or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

sunburned lips

post #1 of 6
A year ago I sunburned my lips pretty bad on STP. So this year I slathered
them in spf 15 lip balm, and sunburned them on STP again, only not as bad.
They're still sore and swollen. Any recommedations for something stronger,
for those long summer centuries, that doesn't taste awful?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
post #2 of 6

Re: sunburned lips

"Claire Petersky" <cpetersky@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message
>A year ago I sunburned my lips pretty bad on STP. So this year I slathered
>them in spf 15 lip balm, and sunburned them on STP again, only not as bad.
>They're still sore and swollen. Any recommedations for something stronger,
>for those long summer centuries, that doesn't taste awful?

SPF 45.

Bill "or go for the zinc oxide?" S.

(I got fried lips -- complete with fever blister -- on my last century, a
week before going to see an old girlfriend. D'oh!)
post #3 of 6

Re: sunburned lips

Claire Petersky aka Mother Hen wrote:
> A year ago I sunburned my lips pretty bad on STP. So this year I slathered
> them in spf 15 lip balm, and sunburned them on STP again, only not as bad.
> They're still sore and swollen. Any recommedations for something stronger,
> for those long summer centuries, that doesn't taste awful?

Yes: <http://www.leitra.dk/>.

post #4 of 6

Re: sunburned lips

On Jul 17, 12:43 am, "Claire Petersky" <cpeter...@mouse-potato.com>
wrote:
> A year ago I sunburned my lips pretty bad on STP. So this year I slathered
> them in spf 15 lip balm, and sunburned them on STP again, only not as bad.
> They're still sore and swollen. Any recommedations for something stronger,
> for those long summer centuries, that doesn't taste awful?
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Peterskyhttp://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
> See the books I've set free at:http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

I use SPF30 chap stick. Very little taste, and effective enough for
most days. It's also cheap & easy to find, which doesn't hurt.
post #5 of 6

Re: sunburned lips

I'm very sensitive to the sun--several bouts with sun-poisoning (which also
means cold sores) and that makes it a challenge.
I've used Clinique's SPF Lipstick....works well for me. I just found a link
on the effectiveness and safety (?!) of sunscreen products and I"m going to
re-evaluate all of my favorites.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/spe...ns/summary.php

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

"Claire Petersky" <cpetersky@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message
>A year ago I sunburned my lips pretty bad on STP. So this year I slathered
>them in spf 15 lip balm, and sunburned them on STP again, only not as bad.
>They're still sore and swollen. Any recommedations for something stronger,
>for those long summer centuries, that doesn't taste awful?
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky
> http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
> See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

post #6 of 6

Re: sunburned lips

Claire wrote:
> A year ago I sunburned my lips pretty bad on STP. So this year I slathered
> them in spf 15 lip balm, and sunburned them on STP again, only not as bad.
> They're still sore and swollen. Any recommedations for something stronger,
> for those long summer centuries, that doesn't taste awful?

Eeeyouch. Reminds me of my own (only) lip sunburn on RAGBRAI
(happening this week) some 28 years ago. Since then I've been a lip
balm addict.

Maybe a base coat of your facial sunscreen atop your lips, then a
layer of lip balm? If you're out on the road and in dire straits,
worth a try. (I vaguely recall looking for lip balm in every small
town for at least one day.)

No-Ad makes a pocket-sized sunscreen stick, sold as a two-fer with a
big bottle of lotion. I always get the bottle with the bicycle design;
surely they have noticed the success of that marketing choice.

HTH

--Karen D.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home