Resolutions for the New Year?

vernon

Guest
Mine are simple -

* eat less
* move more
* do a 300

I've started today - honest!

Tomorrow I'm planning to ride a 25 mile loop from Reeth to Tan Hill via
Langthwaite and back via Keld and Low Row. It'll be a battle to restrict
myself to just one pint in the Tan Hill ;-)

"vernon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mine are simple -
>
> * eat less
> * move more
> * do a 300
>
> I've started today - honest!
>
> Tomorrow I'm planning to ride a 25 mile loop from Reeth to Tan Hill via
> Langthwaite and back via Keld and Low Row. It'll be a battle to restrict
> myself to just one pint in the Tan Hill ;-)

Find a way of taking 6 month's (unpaid) leave to enjoy cyling and walking
for a while...

Graham

vernon <[email protected]> wrote:

> Mine are simple -
>
> * eat less
> * move more
> * do a 300
>
> I've started today - honest!

I plan to enter my first Audax, to get lots of friends and colleagues to
sponsor me to complete the Lancashire Cycleway over the course of three
or four weekends and to fill <http://longwayround.motionbased.com/> with
fine rides around my local area.

If I can manage to climb some of the local hills at speeds in excess of
4mph then so much the better.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

"vernon" <[email protected]> of wrote:

>Mine are simple -
>
>* eat less
>* move more
>* do a 300
>
>I've started today - honest!

Slightly less simple:
* continue eating less (75 pounds lost last year, 45 more to go)
* continue swimming as well as cycling
* continue the anti-wandering kneecap exercises
* cycle faster
* cycle longer
And if all three are successful, then a 100 mile ride in the summer.

Start made with a 41 mile ride on 1 Jan, which is slightly longer than my
longest ride last year, and at a pace that for me was blisteringly fast -
short fat middle-aged women don't normally do 17 mph even on the flat. I
was very pleased to keep in contact with the group all the time, not always
being at the back. The ride was from South Manchester to Great Budworth.
Here we are outside the church, opposite the pub with me in yellow in the
middle:
http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/cycling/images/gtbud.jpg
Not that it can be seen, but my bike is the blue one immediately behind me.

And for anyone thinking of coming along Chorlton Wanderers as per my
signature, this ride was not a Wanderers ride, much too hard.
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group

In message <[email protected]>
Steph Peters <[email protected]> wrote:

> Start made with a 41 mile ride on 1 Jan, which is slightly longer than my
> longest ride last year, and at a pace that for me was blisteringly fast -
> short fat middle-aged women don't normally do 17 mph even on the flat.

Impressive stuff - so encouraging to this 65 yr old, who made it to
the CTC Beginners' Ride, his first, all of I guess 10 miles on the
Ride, plus 6 miles commute to the start/finish at Nonsuch Park. (This
was on the 30th.)

And of great moment, the Club reps. made me very welcome. I shall try
and get there again. And perhaps try the longer ride...

And there was another Brompton , leading the Ride...

--
Charles
Brompton P6R-Plus; CarryFreedom -YL, in Motspur Park

"Steph Peters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "vernon" <[email protected]> of wrote:
>
>>Mine are simple -
>>
>>* eat less
>>* move more
>>* do a 300
>>
>>I've started today - honest!

> Slightly less simple:
> * continue eating less (75 pounds lost last year, 45 more to go)

Way to go Steph! If I could match this I'd be very happy. Think I'll
embrace this one.

> * continue swimming as well as cycling

I've the boyancy of a brick so I'll shun this one ;-)

> * continue the anti-wandering kneecap exercises

Hope they don't wander too far :)

> * cycle faster

17 mph doesn't sound slow!

> * cycle longer

I'm working on this one....

> And if all three are successful, then a 100 mile ride in the summer.

I'm sure that you'll do it.

I did my first 200km Audax in 2006 - it was a struggle and I'd have failed
to complete it if I'd been doing it alone. Thankfully I had a fellow
cyclist who lied to me when he was telling me how far we had to go when I
wanted to give up 30 km from the end.

"Slark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Mine are simple -
>>
>> * eat less
>> * move more
>> * do a 300
>>
>> I've started today - honest!
>>
>> Tomorrow I'm planning to ride a 25 mile loop from Reeth to Tan Hill via
>> Langthwaite and back via Keld and Low Row. It'll be a battle to restrict
>> myself to just one pint in the Tan Hill ;-)
>>

> Find a way of taking 6 month's (unpaid) leave to enjoy cyling and walking
> for a while...

That would be very nice! My wife would find my absence for six months most
agreeable....

"Ekul Namsob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1ia1dtp.kz8ow16gyd2fN%[email protected]...
> vernon <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Mine are simple -
>>
>> * eat less
>> * move more
>> * do a 300
>>
>> I've started today - honest!

