most bicycle taillights are unusable junk

Squat'n Dive

Guest
Fizik taillight came in:
CR2032 battery, $20 and no shock sensor!!! That is just a light mind
you.
I think i paid around $25 for the whole Bell gell seat and the
integrated taillight shuts off after a few
minutes if you forgot to turn it off by itself. I wish i still can get
that seat somewhere
instead of paying an arm an leg for some overpriced garbage.

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Squat'n Dive" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Fizik taillight came in:
> CR2032 battery, $20 and no shock sensor!!! That is just a light mind
> you.
> I think i paid around $25 for the whole Bell gell seat and the
> integrated taillight shuts off after a few
> minutes if you forgot to turn it off by itself. I wish i still can get
> that seat somewhere
> instead of paying an arm an leg for some overpriced garbage.

?!?!?

<http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524
441774555&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302692895&bmUID=1198804838183>

At C$7, that's the light that's too expensive for me to bother with. I
get the one that uses AAA batteries and costs $3.75. I buy about one a
year, and try to have two lit up (one on the helmet, one on the
seatpost) at any one time, because redundancy is good.

Here is a similar product for US$5, shipped anywhere in the world. I
have used this company before, and despite the ridiculous-looking site,
every order has arrived, shipped via regular mail, a few weeks after
ordering. Some of their lights have proven to be hopeless knock-offs of
other designs, unusable even out of the box. But it's pretty hard to
screw up a basic 5-LED taillight. I'd order one, test it, and order more
if it works out. Also, this one, unlike the MEC unit above, doesn't
include batteries.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

"Squat'n Dive" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Fizik taillight came in:
> CR2032 battery, $20 and no shock sensor!!! That is just a light mind
> you.
> I think i paid around $25 for the whole Bell gell seat and the
> integrated taillight shuts off after a few
> minutes if you forgot to turn it off by itself. I wish i still can get
> that seat somewhere
> instead of paying an arm an leg for some overpriced garbage.

I am willing to pay more than $25, to be sure cars see me:

http://www.dinottelighting.com/Photography.htm

J.

On Dec 27, 11:35 pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am willing to pay more than $25, to be sure cars see me:
>
> http://www.dinottelighting.com/Photography.htm

I'm willing to check out my bike at night, by observing what it looks
like when its taillight is on.

AFAIK, I've _never_ been in a situation where a very ordinary
taillight was not adequate. In fact, I've gotten several spontaneous
compliments on my lights and reflectors. I've satisfied my wife and
family that I'm extremely visible. And I've never gotten any remarks
from anyone that I was the least bit hard to spot.

It's just not that bad out there!

- Frank Krygowski

> On Dec 27, 11:35 pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>> I am willing to pay more than $25, to be sure cars see me:
>>
>> http://www.dinottelighting.com/Photography.htm

> I'm willing to check out my bike at night, by observing what it looks
> like when its taillight is on.
>
> AFAIK, I've _never_ been in a situation where a very ordinary
> taillight was not adequate. In fact, I've gotten several spontaneous
> compliments on my lights and reflectors. I've satisfied my wife and
> family that I'm extremely visible. And I've never gotten any remarks
> from anyone that I was the least bit hard to spot.
>
> It's just not that bad out there!
>
> - Frank Krygowski

You are right, any taillight will make you visible to cars at night.

I pay extra for bright head and taillights, to make me visible in bad
weather, overcast days, twilight, etc. My city commute involves very busy
streets with plenty of distractions. My DiNotte lights are bright enough to
stand out from the clutter. They are not simply noticed - they are so bright
and unusual they command attention. Especially the taillight in flash mode.

Bikes in Chicago's winter are an unusual sight for drivers. I feel I need
all the visibility help I can get. If I get hit, it will not be because I
was not very visible with puny lights.

Paranoid J.

On Dec 28, 8:17 am, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > On Dec 27, 11:35 pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> I am willing to pay more than $25, to be sure cars see me:

> >>http://www.dinottelighting.com/Photography.htm

> > I'm willing to check out my bike at night, by observing what it looks
> > like when its taillight is on.

> > AFAIK, I've _never_ been in a situation where a very ordinary
> > taillight was not adequate. In fact, I've gotten several spontaneous
> > compliments on my lights and reflectors. I've satisfied my wife and
> > family that I'm extremely visible. And I've never gotten any remarks
> > from anyone that I was the least bit hard to spot.

> > It's just not that bad out there!

> > - Frank Krygowski

> You are right, any taillight will make you visible to cars at night.
>
> I pay extra for bright head and taillights, to make me visible in bad
> weather, overcast days, twilight, etc. My city commute involves very busy
> streets with plenty of distractions. My DiNotte lights are bright enough to
> stand out from the clutter. They are not simply noticed - they are so bright
> and unusual they command attention. Especially the taillight in flash mode.
>
> Bikes in Chicago's winter are an unusual sight for drivers. I feel I need
> all the visibility help I can get. If I get hit, it will not be because I
> was not very visible with puny lights.
>
> Paranoid J.

I usually put velcro on my helmet and on the back of two flashing red
tail lights. Then I velcro the taillights to my helmet. I look like a
Christmas tree, or an ambulance. I am really visible. Kids scream at
me out of cars telling me how cool I look. Car go around me thinking
that I am an ambulance or a cop. I usually buy my taillights in the
bicyle section of a superstore like target, walmart or kmart. I will
also attach another taillight to the saddle bag, or to my jersey. I
know that I am really visible. I usually put the helmet on top of a
car and then walk really far. I can see the flashing lights from far
away.

I have a good handle about making myself really visible for little
money. My problem is with the headlights.

Andres

Squat'n Dive wrote:
> Fizik taillight came in:
> CR2032 battery, $20 and no shock sensor!!! That is just a light mind
> you.
> I think i paid around $25 for the whole Bell gell seat and the
> integrated taillight shuts off after a few
> minutes if you forgot to turn it off by itself. I wish i still can get
> that seat somewhere
> instead of paying an arm an leg for some overpriced garbage.

The Fizik light is really just a gimmick, it's a very poor tail light,
but it fits into their saddle.

The best tail light is probably the CatEye TL-LD1100, but it's not cheap
at around $30.

The Blackburn® Mars 3.0 Rear Light is also good, and it's about $14.

Whatever you get, ensure that it has side pointing LEDs as well as rear
pointing LEDs.

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 01:25:35 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> may
have said:

>Here is a similar product for US$5, shipped anywhere in the world.

I think you forgot the link.

> > I pay extra for bright head and taillights, to make me visible in bad
> > weather, overcast days, twilight, etc. My city commute involves very busy
> > streets with plenty of distractions. My DiNotte lights are bright enough to
> > stand out from the clutter. They are not simply noticed - they are so bright
> > and unusual they command attention. Especially the taillight in flash mode.

i'm sure they are. but i've supplied jose with a few $20 taillights in
my riding
career and i'm not anxious to supply them with a $260 light. for some
reason
headlights don't get stolen as readily. not that i mind.

> > Bikes in Chicago's winter are an unusual sight for drivers. I feel I need
> > all the visibility help I can get. If I get hit, it will not be because I
> > was not very visible with puny lights.

> > Paranoid J.

> I usually put velcro on my helmet and on the back of two flashing red
> tail lights. Then I velcro the taillights to my helmet. I look like a
> Christmas tree, or an ambulance. I am really visible. Kids scream at
> me out of cars telling me how cool I look. Car go around me thinking
> that I am an ambulance or a cop. I usually buy my taillights in the
> bicyle section of a superstore like target, walmart or kmart. I will
> also attach another taillight to the saddle bag, or to my jersey. I
> know that I am really visible. I usually put the helmet on top of a

and constantly turning on/off all your ornaments does not drive you
nuts (yet)?

> car and then walk really far. I can see the flashing lights from far
> away.
>
> I have a good handle about making myself really visible for little
> money. My problem is with the headlights.

