or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Bikes › Road Cycling › Re: OT: joining the ranks of two wheelers again
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Re: OT: joining the ranks of two wheelers again - Page 2

post #16 of 442

Re: OT: joining the ranks of two wheelers again

Brent P wrote:
> In article <mf-dnVjhHMkvMAbbnZ2dnUVZ_hOdnZ2d@comcast.com>, Peter Cole wrote:
>
>> Oh, get over yourself. Nobody takes those laws seriously other than a
>> priggish, sanctimonious minority of bike riders. Live large, what are
>> they going to do, revoke your license? Heh.

>
> I obey the vehicle code to the letter when bicycling. Why? A few reasons.
>
> 1) I don't want to give a motorist any excuses. If he screws with me,
> hurts me, whatever there is nothing I did wrong in any shape or form.


Pretty vague. If you're talking about assault, I don't think a ROW
technicality will get them off the hook.

>
> 2) When a cop decides to hassle me, I know he has no legal grounds to do
> anything to me.


Never has had any affect on cop hassles that I've had.

>
> 3) Nothing pisses off a bicyclist hating motorist that following the
> vehicle code to the letter. They'll scream about bicycle riders breaking
> the law, but when it comes down to it they don't want to wait in the
> queue behind one, they don't want to be forced to respect one as a
> vehicle, etc and so forth. And because it is to the letter of the law, he
> either has to deal with it or become a law breaker himself.


Most motorists are completely clueless about the law, most cops, too.
While many/most jurisdictions lump cyclists with motorists as
"vehicles", it's more of a convenience than anything else. Generally the
fines are trivial and enforcement is spotty to non existent. All as it
should be, it's a victim-less crime. I don't see why I should wait
behind a line of cars -- I'll go left or right, on the sidewalk if need
be -- if I had to "drive" like a car, I'd just drive a car.
post #17 of 442

Re: OT: joining the ranks of two wheelers again

pjhartman@gmail.com wrote:
> On Jul 15, 3:41 pm, tkeats2...@hotmail.com (Tom Keats) wrote:
>> In article <Odumi.7354$rR.1...@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
>> Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS <xeton2...@yahoo.com> writes:

>
>> What you /will/ experience is socially inept drivers who
>> think they can haul-up beside you on the stop lines, instead
>> of queueing in an orderly manner behind you, as they would
>> for any other vehicle -- and then hang a right turn from your
>> left side, right in front of you as you try to go straight.

>
> Last week I had the opposite experience. I'm riding a motorcycle, and
> am stopped in the right hand lane of a multilane intersection, with my
> right turn signal blinking, indicating my intention to turn right once
> the "NO RIGHT TURNS" light goes off (which will be in concert with my
> green.)
>
> A bicyclist threads his way forward along the right hand side of the
> queue, next to the curb, until he is parallel to me at the right side
> of my lane. As the light goes green, this dip**** proceeds STRAIGHT
> across the intersection, directly crossing my intended turn line.
>
> I shoulda taken out his rear tire just for spite, and next time he
> tries it, I will.
>
>
>


He was probably just trying to follow the law as he understood it (bikes
stay as far to the right as possible). Maybe you should have maimed him
to straighten him out.

Personally, I would have just gone to the left of you and straight
through the red.

Speaking of motorcycles, how come the noise laws are never enforced. I'm
forever getting my ears rung by some old fat guy with open pipes.
post #18 of 442

Re: OT: joining the ranks of two wheelers again

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 15:30:07 -0400, Peter Cole wrote:

> I'm not "driving". That's the whole point.


You're operating a vehicle on the public rights-of-way. You might be
lighter, more efficient, and more ecologically sound, but you're still
"driving," as far as the statute applies to you.

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com
post #19 of 442

Re: OT: joining the ranks of two wheelers again

Brent P wrote:
> In article <1184610506.082144.138990@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com>, pjhartman@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> A bicyclist threads his way forward along the right hand side of the
>> queue, next to the curb, until he is parallel to me at the right side
>> of my lane. As the light goes green, this dip**** proceeds STRAIGHT
>> across the intersection, directly crossing my intended turn line.

>
> When bicycling I've been waiting my turn in the queue when some dufus on
> a bicycle will gutter pass his way to the front. Of course these people
> aren't the type to take off fast either... Some run the red on top of it.
> I find gutter passing bad form wether I'm biking or driving. Although I
> was forced into a gutter pass mid block the other day. Traffic was stop
> and go, so I left a gap between myself and the car in front of me on a go
> phase. This woman decides to take that space just as the stop phase
> begins, now I have no following distance and they (driver and
> passenger) yelled 'get on the sidewalk' after cutting me off... instead
> of locking up the brakes I just moved right and sailed past them to stop
> where I would have had they not cut me off.
>
>
>
>
>

Just pass the whole line on the left -- much faster, usually safer.
post #20 of 442

Re: OT: joining the ranks of two wheelers again

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:18:49 -0500, tetraethylleadREMOVETHIS@yahoo.com
(Brent P) wrote:

>In article <1184610506.082144.138990@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com>, pjhartman@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> A bicyclist threads his way forward along the right hand side of the
>> queue, next to the curb, until he is parallel to me at the right side
>> of my lane. As the light goes green, this dip**** proceeds STRAIGHT
>> across the intersection, directly crossing my intended turn line.


