Ride the Lobster Publicity

paul royle

Guest
Just before Christmas I got an email from the local paper saying they
wanted to do an article about my taking part in Ride the Lobster. I
thought it would probably be a tiny article tucked away in a corner of
the paper, and said OK. The reporter called me, asked lots of
questions, and arranged for a photographer to come and take some
photos. The photographer turned up last weekend, took about a thousand
photos (that's what it felt like!) and this appeared on page 5 of the
paper on Tuesday...

[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery2/..._GALLERYSID=c7a04da63101aea57947ecb925a27491]

That's almost the whole of page 5, not quite what I was expecting! The
words are 'here.' (http://tinyurl.com/22l622)

Has anyone else been in the paper or on TV yet as a result of Ride the
Lobster?

Paul

--
paul royle
http://www.usenet.com

Paul -
Fantastic article! Congrats on being famous!:D

--
steveyo

steveyo
...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a few 'uni race write-ups'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
- muni and kokopelli uni 't-shirts, mugs and stickers'
(http://www.cafepress.com/steveyo)
http://www.usenet.com

... and the cash from the betting shop will come in handy too :D

--
munidobs
http://www.usenet.com

A whole page. Nicely done. I like the last paragraph. "But most of my
mates have come to terms with it now."

My family is starting to "come to terms with it";)

This in yesterday's paper from Nova Scotia:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/NovaScotia/1001327.html

I also read an article in a Korean paper. I'll see if I can find it
again.

Congratulations on preparing to participate in RTL the first of it's
kind!

--
Unibugg

johnfoss wrote:
> If riding the unicycle seems impossible at first, that only proves
> you're human. :)

http://www.usenet.com

Thats a nice write-up, I bet you people are going to recognize you as
the "guy in the paper".

Maybe I should contact my local paper and ask them if they still wanted
to interview me. They called my parents place near the start of exam
time asking if they could interview me about RTL but the number that my
mom gave me to call turned out to be a fax number.

Now that I am not so busy I could look up the proper number and give
them a call.

What the hey, they used up a third of the third page last year to say I
unicycle to class every day (see profile) :)

--
saskatchewanian
http://www.usenet.com

Congratulations Cambridge, UK.

Here's a link to a 7-minute telephone interview between radio station
CJOB 680 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada and RTL's Doug Dockerill (media
coordinator).
http://tinyurl.com/23j87s

Cheers
Edward
First Wheel, RTL

--
RideTheLobster
http://www.usenet.com

The Manitoba radio interview mentioned Eric P. name as the closest
unicyclist rider.

To bad he lives in Saskatchewan.

Way to go Eric, you're a celebrity.

;)

--
legtod2
http://www.usenet.com

How did they get your contact info?

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
http://www.usenet.com

That's a great article! I think that as we create a buzz about RTL
locally, we better the climate for participation, sponsorships & media
coverage come June. There's a reporter visiting our club this week to
write about Ride the Lobster and unicycling in general.

--
bmerry
http://www.usenet.com

ntappin wrote:
> How did they get your contact info?

I think one of the RTL organisers contacted them, I'm not totally
sure.

Paul

--
paul royle
http://www.usenet.com

'Me too!' (http://www.gtweekly.com/unicycle-adventures) :)

--
phlegm
http://www.usenet.com

Nice article, dude!

--
steveyo

steveyo
...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a few 'uni race write-ups'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
- muni and kokopelli uni 't-shirts, mugs and stickers'
(http://www.cafepress.com/steveyo)
http://www.usenet.com

Joe Marshall and myself have now made it on to Page 3 of the Nottingham
Evening Post.;

25444

The text is;
Cycling across Canada on two wheels would test any biker to the
limit.

But two Notts men are determined to try the 500-mile cold trek on just
the one.

Joe Marshall, 29, from Beeston, and his pal Spencer Owen, 32, from
Bramcote, will attempt the Ride the Lobster challenge this June.

It will see them ride the length of Nova Scotia in just five days, at
speeds of up 15mph.

It is dubbed the unicycle equivalent of the Tour de France and is named
after the shape of Nova Scotia - which almost forms one of two 'claws'
on the east coast of Canada.

Joe, a University of Nottingham student, and Spencer, an IT worker, are
currently in the middle of a gruelling training regime to get them
ready for the 100-mile-a-day ride.

Both are long-time unicycle fans, using the single-wheeled bikes as
their preferred mode of transport.

Joe, 29, fell in love with the unicycle when he was living in London.

"I got into unicycling originally just because I love circus stuff,
then I discovered there were people riding them down mountains and
things," he said.