> I plan to enter my first Audax, to get lots of friends and colleagues to
> sponsor me to complete the Lancashire Cycleway over the course of three
> or four weekends and to fill <http://longwayround.motionbased.com/> with
> fine rides around my local area.
>
> If I can manage to climb some of the local hills at speeds in excess of
> 4mph then so much the better.

I like the look of the ride log. I'm too tightfisted to shell out on a
Garmin GPS system so I make do with Map My Ride at www.mapmyride.com which
is a more labour intensive way of getting a similar amount of information
from a Googlemaps mash up.

If I can shed a load of blubber then my hill climbing will improve with
little or no training involved. I found my New Year's Day ride to the Tan
Hill Inn more of a grind than ever. It's an undulating 11 mile climb to the
pub amply compensated for by decent ale and a fast return that's mainly
downhill in the next valley.

[email protected]m of home wrote:

>In message <[email protected]>
> Steph Peters <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Start made with a 41 mile ride on 1 Jan, which is slightly longer than my
>> longest ride last year, and at a pace that for me was blisteringly fast -
>> short fat middle-aged women don't normally do 17 mph even on the flat.

>Impressive stuff - so encouraging to this 65 yr old, who made it to
>the CTC Beginners' Ride, his first, all of I guess 10 miles on the
>Ride, plus 6 miles commute to the start/finish at Nonsuch Park. (This
>was on the 30th.)
>
>And of great moment, the Club reps. made me very welcome. I shall try
>and get there again. And perhaps try the longer ride...

You go for it. Denizens of this news group of long standing will remember
the tales of Audrey and I working our way up from 5 mile rides to the 100km
Manchester ride in 2005. The two hardest of those rides were our first trip
out of just 13 miles, and the 100km itself. Having had a small and then a
major knee problem in 2006 and 2007 I had to more or less begin again to get
fit.

Steph
--

vernon wrote:
> "Steph Peters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "vernon" <[email protected]> of wrote:
>>
>>> Mine are simple -
>>>
>>> * eat less
>>> * move more
>>> * do a 300
>>>
>>> I've started today - honest!

>> Slightly less simple:
>> * continue eating less (75 pounds lost last year, 45 more to go)

> Way to go Steph! If I could match this I'd be very happy. Think I'll
> embrace this one.
>
>> * continue swimming as well as cycling

Lucky you, I can't do either at the moment :-(

> I've the boyancy of a brick so I'll shun this one ;-)

AIUI muscle is denser than fat, so having the buoyancy of a brick is not
a bad thing.

On Jan 3, 9:44 am, Steph Peters <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Having had a small and then a
> major knee problem in 2006 and 2007 I had to more or less begin again to get
> fit.

My wife has a "wandering knee cap" too and really misses cycling
(despite having corrective surgery which did next to nothing).
Assuming it's the same condition, are the exercises you do helpful for
cycling? The physio my wife had seemed great at first, but after
spending loads of money it gradually became clear that recreational
cycling "wasn't his thing" and he wasn't interested in anyone who
wasn't a serious athlete.

Graeme

"Martin Dann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> vernon wrote:
>> "Steph Peters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Slightly less simple:
>>> * continue eating less (75 pounds lost last year, 45 more to go)

>> Way to go Steph! If I could match this I'd be very happy. Think I'll
>> embrace this one.
>>
>>> * continue swimming as well as cycling

> Lucky you, I can't do either at the moment :-(
>

>> I've the boyancy of a brick so I'll shun this one ;-)

> AIUI muscle is denser than fat, so having the buoyancy of a brick is not a
> bad thing.

In which case I'm carrying over seven stones of surplus muscle ;-)

"vernon" <[email protected]> of wrote:
>"Steph Peters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> "vernon" <[email protected]> of wrote:
>>
>>>Mine are simple -
>>>
>>>* eat less
>>>* move more
>>>* do a 300
>>>
>>>I've started today - honest!

>> Slightly less simple:
>> * continue eating less (75 pounds lost last year, 45 more to go)

>Way to go Steph! If I could match this I'd be very happy. Think I'll
>embrace this one.

Takes a lot more discipline and effort than the cycling.

>> * continue swimming as well as cycling>

>I've the boyancy of a brick so I'll shun this one ;-)

That surprises me. Being fairly blubbery, I'm as bouyant as hell, needed
twice as many weights as anyone else to stay underwater when scuba diving. I
took up swimming again because it was the least painful thing to do when the
knees were at their worst. Signed up for lessons and have gone from not
being able to do front crawl to doing it as long as I like, speeded up by
about 25%, almost trebled the distance I swim and can even manage one width
of butterfly stroke.

>> * continue the anti-wandering kneecap exercises

>Hope they don't wander too far :-

They did, but they are now back in line, and I know how to keep them there.

>> * cycle faster

>17 mph doesn't sound slow!

That counts as faster, a lot faster. I generally pootle along under 10 mph.

>> * cycle longer

>I'm working on this one....
>
>> And if all three are successful, then a 100 mile ride in the summer.
>>

>I'm sure that you'll do it.

I've done it before, so I know what it takes, and I'm confident I can build
up to it. Will have to find a good ride to do though - I suspect the
Manchester 100 (miles) would want to sweep me up into the van for being too
slow. I need 12 hours including meal breaks.

>I did my first 200km Audax in 2006 - it was a struggle and I'd have failed
>to complete it if I'd been doing it alone. Thankfully I had a fellow
>cyclist who lied to me when he was telling me how far we had to go when I
>wanted to give up 30 km from the end.

Yes, I need company too. And I'll have to find a local club to build up some
distance with, at a bit faster pace than the Wanderers.

Steph
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group
Monthly slow and easy rides from South Manchester
http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/cycling/chwan.htm

In news:kaj*[email protected],
David Damerell <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine
to tell us:
> Quoting vernon <[email protected]>:
>> Mine are simple -
>> * eat less
>> * move more
>> * do a 300

> s/300/200/; - Chalfont St Peter on the 26th, anyone?

I expect so. Not much choice for a calendar 200 this month :-(

--
Dave Larrington
Ernesto, give me that Kit-Kat, or I will kill you.

"Steph Peters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Slightly less simple:
> * continue eating less (75 pounds lost last year, 45 more to go)
> * continue swimming as well as cycling
> * continue the anti-wandering kneecap exercises
> * cycle faster
> * cycle longer
> And if all three are successful, then a 100 mile ride in the summer.

Well done you on the weight loss. I'm currently standing at over 80lbs lost
since mid-Feb 07 and only have a few more to go. I don't make resolutions,
but it is my plan to keep up with the cycling - pootling distances (up to
200km) and to do some 10-mile time trials. The TTs are simply as an
alternative to a gym workout as I *loathe* the gym, and half-an-hour or so
working hard (for me) on the bike should be a similar level of activity to a
gym session. Indeed I did my first ever proper TT on New Year's Day doing a
32:32 for the ten, and I'm happy with that, as I'm under no illusion about
my (lack of) fast cycling ability! Have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed doing
the TT, as it was a friendly event and I was even being shouted enouragement
by those along the route and at the end, even some of the fast boys
congratulated me and offered advice on how to improve my times. Friendly
bunch :)

"Steph Peters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected]m of home wrote:
>
>>In message <[email protected]>
>> Steph Peters <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Start made with a 41 mile ride on 1 Jan, which is slightly longer than
>>> my
>>> longest ride last year, and at a pace that for me was blisteringly
>>> fast -
>>> short fat middle-aged women don't normally do 17 mph even on the flat.

>>Impressive stuff - so encouraging to this 65 yr old, who made it to
>>the CTC Beginners' Ride, his first, all of I guess 10 miles on the
>>Ride, plus 6 miles commute to the start/finish at Nonsuch Park. (This
>>was on the 30th.)
>>
>>And of great moment, the Club reps. made me very welcome. I shall try
>>and get there again. And perhaps try the longer ride...

> You go for it. Denizens of this news group of long standing will remember
> the tales of Audrey and I working our way up from 5 mile rides to the
> 100km
> Manchester ride in 2005. The two hardest of those rides were our first
> trip
> out of just 13 miles, and the 100km itself. Having had a small and then a
> major knee problem in 2006 and 2007 I had to more or less begin again to
> get
> fit.

I remember it well.

I also remember how, the first time I got back on the bike after *years* off
it, I couldn't cycle the 5 miles into town without getting off for a
breather a couple of times.

So keep at it!

In news:[email protected],
wafflycat <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
tell us:
> Well done you on the weight loss. I'm currently standing at over
> 80lbs lost since mid-Feb 07 and only have a few more to go. I don't
> make resolutions, but it is my plan to keep up with the cycling -
> pootling distances (up to 200km)

Then you will surely be doing the Old Squit 200 on Feb 9th :)

--
Dave Larrington
Pepperoni and green peppers, mushrooms, olives, chives!

> In news:[email protected],
> wafflycat <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
> tell us:
>> Well done you on the weight loss. I'm currently standing at over
>> 80lbs lost since mid-Feb 07 and only have a few more to go. I don't
>> make resolutions, but it is my plan to keep up with the cycling -
>> pootling distances (up to 200km)

> Then you will surely be doing the Old Squit 200 on Feb 9th :)

One is planning to :)

On 2 Jan, 18:28, David Damerell <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Quoting vernon <[email protected]>:
>
> >Mine are simple -
> >* eat less
> >* move more
> >* do a 300

> s/300/200/; - Chalfont St Peter on the 26th, anyone?

Yup, on fixed too (possibly going for a Fixed SR).

-Alex