I have zero problem with headlights. A $110 light and magic
works well for me and i won't be too terribly upset if it gets stolen
one day
given that i already got a pretty good use of it.
Taillights are another story. I have two already and i have to
sequentially
press the one i got 4 times to get it into the flashing mode i want
and 2 more times to shut it off when i get off.
the saddle light is just on/off.
You see, i'm lazy and turning two headlights and two taillights (three
if i get a helmet taillight per advice here) is just way too much
hassle for daily riding
(i have 4 legs mon-fri: one to work, one to lunch, one from lunch and
another back home
and a varying number of rides on weekends). after a while all this
prep
is getting on my nerves. a simple shock sensor in those detachable
lights
just like in the Bell saddle would have solved the problem: the light
does not
move for a few minutes: it better shut itself off.

I guess i really need to pay my dues for a generator hub and solve
this problem
once and for all. I have less and less of an inclination to give any
money to the poorly
thought out addons that are time consuming to use.

i assume with a hub generator there is at most one switch to flip.
is that correct?

On Dec 28, 10:01 am, SMS $B;[h\J8(B* $B2F(B <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squat'n Dive wrote:
> > Fizik taillight came in:
> > CR2032 battery, $20 and no shock sensor!!! That is just a light mind
> > you.
> > I think i paid around $25 for the whole Bell gell seat and the
> > integrated taillight shuts off after a few
> > minutes if you forgot to turn it off by itself. I wish i still can get
> > that seat somewhere
> > instead of paying an arm an leg for some overpriced garbage.

> The Fizik light is really just a gimmick, it's a very poor tail light,
> but it fits into their saddle.
>
> The best tail light is probably the CatEye TL-LD1100, but it's not cheap
> at around $30.
>
> The Blackburn(R) Mars 3.0 Rear Light is also good, and it's about $14.
>
> Whatever you get, ensure that it has side pointing LEDs as well as rear
> pointing LEDs.

Once on tour with no lights I found myself riding after dark. I
bungeed a flashlight to the left pannier pointed at the ground. It
was quite bright and lit up a big spot on the ground and cars gave me
lots of room as they passed. So, if you want to be more visible,
consider illuminating the ground beneath you.

-dkl

[email protected] wrote:
> On Dec 28, 10:01 am, SMS 斯蒂文* 夏 <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Squat'n Dive wrote:
>>> Fizik taillight came in:
>>> CR2032 battery, $20 and no shock sensor!!! That is just a light mind
>>> you.
>>> I think i paid around $25 for the whole Bell gell seat and the
>>> integrated taillight shuts off after a few
>>> minutes if you forgot to turn it off by itself. I wish i still can get
>>> that seat somewhere
>>> instead of paying an arm an leg for some overpriced garbage.

>> The Fizik light is really just a gimmick, it's a very poor tail light,
>> but it fits into their saddle.
>>
>> The best tail light is probably the CatEye TL-LD1100, but it's not cheap
>> at around $30.
>>
>> The Blackburn(R) Mars 3.0 Rear Light is also good, and it's about $14.
>>
>> Whatever you get, ensure that it has side pointing LEDs as well as rear
>> pointing LEDs.

> Once on tour with no lights I found myself riding after dark. I
> bungeed a flashlight to the left pannier pointed at the ground. It
> was quite bright and lit up a big spot on the ground and cars gave me
> lots of room as they passed. So, if you want to be more visible,
> consider illuminating the ground beneath you.

Ironically, some of the best, and most inexpensive bicycle lights
currently available are the Cree LED flashlights, attached to the
handlebars with a dual clamp.

See "http://nordicgroup.us/s78/flashlights.html".

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:15:37 -0800 (PST), "Squat'n Dive"
<[email protected]> may have said:

>Fizik taillight came in:
>CR2032 battery, $20 and no shock sensor!!! That is just a light mind
>you.
>I think i paid around $25 for the whole Bell gell seat and the
>integrated taillight shuts off after a few
>minutes if you forgot to turn it off by itself. I wish i still can get
>that seat somewhere
>instead of paying an arm an leg for some overpriced garbage.

