Quick fix for cranks and good ones to buy?

surndr

Guest
The explenation:
My mom took my unicycle to her class about four weeks ago and i guess
they took it apart a bit (it is a kids mechanical type class) i checked
it out when i got it back and it seemed fine so i have been riding it
with 0 issues.But lately i have been hearing a clicking sound and was
dumb enough to ignore :mad: it thinking it had to do with a new tire.
anyhow one pedal had been re-screwed and over tightened so now my crank
is shot it is a Torker LX 24" we went camping yesterday so i started to
muni and then my pedal fell out proving that the crank is truly toast (
i saw it was crooked but tightened it straight before riding thinking
it had just come unscrewed).
the question(s):
is there anyway to fix it temporarily? and what type of cranks should i
buy i want to get good ones but do not want to spend tons of money.?

My mom is willing to pay half because it is half her fault that it is
ruined. I am going to camp i a week and a half for the summer so i need
something that will last at least till i get back and possible buy a
new uni any help would be nice:D

p.s. i learned my lesson if it make a noise something is wrong:(

--
surndr

Am I supposed to say something amazing here ?

surndr wrote:
> The explenation:
> My mom took my unicycle to her class about four weeks ago and i guess
> they took it apart a bit (it is a kids mechanical type class) i checked
> it out when i got it back and it seemed fine so i have been riding it
> with 0 issues.But lately i have been hearing a clicking sound and was
> dumb enough to ignore :mad: it thinking it had to do with a new tire.
> anyhow one pedal had been re-screwed and over tightened so now my crank
> is shot it is a Torker LX 24" we went camping yesterday so i started to
> muni and then my pedal fell out proving that the crank is truly toast (
> i saw it was crooked but tightened it straight before riding thinking
> it had just come unscrewed).
> the question(s):
> is there anyway to fix it temporarily? and what type of cranks should i
> buy i want to get good ones but do not want to spend tons of money.?
>
> My mom is willing to pay half because it is half her fault that it is
> ruined. I am going to camp i a week and a half for the summer so i need
> something that will last at least till i get back and possible buy a
> new uni any help would be nice:D
>
> p.s. i learned my lesson if it make a noise something is wrong:(

Well a kris holm wheel crank and hub would be the best, but that costs
a lot too..
Is the hub broken or just the crank, and, are you sure? on my old
unicycle i bought new cranks and it turned out to be the hub that was
broken!
(the hub is the thing between the cranks holding the spokes right?) :eek:

--
sigve

*Mikey sier (10:51):
I imagined a sponsor sending you a new uni and a plastic penis

MyTrial Video: **-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oam57UuE43U-*

You may as well get a whole new unicycle as then you will be able to
trust that it won't break.

The 'nimbus ISIS 24'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1050) is one of the
best out there and is cheap in comparison to the other top level Munis.

--
jamessd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCsb3y-YOSk
Add me, but tel me who you are :p:
[email protected]

Kieron wrote:
> I tell u wat they would have to be a very commited pedo to learn to ride
> a unicycle in order to mingle with us, steel one of us and rape us in a
> bush.

it is the crank what happened is some kid overtightened the pedal so
much that it shredded the threads, but because it was so nice and
"tight" i unwittingly kept riding every day and so the crank is truly
dead, it it almost smooth inside :(

--
surndr

Am I supposed to say something amazing here ?

dude, get a wheelset, or a new unicycle, the nimbus 24" isis that
jamessd talked about is after what i've heard, great, and the kh 24" is
of course awesome, but anything KH and K1 costs a lot.. :(

--

surndr wrote:
> Torker LX 24"

LX isn't splined, is it?

If it isn't, new square taper cranks are 12 bucks at UDC
Shipping shouldn't be too bad if you really are in Alabama, I think
they're based in Georgia.

--
hobo_chuck

-"If there's one thing I would like to be remembered for it would be for
passion and enthusiasm. Conservation is my job, my life, my whole
being"-
*~Steve Irwin*
*The revolution has already begun.*

yeah i want to get the nimbus at the end of the summer right now i am
short on $$ because i just bought a car so i am hoping after my job
ends this summer i can get one...

i am thinking about just getting replacements because it only takes
like two days to get here, i will probably end up doing that and then
getting a new unicycle at the end of the summer

--
surndr

Am I supposed to say something amazing here ?

Buy em from the home page of this site to help cover the costs of
running Unicyclist.community

--

surndr wrote:
> yeah i want to get the nimbus at the end of the summer right now i am
> short on $$ because i just bought a car so i am hoping after my job
> ends this summer i can get one...
>
> i am thinking about just getting replacements because it only takes
> like two days to get here, i will probably end up doing that and then
> getting a new unicycle at the end of the summer

Nimbus X isis 20" is awesome, I have one.
'course, if you'll be doing mostly MUni then the 24" is the way to go.