"I've not done much 'circus' unicycling.

"But when I lived in London, I only had a tiny flat so I couldn't fit a
bike in there, so I used my unicycle instead. It turned out to be more
practical."

The pair, along with American James Amon, have dubbed their team The
Goonies.

They will be supported by Joe's wife, law PhD student Penny Munro. She
is not a unicyclist but will be going along to help co-ordinate their
route.

"She's quite supportive of my stupid ideas," Joe said. "I unicycled in
New Zealand last year and we went down a field just after the first
snow of the season and that was pretty tough.

"It was rocky, downhill and steep.

"I do ride normal bikes as well, it's just a bit more of a challenge on
a unicycle.

"We're riding about 50 to 60 miles a week at the moment," Joe
explained. "Last weekend, we had a big training weekend with a whole
bunch of people from around the country.

"We did a big ride from Beeston to Cromford in the Peak District and
back.

"The hardest thing about Ride the Lobster is probably going to be going
up against the fastest riders in the world.

"We all know we can ride the distance at a comfortable speed. But the
speed will have to be about 15mph or so to keep up which might be
tough.

"We've got to do it in five days, we're sure we can do that.

"We're certainly thinking we'll be in the middle of the pack as far as
places go, but we're training hard to do as well as we can.

"The unicycles we use have got big wheels, which makes them faster and
more stable.

"Once you've learned to ride a unicycle they're quite stable really.
It's just like riding a bike."

The challenge runs from June 16 to 20.

A spokesman for the organisers said: "Ride the Lobster is a unique,
international unicycle race, unlike any other ever held.

"It's an ultra-marathon for the unicycling community.

"The distance will be 800km in stages, over five days, and, with over
25 teams of three riders each from around the world competing for at
least (10,000 Canadian dollars) in prize money; it will be one event
you won't want to miss."

All the teams taking part in Ride the Lobster will be tracked and
mapped by global positioning satellites, and their positions in the
race will be available in almost real-time via the internet.

Visit www.ridethelobster.com for more details

|Filename: evening post 800.jpg |

semach.the.monkey
http://www.usenet.com

Me too, http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68112

It is top story on the website and i am on the whole cover of the
western star as well as page 3.:)

--
unicyclist.ca

http://www.Unicyclist.ca
http://www.usenet.com

Nice article! I would really love to participate and go to Nova Scotia
for RTL, but I guess you need three on a team and ride approx 33 miles
per day each? I'd definitley be up for that but would need to find two
ppl to team up with. my guess is everybody is probably already teamed
up.:(

--
MuniAddict

'My videos:' (http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699)
http://www.usenet.com

hey terry i was thinking about going next year and i also will need two
partners. just somthing to keep in mind for the future. we could win it
all!:)

--
kdawg
http://www.usenet.com

See details here

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/front/article/228617

Granted I've yet to do my qualifing run I hope to have the support of
my community and bring awarness to the event.

--
legtod2

Terry Fox & Trish Crandall...
my inspiration in life.
http://www.usenet.com

MuniAddict wrote:
> Nice article! I would really love to participate and go to Nova Scotia
> for RTL, but I guess you need three on a team and ride approx 33 miles
> per day each? I'd definitley be up for that but would need to find two
> ppl to team up with. my guess is everybody is probably already teamed
> up.:(

By my count so far RTL has 60 qualified riders and eight teams of 3
riders, so looks like 36 riders loose. 'Course the Berkley "Yam's" and
"Totally Doable" haven't been thru registration yet, and we have yet to
get a bunch of Europeans. Even Ken Looi and the NZ crowd haven't
qualified yet, so I'm guessing a canvass of the riders might turn up
team mates.

Check qualified riders at 'www.ridethelobster.com.'
(http://www.ridethelobster.com) click RACE, then RIDERS, then click the
map of the country of your choice.

We'd love to have you, Muniaddict. Maybe AARP can sponsor Team
Geezer?:rolleyes:

--
ridethelobster2008

Ride the Lobster: 800 km international unicycle marathon
June 16-20, 2008, Nova Scotia, Canada
www.ridethelobster.com
http://www.usenet.com

semach.the.monkey wrote:
> Joe Marshall and myself have now made it on to Page 3 of the Nottingham
> Evening Post.;

Team Goonies = #1 !

--
siafirede

'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland

James = my name
'This' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout) = my myspace
http://www.usenet.com

semach.the.monkey wrote:
> Joe Marshall and myself have now made it on to Page 3 of the Nottingham
> Evening Post.;

Team Goonies = #1 !