I'd be delighted (or perhaps better-lighted) if the damnthings came
with an internal selector of some sort that allowed me to simply
decide *once* which mode I wanted it to operate in (be that fast
flash, slow flash, constant or whatever) and then simply toggle off
and on with the external pushbutton. It's the multiple switch pulses
to achieve the task which annoy me. Yes, it's nice that they give me
a choice of ways that the device can work. No, it's NOT nice that I
have to make that choice *every damn time* that I turn it on.

On Dec 28, 2:09 pm, Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'd be delighted (or perhaps better-lighted) if the damnthings came
> with an internal selector of some sort that allowed me to simply
> decide *once* which mode I wanted it to operate in (be that fast
> flash, slow flash, constant or whatever) and then simply toggle off
> and on with the external pushbutton.

I'd be next in line to buy one.

That said, the new Cateye LD610 has a press-and-hold to turn off, so
at least the 'off' motion is consistant. And it appears to be very
light and very bright. Four modes, reasonable mount, about $15 on the
street.

On Dec 28, 12:01 pm, SMS ˹µÙÎÄ* ÏÄ <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squat'n Dive wrote:
> > Fizik taillight came in:
> > CR2032 battery, $20 and no shock sensor!!! That is just a light mind
> > you.
> > I think i paid around $25 for the whole Bell gell seat and the
> > integrated taillight shuts off after a few
> > minutes if you forgot to turn it off by itself. I wish i still can get
> > that seat somewhere
> > instead of paying an arm an leg for some overpriced garbage.

> The Fizik light is really just a gimmick, it's a very poor tail light,
> but it fits into their saddle.
>
> The best tail light is probably the CatEye TL-LD1100, but it's not cheap
> at around $30.

$30 and no automatic shut off. plus i have to cycle thru 4 modes to
switch it off.
isn't that amazing?

> The Blackburn(R) Mars 3.0 Rear Light is also good, and it's about $14.

it needs a jeweler's screwdriver to change batteries?!?????
why i'm not surprised, i spent considerable amount of time trying to
pluck
the two AAs from the bottom compartment of my cateye front light
last night. ended up using a pair of pliers. i wonder who designs
these
things

> Whatever you get, ensure that it has side pointing LEDs as well as rear
> pointing LEDs.

i see some dynamo/battery dual lights, such as
Busch&M¨¹ller DToplight Senso Multi with has a puny two diodes facing
sideways,
but a battery option is an invitation for a stolen light.
i'm torn between staying el Bell cheapo and getting a dynamo taillight
without a battery backup.

i kinda understand why Lance wannabe crowd in the states does not want
a commuter
lookalike seat with an integrated light but i'm surprised a wide
selection of
taillight seats is not readily available in $6/gallon europe

do i miss something obvious?

On Dec 28, 12:01 pm, SMS ˹µÙÎÄ* ÏÄ <[email protected]> wrote:
> Squat'n Dive wrote:
> > Fizik taillight came in:
> > CR2032 battery, $20 and no shock sensor!!! That is just a light mind
> > you.
> > I think i paid around $25 for the whole Bell gell seat and the
> > integrated taillight shuts off after a few
> > minutes if you forgot to turn it off by itself. I wish i still can get
> > that seat somewhere
> > instead of paying an arm an leg for some overpriced garbage.

> The Fizik light is really just a gimmick, it's a very poor tail light,
> but it fits into their saddle.
>
> The best tail light is probably the CatEye TL-LD1100, but it's not cheap
> at around $30.

$30 and no automatic shut off. plus i have to cycle thru 4 modes to
switch it off.
isn't that amazing?

> The Blackburn(R) Mars 3.0 Rear Light is also good, and it's about $14.

it needs a jeweler's screwdriver to change batteries?!?????
why i'm not surprised, i spent considerable amount of time trying to
pluck
the two AAs from the bottom compartment of my cateye front light
last night. ended up using a pair of pliers. i wonder who designs
these
things

> Whatever you get, ensure that it has side pointing LEDs as well as rear
> pointing LEDs.

i see some dynamo/battery dual lights, such as
Busch&M¨¹ller DToplight Senso Multi with has a puny two diodes facing
sideways,
but a battery option is an invitation for a stolen light.
i'm torn between staying el Bell cheapo and getting a dynamo taillight
without a battery backup.

i kinda understand why Lance wannabe crowd in the states does not want
a commuter
lookalike seat with an integrated light but i'm surprised a wide
selection of
taillight seats is not readily available in $6/gallon europe

do i miss something obvious?