--

hobo_chuck wrote:
> Buy em from the home page of this site to help cover the costs of
> running Unicyclist.community

will do thanks i did not know that :)

--

surndr wrote:
> so the crank is truly dead, it it almost smooth inside :(

I can totally relate to that, since that is the condition of my
unicycle right now! I'm trying to clean the remains of the crank out
of the pedal threads right now. Does anyone know an easy way to do
that, so I can still use the pedal? :)

--
Universal Unicorn

placeholder for signature

Why not just order new cranks ' from udc'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=860) You'll be rollin
again in 4 days.

I think 152mm are the std size for 24" wheel.

Why won't your mom pay all? you would not have had this problem if her
class didn't mess things up.

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken

I've been flying.......

use an old toothbrush, twig or something of that nature, my dad cleaned
my pedal off by banging it with a wrench so the slivers came off. just
be careful of the bits of metal or you will stab yourself (like my dad
did)

--

Chrashing wrote:
> Why not just order new cranks ' from udc'
> (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=860) You'll be rollin
> again in 4 days.
>
> I think 152mm are the std size for 24" wheel.
>
> Why won't your mom pay all? you would not have had this problem if her
> class didn't mess things up.

only one cranks is messed up she is hoping that the bike shop will just
sell one. i don't blame her i just want it fixed because all i can to
is wheel walk and i am bored !:mad: :p that and i am going away
soon, and school is out so i can ride all day once i fix it

--

surndr wrote:
> only one cranks is messed up she is hoping that the bike shop will just
> sell one. i don't blame her i just want it fixed because all i can to
> is wheel walk and i am bored !:mad: :p that and i am going away
> soon, and school is out so i can ride all day once i fix it

Call up UDC and see if they have an extra of one side;)

Chrashing, I beat you to it

--
hobo_chuck

-"If there's one thing I would like to be remembered for it would be for
passion and enthusiasm. Conservation is my job, my life, my whole
being"-
*~Steve Irwin*
*The revolution has already begun.*

'Prowheel' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=847)
Are you sure that maybee they put the pedals on backwards? Pedals are
marked R & L. The right pedal tightens clockwise and the left, counter
clockwise. If that is the case your cranks are still toast but may las
a bit longer if put on properly. Also, make sure the cranks are on
tight. I use 45 ft.lbs. w/ blue loctight.

So you can still ride while you'r waiting for your new cranks, try
putting them on w/ blue Loctite. Clean the treads first w/ rubbing
alcohol. If that doesn't work, reclean the threads and use red
loctite. Be wearry of the red as it's "permanant" (not enough to keep
my cranks on where the thread hadn't been cleaned though). I'd let it
sit overnight before riding it to let the loctite set.

Never ride w/ anything loose, and if something is making noise, make
sure it's benign. (Some splined cranks squeek a lot.)

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'

skilewis74 wrote:

> Never ride w/ anything loose, and if something is making noise, make
> sure it's benign. (Some splined cranks squeek a lot.)

My pedals click once or twice a rev if I've been hopping a lot :D

EDIT: Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to have a spare crank either, eh?

--
hobo_chuck

-"If there's one thing I would like to be remembered for it would be for
passion and enthusiasm. Conservation is my job, my life, my whole
being"-
*~Steve Irwin*
*The revolution has already begun.*

I use 45 ft.lbs. w/ blue loctight.

Never ride w/ anything loose, and if something is making noise, make
sure it's benign. (Some splined cranks squeek a lot.)

what is loctight glue? and yeah i learned my lesson about the noises. are
the cranks you linked to good ones (they are cheap to buy) ? if so i
might get those

--

surndr wrote:
> I use 45 ft.lbs. w/ blue loctight.
>
> Never ride w/ anything loose, and if something is making noise, make
> sure it's benign. (Some splined cranks squeek a lot.)

> what is loctight glue? and yeah i learned my lesson about the noises.
> are the cranks you linked to good ones (they are cheap to buy) ? if so
> i might get those

I never use loctight, but it is true that I spend a lot of time
tightening things up, mostly the bearing housings because I prefer
those on the loose side. Spokes also when I'm truing the wheel. [I like
those tight though :)]

Regarding those cranks, they are designed for lightness/minor flatland
and have a disclaimer at the bottom of the page.

If you get the same cranks as your old ones they are only $3 more and
you'll have a spare.

--

hobo_chuck wrote:

> Regarding those cranks, they are designed for lightness/minor flatland
> and have a disclaimer at the bottom of the page.
>
> If you get the same cranks as your old ones they are only $3 more and
> you'll have a spare.

i have yet to get to more than rolling hops/drops so i am not to
worried but i am trying to learn hopping so i will consult my
higher-ups (parents) and go from there :D