Super cheap roadie

"Jules" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>I wonder why we don't see this kind of thing over here...

Thanks largely to China, the cost of manufactured goods is now amazingly
low. There must be an enormous margin in bike bits and frames for the major
companies to get away with what they charge. It truly is a tribute to the
marketing skills of companies like Shimano.

lemmiwinks wrote:

> On Apr 11, 10:12 am, Jules <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > Now here's the bad boy that you REALLY want!

>> >http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3663046

>> "high-profile alloy wheels " !!
>>
>> "GMC" with "Cionilli" seat. Nice. Wonder if it runs Shameano....

> I wonder how they got grip shifters onto the drop bars!

Check the pics. They've been slid onto the bars, right up next to the stem.

Gripshift do/did make twist shifters for road bars that fitted on the end of
the bars, a bit like barcon levers. Looks a bit cludgy but they worked.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

On Apr 10, 3:34�pm, BT Humble <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 11, 8:02 am, Jules <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I wonder why we don't see this kind of thing over here...

> >http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5639919&sourceid....

> > Road bike with carbon bits, Shimano Sora bits for $250.

> > I am gobsmacked at that price!

> It does say that it's a clearance item, marked down from $477.
>
> Now here's the bad boy that you REALLY want!
>
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3663046

Gee; that's really good a little boy bike w 2" bars just for little
boy bt humble

Claude wrote:
> "Jules" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>I wonder why we don't see this kind of thing over here...
>>

> Thanks largely to China, the cost of manufactured goods is now amazingly
> low. There must be an enormous margin in bike bits and frames for the major
> companies to get away with what they charge.

The USA has always had economies of scale compared to the Australia
market, aka "we will take 80/90/100% of your production this year", plus
the competition in the USA market is so much higher. OTOH, turnover of
LBS would be higher, so lower margins needed.

> It truly is a tribute to the
> marketing skills of companies like Shimano.

They only have to market the stuff they can not flog off to the major chains

On Apr 11, 10:36 am, "PeteSig" <[email protected]> wrote:
> lemmiwinks wrote:

> >> "high-profile alloy wheels " !!

> >> "GMC" with "Cionilli" seat. Nice. Wonder if it runs Shameano....

> > I wonder how they got grip shifters onto the drop bars!

> Check the pics. They've been slid onto the bars, right up next to the stem.
>
> Gripshift do/did make twist shifters for road bars that fitted on the end of
> the bars, a bit like barcon levers. Looks a bit cludgy but they worked.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Peter
>
> ~~~ ~ _@
> ~~ ~ _- \,
> ~~ (*)/ (*)

Yeah I know, I was wondering how they got them around the corner.
I've got a Nexus 8 gripshifter and I don't think it would make the
turn without some disassembly.

TimCnospam wrote:
> On Apr 10, 3:34�pm,BTHumble <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 11, 8:02 am, Jules <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I wonder why we don't see this kind of thing over here...

> > >http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5639919&sourceid....

> > > Road bike with carbon bits, Shimano Sora bits for $250.

> > > I am gobsmacked at that price!

> > It does say that it's a clearance item, marked down from $477.

> > Now here's the bad boy that you REALLY want!

> >http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3663046

> Gee; that's really good a little boy bike w 2" bars just for little
> boybthumble

I beg your pardon?

BTH

lemmiwinks wrote:
> I wonder how they got grip shifters onto the drop bars!

I read somewhere about a similar bike (maybe the one Aldi were
selling) that had a 2-piece handlebar so that you could slip the grip
shifters on.

I don't know if it's true or not, I only ever saw them in a photo.

BTH

BT Humble wrote:
> TimCnospam wrote:

>>> It does say that it's a clearance item, marked down from $477.
>>> Now here's the bad boy that you REALLY want!
>>> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3663046

>> Gee; that's really good a little boy bike w 2" bars just for little
>> boybthumble

> I beg your pardon?
>

> BTH

It's just Bratton being his usual retarded troll self.

"Terryc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The USA has always had economies of scale compared to the Australia
> market, aka "we will take 80/90/100% of your production this year", plus
> the competition in the USA market is so much higher. OTOH, turnover of LBS
> would be higher, so lower margins needed.
>
> They only have to market the stuff they can not flog off to the major
> chains

Yeah all of that's probably true and can explain to a large extent why bikes
are cheaper in the US than they are here. But in general good bikes are
still more expensive in the US and most other markets than the technical
aspects of production and distribution would warrant. Like most 'luxury'
goods, there are big margins for the producer

Claude wrote:

> Yeah all of that's probably true and can explain to a large extent
> why bikes are cheaper in the US than they are here. But in general
> good bikes are still more expensive in the US and most other markets
> than the technical aspects of production and distribution would
> warrant. Like most 'luxury' goods, there are big margins for the
> producer

Speak to your LBS, he makes most of his income from selling and servicing
cheap sub $300 bikes. For the time and effort involved in selling a $5000
bike, it's barely worth it. He also probably sells $30,000 worth of $300
bikes for each $5000 one.

Theo

On Apr 11, 12:42 pm, BT Humble <[email protected]> wrote:
> TimCnospam wrote:

> > > It does say that it's a clearance item, marked down from $477.

> > > Now here's the bad boy that you REALLY want!

> > >http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3663046

> > Gee; that's really good a little boy bike w 2" bars just for little
> > boybthumble

> I beg your pardon?
>
> BTH

Don't feed the troll!

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Speak to your LBS, he makes most of his income from selling and servicing
> cheap sub $300 bikes. For the time and effort involved in selling a $5000
> bike, it's barely worth it. He also probably sells $30,000 worth of $300
> bikes for each $5000 one.

Not surprised the LBS doesn't get much of the cream on the higher end stuff

On Apr 11, 11:28 am, "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Speak to your LBS, he makes most of his income from selling and servicing
> cheap sub $300 bikes.

I am not sure that my LBS sells any sub $300 adult bikes. I think my
Elwood was pretty much entry level. Mind you, he probably sells a lot
more kids bikes, at $200-$250.

On Apr 11, 12:57 pm, nobody <[email protected]> wrote:
> BT Humble wrote:
> > TimCnospam wrote:

> >> Gee; that's really good a little boy bike w 2" bars just for little
> >> boybthumble

> > I beg your pardon?

> > BTH

> It's just retarded troll self.-

i did not know that retards made over $$$$$$$ a year little marty and
your fat **** robyn in a ****

BT Humble wrote:
> TimCnospam wrote:
>>
>>Gee; that's really good a little boy bike w 2" bars just for little
>>boybthumble

> I beg your pardon?
>

> BTH

Oooooo look...you've attracted a loony!!