Workout early in Morning?

Kirby Krieger

Guest
Does anyone work out first thing in the morning? What do you do about breakfast?

No movies please.

Kirby.

In article <[email protected]>, "Kirby Krieger"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Does anyone work out first thing in the morning? What do you do about breakfast?
>
> No movies please.
>
> Kirby.

Well, I commute. I just eat a small bowl of cereal beforehand, as much before the ride as possible
(usually 15-20 mins).

I know, commuting, but until recently my commute was a 30-minute ride that kept my HR in the
70-80% range except at stoplights, included significant hills, and I would do occasional intervals
just for fun.

"Kirby Krieger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone work out first thing in the morning? What do you do about
breakfast?

When I was training, I used to ride early (6am) before work. With AVA by the way. And I'd always be
late because there would be some kind of soft core **** on Skinamax or Blowtime. Anyway, if the ride
time is going to be less than 2 hours, you'll just need a cup of coffee and you'll be fine. Only
pussies need breakfast.

Thanks, Ronde Champ

"Kirby Krieger" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Does anyone work out first thing in the morning?

Well, I commute 20 km in 40 minutes at around 7:30 (not today, its -35 degrees with windchill))

> What do you do about breakfast?

I eat it. Not very scientific. Usually whatever my kids are eating. After showering at work, I
usually have a muffin.

> No movies please.

No problem.

--
Dominic Richens | [email protected] "I have seen the future, and it is just like the
present, only longer"

"ronde champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Kirby Krieger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Does anyone work out first thing in the morning? What do you do about
> breakfast?
>
> When I was training, I used to ride early (6am) before work. With AVA by the way. And I'd always
> be late because there would be some kind of soft core **** on Skinamax or Blowtime. Anyway, if the
> ride time is going to
be
> less than 2 hours, you'll just need a cup of coffee and you'll be fine. Only pussies need
> breakfast.
>
> Thanks, Ronde Champ

I read/heard somewhere that you "burn more fat" if you ride in the AM without eating first.
Something about using your reserves, not the food you just ate. The figure 30% comes to mind, but
don't quote me.

If you're replenishing your energy stores properly and for shorter rides, you don't really need to
eat before-hand (no matter WHAT triathletes say!).

Now coffee is another story!

Anyone else?

"ronde champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Kirby Krieger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Does anyone work out first thing in the morning? What do you do about
> breakfast?
>
> When I was training, I used to ride early (6am) before work. With AVA by the way. And I'd always
> be late because there would be some kind of soft core **** on Skinamax or Blowtime. Anyway, if the
> ride time is going to be less than 2 hours, you'll just need a cup of coffee and you'll be fine.
> Only pussies need breakfast.
>
> Thanks, Ronde Champ

This morning it was "Sex and the Autopsy". Saw a story on some bacteriologist from Florida who was
working on TB in the '30's. His girlfriend died from it. Needless to say, he was bummed. So first he
had a death mask made of her face. Then he had her put in a mausoleum, so he could work next to her.
After that got old, he took her out, dressed her in a wedding gown and placed her in his bed. He
would replace any decayed skin with waxed silk. And of course, no dead bride is complete w/o a
vaginal tube.

Until today, "Live Nude Girls Unite" - the story of unionizing strippers in San Francisco might have
been the best pre-a.m. ride HBO movie.

your welcome

johan

"Kirby Krieger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Does anyone work out first thing in the morning? What do you do about breakfast?
>
> No movies please.
>
> Kirby.

No breakfast needed. Second hand report that Hamsten used to go for 6 hour "starvation" rides
without breakfast at very slow pace to drop weight. I think 90 min with some intensity is
about my max.

"ronde champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Kirby Krieger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Does anyone work out first thing in the morning?
>
> When I was training, I used to ride early (6am) before work. With AVA by the way. And I'd always
> be late because there would be some kind of soft core **** on Skinamax or Blowtime.

RC - One Armed intervals does not qualify as training.

"Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "ronde champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Kirby Krieger" <[email protected]>
wrote
> > in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Does anyone work out first thing in the morning?
> >
> > When I was training, I used to ride early (6am) before work. With AVA
by
> > the way. And I'd always be late because there would be some kind of
soft
> > core **** on Skinamax or Blowtime.
>
> RC - One Armed intervals does not qualify as training.

It is if your **** is as big as mine.

Thanks, Ronde Champ

Johan wrote:

> This morning it was "Sex and the Autopsy". Saw a story on some

Here in New Zealand, it is still easier to schedule training in the evenings. It doesn't get dark
down here until 9:30pm still. No soft **** on the TV either. Mornings are for sleeping, although I
occasionally have a roll in bed with honey. STF

Kirby Krieger <[email protected]> wrote:
: Does anyone work out first thing in the morning? What do you do about breakfast?

Yep! The bulk of my rides are 0630 to 0730 and I don't have anything to eat, just some water on the
ride. I do however, make a point of having muesli with fresh fruit and rice milk within 15 minutes
of getting off the bike to take advantage the glycogen uptake window.

I participate in a 1.5 hour early ride Saturday mornings and usually have half a banana before I
leave and again have breakfast as soon as I can afterwards.

On Sundays I have a 2.5 hour early ride starting with a full banana and I take a fruit bar which I
eat at the half way mark - breakfast as usual.

One of the hardcore vets I ride with never has breakfast before a ride, even centuries, and in the
annual Grafton to Inverell race (223km) he only consumes sports drinks - no food and he's come
second in his agegroup a few times.. This is a gruelling uphill event with many non-finishers so he
has my utmost respect and no doubt he has taken a number of years to fine tune what works for him.

As far as breakfast goes, remember that if you eat and then get into intense exercise you may
experience discomfort since body resources are redirected to supply oxygen and fuel to muscles
rather than digestive processes. So you'd probably feel a bit queasy and fart a lot! The fuel you
need is available as glycogen stored in muscles and the liver and is usually good for the first hour
or so. Breakfast won't become available as fuel until it is processed so energy bars, etc, are ideal
for keeping the supply topped up.

Hope this helps. Cheerz, Lynzz

I do early morning workouts too. I ride at 5:15am, usually about 35 miles before work. I generally
put down a banana before I leave the house, utually with a small cup of juice. The a 15 minute car
ride to the ride start (you don't want to ride from my house in the dark - it's suicide), then 10
mins getting the bike out, and during the ride, I use only water and Emergen'C (electrolyte
supplement).

Post ride, I'll have either a bowl of fiber cereal or a Clif bar, usually within 30 mins of
finishing the ride. Then normal feeding pattern for the rest of the day.

Dave

--
Dave Jupiter FL (remove "dot" in the reply to send mail)

I still do six hour starvation rides in the mountains. Well not totally since I drink cytomax and
accelerade, but no breakfast or lunch. I did that for years, and lost far too much weight riding
nearly everyday. I eat better now, but still do the 6 hour starvation rides but not as frequent. 6
hours won't kill anybody, but I would eat, it's just that I can't tolerate any food during my rides.
Never could. My stomach sort of shuts down during riding and doesn't really tolerate any food.
Skipping breafast is no big deal. Feels much better to eat after your morning ride. My body doesn't
seem to like too many processes going on either. I think my legs want all the blood and won't share
any with my stomach. My stomach can barely tolerate water sometimes. I try to keep my fluid
consumption down to just what I need or my stomach starts to complain. That is especially hard on
hot days with a cranky stomach.

Skip breakfast and wait for brunch!

Bruce
------------------------------------
"Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Kirby Krieger" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Does anyone work out first thing in the morning? What do you do about
breakfast?

> > No movies please.
> >
> > Kirby.
>
> No breakfast needed. Second hand report that Hamsten used to go for 6 hour "starvation" rides
> without breakfast at very slow pace to drop weight. I think 90 min with some intensity is
> about my max.

"ronde champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "ronde champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > "Kirby Krieger" <[email protected]>
> wrote
> > > in message news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > When I was training, I used to ride early (6am) before work. With AVA
> by
> > > the way. And I'd always be late because there would be some kind of
> soft
> > > core **** on Skinamax or Blowtime.
> >
> > RC - One Armed intervals does not qualify as training.
>
> It is if your **** is as big as mine.

Only if you hang a 5 gallon bucket of water over it and do kneebends.

--
Replace the dots to reply

Perre

"Kirby Krieger" <mynameet...
> Does anyone work out first thing in the morning? What do you do about
breakfast?

Skip it? Or, eat a power bar or 3 slices of toast, then chow down at the office (31 miles away).

Kirby Krieger wrote:

> Does anyone work out first thing in the morning? What do you do about breakfast?

re: working out-i always eat first, but, when i have to be at a race start at 7:30 am, i like those
liquid meals (spiz, sustained energy, slim fast). they can taste gross, though.

but i get dizzy and nauseated if i don't eat very regularly, sounds like other people don't have
this prob. h

"Kirby Krieger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Does anyone work out first thing in the morning? What do you do about breakfast?
>
> No movies please.
>
> Kirby.

Preferable to ride in afternoon for the following reasons -

1. Testing (Japanese I recall) revealed that afternoon training provided greater gains in V02max
compared to morning training.

2. The body is at its strongest when core temperature heats up. The difference between strength at
rising temperature and normal temperature was tested to be 11%. At around 4.00pm/5.00pm is the
optimal time.

3. Training raises the rate of metabolism. Metabolism rate is at its lowest during sleep so any
elevated rate during sleep through training later in the day provides weight reduction benefits.

4. You wont be yawning in the afternoon.

ronde champ wrote:

> "heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > i like those liquid meals (spiz). they can taste gross, though.
>
> The above sentence is very funny, if you know what I mean.
>
> Thanks, Ronde Champ

yeah yeah, we actually refer to it as jizz around here.

i didn't want to tell kirby to try jizz, though.

h- losing any minute chance to ever be sponsored by a liquid meal replacement manufacturer.