foods that may increase inflammation?

Carol

Guest
I have chronic tendonitis in both shoulders. I also have chronic low back pain. In short, I'm a
mess. I'm a 58 year old women and shouldn't be feeling this way quite yet.

I was wondering if some of the foods that I eat may be making it worse. I eat two tangerines per day
and also take 500 mg of vitamin
C. Could this be a problem?

I eat lots of salad (dark greens - no iceburg lettuce). I drink lots of water. I do not eat a lot of
dairy but I do have skimmed milk with my Total in the morning.

I take 750 mg daily of calcium citrate with vitamin D and magnesium

Can't think of anything else I take often.

Any help would be appreciated. I cannot take ibuprofen or other NSAI's because they upset my
stomach. I even had to stop Vioxx after six weeks.

Thanks

Once upon a time, our fellow Carol rambled on about "foods that may increase inflammation?." Our
champion De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...

>I also have chronic low back pain.

Medium-firm Mattress Best for Back Pain, Researchers Say "Reuters Health By Patricia Reaney Friday,
November 14, 2003

LONDON (Reuters) - If lower back pain is making life a misery, a medium-firm mattress could provide
some relief.

Although a firm mattress offers better support and is recommended by most doctors, Spanish
researchers said Friday a less rigid mattress is best for a pain in the back.

"A medium firmness mattress is better than a hard mattress for back pain," said Dr. Francisco Kovacs
of the Kovacs Foundation, a medical charity in Palma de Mallorca, Spain.

Lower back pain is one of the most common ailments and affects most people at some point in their
lives. Americans spend at least $50 billion a year on lower back pain, according to the National
Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke."

SOURCE: Francisco M Kovacs, Víctor Abraira, Andrés Peña. Effect of firmness of mattress on chronic
non-specific low-back pain: randomised, double-blind, controlled, multicentre trial, The http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T1B-4B1S5TD-7&_user=10&_handle=W-WA-A-A-
VD-MsSAYWA-UUA-AUZEVWBDEA-AUEAVDDBE-VD-
U&_fmt=summary&_coverDate=11%2F15%2F2003&_rdoc=7&_orig=browse&_srch=%23toc%234886%232003%2399637060-
3%23470809!&_cdi=4886&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=0cfb0e0a27efe-
6ef28f4939e476ee100 Lancet Volume 362, Issue 9396 , 15 November 2003, Pages 1599-1604
------------------------
This Article Concluded:

"He and his colleagues compared the impact of hard and medium-firm mattresses on 313 people who
suffered from chronic lower back pain.

The patients were randomly selected and given either a firm or medium firm mattress and were asked
to report on the amount of back pain they suffered while lying in bed and rising in the morning.

After three months people who slept on the medium-firm mattress reported greater pain relief and
less disability than the other group.

"The use of a mattress of medium firmness improves the clinical course of low back pain in a higher
proportion of patients than the use of a firm mattress," Kovacs said in a report in The Lancet
medical journal.

He believes that if the mattress is too strong it may not adapt to the natural curves of the
spinal column"

------------------------
Comment:

Back when I was suffering from lower back pain I discovered that my soft mattress was doing me in
during the night. When I switched to a firm mattress, my back problems disappeared practically
overnight.

I never really experimented with different firmness levels, so perhaps medium firmness is best? But,
I still enjoy sleeping on a firm mattress. So, I really have not noticed any problems with it.
--
John Gohde,
Feeling Great and Better than Ever!

Natural therapy is the treatment method used by advocates of natural
health.
http://tutorials.naturalhealthperspective.com/natural-therapy.html

"Carol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have chronic tendonitis in both shoulders. I also have chronic low back pain. In short, I'm a
> mess. I'm a 58 year old women and shouldn't be feeling this way quite yet.
>
> I was wondering if some of the foods that I eat may be making it worse. I eat two tangerines per
> day and also take 500 mg of vitamin
> C. Could this be a problem?
>
> I eat lots of salad (dark greens - no iceburg lettuce). I drink lots of water. I do not eat a lot
> of dairy but I do have skimmed milk with my Total in the morning.
>
> I take 750 mg daily of calcium citrate with vitamin D and magnesium
>
> Can't think of anything else I take often.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I cannot take ibuprofen or other NSAI's because they upset my
> stomach. I even had to stop Vioxx after six weeks.
>
> Thanks

Tendonitis is a tough problem. You might try MSM though it does have its own side effects. I settled
on the use of one gram per day. An ultra safe recommendation would be to reduce omega-6 fatty acid
intake and increase omega-3 fatty acid intake. In other words, avoid soy oil, and most other
vegetable oils and add wild catch cold ocean fish like salmon and sardines. This might help blunt
the associated inflammation a little.

If you ever try NSAID's again, also take a proton pump inhibitor drug to help protect the stomach. I
saw a recent article on this subject in the press of late.

As to the Total cereal, you don't likely need the extra iron it provides. Prepared cereals are
expensive foods and tend to be quite high in sodium.

The moderate dose of vitamin C isn't a problem. Dark greens are good as they provide vitamin K,
lutien, and other carotenoids.

Have you been checked for osteoporosis?

Warning these are the opinions are NOT those of a medical
professional!!!............................
..........................................William A. Noyes

William A. Noyes wrote:

> Tendonitis is a tough problem. You might try MSM though it does have its own side effects.

How about glucosimin with or w/o Chondriotin? Takes a while but very little few side effects and
quite effective as an anti inflammatory?

> If you ever try NSAID's again, also take a proton pump inhibitor drug to help protect the stomach.
> I saw a recent article on this subject in the press of late.

Aleve(naproxen Sodium) works well and also less traumatic with your stomach. I like it better than
many other over the counter NSAIDs since you only need to take it twice day and that can be after
breakfast and dinner - two common intervals for most everyone. Others have a more frequent schedule
and are often missed when one has a busy work day.

> Have you been checked for osteoporosis?

Is there any diagnosis? I missed the beginning of this thread.

"Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> William A. Noyes wrote:
>

> > Tendonitis is a tough problem. You might try MSM though it does have its own side effects.
>
> How about glucosimin with or w/o Chondriotin? Takes a while but very little few side effects and
> quite effective as an anti inflammatory?

Worth a try though I think it is better for joint pain. The OP has chronic tendonitis.

> > If you ever try NSAID's again, also take a proton pump inhibitor drug to help protect the
> > stomach. I saw a recent article on this subject in the press of late.
>
> Aleve(naproxen Sodium) works well and also less traumatic with your stomach. I like it better than
> many other over the counter NSAIDs since you only need to take it twice day and that can be after
> breakfast and dinner - two common intervals for most everyone. Others have a more frequent
> schedule and are often missed when one has a busy work day.

The reports I've read and my own experience with Aleve indicate to me it is "hell" on the stomach.
It is more convenient than ibuprofen.

> > Have you been checked for osteoporosis?
>
> Is there any diagnosis? I missed the beginning of this thread.

58 year old women with chronic tendonitis.

[email protected] (Carol) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have chronic tendonitis in both shoulders. I also have chronic low back pain. In short, I'm a
> mess. I'm a 58 year old women and shouldn't be feeling this way quite yet.
>
> I was wondering if some of the foods that I eat may be making it worse. I eat two tangerines per
> day and also take 500 mg of vitamin
> C. Could this be a problem?

Yes I noticed when I ate two oranges per day a huge trigger for inflammation.

> I eat lots of salad (dark greens - no iceburg lettuce). I drink lots of water. I do not eat a lot
> of dairy but I do have skimmed milk with my Total in the morning.

Spinach is a energy potent food and should be eaten sparingly. Healthy foods can not always be
consumed everyday. OH how I know this. As for the Total in the morning visit www.mercola.com and
just read his take on the grain thing, You dont have to buy the book just at least read what he's
saying. The free newsletter is pretty good.

> I take 750 mg daily of calcium citrate with vitamin D and magnesium

I use to have simular muscle tendon problems you speak of... and IMHO I think they are caused from
consuming too many good things like vitamins etc.

> Can't think of anything else I take often.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I cannot take ibuprofen or other NSAI's because they upset my
> stomach. I even had to stop Vioxx after six weeks.
>
> Thanks

I hope you feel better soon. Some quote I have gathered:

"I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it."

Still infighting I see - c'est la vie.

like 'What was life like when you didn't have technology?' "

Further proof that 50% of all Doctors graduate at the bottom half of the class!

Avoid foods rich in Arachidonic Acid ?

"An essential, unsaturated, 20 carbon fatty acid that humans use to synthesize regulatory molecules
such as prostaglandins and thromboxanes. As the mast cell is activated, several other events occur
that contribute to the pathophysiology of allergic diseases. One such event is the activation of a
membrane enzyme called phospholipase A2 , which breaks down membrane components to arachidonic acid
. Arachidonic acid is further metabolized by one of two enzyme pathways into various prostaglandins
(by cyclooxygenase) or leukotrienes (by lipooxygenase). Both prostaglandins and leucotrienes are
highly pro-inflammatory, bronchospastic and vasodilatory"

http://www.ultraprevention.com/pain.html

"Carol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have chronic tendonitis in both shoulders. I also have chronic low back pain. In short, I'm a
> mess. I'm a 58 year old women and shouldn't be feeling this way quite yet.
>
> I was wondering if some of the foods that I eat may be making it worse. I eat two tangerines per
> day and also take 500 mg of vitamin
> C. Could this be a problem?
>
> I eat lots of salad (dark greens - no iceburg lettuce). I drink lots of water. I do not eat a lot
> of dairy but I do have skimmed milk with my Total in the morning.
>
> I take 750 mg daily of calcium citrate with vitamin D and magnesium
>
> Can't think of anything else I take often.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I cannot take ibuprofen or other NSAI's because they upset my
> stomach. I even had to stop Vioxx after six weeks.
>
> Thanks

[email protected] (Carol) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have chronic tendonitis in both shoulders. I also have chronic low back pain. In short, I'm a
> mess. I'm a 58 year old women and shouldn't be feeling this way quite yet.
>
> I was wondering if some of the foods that I eat may be making it worse. I eat two tangerines per
> day and also take 500 mg of vitamin
> C. Could this be a problem?
>
> I eat lots of salad (dark greens - no iceburg lettuce). I drink lots of water. I do not eat a lot
> of dairy but I do have skimmed milk with my Total in the morning.
>
> I take 750 mg daily of calcium citrate with vitamin D and magnesium
>
> Can't think of anything else I take often.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I cannot take ibuprofen or other NSAI's because they upset my
> stomach. I even had to stop Vioxx after six weeks.
>
> Thanks

Carol

You may want to try Voltaren Emulgel (External Cream)

see info at:- http://store.yahoo.com/healthchemist-au/volem10x6tub.html

It was recommended by my physiotherapist for tendonitis in my elbow. I was able to purchase it from
the pharmacist for 6€.

Paul

x-no-archive: yes

> I eat two tangerines per day and also take 500 mg of vitamin
>> C. Could this be a problem?
>>
>> I eat lots of salad (dark greens - no iceburg lettuce). I drink lots of water. I do not eat a lot
>> of dairy but I do have skimmed milk with my Total in the morning.

I don't know if this would work for you, but I had severe body pain, mostly in my back and
shoulders, that disappeared overnight when I stopped eating starch and sugars. No harm trying to
lower these to see if it helps. I'd leave out the fruit at first, too, then, if symptoms improve,
gradually add things back in to see if you find pain triggers.

Susan

This post not CC'd by email
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:40:10 -0800, "William A. Noyes"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>As to the Total cereal, you don't likely need the extra iron it provides

G'day G'day William,

It is probably also worth mentioning the some iron salts initiate free radical cascades.

"The Inflammation Syndrome" by Jack Chalem, published 2003 by John Wiley and Sons, isbn 0-471-20271-
1 offer comprehensive advice on preventing inflammation and the diseases associated with it.

Best wishes,

--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ / New Zealand, >#,#< [ / \ /\ "... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

"Quentin Grady" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> This post not CC'd by email On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:40:10 -0800, "William A. Noyes"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >As to the Total cereal, you don't likely need the extra iron it provides
>
> G'day G'day William,
>
> It is probably also worth mentioning the some iron salts initiate free radical cascades.

Some more than others?

Good to see a posting of yours.........a friendly face.

.............William

> "The Inflammation Syndrome" by Jack Chalem, published 2003 by John Wiley and Sons, isbn 0-471-20271-
> 1 offer comprehensive advice on preventing inflammation and the diseases associated with it.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> --
> Quentin Grady ^ ^ / New Zealand, >#,#< [ / \ /\ "... and the blind dog was leading."
>
> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

This post not CC'd by email
On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 01:15:02 -0800, "William A. Noyes"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> It is probably also worth mentioning the some iron salts initiate
>> free radical cascades.
>
>Some more than others?

G'day G'day William,

Here is a summary of what Jack Challem has to say.

Copper and iron are both minerals essential for health, but they pose problems for people with
Metabolic Syndrome or diabetes. Excesses of either copper or iron can increase free radical
activity, cause oxidative damage to tissues, age the body and greatly increase the risks of
degenerative diseases. Put simply a diet containing nuts and seed should supply sufficient copper
and an meat should supply sufficient iron. Zinc:copper = 15:1 is suggested as a healthy ratio.

IMHO there is safety factor in having complexed copper and iron rather than simple salts. Ferrous
and ferric ions are going to create strong electric fields influencing molecules they come in
contact with. The ferrous/ferric option allows electron transfer for redox reactions.

>Good to see a posting of yours.........a friendly face.

With so much information available it takes active collaboration to get the best out of the data.

>.............William

Best wishes for an awesome festive season.