Yes, I think perhaps you have missed something.

$30 USD does not allow for extensive R&D.

Those products are essentially 'shot from the hip'. Marketing says, put it
out there, let's see who bites.

You are asking for high quality, extensive market testing, for a Wal-Mart
price?

Some cheap products work fairly well. Many do not. Roll the dice, take your
chances.

J.

SMS 斯蒂文• 夏 wrote:
> Squat'n Dive wrote:
>> Fizik taillight came in:
>> CR2032 battery, $20 and no shock sensor!!! That is just a light mind
>> you.
>> I think i paid around $25 for the whole Bell gell seat and the
>> integrated taillight shuts off after a few
>> minutes if you forgot to turn it off by itself. I wish i still can get
>> that seat somewhere
>> instead of paying an arm an leg for some overpriced garbage.

> The Fizik light is really just a gimmick, it's a very poor tail light,
> but it fits into their saddle.
>
> The best tail light is probably the CatEye TL-LD1100, but it's not cheap
> at around $30.
>
> The Blackburn® Mars 3.0 Rear Light is also good, and it's about $14.
>
> Whatever you get, ensure that it has side pointing LEDs as well as rear
> pointing LEDs.

Also remember that most LEDS used have fairly narrow beams, so you must
get the alignment right (within a few degrees on some lights) to get max
visibility at a distance.

Martin

--
Removed z before replying by email.

Planet bike has some nice cheap lights with several ways to fasten,
helmet, seatpost, even a headband to use it as a headlamp while camping

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 13:09:40 -0600, Werehatrack
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'd be delighted (or perhaps better-lighted) if the damnthings came
>with an internal selector of some sort that allowed me to simply
>decide *once* which mode I wanted it to operate in (be that fast
>flash, slow flash, constant or whatever) and then simply toggle off
>and on with the external pushbutton. It's the multiple switch pulses
>to achieve the task which annoy me. Yes, it's nice that they give me
>a choice of ways that the device can work. No, it's NOT nice that I
>have to make that choice *every damn time* that I turn it on.

Agreed. Not to mention, if you start home while it's still light, you
almost have to get off the bike when you turn them on (especially if
you have >1 lights) to make sure (a) they're all on, and (b) they're
on the right mode. Did push #2 catch?

Blech.

Email address works as is.

Jay wrote:

> $30 and no automatic shut off. plus i have to cycle thru 4 modes to
> switch it off.
> isn't that amazing?

You don't have to cycle through four modes to shut it off. Read the
instructions. Hint: think about how you can manually shut down a Windows
based computer using the power button.

In article <7ff4c436-72c9-43a1-a581-
[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

> There seems to be a lot of fear of the dark among cyclists. They deal
> with their fear by buying lights as powerful as those on a crotch-
> rocket motorcycle - and, in certain cases, by claiming that nobody
> should cycle at night with less.

I suspect most cyclists are also motorists, and most motorists have at
least once experienced a gut-wrenching last-minute avoidance of a
cyclists with no lights or reflectors. The memory of this terror makes
them aware of the importance of being visible and the fallibility of
motorists, leading many riders to overcompensate. Some overcompensate
by swearing off nighttime riding, others by buying brighter lights than
most cars.

As a motorist, I do worry that some of the bicycle lighting systems on
the market today will increase the overall risk of accidents by glare-
blinding drivers and other cyclists. Bike lights don't have nearly the
regulation of motor vehicle lights, and many ultra-bright bike lights
aim far too much of their light up at eye level.

I've ridden behind a flashing DiNotte light on an unlit trail, and after
a few minutes I decided to pull over and let that rider pull ahead until
I couldn't see him. His tail light was so blinding I couldn't see the
pavement -- it simply wasn't safe to ride behind that light.

--
[email protected] is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>