Fresh blueberries and cottage cheese

cybercat wrote:

> Sometimes there's nothing better.

Agreed! Pineapple is good too ;)

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 23:38:42 -0500, "cybercat" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Sometimes there's nothing better.

How did you get fresh blueberries this time of year????

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

<sf> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 23:38:42 -0500, "cybercat" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>Sometimes there's nothing better.
>>

> How did you get fresh blueberries this time of year????

I was surprised too!

Third row down, second item from the left:

http://tinyurl.com/2gphwp

They were in 4oz containers, 2 for $4, and SOOO fresh.

Do you ever think about how transportation and refrigeration
technology has made things available to us that our grandparents
never dreamed of? Technology is sucha double-edged sword.

"Sky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> cybercat wrote:
>>
>> Sometimes there's nothing better.

> Agreed! Pineapple is good too ;)

Oooo, yesh. :) Have you ever had pineapple
and raisins with cottage cheese?

I avoid it because it is too good and those fruits are
so sugary, it's fattening in the quantities I want to eat it!

"sf" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 23:38:42 -0500, "cybercat" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>Sometimes there's nothing better.
>>

> How did you get fresh blueberries this time of year????

My store has fresh raspberries and strawberries right now. Gawd knows where
they're from.

Ms P

"Ms P" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "sf" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 23:38:42 -0500, "cybercat" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Sometimes there's nothing better.
>>>

>> How did you get fresh blueberries this time of year????

> My store has fresh raspberries and strawberries right now. Gawd knows
> where they're from.
>
> Ms P

Most fruits and vegetables are available here in Virginia, U.S. all year
around -- I would suppose from a different hemisphere.
Or different lattitudes. Doesn't mean that they will be absolutely fresh,
though.

I've tasted seasonal apples bought in stores that certainly didn't taste as
good as buying at the farm. Probably 2 weeks' lag time.

Dee Dee

Arri London wrote:

> cybercat wrote:
>> Sometimes there's nothing better.

> LOL we don't have fresh berries at this time of year so frozen are used
> in that capacity.
>
> Started eating blueberries daily in an effort to boost my now
> less-than-good eyesight. Tastes a lot better than any supplement!

Heh. Learned something new today - blueberries are good for your
eyesight? Thought that was carrots ;)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

cybercat wrote:

> Sometimes there's nothing better.

LOL we don't have fresh berries at this time of year so frozen are used
in that capacity.

Started eating blueberries daily in an effort to boost my now
less-than-good eyesight. Tastes a lot better than any supplement!

"cybercat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> <sf> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 23:38:42 -0500, "cybercat" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Sometimes there's nothing better.
>>>

>> How did you get fresh blueberries this time of year????
>>

> I was surprised too!
>
> Third row down, second item from the left:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2gphwp
>
> They were in 4oz containers, 2 for $4, and SOOO fresh.

I just picked some up (along with blackberries and watermelon) for my
daughter the other day (she LOVES fruit). They were on sale where I shop,
too (http://tinyurl.com/2whpkl).

Mary

"MareCat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "cybercat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> <sf> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

>>> How did you get fresh blueberries this time of year????
>>>

>> I was surprised too!
>>
>> Third row down, second item from the left:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2gphwp
>>
>> They were in 4oz containers, 2 for $4, and SOOO fresh.

> I just picked some up (along with blackberries and watermelon) for my
> daughter the other day (she LOVES fruit). They were on sale where I shop,
> too (http://tinyurl.com/2whpkl).
>
> Mary

I keep dried blueberries on-hand. The only problem is that they are usually
coated with something I don't care to ingest, but I buy them anyway (sigh!)
hoping that the good will outweigh the bad --
Dee Dee

"MareCat" <[email protected]> wrote

> I just picked some up (along with blackberries and watermelon) for my
> daughter the other day (she LOVES fruit). They were on sale where I shop,
> too (http://tinyurl.com/2whpkl).

Man, I wonder who is growing these things, and where? I'm used to having to
wait until early spring to get blueberries.

"Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> cybercat wrote:
>>
>> Sometimes there's nothing better.

> LOL we don't have fresh berries at this time of year so frozen are used
> in that capacity.
>
> Started eating blueberries daily in an effort to boost my now
> less-than-good eyesight. Tastes a lot better than any supplement!

Frozen are good, too, but the skins get so tough, don't you find them?
Normally we only have frozen this time of year, too. Their medicinal
properties are pretty amazing, I agree.

