikes? I guess it's not enough to tell the police officer that
> mine is the silver one if I don't have any other proof.....
>
> What do other people do to have proof of ownership?
>
> Pat in TX

I can relate to the dream. I've had nights in the past where I forgot
to bring the bike in from the car, and decided to leave it overnight
when I remembered after dinner. This usually results in a couple
hours of tossing and turning, followed by my bringing the bike inside
in the middle of the night.

Thanks for the reminder to update the bike folder. I've got the
serial # of my 2 favorites (and oldest) but I've yet to do anything
regarding the newer two. I'll have to update the serial # list & take
some digital photos as well. On my more expensive bike I've got a
written list of components as well. I'm not sure that this would make
any difference in the event of a theft, but I figured it can't hurt.

Aside from that, I'm not sure what you can do. I'm tempted to
specifically inform my home owners insurance, but I'd have no way to
verify value.
post #6 of 8

Re: Had a dream about my bikes being stolen

<bigjim@backpacker.com> wrote: How do you feel about your mother? Do you
have feelings towards th same sex? What are you ashamed of?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, and sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. ;-)
post #7 of 8

Re: Had a dream about my bikes being stolen

Pat <Pat@faraway.com> wrote: > Last night, I woke up in alarm because I
had a dream about my bikes being > stolen from my house. I have been
thinking this over---do you suppose it was > my subconscious telling me to
write down all of the serial numbers and take > photos of the bikes? I
guess it's not enough to tell the police officer that > mine is the silver
one if I don't have any other proof.....

> What do other people do to have proof of ownership?

I have a list of the serial numbers of everything I own that has a
serial number. (Note to self: print it out in case they swipe the
computer too.)
And I got one of those kewl little engraving pens and carved my driver
license number in a couple of places on each bike and my trailer.

Bill

__o | Reason has seldom failed us because it has seldom been tried.
_`\(,_ |
(_)/ (_) | --Edward Abbey
post #8 of 8

Pat <Pat@faraway.com> wrote:

> What do other people do to have proof of ownership?

I have serial numbers of *most* of my frames, and I have pictures of all
the built up bikes.

Recently I just picked up a pack of business cards cheap (250 for $1).
I think I'll start sticking them in the seat tubes, handlebars, head
tubes and bottom of saddles as opportunity presents itself.

--
Dane Buson - sigdane@unixbigots.org
The world is your exercise-book, the pages on which you do your sums.