Re: New Upgrades - Nimbus Stealth Pro Rim + 14g SS Spokes

unicyclist.ca

Guest
rob.northcott wrote:
> I built up my 36er today and weighed all the parts as I swapped them
> over. The new wheel has saved *a lot* more weight than I guessed. For
> anyone who's interested:
>
> Old wheel (Qu-Ax steel rim, 12-gauge spokes, UDC extra wide hub):
> 3125g
> New wheel (Stealth Pro rim, 14-gauge spokes, Nimbus ISIS hub): 2155g
>
> Old cranks (steel): 685g
> New cranks (Qu-Ax aluminium): 325g
>
> Tyre (TA with about 2000 miles use): 1990g
>
> Frame/saddle/seatpost/brake (Qu-Ax steel / KH Fusion / UDC 22.2 steel /
> bmx calliper with Tektro lever on steel bar end): 2670g
>
> Forgot to weigh the pedals. They're just standard DMR V8s (with pedal
> protectors at the moment).
>
> Overall saving: 1330g, more than twice (almost three times) my guess,
> and all from the wheel.
>
> I'm now starting to think I should save some weight from the saddle
> foam and bar end (it's a REALLY heavy cheap steel one, but swapping it
> for a light one wouldn't really make that much difference - I'll
> probably cut the foam down a bit though and flatten the profile
> slightly while I'm at it).
>
> I haven't ridden it yet - might ride it to work tomorrow.
>
> Here are a couple of pics of the complete machine (sorry about the
> quality - it was raining and the light was a bit funny):
>
> Rob

Was the old one 48 spoke?

--
unicyclist.ca

http://www.Unicyclist.ca

I rode the new wheel to work today. Not at all sure if I like the 125mm
cranks (I've always used 150s before) and because of that it took me 10
minutes longer than usual, but apart from that it's nice. I'll give it
a bit longer to get used to the 125s, but I think there might be a bit
too much cross-country on my route for those cranks - they're OK on the
road (although my top speed went down from 15.5 to 14.5mph because it
felt so unstable, but hopefully that will improve as I get used to
them), but on the gravel and grass on the moor they're really quite
nasty. I had to walk one stoney downhill section that I normally ride.
And I missed every other freemount :( But it's the first time I've
ridden a coker on anything other than 150s, so I'll give it a chance.
I've got a pair of 145s as well, so I may end up using those for my
commute and keeping the 125s for pure road riding.

Rob

EDIT:

unicyclist.ca wrote:
> Was the old one 48 spoke?

No, 36. Qu-Ax made an exact rip-off of the original Coker with 36 hole
steel rim..

--
rob.northcott