Forcing you to wait a whole three seconds.

>
>When bicycling I've been waiting my turn in the queue when some dufus on
>a bicycle will gutter pass his way to the front. Of course these people
>aren't the type to take off fast either... Some run the red on top of it.
>I find gutter passing bad form wether I'm biking or driving. Although I
>was forced into a gutter pass mid block the other day. Traffic was stop
>and go, so I left a gap between myself and the car in front of me on a go
>phase. This woman decides to take that space just as the stop phase
>begins, now I have no following distance and they (driver and
>passenger) yelled 'get on the sidewalk' after cutting me off... instead
>of locking up the brakes I just moved right and sailed past them to stop
>where I would have had they not cut me off.
>
>
>
>


Bikes actually wait in lines of cars? How odd. I don't think that I've
ever seen anyone do that.

I thread my way to the front, and if the right front car is turning
(which can often be deduced by either a turn signal or the way the
front wheels are pointing), I wait on the left of that car for the
light to change.

This way I can get to work in my normal hour and twenty minutes (15
miles). If I actually waited in line at every light (thus pissing off
the car behind me who wants to go fast when the light changes) I would
be unable to commute by bike. 1.20 is about the maximum amount of time
I can spend biking each way. I also go through red lights (looking
carefully to make sure I don't cause an accident with myself in the
middle).
post #21 of 442

Re: OT: joining the ranks of two wheelers again

On Jul 16, 1:56 pm, tetraethylleadREMOVET...@yahoo.com (Brent P)
wrote:
> In article <mf-dnVjhHMkvMAbbnZ2dnUVZ_hOdn...@comcast.com>, Peter Cole wrote:
> > Oh, get over yourself. Nobody takes those laws seriously other than a
> > priggish, sanctimonious minority of bike riders. Live large, what are
> > they going to do, revoke your license? Heh.


They could certainly ticket a cyclist. It happens.

> I obey the vehicle code to the letter when bicycling. Why? A few reasons.
>
> 1) I don't want to give a motorist any excuses. If he screws with me,
> hurts me, whatever there is nothing I did wrong in any shape or form.
>
> 2) When a cop decides to hassle me, I know he has no legal grounds to do
> anything to me.
>
> 3) Nothing pisses off a bicyclist hating motorist that following the
> vehicle code to the letter.


I guess there was a time I followed the laws to the letter, but I've
relaxed a bit about stop signs now. I don't necessarily do the mini-
track-stand I used to. Some I take at about 5 mph.

But understand, I'm talking about stop signs where there's perfect
visibility and absolutely nobody else to stop for - in fact, nobody
else in sight. These occur in many suburban neighborhoods, and at
quiet intersections out in the country. Even then, I'll put on a
show, by slowing and conspicuously looking both ways. That's in case
someone is watching. If there is

Overall, my cycling behavior is better than most motorists'
behavior.

And for those car fans complaining about bicyclists flouting the law:
I live across the street from a stop sign in a residential
neighborhood. I estimate that less than 2/3 of the motorists actually
stop. The rest roll through, with some going through at over 15 mph,
by my guess.

Hell, I've been stopped at a red light on my bike, and had a motorist
pull up along side, look both ways, and run the red.

And those 3000 pound vehicles are much more deadly than a 30 pound
bike. Those operators need to be held to a higher standard.

- Frank Krygowski
post #22 of 442

Re: OT: joining the ranks of two wheelers again

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 15:30:07 -0400, Peter Cole wrote:
>
>> I'm not "driving". That's the whole point.

>
> You're operating a vehicle on the public rights-of-way. You might be
> lighter, more efficient, and more ecologically sound, but you're still
> "driving," as far as the statute applies to you.
>


No you're not, you're riding a bike.
post #23 of 442

Re: OT: joining the ranks of two wheelers again

dgk wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:18:49 -0500, tetraethylleadREMOVETHIS@yahoo.com
> (Brent P) wrote:
>
>> In article <1184610506.082144.138990@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com>, pjhartman@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> A bicyclist threads his way forward along the right hand side of the
>>> queue, next to the curb, until he is parallel to me at the right side
>>> of my lane. As the light goes green, this dip**** proceeds STRAIGHT
>>> across the intersection, directly crossing my intended turn line.

>
> Forcing you to wait a whole three seconds.
>
>> When bicycling I've been waiting my turn in the queue when some dufus on
>> a bicycle will gutter pass his way to the front. Of course these people
>> aren't the type to take off fast either... Some run the red on top of it.
>> I find gutter passing bad form wether I'm biking or driving. Although I
>> was forced into a gutter pass mid block the other day. Traffic was stop
>> and go, so I left a gap between myself and the car in front of me on a go
>> phase. This woman decides to take that space just as the stop phase
>> begins, now I have no following distance and they (driver and
>> passenger) yelled 'get on the sidewalk' after cutting me off... instead
>> of locking up the brakes I just moved right and sailed past them to stop
>> where I would have had they not cut me off.
>>
>>
>>
>>

>
> Bikes actually wait in lines of cars? How odd. I don't think that I've
> ever seen anyone do that.
>


I used to do that where cars doubled up leaving no room by the curb.
Long ago I discovered it was faster and safer just to pass everybody on
the left in those circumstances. It also seems to piss off fewer
motorists (the only negative I can think of).

> I thread my way to the front, and if the right front car is turning
> (which can often be deduced by either a turn signal or the way the
> front wheels are pointing), I wait on the left of that car for the
> light to change.
>
> This way I can get to work in my normal hour and twenty minutes (15
> miles). If I actually waited in line at every light (thus pissing off
> the car behind me who wants to go fast when the light changes) I would
> be unable to commute by bike. 1.20 is about the maximum amount of time
> I can spend biking each way. I also go through red lights (looking
> carefully to make sure I don't cause an accident with myself in the
> middle).


Sure, it's only common sense. Why even bother to ride a bike otherwise?
Around here (MA) we didn't historically have "right on red". Because of
federal funding & standardization, blah, blah, they were forced to
change a few years back. The law was pretty arbitrary, didn't come down
from the mtns, or anything. Cars are supposed to stop for ROR, but
rarely do. I don't think it makes any sense for bikes to bother with it
at all.

I never bother to slow down, never mind stop, for right turns or "T"
intersections -- why go to the trouble? You're not actually taking up a
lane. Otherwise I treat reds like stops (pause, look & go), and stops
like yields (slow & go). My bike's heavy, but not 2 tons and I'm strong,
but not 200hp.
post #24 of 442

Re: OT: joining the ranks of two wheelers again

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:02:56 -0400, Peter Cole wrote:


> No you're not, you're riding a bike.


Take your chances with the court. If you lose, try it on appeal, if
you get that far.


--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com
post #25 of 442

Re: OT: joining the ranks of two wheelers again

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 15:47:20 -0400, Peter Cole wrote:

> Just pass the whole line on the left -- much faster, usually safer.


For once we agree.


--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com
post #26 of 442

Re: OT: joining the ranks of two wheelers again

In article <wa-dnUXUbqHuVAbbnZ2dnUVZ_o-3nZ2d@comcast.com>, Peter Cole wrote:
> Brent P wrote:
>> In article <mf-dnVjhHMkvMAbbnZ2dnUVZ_hOdnZ2d@comcast.com>, Peter Cole wrote:
>>
>>> Oh, get over yourself. Nobody takes those laws seriously other than a
>>> priggish, sanctimonious minority of bike riders. Live large, what are
>>> they going to do, revoke your license? Heh.

>>
>> I obey the vehicle code to the letter when bicycling. Why? A few reasons.
>>
>> 1) I don't want to give a motorist any excuses. If he screws with me,
>> hurts me, whatever there is nothing I did wrong in any shape or form.

>
> Pretty vague. If you're talking about assault, I don't think a ROW
> technicality will get them off the hook.


No, I am talking 'he got hit cause he ran the red light' or such other
excuse they can come up with to make it an accident.

>> 2) When a cop decides to hassle me, I know he has no legal grounds to do
>> anything to me.


> Never has had any affect on cop hassles that I've had.


I have had a few. In each case except one where I wasn't into standing
up to them as I am now, they ended up backing down because I
knew the law and their charges would look silly in front of a judge...

>> 3) Nothing pisses off a bicyclist hating motorist that following the
>> vehicle code to the letter. They'll scream about bicycle riders breaking
>> the law, but when it comes down to it they don't want to wait in the
>> queue behind one, they don't want to be forced to respect one as a
>> vehicle, etc and so forth. And because it is to the letter of the law, he
>> either has to deal with it or become a law breaker himself.


> Most motorists are completely clueless about the law, most cops, too.


True.

> While many/most jurisdictions lump cyclists with motorists as
> "vehicles", it's more of a convenience than anything else. Generally the
> fines are trivial and enforcement is spotty to non existent. All as it
> should be, it's a victim-less crime. I don't see why I should wait
> behind a line of cars -- I'll go left or right, on the sidewalk if need
> be -- if I had to "drive" like a car, I'd just drive a car.


You haven't lived until you've made a driver angry by preventing him from
kissing up his front bumper to the rear bumper of a car in front of you.
post #27 of 442

Re: OT: joining the ranks of two wheelers again

In article <4MidnVBYRt3VVgbbnZ2dnUVZ_q7inZ2d@comcast.com>, Peter Cole wrote:
> Brent P wrote:
>> In article <1184610506.082144.138990@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com>, pjhartman@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> A bicyclist threads his way forward along the right hand side of the
>>> queue, next to the curb, until he is parallel to me at the right side
>>> of my lane. As the light goes green, this dip**** proceeds STRAIGHT
>>> across the intersection, directly crossing my intended turn line.

>>
>> When bicycling I've been waiting my turn in the queue when some dufus on
>> a bicycle will gutter pass his way to the front. Of course these people
>> aren't the type to take off fast either... Some run the red on top of it.
>> I find gutter passing bad form wether I'm biking or driving. Although I
>> was forced into a gutter pass mid block the other day. Traffic was stop
>> and go, so I left a gap between myself and the car in front of me on a go
>> phase. This woman decides to take that space just as the stop phase
>> begins, now I have no following distance and they (driver and
>> passenger) yelled 'get on the sidewalk' after cutting me off... instead
>> of locking up the brakes I just moved right and sailed past them to stop
>> where I would have had they not cut me off.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>

> Just pass the whole line on the left -- much faster, usually safer.


When legal, I do. Did that friday when a residential road I use had a
mile+ backup.
post #28 of 442

Re: OT: joining the ranks of two wheelers again

dgk wrote:

> Bikes actually wait in lines of cars? How odd. I don't think that I've
> ever seen anyone do that.


I do.

> I thread my way to the front, and if the right front car is turning
> (which can often be deduced by either a turn signal or the way the
> front wheels are pointing), I wait on the left of that car for the
> light to change.


And the driver may not see you if he decides to change lanes for
whatever reason. Riding like one drives is much safer.

> This way I can get to work in my normal hour and twenty minutes (15
> miles). If I actually waited in line at every light (thus pissing off
> the car behind me who wants to go fast when the light changes)


I'm on a mountain bike, I'm overweight, yet I'm still capable of keeping
up with traffic when it starts moving after the light changes (at least
up to 20 mph. If cars want to go fast, then they can change lanes, or
pass you after you clear the intersection.

> I also go through red lights


The law doesn't make exemptions for cyclists regarding traffic lights.
IMO, if you don't typically run red lights while driving, you certainly
shouldn't do it while riding.
post #29 of 442

Re: OT: joining the ranks of two wheelers again

In article <mjin93h1guj5fhkpp4f71cabrbggnhho84@4ax.com>, dgk wrote:

> Bikes actually wait in lines of cars? How odd. I don't think that I've
> ever seen anyone do that.


I don't like gutter passers and other sorts of illegal lane usage so I
don't do them.

> I thread my way to the front, and if the right front car is turning
> (which can often be deduced by either a turn signal or the way the
> front wheels are pointing), I wait on the left of that car for the
> light to change.


If I were driving I would find that behavior irritating, needing to pass
a bicyclist multiple times because he threaded up to the front of a
queue. Because I would find it irritating, I don't do it myself when
biking. When I've encountered bicyclists like this, I don't pass them
with a full lane the second time. The third time I make NO effort to give
them space.

> This way I can get to work in my normal hour and twenty minutes (15
> miles). If I actually waited in line at every light (thus pissing off
> the car behind me who wants to go fast when the light changes)


I out accelerate most cars (as typically driven) from a dead stop. If they
are going to need to pass me, it will be when they catch up to me
becausewhich is usually no closer than the far side of the intersection
and sometimes a couple of blocks. It's the car in front of me that
slows me down, driving or biking.
post #30 of 442

Re: OT: joining the ranks of two wheelers again

Arif Khokar wrote:
> dgk wrote:


>> I also go through red lights

>
> The law doesn't make exemptions for cyclists regarding traffic lights.
> IMO, if you don't typically run red lights while driving, you certainly
> shouldn't do it while riding.


The law may not make "exemptions", but the penalties are completely
different. If you're a moral absolutist then you may argue that wrong is
wrong, but to me, it's a gray area. My experience is that it's often
safer and less obtrusive to traffic for cyclists to be flexible with the
law. YMMV. In any case, I'll risk the rare $20 ticket on a bike, but not
the much more expensive one with a car -- not to mention that I consider
the car infraction to be reckless to the safety of others, while biking
only endangers my own skin -- which I'll take full responsibility for,
thank you very much.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Road Cycling
Cycling Forums › Forums › Bikes › Road Cycling › Re: OT: joining the ranks of two wheelers again