or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Richmond velodrome BC

post #1 of 5
"Tom Keats" <tkeats2005@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:v5knse.8u1.ln@bud.garden.local...
> In article <c4FHh.1261778$R63.442342@pd7urf1no>,
> "nash" <zwepytzkehillc9@jetable.net> writes:
>> Anybody participate at that Velodrome. Burnaby was mentioned in January
>> and
>> I did not know Richmond also has one.
>> I wonder what events they hold.

> Are you sure that's not _Redmond_ (WA)?
> They have their Marymoor Velodrome there.

WIWAK, I used to throw my bike over the fence and then ride around on the
velodrome course there. That was kinda fun.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
post #2 of 5

Re: Richmond velodrome BC

In article <2uMHh.1259661$1T2.801526@pd7urf2no>,
"nash" <zwepytzkehillc9@jetable.net> wrote:

> I guess the bike courier was wrong. I could not find it under Recreation in
> Richmond. He was going to a courier race in Vancouver on the 24th. What a
> hell of a rain storm that was.

Yeah, no Richmond velodrome, I'm about 99% sure.

There is a May-August crit series in Richmond run by Team Coastal.

A second velodrome in the GVRD would probably be a waste. First, let's
get the first one really popular. Maybe popular enough to buy out the
volleyball people in the infield (not really their fault, but a long
story for sure...).

Racing right now, aside from the 'drome, is the Spring Series out in the
Langley-Abbotsford region. Road races every weekend day in March.

Then it's on to the regular road/crit/whatever sked in BC, and velodrome
riding tapers off until the Fall, though for other PNW velodromes, the
season is just about to start.

--
Ryan Cousineau rcousine@sfu.ca http://www.wiredcola.com/
post #3 of 5

Re: Richmond velodrome BC

In article <7gXHh.1268470$1T2.949872@pd7urf2no>,
"nash" <zwepytzkehillc9@jetable.net> wrote:

> "Ryan Cousineau" <rcousine@sfu.ca> wrote in message
> > In article <2uMHh.1259661$1T2.801526@pd7urf2no>,
> > "nash" <zwepytzkehillc9@jetable.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I guess the bike courier was wrong. I could not find it under Recreation
> >> in
> >> Richmond. He was going to a courier race in Vancouver on the 24th. What
> >> hell of a rain storm that was.

> > Yeah, no Richmond velodrome, I'm about 99% sure.
> >
> > There is a May-August crit series in Richmond run by Team Coastal.
> >
> > A second velodrome in the GVRD would probably be a waste. First, let's
> > get the first one really popular. Maybe popular enough to buy out the
> > volleyball people in the infield (not really their fault, but a long
> > story for sure...).
> >
> > Racing right now, aside from the 'drome, is the Spring Series out in the
> > Langley-Abbotsford region. Road races every weekend day in March.

> Where is the website if you wanted to be there for a race in
> Langley/abbotsford.
> I would like to know the route specifically.

http://www.escapevelocity.bc.ca/springseries.html

THe routes for next weekend are Zero Avenue on Saturday (0 & 232nd
street, Langley)

http://www.escapevelocity.bc.ca/spri.../ssroute4.html

Park your car on 8th Ave.

Sunday is the most notorious race of the series, the brutally steep
Armstrong circuit. It takes place just outside of Fort Langley:

http://www.escapevelocity.bc.ca/spri.../ssroute1.html

The suffering is exquisite!

Racing starts at 10:30am. Three groups on the course at the same time,
with the elite "A" group expected to wrap up in somewhere around 3 hours.

--
Ryan Cousineau rcousine@sfu.ca http://www.wiredcola.com/
post #4 of 5

Re: Richmond velodrome BC

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 20:27:10 -0800, tkeats2005@hotmail.com (Tom Keats)
wrote:

>I suspect the race-track-style (as in horse/dog racing) betting
>was possibly what made them so popular. If there was any
>untoward "fixing" of races going on, maybe that's what led to
>their demise? Just an off-hand guess on my part. Maybe people
>just lost interest in bicycles? I dunno. Anyway, those old
>style 6-day races dissipated with the onset of the war years,
>and never really came back.

To a large extent it was killed off by an absolutely insane
competition between two promoters (insane in the business sense), with
a major velodrome going up in flames at a bad moment. The races were
still popular up to the point that the promoters blew things apart and
that velodrome fire was a major issue in not restarting a real series
of racing.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
post #5 of 5

Re: Richmond velodrome BC

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 01:11:57 -0800, tkeats2005@hotmail.com (Tom Keats)
wrote:

>Could you by any chance suggest some on-line sites with
>info about those old six-day races? I'm not asking you
>to go to any trouble, but if you have some URL references
>handy, I'd be most grateful. I'm most intrigued by, and
>interested in that topic. I've tried Google searches, but
>so far ... no soap. Not very much, anyway. Sometimes it
>almost seems like there's a conspiracy to suppress that
>information.

Mos of my stuff is in books, maybe 50-60 books accumulated over the
years. I'll check to get some titles, but I'm between home services
right now and it may be a few days. The comcast was shut down last
Sunday and the Verizon starts next Monday...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: