Why Is the Supply of Idiot Mountain Bikers ENDLESS?

Mike Vandeman

Guest
From: oliver hallett <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Mountain biking bad????
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 19:56:35 +0000

Dear Michael...

I have just been reading a few of your papers on mountain biking and
thought i'd give you a perspective from over the pond in GREAT
Britain. Over here mountain biking is viewed in a very positive light
for many reasons, some of which i will list below:

1: Since the bottom fell out of the timber industry in the UK land
owned by the forestry commission (an organization under the government
given the job of preserving the forests and woodlands) has undergone a
radical change. in order to sustain the forests recreation took over
as the main form of income and as a result, arguably saved the forests
of great Britain. the biggest sector tapped into... Mountain biking!
2: as a result of this local economy diversified and many villages and
regions are not only grateful for the sport but actively encourage it.
It has singlehandedly saved several small rural villages and
estates... and continues to sustain them.
3: Mountainbiking is encouraged in children as it is not only a very
healthy activity, but possesses strong role models away from other
sports which are more money orientated. Athletics or Road cycling are
rife with drug taking and cheating, and the national sport of football
suffers from an 'anything you can get' attitude from the players who
regularly throw themselves to the ground in hope of claiming a foul
when in fact the opposition player has not even touched them
4: Mountainbiking helps to promote a great sense of national pride,
especially in the discipline of Downhill racing. we have many top
athletes which for a country of our size is rare and something to be
immensely proud of.
5: Carefully managed Mountain biking does not damage woodland as it is
done on carefully created tracks that work with the environment not
against it and provides all of the above to the country as a whole.

Whilst this may be very different across the pond, over here mountain
biking is very strongly regarded as a good thing, Although i must
agree with you on the points of using hiking tracks is something to be
frowned upon.

Now we get to a personal critic: Although i do not doubt your
qualifications i found your work on the psychology of mountain biking
more than a little biased. It is not only amateurish but also lacking
in research or mathematics... something you claim to be very highly
qualified in. i see no research figures or facts and find it
opinionated and wholly unprofessional to the point of me inwardly
questioning your qualifications. as a final straw you constantly refer
to yourself in the first person... something that you would fail high
school for in the UK let alone degree level where you would be laughed
at for such a basic error.

You believe that because you don't enjoy something that others
shouldn't be allowed to do it... this again makes you look short
sighted, unintelligent, and yet again amateurish. it is an opinion...
if i was to make the same assumption then i would firmly believe that
folk who eat spicy food are bazaar and somehow beneath me... a
ludicrous conclusion that no one with an ounce of intelligence would
take seriously.

in the end Michael... due to the above i can only assume you are a man
with a chip on your shoulder who only wishes to rant at people whilst
providing no real or concrete arguments. my advice would be to do a
serious open minded study of the impact of mountain biking on the
environment and economy, with tables of figures and results for
everyone to look at and make a personal conclusion from.

i hope that your future work will allow me to take you seriously

yours sincerely

Oliver Hallett

Get 5GB of online storage for free! Get it Now!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande