tilting saddle

Does your beloved refuse to ride with you, complaining that the horrid
bicycle seat disarranges her skirts?

Relief is at hand! The Overman Wheel Company has a solution that will
have her springing into the saddle with a hearty Hi-Yo, Silver, Away!

"'The Victoria tilting saddle on our lady's wheel has made a great
hit,' said Manager W.C. Overman at 23 Warren Street yesterday. "In
mounting a stationary saddle a lady must spring into place, and always
disarranges her skirts. The Victoria saddle accommodates itself to the
motion of the ride as she mounts, and not only enables her to mount
more easily, but much more gracefully.'"

--NYT April 14, 1895

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9E0DE5DB133DE433A25757C1A9629C94649ED7CF

How, you ask eagerly, does the Victoria tilting saddle work?
http://i9.tinypic.com/8evbeht.jpg

Bow-tie and mortar-board helmet optional.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
> Does your beloved refuse to ride with you, complaining that the horrid
> bicycle seat disarranges her skirts?
>
> Relief is at hand! The Overman Wheel Company has a solution that will
> have her springing into the saddle with a hearty Hi-Yo, Silver, Away!
>
> "'The Victoria tilting saddle on our lady's wheel has made a great
> hit,' said Manager W.C. Overman at 23 Warren Street yesterday. "In
> mounting a stationary saddle a lady must spring into place, and always
> disarranges her skirts. The Victoria saddle accommodates itself to the
> motion of the ride as she mounts, and not only enables her to mount
> more easily, but much more gracefully.'"
>
> --NYT April 14, 1895
>
> http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9E0DE5DB133DE433A25757C1A9629C94649ED7CF
>
> How, you ask eagerly, does the Victoria tilting saddle work?
> http://i9.tinypic.com/8evbeht.jpg
>
> Bow-tie and mortar-board helmet optional.

Panasonic has a current model city bike series with a saddle which tips
up vertically when the lock is engaged. The other end of the mechanism
drops the kickstand.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Dec 31 2007, 9:16 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> --NYT April 14, 1895
>
> http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9E0DE5DB133DE433A25...

That other article, "Canadian Cyclists Adopt Class System", reminds me
that I see the "Dunlop Cup", a monster of a trophy for Canadian
bicycle racing, on a regular basis. It's about 6 feet high and adorned
with wheels, cycles, and angels. It appears to have been retired in
about 1930, if I recall, and lives at the Royal Canadian Curling Club,
which was a cycling club as well back in the day.

Would you happen to have any leads to articles mentioning it, Carl?

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 16:02:00 -0800 (PST), Brian Huntley
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Dec 31 2007, 9:16 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> --NYT April 14, 1895
>>
>> http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9E0DE5DB133DE433A25...
>>

>That other article, "Canadian Cyclists Adopt Class System", reminds me
>that I see the "Dunlop Cup", a monster of a trophy for Canadian
>bicycle racing, on a regular basis. It's about 6 feet high and adorned
>with wheels, cycles, and angels. It appears to have been retired in
>about 1930, if I recall, and lives at the Royal Canadian Curling Club,
>which was a cycling club as well back in the day.
>
>Would you happen to have any leads to articles mentioning it, Carl?

Dear Brian,

It was common for turn-of-the-century cycling clubs to be enthusiastic
about bowling leagues, baseball, curling, rowing, and other unrelated
sports:

"The bowling club of the Brooklyn Bicycle Club meets every Thursday
evening at Carruther's Alleys on Fulton Street."
--NYT November 9, 1893

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archiv...D153EEF33A2575AC0A9679D94629ED7CF&oref=slogin

Look for dunlop trophy instead of dunlop cup:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&q="dunlop+trophy"+cycling+canada&btnG=Search

The RCCC last won the Dunlop Trophy in 1902:
http://www.rccc.on.ca/championships.htm#generalsports

"The eight Toronto clubs, with membership in the 500-600 range, built
a racetrack with a high-quality clay, cinder, and brick surface in
prestigious Rosedale. The track allowed the clubs to host the 1892
annual meet of the Canadian Wheelmen's Association. These types of
outdoor events drew large crowds and produced many competitors. The
Dunlop Trophy Race, launched in 1894, ran for more than 30 years. In
1899, Montreal proudly hosted the World Cycling Championships."
http://www.legionmagazine.com/features/canadianreflections/06-09.asp

"The Canadian Cycling Association was founded as the Canadian
Wheelmen's Association in 1882. Dr. Percy E. Doolittle of Aylmer,
Ontario was one of the founding members and a champion racer in his
own right. Louis Rubenstein, the world champion figure skater and
supporter of many amateur sports, was one of the early presidents of
C.W.A. The association has sanctioned riders and races, most notably
the Dunlop Trophy Race from 1894 to 1926."

http://www.archivescanada.ca/englis...6&l=0&lvl=2&v=0&coll=1&itm=182205&rt=1&bill=1

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Dec 31 2007, 7:16 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Does your beloved refuse to ride with you, complaining that the horrid
> bicycle seat disarranges her skirts?
>
> Relief is at hand! The Overman Wheel Company has a solution that will
> have her springing into the saddle with a hearty Hi-Yo, Silver, Away!
>
> "'The Victoriatiltingsaddle on our lady's wheel has made a great
> hit,' said Manager W.C. Overman at 23 Warren Street yesterday. "In
> mounting a stationary saddle a lady must spring into place, and always
> disarranges her skirts. The Victoria saddle accommodates itself to the
> motion of the ride as she mounts, and not only enables her to mount
> more easily, but much more gracefully.'"
>
> --NYT April 14, 1895
>
> http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9E0DE5DB133DE433A25...
>
> How, you ask eagerly, does the Victoriatiltingsaddle work?
>  http://i9.tinypic.com/8evbeht.jpg
>
> Bow-tie and mortar-board helmet optional.
>
> Cheers,
>
> CarlFogel

Aha! The patent:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=ppRbAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=533300