"cybercat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "MareCat" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> I just picked some up (along with blackberries and watermelon) for my
>> daughter the other day (she LOVES fruit). They were on sale where I shop,
>> too (http://tinyurl.com/2whpkl).
>>

> Man, I wonder who is growing these things, and where? I'm used to having
> wait until early spring to get blueberries.

The ones I bought are from Argentina.

Mary

On Dec 4, 11:44�am, "Dee.Dee" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "MareCat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > "cybercat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >> I was surprised too!

> >> Third row down, second item from the left:

> >>http://tinyurl.com/2gphwp

> >> They were in 4oz containers, 2 for $4, and SOOO fresh.

> > I just picked some up (along with blackberries and watermelon) for my
> > daughter the other day (she LOVES fruit). They were on sale where I shop,
> > too (http://tinyurl.com/2whpkl).

> > Mary

> I keep dried blueberries on-hand. �The only problem is that they are usually
> coated with something I don't care to ingest, but I buy them anyway (sigh!)
> hoping that the good will outweigh the bad --

I planted my own blueberry bushes, can't get fresher than the only
transportation is bush to mouth. Even though last year was my first
crop there was still a good amount, I was picking about a pint each
day, and that was before I netted out the crows. This coming season I
expect more than enough that I can even freeze some. I don't know if
it's because they are really fresh picked but these are the best
blueberries I've ever eaten, and when picked fully ripe they're the
size of a nickel.

Sheldon

cybercat wrote:
> "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>

>> cybercat wrote:
>>>
>>> Sometimes there's nothing better.

>> LOL we don't have fresh berries at this time of year so frozen are
>> used in that capacity.
>>
>> Started eating blueberries daily in an effort to boost my now
>> less-than-good eyesight. Tastes a lot better than any supplement!

> Frozen are good, too, but the skins get so tough, don't you find them?
> Normally we only have frozen this time of year, too. Their medicinal
> properties are pretty amazing, I agree.

We have fresh blueberries in our supermarkets but I don't know where they
are from. I will look next time I go there.

cybercat wrote:

> Sometimes there's nothing better.

I have always liked cottage cheese with canned peaches or pears.

Sheldon wrote:

> I planted my own blueberry bushes, can't get fresher than the only
> transportation is bush to mouth. Even though last year was my first
> crop there was still a good amount, I was picking about a pint each
> day, and that was before I netted out the crows. This coming season I
> expect more than enough that I can even freeze some. I don't know if
> it's because they are really fresh picked but these are the best
> blueberries I've ever eaten, and when picked fully ripe they're the
> size of a nickel.
>
> Sheldon

That's the only reason I would consider moving to a cooler climate - fresh
berries! You're lucky that you have both the land and the right temperature
to plant them and get them to fruit. OTOH, we can grow pineapples, bananas,
strawberries, oranges, limes, lemons, passion fruit, grapefruit and
avocados. Another bonus to the tropics is that we have a much longer
growing season and an earlier one, which results in fresh tomatoes, peppers
and asparagus by Feb./March. I guess every climate has its advantages. :~)

kili

On Dec 4, 4:37�pm, "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > I planted my own blueberry bushes, can't get fresher than the only
> > transportation is bush to mouth. �Even though last year was my first
> > crop there was still a good amount, I was picking about a pint each
> > day, and that was before I netted out the crows. �This coming season I
> > expect more than enough that I can even freeze some. �I don't know if
> > it's because they are really fresh picked but these are the best
> > blueberries I've ever eaten, and when picked fully ripe they're the
> > size of a nickel.

> > Sheldon

> That's the only reason I would consider moving to a cooler climate - fresh
> berries! �You're lucky that you have both the land and the right temperature
> to plant them and get them to fruit. �OTOH, we can grow pineapples, bananas,
> strawberries, oranges, limes, lemons, passion fruit, grapefruit and
> avocados. �Another bonus to the tropics is that we have a much longer
> growing season and an earlier one, which results in fresh tomatoes, peppers
> and asparagus by Feb./March. �I guess every climate has its advantages. �:~)
>
> kili

I'm pretty sure there are blueberries that will grow in warm
climates. And you don't need much room to grow blueberries.

http://www.floridablueberrygrowers.com/

http://nfrec-sv.ifas.ufl.edu/blueberries.htm

Sheldon

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> cybercat wrote:
>>
>> Sometimes there's nothing better.

> I have always liked cottage cheese with canned peaches or pears.

I'll have to try that. Mandarin oranges and raspberries are good too. (Fresh
raspberries are a bit **** and the seeds are too hard ... I kind of like
frozen better ... but the mandarin oranges add sufficient sweetness to
balance out the tartness of fresh raspberries.)