NAILED BY NISSAN TRUCK RIDING MY LOWRACER VK2 RECUMBENT!

DANA, THE HIT RIDER BELIEVES BELOW,

I called the insurance company yesterday, and the guy who hit me had
already filed a report. Nothing like someone taking a little
responsibility for their actions! I need to see my Sports Med doc this
week to figure out how to keep my fitness level up so I can still do
the Solvang Double on March 29 (it's my birthday and I don't want to
miss it). Death Valley Double is out, though...

Yes, I am consulting an attorney.

I don't know if they cited the driver...I will push for it, but
ultimately he knows he screwed up.

BELOW IS ORIGINAL POST FROM DANA TAKEN FROM A RECUMBENT WEBSITE

On Jan 20, 4:59 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> [...]
> > and feeling damn lucky that the worst part of this is that my early-
> > season ultra racing plans are ruined.
> > Folks, wear your helmets. Mine saved me today from either (a) a good
> > concussion, (b) brain damage, (c) death. No, a helmet won't save you
> > in every situation, but it will in some.
> > It didn't matter what kind of bike I was riding...I would have been
> > hit. Being 10" higher off the ground still wouldn't have helped me see
> > over a truck that was blocking my view.
> > Keep focused on what's really important to you. It isn't the bike, the
> > $400 GPS, the new jersey, the cool sunglasses....if it is, I suggest
> > you re-assess your priorities. My wife was absolutely amazed at how
> > patient I was at the ER, despite feeling like we were abandoned for
> > about 4 hours. My priority was getting home to my kids...it didn't
> > matter how long it took as long as that was the end result.

Sorry to hear about your mishap, but don't feel too depressed. You can
still ride rollers (or a trainer) with a broken clavicle -- I did it
with a separated AC, which is treated the same way (sling and Ace wrap
-- figure eight with a clavicle fracture). A broken clavicle is
somewhat more painful , though, but you can still keep you fitness up
-- mostly (there is nothing like real road miles).

OT: I shattered my tibia and fibula yesterday skiing. I wasn't doing
anything stupid. My binding should have released,but it didn't. There
is nothing more nauseating than hearing your own bones break. The ski
patrolers got me off a black/doble black slope like they were skiing a
blue. Truly remarkable skiing -- they get a huge thank you note. Got
to the bottom, and there was fentanyl and an ambulance waiting (100
mcg and some diazepam got my boot off). Got more fentanyl on the long
drive back in to PDX. I also got Dilaudid at the ER. I have never had
so many opiates in one day (although I could have used another dose
before x-rays, grrrr!). I'll find out tomorrow what kind of surgery I
need. This injury is going to keep me off my bike for a long time --
longer than I have been off in, well, since I learned to ride a two
wheeler in 1962.

The funny part is that the ER doc applauded me for wearing a helmet,
which seemed pretty irrelevant. I wear a helmet skiing and riding,
and I think they reduce certain injuries (like depressed skull
fracture and scalp laceration), but getting plaudits for wearing a
helmet when I broke my leg, that was kind of weird. With that said,
the level of care was really amazing. Incredibly nice and dilligent
people from the top of the mountain to the ER. The longest wait
without medical attention was in a Walgreen parking lot on the way
home while my wife got the oxycodone prescription filled. Can't wait
to see the bill for all this. -- Jay Beattie.

On Jan 21, 5:06 pm, Jay Beattie <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]

> need. This injury is going to keep me off my bike for a long time --
> longer than I have been off in, well, since I learned to ride a two
> wheeler in 1962.
>
> The funny part is that the ER doc applauded me for wearing a helmet,
> which seemed pretty irrelevant. I wear a helmet skiing and riding,
> and I think they reduce certain injuries (like depressed skull
> fracture and scalp laceration), but getting plaudits for wearing a
> helmet when I broke my leg, that was kind of weird. With that said,
> the level of care was really amazing. Incredibly nice and dilligent
> people from the top of the mountain to the ER. The longest wait
> without medical attention was in a Walgreen parking lot on the way
> home while my wife got the oxycodone prescription filled. Can't wait
> to see the bill for all this. -- Jay Beattie.- Hide quoted text -

That sucks Jay - I'm over here wishing you a speedy recovery. Sucks
when it's unexpected or an equipment failure, makes it harder to tell
yourself "If I do ___ in the future that won't happen again."

