weight on seat problem

dtecum

Guest
Help me! I am a problem keeping my weight on the seat. When I ride the
uni my legs muscles tense up, producung a "herky-jerky" motion on the
pedals so naturally I fall off. My legs are exhausted. For some bizarre
reason I keep very little weight on the seat. I am 5'11" weigh 230 lbs
and learning on a 20" sun uni. I also have a sun 24" uni.

--
dtecum
http://www.usenet.com

I don't know if it'll work, but you could try putting the seat up a bit
so your legs are more outstretched and you're less inclined to put
weight on the pedals.

You could also try to practice just sitting still on the unicycle as if
it were a seat, holding onto a rail or something. Then try and move the
pedals a bit, forwards and backwards to get used to it, keeping your
back upright and weight on the saddle.

If I confused you (as I know I confused myself), just prasctice. You
_will_get it eventually if you persevere and practice.

--
jamessd

My videos:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WpBvnO6wVG0#GU5U2spHI_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xkZLQzvf2g
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mtnedg1YS8c
Add me: [email protected]
http://www.usenet.com

I wrote similar advices in 'this thread'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66241), but gave you
can find something useful there.

--
hansc
http://www.usenet.com

I would say just keep practicing. It's something that just comes with
practice.

--
cathwood

Cathy
http://www.usenet.com

I had the same problem when I started (and still do, some). How long
have you been riding?

I've been riding (well, learning to ride) for about a month and a half
and am just now at the point where I'm able to ride comfortably for
several minutes at a time. I still do tense up pretty regularly, but
I'm getting better at letting my weight down as I cruise and feeling a
much lighter touch on the pedals. But still I forget and tense up
again.

I also had the tense leg thing, but it has gotten much better for me
after about a month of practicing for a few minutes almost every day.
Maybe this is a combination of building leg strength as well as
learning to relax more weight on the seat.

But as I relax weight onto the seat, it seems that the balance changes
a slight amount, making the "weight-down balance" a new thing to get
used to, but it slowly does seem to be coming to me after enough time
on the thing.

Raising the seat seemed to help. Funny thing, though - with the seat
really low, I was able to freemount maybe one try out of five, but with
the seat high, I cruise better but my efforts at freemounting fail
miserably every single time.

I suspect there's nothing special to do for this except practice, like
so many people say.

David

--
davidb
http://www.usenet.com

davidb wrote:

> I suspect there's nothing special to do for this except practice, like
> so many people say.
>
> David

Raising the seat as you suggest is a good idea. I'm also wondering if
the Sun seat is part of the problem. This past year I've tried a
Savage, Sun, Torker, and KH seat. The Savage was the MOST
uncomfortable but the Sun is so difficult for me to use. I have
absolutely no control so the only way I can ride it is to put weight on
the pedals.

Savage seats and Sun seats.. if these were the only choices, I don't
think I would have stuck with unicycling this time.

--
Unibugg

http://www.usenet.com

Unibugg wrote:
> Raising the seat as you suggest is a good idea. I'm also wondering if
> the Sun seat is part of the problem. This past year I've tried a
> Savage, Sun, Torker, and KH seat. The Savage was the MOST
> uncomfortable but the Sun is so difficult for me to use. I have
> absolutely no control so the only way I can ride it is to put weight on
> the pedals.
>
> Savage seats and Sun seats.. if these were the only choices, I don't
> think I would have stuck with unicycling this time.

Thats weird, you should be riding the sun seat just fine. I can. The
sun seat is actually really good for SIF. Sun also makes seats like the
DX/old KH, so they arent too bad.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)
http://www.usenet.com

davidb wrote:
> I had the same problem when I started (and still do, some). How long
> have you been riding?

> Funny thing, though - with the seat really low, I was able to freemount
> maybe one try out of five, but with the seat high, I cruise better but
> my efforts at freemounting fail miserably every single time.
>
> I suspect there's nothing special to do for this except practice, like
> so many people say.
>
> David

Having been there, I say for you lower your seat and nail the free
mount thing it will also let you to move your hips better as you know
unicycling has a lot to do with the hips.

Also, Yes, Practice is key! As you more time in the saddle, the your
contention level drops and as you relax you will put your weight in the
seat.

--
xtor
http://www.usenet.com

You prob have the seat too low, so raise it an inch and try that for a
while. When I was learning I just constantly reminded myself to put
most of my weight on the seat and very light pressure on the pedals.

A tall seat hight will make it harder to mount. I'd keep practicing
until you can ride around your neighborhood for an hour w/o breaks,
lots of UPD's, or getting exhausted, using street signs and cars for
mounting. When you can do this lower your seat to an ideal height for
freemounting, now it should be much easier for you to keep your weight
in the saddle.

Don't worry if it takes you a long time to freemount. Do to some
paralysis, I still can't. I haven't let that keep me from doing some
fairly technical Muni. I did 9.5 miles on Saturday.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.
Bob Bernquist on how to improve significantly.

http://www.usenet.com