Anyone use Bicygnals? saw these in Selfridges.

spindrift

Guest
http://www.cyclesurgery.com/Product...ID/171/v/620d8f4b-ce63-433f-9fff-b572c7281194

I'm not sure i see the point, especially for £45!

You'd be a lot more visible but so few cyclists use them it would just
confuse drivers, I think. A straight arm and glance back would be
safer, as far as I can see.

It's quite wide too- they had one fitted to a bike in the Cycle
Surgery on the first floor.

Complies with Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations
Front Switches Control Front and Rear Indicators
Wirefree Communication
5 Super Bright White LED’s Head Light
3 Super Bright Red LED’s Rear Light
Flashing and Non-Flashing Lighting Modes
8 Super Bright Orange LED’s Front Indicators
6 Super Bright Orange LED’s Rear Indicators

http://tinyurl.com/2z63ck

spindrift wrote:
> http://www.cyclesurgery.com/Product...ID/171/v/620d8f4b-ce63-433f-9fff-b572c7281194
>
> I'm not sure i see the point, especially for £45!
>
> You'd be a lot more visible but so few cyclists use them it would just
> confuse drivers, I think. A straight arm and glance back would be
> safer, as far as I can see.
>
> It's quite wide too- they had one fitted to a bike in the Cycle
> Surgery on the first floor.

Probably still not wide enough.

When are inventors going to learn? A bicycle is too narrow for indicators -
unless they're stuck out on stalks - which would spoil the ability to park
the bike in a confined space... Unless perhaps the stalks were folding or
telescopic. Oops, I think I've given away a billion-pound idea there :)

Still, I don't think I would want any indicators myself. It's nice to keep
the amount accessories minimal on a bike - for the sake of saving weight,
complication and money.

~PB

I scribbled:
> When are inventors going to learn? A bicycle is too narrow for
> indicators - unless they're stuck out on stalks - which would spoil
> the ability to park the bike in a confined space...

and also get through small gaps in traffic jams.

~PB

On 3 Jan, 09:15, spindrift <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://www.cyclesurgery.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/1026783/grou...
>
> I'm not sure i see the point, especially for £45!
>
> You'd be a lot more visible but so few cyclists use them it would just
> confuse drivers, I think. A straight arm and glance back would be
> safer, as far as I can see.
>
> It's quite wide too- they had one fitted to a bike in the Cycle
> Surgery on the first floor.
>
> Complies with Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations
> Front Switches Control Front and Rear Indicators
> Wirefree Communication
> 5 Super Bright White LED's Head Light
> 3 Super Bright Red LED's Rear Light
> Flashing and Non-Flashing Lighting Modes
> 8 Super Bright Orange LED's Front Indicators
> 6 Super Bright Orange LED's Rear Indicators

Yes, well not me, I saw some when I went on a bike ride a couple of
months ago.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elyob/1776950877/in/set-72157602743406785/

Must admit to feeling that they looked fairly ridiculous ...

On 3 Jan, 10:04, elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 3 Jan, 09:15, spindrift <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >http://www.cyclesurgery.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/1026783/grou...

> > I'm not sure i see the point, especially for £45!

> > You'd be a lot more visible but so few cyclists use them it would just
> > confuse drivers, I think. A straight arm and glance back would be
> > safer, as far as I can see.

> > It's quite wide too- they had one fitted to a bike in the Cycle
> > Surgery on the first floor.

> > Complies with Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations
> > Front Switches Control Front and Rear Indicators
> > Wirefree Communication
> > 5 Super Bright White LED's Head Light
> > 3 Super Bright Red LED's Rear Light
> > Flashing and Non-Flashing Lighting Modes
> > 8 Super Bright Orange LED's Front Indicators
> > 6 Super Bright Orange LED's Rear Indicators

> Yes, well not me, I saw some when I went on a bike ride a couple of
> months ago.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/elyob/1776950877/in/set-72157602743406785/
>
> Must admit to feeling that they looked fairly ridiculous ...- Hide quoted text -

Is there a formula for x = rich cyclists y = silly overpriced cycling
tat?

On 3 Jan, 10:19, spindrift <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 3 Jan, 10:04, elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On 3 Jan, 09:15, spindrift <[email protected]> wrote:

> > >http://www.cyclesurgery.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/1026783/grou....

> > > I'm not sure i see the point, especially for £45!

> > > You'd be a lot more visible but so few cyclists use them it would just
> > > confuse drivers, I think. A straight arm and glance back would be
> > > safer, as far as I can see.

> > > It's quite wide too- they had one fitted to a bike in the Cycle
> > > Surgery on the first floor.

> > > Complies with Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations
> > > Front Switches Control Front and Rear Indicators
> > > Wirefree Communication
> > > 5 Super Bright White LED's Head Light
> > > 3 Super Bright Red LED's Rear Light
> > > Flashing and Non-Flashing Lighting Modes
> > > 8 Super Bright Orange LED's Front Indicators
> > > 6 Super Bright Orange LED's Rear Indicators

> > Yes, well not me, I saw some when I went on a bike ride a couple of
> > months ago.

> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/elyob/1776950877/in/set-72157602743406785/

> > Must admit to feeling that they looked fairly ridiculous ...- Hide quoted text -

> Is there a formula for x = rich cyclists y = silly overpriced cycling
> tat?

Look at it this way, no one is going to steal your lights - no self
respecting cycle thief would want such an uncool bit of tat.