Ski Patrol is amazing; I've been on the receiving end of their care in
the past. They did such a good job getting my snowboard off of me,
explaining what happened and such that I was already in the med
station getting checked for a concussion when I realized I wasn't
attached to my board anymore. I panicked about that for a second
until I was assured it was in the rack with the Patrol guys skis,
being treated just as well and watched over just like their stuff.
Once they established I didn't have any serious head trauma they even
got in touch with my dad for me and let him give the verbal waiver for
me to get back on the hill. They said they needed an adult consent
because I lost consciousness on the hill. Turns out they were right
and I wasn't really ready to board again anyway, I spent the rest of
the day in the lodge, but it was cool they went the extra mile when I
expressed a desire to get back on the hill.

Oh, I was unconscious when they got to me, and I never heard a word
about a helmet. Go figure. In all fairness if I wasn't trying to
dodge a little kid that fell where he shouldn't have been I wouldn't
have wrecked, but hey, those weird instances are why they make the
safety gear, right?

[email protected] wrote:

> Sucks
> when it's unexpected or an equipment failure, makes it harder to tell
> yourself "If I do ___ in the future that won't happen again."

You could do what was yelled at me today, "Get off the slopes and ski on
the sidewalk!!!!"

Jay Beattie wrote:
> Sorry to hear about your mishap, but don't feel too depressed. You can
> still ride rollers (or a trainer) with a broken clavicle -- I did it
> with a separated AC, which is treated the same way (sling and Ace wrap
> -- figure eight with a clavicle fracture). A broken clavicle is
> somewhat more painful , though, but you can still keep you fitness up
> -- mostly (there is nothing like real road miles).

One should be able to ride a recumbent with a broken clavicle, since no
real weight is supported by the arms.

> OT: I shattered my tibia and fibula yesterday skiing.... This
> injury is going to keep me off my bike for a long time --
> longer than I have been off in, well, since I learned to ride a two
> wheeler in 1962....

Ugh. Have you considered a hand-cycle for temporary use? It would be
slow and difficult, but you would likely have really strong arms by the
time you heal.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

Tom Sherman wrote:
What in the name of Bill Gates [1] is up with that?

> [1] Since your header reveals that you are using Microsoft Windows Mail
> 6.0.

It's called Vista. One wouldn't think that they could possibly screw up
an email program since MS had years of experience with them, but with
Vista they did the impossible.

On Jan 20, 7:59 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> > I debated for two days whether or not I even wanted to share this
> > story, as I was afraid it would turn into a "lowracers aren't safe"
> > argument, or a "helmet" argument. FWIW, I will present my
> > thoughts...if this thread turns into either of these, I will delete
> > the entire thread immediately.

Hmm. You state that your helmet definitely saved you; and that riding
with your head maybe three feet off the pavement is just fine for
safety, despite the fact that you couldn't see the vehicle that hit
you, and he couldn't see you.

You want to present your thoughts. But you don't want anyone who
disagrees to present their thoughts?

Yes, you should delete the thread immediately.

- Frank Krygowski

On Jan 21, 6:36 pm, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote:
> MS is a million times smarter than you and I.

=-= Well, you're half right about that.

> The screw up is not with MS or Vista or its email program
> (Windows Mail) but with the Google web page for Google
> Groups ...

=-= Under Google Groups, "More options" -> "Show original"
indicates that the messup is in the original (as received from
Windows Mail).

> ... or more likely with the poster himself who is doing
> something wrong.

=-= Yes, see "half right" above.
<_Jym_>

On Jan 22, 12:29 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Jan 21, 9:48 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > You want to present your thoughts. But you don't want anyone who
> > disagrees to present their thoughts?

> Sound familiar, Frank?

Yes, of course it sounds familiar, because I just posted that. Why do
you ask?

> JTTH. --D-y

It's probably better to restrict internet acronyms to ones that are in
common usage.

- Frank Krygowski

On Jan 21, 2:06 pm, Jay Beattie <[email protected]> wrote:

> OT:  I shattered my tibia and fibula yesterday skiing.  I wasn't doing
> anything stupid.  My binding should have released,but it didn't. There
> is nothing more nauseating than hearing your own bones break. The ski
> patrolers got me off a black/doble black slope like they were skiing a
> blue. Truly remarkable skiing -- they get a huge thank you note. Got
> to the bottom, and there was fentanyl and an ambulance waiting (100
> mcg and some diazepam got my boot off). Got more fentanyl on the long
> drive back in to PDX. I also got Dilaudid at the ER.

<snip>.
>Can't wait
> to see the bill for all this. -- Jay Beattie

Dude! That's serious dope! :-/

Glad to hear you're in (relatively) one piece, but it looks like
you're OK- you spelled all the drug names correctly.

BTW- which ER did you end up in? I know Mike Murray (from OBRA-land)
is an ER doc at Legacy Mount Hood in Troutdale, but I can't imagine
you getting transported all the way there. He's the smart one- I'm
cheap labor (my day job is being a pharmacy tech at Legacy Emanuel).

Jeff

On Jan 22, 2:23 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Jan 22, 12:29 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 21, 9:48 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> > > You want to present your thoughts.  But you don't want anyone who
> > > disagrees to present their thoughts?

> > Sound familiar, Frank?

> Yes, of course it sounds familiar, because I just posted that.  Why do
> you ask?

Or, you could have said something like "read and understood". It's OK.
I understand.

> > JTTH.

> It's probably better to restrict internet acronyms to ones that are in
> common usage.

Too much of a stretch, Frank? --D-y

On Jan 22, 6:22 pm, JeffWills <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jan 21, 2:06 pm, Jay Beattie <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > OT:  I shattered my tibia and fibula yesterday skiing.  I wasn't doing
> > anything stupid.  My binding should have released,but it didn't. There
> > is nothing more nauseating than hearing your own bones break. The ski
> > patrolers got me off a black/doble black slope like they were skiing a
> > blue. Truly remarkable skiing -- they get a huge thank you note. Got
> > to the bottom, and there was fentanyl and an ambulance waiting (100
> > mcg and some diazepam got my boot off). Got more fentanyl on the long
> > drive back in to PDX. I also got Dilaudid at the ER.

> <snip>.
> >Can't wait
> > to see the bill for all this. -- Jay Beattie

> Dude!  That's serious dope!  :-/
>
> Glad to hear you're in (relatively) one piece, but it looks like
> you're OK- you spelled all the drug names correctly.
>
> BTW- which ER did you end up in? I know Mike Murray (from OBRA-land)
> is an ER doc at Legacy Mount Hood in Troutdale, but I can't imagine
> you getting transported all the way there.  He's the smart one- I'm
> cheap labor (my day job is being a pharmacy tech at Legacy Emanuel).

I got transported all the way to Providence PDX -- since my 12 year
old son couldn't drive the Toyota (and me) back down the mountain. I
got shifted to a different ambulance in Zig Zag, because they like to
keep the allwheel drive unit on the mountain. The units also have
different drugs. The Government Camp unit has Vallium (good for
getting boots off broken legs). The Sandy unit does not. It has
Versed for wiping clean bad memories of intubation using paralytics.
The AMR paramedic told me this.

It's back to Providence tomorrow to have a titanium rod put in my
tibia. I wanted carbon fiber -- red preferrably, with white stripes.
They told me not to waste my money just to shave a few grams off my
leg.

BTW, it is a small world -- if you are at Emanuel, then you know my
friend Dave Fournash. My other pharmacist friend , Mark Bothe, is at
Legacy Mt. Hood.-- Jay Beattie.

Jay Beattie wrote:
> It's back to Providence tomorrow to have a titanium rod put in my
> tibia. I wanted carbon fiber -- red preferrably, with white stripes.
> They told me not to waste my money just to shave a few grams off my
> leg....

What is wrong with good old fashioned stainless steel (as long as it is
a nickel free alloy)? ;)

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

On Jan 22, 10:06 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2:23 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > On Jan 22, 12:29 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > Sound familiar, Frank?

> > Yes, of course it sounds familiar, because I just posted that. Why do
> > you ask?

> Or, you could have said something like "read and understood". It's OK.
> I understand.
>
> > > JTTH.

> > It's probably better to restrict internet acronyms to ones that are in
> > common usage.

> Too much of a stretch, Frank? --D-y

Sorry, D-y, you're so deep into non-sequiturs that I have no idea what
- or if - you're thinking.

- Frank Krygowski

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 01:49:16 -0600, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Jay Beattie wrote:
>> It's back to Providence tomorrow to have a titanium rod put in my
>> tibia. I wanted carbon fiber -- red preferrably, with white stripes.
>> They told me not to waste my money just to shave a few grams off my
>> leg....

Heal fast. Heal whole, Jay.

>What is wrong with good old fashioned stainless steel (as long as it is
>a nickel free alloy)? ;)

First intuition tells me that the mark-up on titanium is greater than
that on stainless steel.

My ti-tibia was installed and I was sitting in my room ten hours
after arriving in ER, pedalling a stationary bike within ten days and
riding on the street in just over ten weeks. I was lucky to have not
gibbled the knee or ankle other than the soft tissue damage. A cast
was offered but the recovery time would have been longer. I've not
yet regretted opting for the implant.
--
zk