trains

ray

Guest
First we're banned, now we're not. The other front page Age story this
morning was that they've just discovered the Port Phillip channel
dredging will lead to increased truck traffic. Like, DER. And this is
being used as an excuse for the useless East-West fumeway that VicRoads
first planned in the 1950s.
There's a perfectly good standard gauge rail system to the container
terminals, but that didn't even get mentioned. You have to wonder where
these turkeys are coming from.
Cheers,
Ray

ray said:
.
There's a perfectly good standard gauge rail system to the container
terminals, but that didn't even get mentioned. You have to wonder where
these turkeys are coming from.
Cheers,
Ray

I'm not sure if the railway is continious down to the terminals that are direcly on Hobsons bay (Appleton docks?). My recollection of the rail link was that it went over the bridge beside the Charles Grimes bridge. This bridge has now been converted to pedestrian / cycle and the tracks removed. There are lots of tracks down around those docks, (look down as you go over the westgate) but I don't see how they are linked into the network.

It all looks like a major bit of short-sightedness. The rail links were there but I expect they were swallowed up in the rush to build all those apartments down in docklands

RoryW

Rory Williams <[email protected]>
wrote:

>ray Wrote:
>> .
>> There's a perfectly good standard gauge rail system to the container
>> terminals, but that didn't even get mentioned. You have to wonder
>> where
>> these turkeys are coming from.
>> Cheers,
>> Ray

>I'm not sure if the railway is continious down to the terminals that
>are direcly on Hobsons bay (Appleton docks?). My recollection of the
>rail link was that it went over the bridge beside the Charles Grimes
>bridge. This bridge has now been converted to pedestrian / cycle and
>the tracks removed. There are lots of tracks down around those docks,
>(look down as you go over the westgate) but I don't see how they are
>linked into the network.
>
>It all looks like a major bit of short-sightedness. The rail links
>were there but I expect they were swallowed up in the rush to build all
>those apartments down in docklands
>
>RoryW

Very short sighted.
There are no longer any rail links to the docks South of the river,
including the main container terminal at Webb Dock.

All got removed with the development of the Light Rail (tram) to Port
Melbourne and St Kilda and the docklands residential/office
development.

Regards,

Ted.
| Ted Linnell <[email protected]> |
| |
| Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

Hi

my apology for tangental bicycle content.

I'm in finland at the moment, and on a fare across the country (west to east)
a bicycle costs about 12 bucks.

>>> There's a perfectly good standard gauge rail system to the container
>>> terminals, but that didn't even get mentioned. You have to wonder
>>> where
>>> these turkeys are coming from.

>>It all looks like a major bit of short-sightedness. The rail links

>Very short sighted.
>There are no longer any rail links to the docks South of the river,
>including the main container terminal at Webb Dock.

reminds me of the rail link to the Gold Coast which used to exist between
Beenleigh and Southport. This was ripped up and the iron sold for scrap back
in the 60's. Cos there was a highway upgrade in the wind and well, people
just needed to bring cars to Main Beach.

As to short sightedness, well I've even heard that the contract to dispose of
the scrap was filled before the official tendering process. Its hard to just
keep dismissing this as short sightedness.

This is not just idle conjecture, there's even recent Masters Thesises written
on the filure of our government to attain its own sustainable transport
initiatives.

:)

See Ya
(when bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer
Motorcyclist and dingbat

please remove undies for reply

"Rory Williams" wrote:

> ray Wrote:
>> .
>> There's a perfectly good standard gauge rail system to the container
>> terminals, but that didn't even get mentioned. You have to wonder
>> where
>> these turkeys are coming from.
>> Cheers,
>> Ray

> I'm not sure if the railway is continious down to the terminals that
> are direcly on Hobsons bay (Appleton docks?).

Appleton Dock is on the Yarra, it's the Webb Dock container terminal that's
down at Port Melbourne, with no rail access.

The dredging is to occur in the river, that's part of the controversy, all
about very toxic sediments that need to be disposed in a suitable safe
manner. Burn them, toxic dump landfill (where? your backyard?), dump out in
the ocean (uncontrolled), or dump in Port Phillip Bay (with some measure of
containment). Decisions, decisions!

Appleton Dock has the standard gauge rail link, and it is being upgraded as
we speak to remove at least two level crossings on Footscray Rd and Dynon
Rd.

--
Cheers
Peter