My First 100 Mile Ride!

chuckaeronut

Guest
Hey everybodies, I spent a bit of time and got all my photos together
from the ride. I took about 80 total (probably 10 spurts of 8 or so),
and they are at this location:

http://henry.sandi.net/students/2008/wedwall/chuck/qviewer

This is the first image in the gallery; just a route with some
averages.
[image:
http://henry.sandi.net/students/2008/wedwall/chuck/qviewer/images/photos/photos1024/1.jpg]

It's a JavaScript photoviewer I made back in early 2006, and, as far as
I know, it works in all browsers including IE6! So bring it on and
clickz0r! Grrr, it better work in IE6 .... heheheh

I intend at this point to make this short, but if any of you know me,
you know I can be too verbose, so this will probably end up being a
hell of a long post. You guys don't have to read it if it's longer than
a couple paragraphs!!!

Anyway, about the ride... whoohoo, it was a doozey for me, and I was
thrashed afterwards! Didn't really chafe much, but once I made it home,
I slept probably 33 hours out of the next two days of the weekend.

I started out on a bit of a climb to get out to Pacific Coast Highway
(PCH) from my college, UC Irvine, as we're behind a bit of a hill. I
was doing about 11.5 mph or so up the hill, which isn't bad, but it's
not a great way to kick off your shot at getting a fast average speed
for the day! By the time I'd gotten down the other side of the hill to
PCH, my average was up to 12.2, much better than 11. I left hungry on
purpose, so I could stop at a Subway in Newport Beach and get a
footlong Jalapeño-filled meatball sandwich, which I would then inhale.
After sitting around for a good half hour, I continued south on PCH for
the REAL beginning of the ride.
[image:
http://henry.sandi.net/students/2008/wedwall/chuck/qviewer/images/photos/photos0800/13.jpg]

Through Newport Beach, the hills are manageable, and on the flats, I
found myself cruising between 14.5 and 15.5 without much effort; on the
downs, I'd be consistently in the 15s, touching 16s, and on the slight
ups, usually around 12. My average through Newport Beach was a good
13.5 or so, and caused my average to climb to 12.8 by the time I hit
Laguna Beach's limit.

Once I got to Laguna Beach, which is more hilly, my average didn't
really drop, I think because I was warming up more and getting used to
my uni a tad better; there were many more hills, which I crawled up
around 10-10.5mph and raced down around 17-18 with my shiny new brake
(yippee!). Flats were still within 0.5mph of 15.0, and by the end of
Laguna Beach, headed into Dana Point, my average speed for the whole
ride had climbed to 13.3. That means I must've been averaging in the
high 13s through the hills to get it to climb that far from 12.8mph
with only doubling the total distance travelled.
[image:
http://henry.sandi.net/students/2008/wedwall/chuck/qviewer/images/photos/photos0640/35.jpg]

Dana Point is the beginning of the end of the hills for this ride, as
it's a huge downhill to a stretch of very slight rollers that pull you
along the coast for the next 45 miles (to Torrey Pines Grade). Down the
Dana Point hill on PCH, I was spinning 16-17.5mph, keeping it
relatively under control in order to prevent UPDs. At the bottom of the
hill is a stoplight, but, luckily for me, it had just turned green, so
I sailed through at 17 miles an hour, passing all the cars that had
just begun to accelerate. It feels GOOD when that happens, doesn't
it??!!

After Dana Point are San Juan Capistrano, San Clemente, San Onofre
campground, and Camp Pendleton (Marines base) until Oceanside, which is
right about the halfway point of the ride and will be my first stopping
point for some fuel. Through all these towns/places, it's relatively
flat, with the exception of a decently sizable hill in San Clemente.

