See-behind-your-head-a-scope

POHB

Guest
http://www.cerevellum.com/

"Hindsight allows for the cyclist clearly see what is behind them
without turning to look or using awkward clip-on mirrors". Using an
awkward clip-on display, until the batteries run out. "So good" that
you can even make out how close the car behind is.

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007, POHB <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://www.cerevellum.com/
>
> "Hindsight allows for the cyclist clearly see what is behind them
> without turning to look or using awkward clip-on mirrors". Using an
> awkward clip-on display, until the batteries run out. "So good" that
> you can even make out how close the car behind is.

The marketing section of the site is even 'better'.

To assess the potential market, they take the number of americans who
ride a bicycle more than 6 times a month ('enthusiast cyclists'), add
it to the number of cyclists who earn more than $50k, add that to all
the USCF registered riders, add that to all the female riders, and add
that to all the cyclists who use their bike for commuting.

In this way, they conclude that 20% of the population of the USA will
buy it.

Presumably the female registered riders who ride more than 6 times a
month and cycle to work where they earn more the $50k pa will buy six
of them.

Anticipated pricing is $300 for the head unit with no measurement
capability. Basic cyclecomputer functions (distance, speed) will need
an add-on module costing $60. That's $360 for a basic cyclecomputer.
The web site is confident, however, that "the pricing falls in line
with many similar computers" (just after concluding that there are no
similar computers).

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

POHB wrote:
> http://www.cerevellum.com/
>
> "Hindsight allows for the cyclist clearly see what is behind them
> without turning to look or using awkward clip-on mirrors". Using an
> awkward clip-on display, until the batteries run out. "So good" that
> you can even make out how close the car behind is.

I like the concept, however it is just another highly nickable gadget on
the bike taking up precious handle bar space.

The thing does not look anywhere near water proof, what with all those
USB looking sockets at the back.

The internal battery lasts 4 hours at most, looks like its a recharge
ever day job. People like me would keep forgetting, or charging it and
leaving the unit at home.

The main function of this, is videoing what is going on behind you, yet
it does not store the video, I think that facility would be a major
bonus. (As someone who cycles with a camera). IT would also be great if
it had a front viewing camera as well.
I would also like to see the thing in action in poor light, and at
night, to see what the image was like.

POHB wrote:

> http://www.cerevellum.com/

> "Hindsight allows for the cyclist clearly see what is behind them
> without turning to look or using awkward clip-on mirrors". Using an
> awkward clip-on display, until the batteries run out. "So good" that
> you can even make out how close the car behind is.

They used to be advertised inside the back cover of various boys'
comics in the fifties, but under the fondly-remembered name "the
Seebackroscope".

Did they show the rear image upside down, or something?

">
>> "Hindsight allows for the cyclist clearly see what is behind them
>> without turning to look or using awkward clip-on mirrors". Using an
>> awkward clip-on display, until the batteries run out. "So good" that
>> you can even make out how close the car behind is.

> They used to be advertised inside the back cover of various boys' comics
> in the fifties, but under the fondly-remembered name "the Seebackroscope".
>
> Did they show the rear image upside down, or something?

For me it comes into the category of gadget-like the mileometer/speedo.
I used to fit gadgets to my trike-now after thousands of miles nothing
electrical goes on it except a back light.
My front light goes on my helmet-no I do not wear it because its safe-it
keeps the sun and rain off and is an excellent light mount.
For rear view I use a bike spoke clipped on to my plastic glasses-hit in the
eye twice by car fired debris.
The other end is screwed-using the spoke thread-into a Halfords car mirror
insert for blind spots roughly 1 inch x 11/2[cost £3].
Takes a few days to get your eye in then its plain sailing.
Tam