Re: Trek and Cannondale recumbents

Tom Sherman

Guest
Edward Dolan wrote:
> There is no such thing as a "serious" bike market. What planet do you live
> on? Almost everyone in the world thinks of a bike as a toy for kids. Please
> get real!...

Actually, worldwide, most bicycles are ridden for transportation
purposes. It is only in the countries where most use motorized
individual transportation that bicycles are viewed primarily as toys.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Tom Sherman wrote:

> Actually, worldwide, most bicycles are ridden for transportation
> purposes. It is only in the countries where most use motorized
> individual transportation that bicycles are viewed primarily as toys.

Worldwide, the most popular style by far is like this new one from World
Bicycle Relief:
http://www.worldbicyclerelief.org/_images/galleries/zambiajune2007/large/0607_modified.jpg
or these classic Flying Pigeons (a good article on the history of the
Flying Pigeon, by the way)
http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6610,s1-3-12-15416-1,00.html
An upscale version is made by Pashley
http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/roadster-sovereign.html

Any color you want, as long as it's black.
Heavy but sturdy. Often double top tube for added strength and to support
loads.
Rack suitable for holding another person, a couple of milk cans or fuel
tanks, etc.
One gear
Fenders
Often rod brakes (not on this bike).
Kickstand
Chain cage to protect your pants
I'm sure there's a term to describe this handlebar style, but I don't know
it.

For what these bikes are used for, this is an eminently practical design.

"ZBicyclist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>>
>> Actually, worldwide, most bicycles are ridden for transportation
>> purposes. It is only in the countries where most use motorized
>> individual transportation that bicycles are viewed primarily as toys.

> Worldwide, the most popular style by far is like this new one from World
> Bicycle Relief:
> http://www.worldbicyclerelief.org/_images/galleries/zambiajune2007/large/0607_modified.jpg
> or these classic Flying Pigeons (a good article on the history of the
> Flying Pigeon, by the way)
> http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6610,s1-3-12-15416-1,00.html
> An upscale version is made by Pashley
> http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/roadster-sovereign.html
>
> Any color you want, as long as it's black.
> Heavy but sturdy. Often double top tube for added strength and to support
> loads.
> Rack suitable for holding another person, a couple of milk cans or fuel
> tanks, etc.
> One gear
> Fenders
> Often rod brakes (not on this bike).
> Kickstand
> Chain cage to protect your pants
> I'm sure there's a term to describe this handlebar style, but I don't know
> it.
>
> For what these bikes are used for, this is an eminently practical design.

Thanks for the interesting links. Naturally I would go for the Pashley
Gov'nor.

ZBicyclist wrote:

> I'm sure there's a term to describe this handlebar style, but I don't know
> it.

"Moustache bars" is one I've seen quite a bit.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

ZBicyclist aka Mike Kruger wrote:
> An upscale version is made by Pashley
> http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/roadster-sovereign.html
> I'm sure there's a term to describe this handlebar style, but I don't know
> it....

North Road Bars. Now available in aluminium alloy from Nitto:
<http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/three.html>.