I pegged my pace between 15.7 and 16.2mph on the first portion of the
bike path going through San Juan Capistrano, which lasted a couple
miles; once it opened back up to the road, I slowed back down to
14.5-15ish; by then, spinning just kind of felt second nature, and,
though my groin muscles were a bit sore, it was easy to ignore them...
so I just spun away on the flat ground until Oceanside, having gone in
the emergency lane of the freeway, Interstate 5, to get past the
Marines base. (It was dark by then, and they don't let cyclists on the
base after a 3:30 or 4 PM.) My average for the 25-ish mile stretch from
Dana Point to Oceanside was a cool 14.4mph, which I am pretty stoked
with! My previous longest time going 14.4mph was a fund-raiser back in
November, and that was only for an hour (14.4 miles) instead of for 25
miles :).
[image:
http://henry.sandi.net/students/2008/wedwall/chuck/qviewer/images/photos/photos1280/37.jpg]
(I could only take pictures of my shadow!)
[image:
http://henry.sandi.net/students/2008/wedwall/chuck/qviewer/images/photos/photos0640/49.jpg]
But I could get one of myself every NOW and then, but only really like
this, grimacing in concentration trying to balance, look up, and hold
the camera right. I have bad balance compared to all you guys!

At Del Taco in Oceanside, where I put some half-fat, half-food calories
in me and filled up my bottles, I had 6 tacos and a bean/cheese
burrito, and bought 4 more tacos to stuff in my jersey pockets in case
I got hungry later. Took my sweet time, too. Probably rested a whole 40
to 50 minutes there!

Going through Oceanside and southward to Carlsbad, Encinitas, Solana
Beach, and Del Mar, the last of the flattish riding, my pace started to
fade a little bit, from the healthy 14.5-15.5 flat spin to a more
realistic 13.6-14.3mph. With stoplight deceleration and the occasional
small hill climb, this worked down to a 13.3 average for this section
of the ride, which was about 23 miles. Not blistering, but good enough
to cover some healthy ground, methinks.

By the time I got to The Hill (the hill of all hills, at least as far
as the Irvine-to-San Diego-ride is concerned), which is Torrey Pines
Road (known as Torrey Pines Grade), I was feeling pretty down, and had
gotten hungry again. I stopped at the bottom of the hill and stretched
my legs and tried to take a picture of it (which really didn't work,
see below, LOL (and that's as photoshopped-up as it gets!)), and
climbed on my uni... I thought I'd fly up it, but it hurt a LOT more
than I thought it would. I barely held 8 miles an hour up it, when I
thought I'd be cranking a healthy 10. It's about a mile and a half long
and 500ish feet of gain. (6-7ish percent grade, I think). By the top I
felt a bit lightheaded and dizzy, and I knew this was the beginning of
the end for my fast riding. Even at the top, I struggled to keep 12
miles an hour once it flattened out.
[image:
http://henry.sandi.net/students/2008/wedwall/chuck/qviewer/images/photos/photos0640/74.jpg]

After Torrey Pines Grade, you go through UCSD's campus to get to a road
called Gilman Drive, which is a long-ish, shallow descent. Problem is,
I always get lost at UCSD, so I figured I'd make it be a rest time to
get my legs and head back, and I just slowly rode around the campus
looking at all the buildings. I need a few extra miles to make it into
a 100-mile ride anyway, because it's really only 95 to my house. I
probably spent a half hour at UCSD riding around and eating my four
tacos I'd stashed in my jersey, and I eventually found my way onto
Gilman Dr. down to its intersection with Interstate 5, crossed under
the freeway and hopped on....
[image:
http://henry.sandi.net/students/2008/wedwall/chuck/qviewer/images/photos/photos0800/79.jpg]
(This is me and my uni at UCSD just after I ate the 4 extra tacos.
Yum(ck), fast food tacos kept warm by body heat and moist by
sweat!!1!oneone! (hey, it's actually not that bad!))

... the bike path through Rose Canyon that leads to Santa Fe Rd., which
takes you to Morena Blvd, which takes you to Friars Rd, which takes you
to the stadium, where you get on a road that takes you up a NASTY,
HORRIBLE, RUDE, disgusting, slap-in-the-face climb called Twain Ave.,
which takes you to Waring Rd, which takes you to Navajo Rd., which
takes you to Jackson Dr., which takes you to my street, which takes ME
to my BED! I was officially in San Diego, but BOY, I was going SLOW.
Talk about a 13mph average going on downhills all the way down Gilman
and through the canyon, and a 8-9mph average on the slight uphills
toward my house, not to mention the 4-5mph I had behind me climbing
Twain. OH, and BTW I stopped and bought two chicken sandwiches at Carls
Jr. which gave me another 25 minutes of rest time. HEHE. w00t for rest!
I take my time when I eat! (But then you get cold and regret spending
so long, because you go back out into the night and your sweat freezes
you until you warm up again, lol. You get what you pay for!). Anyway,
the last bit of my ride, I was really hurting for speed. I felt okay on
my Coker and didn't UPD, but I had almost no power to go fast at all.

I finally made it home at about 12:45 AM, and fell asleep on my bed as
soon as I touched the sheets. I did manage to wake up an hour later and
take a shower though (phew, good thing... LOL)

I think I've got a pretty good 60-65 mile Coker ride in me, but my
endurance hits the wall around 70, and I cease to be able to spin
lightly and easily while keeping balance. But heeeecck, it was a fun
ride. I wish I'd gotten to go with someone! (hint hint, ShannonG and/or
onelesscar!)

I put my ride into the Ride The Lobster // Mediterranean Uni Tour Long
Distance Effort Calculator (available at
http://www.unitours.org/Unitours/tours/MUT/Rating.aspx ), and, at 160km
with 700 meters of climbing and 500 meters of descending, it reads a
difficulty level of 375. I did do about 62 miles of the ride at night,
though, which is right about 100km, so if you add in the night riding
to the subjective section, it climbs to 609. Honestly, I don't know why
riding at night adds a whole point per kilometer; in my view, it's no
more difficult than riding at day, and it's quite peaceful. I put a
screenshot of the diff thing in here. Donno why, can't hurt I guess.

[image:
http://henry.sandi.net/students/2008/wedwall/chuck/qviewer/difficulty.gif]

Ummm, if any of you guys read all this, let me know what I can do to
get you your ten minutes back, because it was probably a waste of your
time. I see things based on how fast I go and whether it's up or down,
so, unless you're masochistic, it's gotta be pretty boring to read
about...:eek:

Oh, and this was the second ride of the two-day qualifier ride for Ride
The Lobster, and I'll probably use the majority of this post in the
writeup I submit. The "first" ride, which I did Friday night before I
left on this big one, was pretty short; it was a 17-mile round trip to
get some brake handle parts and batteries and junk from a bike shop and
to get some Fish Burritos at Rubio's (good restaurant!). Once I got
back, I went out again with friendly group of slower cyclists and hung
on for dear life on my Coker everywhere but the hills, where I could
get my retribution for being on a unicycle... hehehe. The Friday night
ride ended up being a healthy 32 Coker miles, with about 300m of
climbing. Since it was all at night, it barely pushes the difficulty
rating above 125 (to 130), so, that, combined with this century, means
I'm all good for RTL if I can get my passport! W00t, I can't wait!!

I think I did this just to prove to myself that I could do a big ride
without a geared hub. I'm super excited to get it, but all the big,
strong, fast Coker dudes did all their long rides and touring the old
way, with 1-1 drive. I know I could never bring myself to ride 100
miles with a geared hub and force myself to stay in first gear, so I
just had to do it the old way once before I "gear up" for RTL.

Edit: replaced some photos with smaller versions.

--
chuckaeronut

Cycling: It doesn't get easier; you just get faster.
Unicycling: It doesn't get easier; you just do tougher stuff.
http://www.usenet.com

Hey nice one. If I'm reading it right, you just made it in under 10
hours too (9 hours 45 right?), so you've done the 100:10:1 thing as a
bonus. And unsupported too, sounds like a proper good ride.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
http://www.usenet.com

chuckaeronut wrote:

> Ummm, if any of you guys read all this, let me know what I can do to
> get you your ten minutes back, because it was probably a waste of your
> time.

It wasn't a waste of time at all, but an interesting read. However,
since you've offered 10 minutes, maybe I'll take you up on that and ask
ask you to just stop and read something equally as long just as RTL
starts. That should give me a 10 minute head start that I'll be in
need of :)

I was about to tell you about the other thread with a roll call of
those that have completed the 100 miler... but I've just seen that
you've found that already.

See ya in Nova Scotia

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
http://www.usenet.com

Whatever you've got for me to read, let it fly. :)

Yepzors, see you at RTL!

oh, and Joe, what's 100:10:1? That doesn't fit any known grammar (at
least to me)!

--

chuckaeronut wrote:
> Whatever you've got for me to read, let it fly. :)
>
> Yepzors, see you at RTL!
>
> oh, and Joe, what's 100:10:1? That doesn't fit any known grammar (at
> least to me)!

Well congrats on the great ride and great write up/read chuckaeronut.
:D

Keep it up too also. :D
*HAZMAT*

--
Hazmat

1 WEIRD AND UNUSUAL GREEK
CYPRIOT AUSTRALIAN WHO
IS DESTINED TO BE DIFFERENT AND I WON'T STOP TILL I AM.

:D ' My kind of driving with my favourite car.'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-F_FpRBm6c) :D

:D 'Can't wait till this game is finally released.'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcuZlRC3dYM) :D
http://www.usenet.com

chuckaeronut wrote:
> Whatever you've got for me to read, let it fly. :)
>
> Yepzors, see you at RTL!
>
> oh, and Joe, what's 100:10:1? That doesn't fit any known grammar (at
> least to me)!

100 miles, 10 hours, 1 wheel. Unsupported is best.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
http://www.usenet.com

Great post!

We pre-Coker folks are hungry for this stuff. Anyway, we're much
hungrier for these slice-of-life posts than for lukewarm sweat tacos.

Thanks for posting chuckaeronut!

--
psbagumba
http://www.usenet.com

Great job! Welcome to the 100 mile club.

Riding most of it at night is impressive, only about 25% of my 100 mile
ride was at night on a cycle trail, but it was the last 25% and it was
very cold! I didn't really hit the wall on my ride, but I think that
is because I took a little bit longer and made sure to remain fueled
through bananas and energy gel. Did you have anything during the ride
that was a fast energy source?

What size cranks were you running?

I'll see you at RTL (and your KH/Schlumpf 36!!!)

--
siafirede

'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland

James = my name
'This' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout) = my myspace
http://www.usenet.com

Hey congrat's on your ride. Pretty decent pace too.

Don't forget to sign yourself into the 100mile club:
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45013d

See you at RTL

Ken

--
GizmoDuck

The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

The Monguni 2009....Unicycle Tour of Mongolia

Email me for details.
http://www.usenet.com

Heheh, on my ride, I ate that big sub, six tacos, two granola bars, a
bean/cheese burrito, and two spicy chicken sandwiches. Pretty lame diet
if you ask me. If I were more serious I'd make myself have a better
diet. :)

I was on 125mm cranks for the ride, too. Can't believe I didn't say
that, with all the other **** I said!

BTW, w00t for RTL! See you all there!

--
chuckaeronut

Cycling: It doesn't get easier; you just get faster.
Unicycling: It doesn't get easier; you just do tougher stuff.
http://www.usenet.com

Chuck man, you are crazy!

Who is on your team for RTL?

corbin

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
http://www.usenet.com

i want to do a 100 mile ride really bad but...

1. I'm the only one who unicycles that lives close to me that...
a. is a good enough rider
b. is strong enough
c. has enough stamina
2. I don't have a coker or chain guard for my GUni(homemade)
3. riding around a track is boring
4. my dad doesn't want me to go alone

if in the near future i have everything I need I may do a 100 mile
ride, but it doesn't look so good for me.

--
Tyler_N

'my latest video!' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dK_TsSoHw0)

JJtheunicycle wrote:
> If I had a nickel for every time... I would probably have 1, maybe 2
> nickels.

'*ADD ME!!*' (myspace.com/munirider)
http://www.usenet.com

Thanks for the great write up! It's good to know what a fit rider on a
good unicycle can do. This is useful for my own planning too.

