or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Circum-Lake-ations

post #1 of 8
All,

I'm starting to compile a list of road rides around major lakes in the US. As a westerner, several
immediately spring to mind:

Lake Tahoe, OR/NV (73 miles) Clear Lake, CA (prox 70 miles) Crater Lake, OR (prox 30 miles)

Are there others -- primarily in the day-long trip range?

Thanks!

Gary Brower grb94611@yahoo.com
post #2 of 8

Re: Circum-Lake-ations

Gary R. Brower wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm starting to compile a list of road rides around major lakes in the US. As a westerner, several
> immediately spring to mind:
>
> Lake Tahoe, OR/NV (73 miles) Clear Lake, CA (prox 70 miles) Crater Lake, OR (prox 30 miles)
>
> Are there others -- primarily in the day-long trip range?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Gary Brower grb94611@yahoo.com

Lake Washington, WA (55 miles, approx.)
post #3 of 8

Re: Circum-Lake-ations

In Wisconsin, Lake Winnebago is about 80 miles, mostly urbanized on the west side, better riding on
the east side.

The Great Lakes, of course, are not day rides. My ride around Lake Michigan was about 925 miles,
almost the same around Lake Huron (shorter if you cut off the Georgian Bay, and 1300 miles around
Lake Superior. "Gary R. Brower" <gary@berkeleycanterbury.org> wrote in message
> All,
>
> I'm starting to compile a list of road rides around major lakes in the US. As a westerner, several
> immediately spring to mind:
>
> Lake Tahoe, OR/NV (73 miles) Clear Lake, CA (prox 70 miles) Crater Lake, OR (prox 30 miles)
>
> Are there others -- primarily in the day-long trip range?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Gary Brower grb94611@yahoo.com
post #4 of 8

Re: Circum-Lake-ations

"Ron Wallenfang" <roboron@execpc.com> wrote in message news:vkdn49n1g3kt1e@corp.supernews.com...
> In Wisconsin, Lake Winnebago is about 80 miles, mostly urbanized on the
west
> side, better riding on the east side.
>
> The Great Lakes, of course, are not day rides. My ride around Lake
Michigan
> was about 925 miles, almost the same around Lake Huron (shorter if you cut off the Georgian Bay,
> and 1300 miles around Lake Superior.

Ron, you might want to check out the site mentioned by another poster:

http://www.pbaa.com/Records/WorldRecords.htm#LAKES

The "record" for bicycling around Lake Michigan is listed as 67 days, 2 hrs,10 min. by Bill Mueller.

You might have already bested that record by a factor of 5 or so.
post #5 of 8

Re: Circum-Lake-ations

Those are obviously not records but just things that people posted. Our group of three did Lake
Michigan in a week in 1986, which is barely over 130 miles per day - a nice pace but hardly "record"
material. Riding alone last summer, I did Lake Huron in under 6 days, averaging 170 miles per day,
again a nice pace but only about half the pace the RAAM riders do across the whole US. I'd estimate
they could do Lake Michigan in 3 days and require that much only because of delays getting through
the urbanized area from Gary to Milwaukee and across the Mackinac Bridge.

"Mike Kruger" <MikeKr_DropThis_@aol.com> wrote in message
> "Ron Wallenfang" <roboron@execpc.com> wrote in message news:vkdn49n1g3kt1e@corp.supernews.com...
> > In Wisconsin, Lake Winnebago is about 80 miles, mostly urbanized on the
> west
> > side, better riding on the east side.
> >
> > The Great Lakes, of course, are not day rides. My ride around Lake
> Michigan
> > was about 925 miles, almost the same around Lake Huron (shorter if you
cut
> > off the Georgian Bay, and 1300 miles around Lake Superior.
>
> Ron, you might want to check out the site mentioned by another poster:
>
> http://www.pbaa.com/Records/WorldRecords.htm#LAKES
>
> The "record" for bicycling around Lake Michigan is listed as 67 days, 2 hrs,10 min. by Bill
> Mueller.
>
> You might have already bested that record by a factor of 5 or so.
post #6 of 8

Re: Circum-Lake-ations

<moonshdw@xmissionz.com> wrote in message news:bpje99$g73$1@terabinaries.xmission.com...
> Gary R. Brower <gary@berkeleycanterbury.org> wrote:
>
> > I'm starting to compile a list of road rides around major lakes in the
US.
> > As a westerner, several immediately spring to mind:
>
> Lake Tahoe, OR/NV (73 miles) Clear Lake, CA (prox 70 miles) Crater Lake, OR (prox 30 miles)

The ride around Lake Washington is very popular around here. The whole thing can be done in what, 70
miles or so. There's a floating bridge across the middle with a bike trail, so you can do just half
the lake, or do a figure 8 style ride for more miles.

I also have ridden around Lake Sammamish many times. That loop is what -- about 30 miles?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com

Home of the meditative cyclist: http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky
post #7 of 8

Re: Circum-Lake-ations

What about Flathead Lake in western Montana? I've been around most of it in a car -- the road on the
west side looks good for riding, although the frequency of roadside crosses (sites of fatal
accidents) is disconcerting on what doesn't appear to be a dangerous road, and there's a local
bumpersticker that says, "Pray for me, I drive [Highway] 93." The road on the east side looks less
suitable, with narrow or no shoulders and sometimes heavy traffic. Any experiences on that
circum-lake-ation?

--
Michael Fuhr http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/
post #8 of 8

Re: Circum-Lake-ations

Do Lakes Superior, Michigan and Huron count as "major lakes"? They are all bikeable. Even I managed
it. Superior is easily the most difficult of the three, besides being the longest. (1300 plus miles
vs 925 for Michigan and 850 for Huron - less if you cut off the Georgian Bay.) Hills, a few marginal
stretches of road with heavy truck traffic, and frequent long distances between towns and services
(e.g. there are significant areas where no cell phone service is available.) all contribute to this
conclusion.

<moonshdw@xmissionz.com> wrote in message news:bpje99$g73$1@terabinaries.xmission.com...
> Gary R. Brower <gary@berkeleycanterbury.org> wrote:
>
> > I'm starting to compile a list of road rides around major lakes in the
US.
> > As a westerner, several immediately spring to mind:
>
> > Lake Tahoe, OR/NV (73 miles) Clear Lake, CA (prox 70 miles) Crater Lake, OR (prox 30 miles)
>
> Bear Lake, on the Utah/Idaho border, is delightful. In summer, that
> is.
>
> Bill

> | Nonspammers please remove the "z" from address above to reply. |
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: rec.bicycles.rides archive
This thread is locked