Sniper8052

On Jan 3, 9:15 am, spindrift <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://www.cyclesurgery.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/1026783/grou...
>
> I'm not sure i see the point, especially for £45!

I know a young MTBer who asked for serious off road lights for
Christmas and got these. He was not impressed.

Along with the other criticisms of them, they are surprisingly heavy
for what they do. He thought it was because of a charger and then
realised they came with disposables.

Maybe they exist to be bought as presents.

Rob

elyob wrote:
> On 3 Jan, 09:15, spindrift <[email protected]> wrote:
>> http://www.cyclesurgery.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/1026783/grou...
>>
>> I'm not sure i see the point, especially for £45!
>>
>> You'd be a lot more visible but so few cyclists use them it would
>> just confuse drivers, I think. A straight arm and glance back would
>> be safer, as far as I can see.
>>
>> It's quite wide too- they had one fitted to a bike in the Cycle
>> Surgery on the first floor.
>>
>> Complies with Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations
>> Front Switches Control Front and Rear Indicators
>> Wirefree Communication
>> 5 Super Bright White LED's Head Light
>> 3 Super Bright Red LED's Rear Light
>> Flashing and Non-Flashing Lighting Modes
>> 8 Super Bright Orange LED's Front Indicators
>> 6 Super Bright Orange LED's Rear Indicators

> Yes, well not me, I saw some when I went on a bike ride a couple of
> months ago.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/elyob/1776950877/in/set-72157602743406785/
>
> Must admit to feeling that they looked fairly ridiculous ...

They seem far too close together to work as an effective indicator to me.

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 09:34:16 -0000, Pete Biggs
<[email protected]>
was popularly supposed to have said:

> When are inventors going to learn? A bicycle is too narrow for indicators -
> unless they're stuck out on stalks - which would spoil the ability to park
> the bike in a confined space... Unless perhaps the stalks were folding or
> telescopic. Oops, I think I've given away a billion-pound idea there :)

I saw something that would do the job somewhere, that fulfills all of
your criteria.

What you have is a cycling glove with yellow LEDs on it, and a
push-to-make switch on the knuckle of the first finger, where your thumb
can easily push it, but not where it is going to get squashed on
otherwise.

When you want to turn, stick your arm out as per normal, squeeze the
switch and hey presto, flashy yellow lights on the end of your arm!

Granted it is overkill for signalling, but you'd probably only need one
for right turns as left turns aren't so important to signal.

--
Dan Holdsworth PhD [email protected]
By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, By the beans of Java

Dan Holdsworth wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 09:34:16 -0000, Pete Biggs
> <[email protected]>
> was popularly supposed to have said:
>
>> When are inventors going to learn? A bicycle is too narrow for
>> indicators - unless they're stuck out on stalks - which would spoil
>> the ability to park the bike in a confined space... Unless perhaps
>> the stalks were folding or telescopic. Oops, I think I've given
>> away a billion-pound idea there :)

> I saw something that would do the job somewhere, that fulfills all of
> your criteria.

Not really*

> What you have is a cycling glove with yellow LEDs on it, and a
> push-to-make switch on the knuckle of the first finger, where your
> thumb can easily push it, but not where it is going to get squashed on
> otherwise.
>
> When you want to turn, stick your arm out as per normal, squeeze the
> switch and hey presto, flashy yellow lights on the end of your arm!

There is also this that comes on automatically:
http://safeturn.com/the_product.html

> Granted it is overkill for signalling,

Agreed.

> but you'd probably only need
> one for right turns as left turns aren't so important to signal.

* A main advatage of electronic indicators should be that you don't have to
stick your arm out, so lights on gloves or arms aren't quite in the same
department.

However, nothing on a bike is going to be better than sticking your arm out,
so inventors (many of whom will have little cycle experience) will keep on
inventing products that will fail.

~PB

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 13:09:43 GMT, Dan Holdsworth wrote:
> What you have is a cycling glove with yellow LEDs on it, and a
> push-to-make switch on the knuckle of the first finger, where your thumb
> can easily push it, but not where it is going to get squashed on
> otherwise.

Even simpler, halfords already sell reflective arm/leg bands, and they
don't need batteries :)

--
Stephen Patterson :: [email protected] :: http://patter.mine.nu/
GPG: B416F0DE :: Jabber: [email protected]

In message <[email protected]>

[snip]

> Even simpler, halfords already sell reflective arm/leg bands, and they
> don't need batteries :)

The velcro type are better than the snappy metal as IMHO you can
adjust the tension.

--
Charles
Brompton P6R-Plus; CarryFreedom -YL, in Motspur Park

Dan Holdsworth <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 09:34:16 -0000, Pete Biggs
> <[email protected]>
> was popularly supposed to have said:
>
> > When are inventors going to learn? A bicycle is too narrow for indicators -
> > unless they're stuck out on stalks - which would spoil the ability to park
> > the bike in a confined space... Unless perhaps the stalks were folding or
> > telescopic. Oops, I think I've given away a billion-pound idea there :)

> I saw something that would do the job somewhere, that fulfills all of
> your criteria.
>
> What you have is a cycling glove with yellow LEDs on it, and a
> push-to-make switch on the knuckle of the first finger, where your thumb
> can easily push it, but not where it is going to get squashed on
> otherwise.

I have a fine pair of Altura gloves with reflective bits on. If I stick
my arm out, traffic generally lets me change lane or turn. Mind you,
that tended to happen even before I bought the gloves.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>