Do you think the bonk after the first 100k or so could have been
avoided with different pacing or nutrition?

Good job!

--
boisei
http://www.usenet.com

Awesome!
Good Job.

Please post pictures of the tacos.

--
Bondo
http://www.usenet.com

Congratulations. That's an amazing achievement.

I still remember my first 100 mile ride... is something I have yet to
do.:eek:

--
Mikefule

I've not lost the other wheel. I invested my tricycle in Northern Rock
shares.
http://www.usenet.com

Tyler_N wrote:
> i want to do a 100 mile ride really bad but...
>
> 1. I'm the only one who unicycles that lives close to me that...
> a. is a good enough rider
> b. is strong enough
> c. has enough stamina
> 2. I don't have a coker or chain guard for my GUni(homemade)
> 3. riding around a track is boring
> 4. my dad doesn't want me to go alone
>
> if in the near future i have everything I need I may do a 100 mile
> ride, but it doesn't look so good for me.

I'd do the ride with you, but you'll need to get a real coker. Your
homemade guni is cool, but it's not reliable enough (remember the
charity event?) and you don't want it to fall apart 50 miles from home!

--
MuniAddict

'My videos:' (http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699)
http://www.usenet.com

@Tyler and Terry: You guys are both easily within 100 miles of me! We
should ride somewhere, and soon!

@boisei, yeah, I think my bonk could've been solved by me eating and
drinking more lightly (i.e. not fast food chicken junk, but powerbars
and gel and a banana or two) more consistently throughout the ride. I
was going pretty strong until the 70 mile mark, and after the hill
climb, I wasn't the same. I could still ride just fine, but not with an
"effortless" 14-15mph spin like before.

.... and @John, yeah, I complain about my PnS camera too much, I know
:], it's because I have a DSLR (EOS 40D) that would have OWNED all
those night shots. I also like the motion blur in the shadow pictures
(thanks you :)), but I was astonished that it was there, because I had
no choice! That's as fast as it would possibly get in ISO 50. (And I
only know it was ISO 50 because that's what it defaults to in
daylight). Some of the night pics are ISO 200, and the noise is just
unbearable. You get what you pay for, and carry, though! :)

Also....... I can give you a copy of everything you need to crank some
of your own photos into that viewer, if you want! If you've got
Photoshop, you're set. If not.... then, in order for others to use it,
I have to write a little program that will take your files and save new
ones at different sizes and with reflections. It just involves running
an action on your photos that save them with the right names and into
the right directories, and then you go into the index.html file and
type in the number of photos in the line of code where it's specified.
(clearly visible!). It's quite a manual, tedious process, actually, due
to the fact that you have to rename them all yourself, separate out the
vertical/horizontal photos, etc... because I specifically wanted no
back end database, and want each "photo viewer" to be statically
movable and copyable and able to be put anywhere and have it work.

I'm actually wanting to make a new photoviewer that'll be with much
better code, because this one is HACKED. It started out as a frameset
that reloaded an entirely different HTML page for each photo, and I
just changed what I needed to change, little by little, to get it like
that. I go back and look at some of the code and think "what the heck
was I THINKING!??". Hopefully when I do that I'll also streamline the
put-it-together process. Heckers, all the HTML and JS source code is in
that single HTML file! It's something like 140 kilobytes.

--
chuckaeronut

Cycling: It doesn't get easier; you just get faster.
Unicycling: It doesn't get easier; you just do tougher stuff.
http://www.usenet.com

Chuck, quite an inspiring ride. I hope to have one of my own posted
soon, though it won't be nearly as beautiful as your locale. Also, I
agree with John. That photo viewer made the experience all the more
enjoyable.

--
lpounds

Levi
http://www.usenet.com

So, what does it feel like to do 100 miles? Does it give you a feel of
accomplishment or a waste of time? I think it would be nice if did it,
but given my non-existing sport history and lack of fitness, I doubt
it...I do have my whole life ahead:D

--
Triball

Pay for you gas or loose your ID
http://www.usenet.com

Not to mention the yummy sandwich at the start....makes up for all the
trouble:rolleyes: