Training Year Ending 2003

Swstudio

Guest
Greetings, rec.runners!

Please feel free to join this thread and submit any information you have compiled regarding your
year. You don't have to answer all the question - feel free to add any other info you'd like.

Have a great, injury-free new year, everyone!!!

1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?
2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?
3. What was your longest run?
4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?
5. What were your best and worst race performances?
6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?
7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?
8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?
9. What are your goals for 2004?
10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

SwStudio wrote:

> Greetings, rec.runners!

Hi, David. Congrats to you on a year of dedication, as demonstrated by faithfully posting your
weekly training accomplishments, as well as you encouraging others to be proud of their own. That's
the spirit of this newsgroup (aside from the troll pollution), I think!

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

Probably 1000-1100, never keep precise track, but factoring out appx 2 months of injury, that's what
I'd guess I achieved.

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

Zero, injury; 48, training while contemplating marathon

> 3. What was your longest run?

Half marathon.

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

Two: Syracuse 10 mile Mountain Goat Run, ARC Half Marathon

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Both races named above were personal achievements in my own way of looking at it. Mountain Goat was
a great race given that it came on the heels of taking 2 months off for injury; ARC race was
personal best for half-marathon (1:45 or thereabouts). I'm not fast, but I enjoy giving it a good
effort and enjoying the run.

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Hell, this is Syracuse, try any half-dozen of the blizzards during our 5 months of winter...

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

Same goals as always, keep on running, stay healthy, stay sane and balanced, and I think I achieved
them, or at least as much as I have in other years.

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?

Same as 2003.

-- Josh in Syracuse

In article <[email protected]>, SwStudio wrote:
> Greetings, rec.runners!
>
> Please feel free to join this thread and submit any information you have compiled regarding your
> year. You don't have to answer all the question - feel free to add any other info you'd like.
>
> Have a great, injury-free new year, everyone!!!
>

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

1366 inconsistent miles

Month-by-month: 173, 169, 77, 94, 59, 81, 0, 40, 174, 178, 154, 168 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ reduced
due to AT problems

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

52 and 0

> 3. What was your longest run?

16 miles.

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

13.

Race Date Dist Time Net time Pace AG% VDOT New York Frostbite 2003-01-18 10M 1:09:53 1:09:30 6:57
64.2 49.17 Grid Iron Classic 2003-01-26 5k 21:21 20:16 6:32 64 49.04 Valentine's twosome 2003-02-09
2M 12:37 12:33 6:16 49.58 NYRR Snowflake 4-Mile 2003-02-22 4M 26:18 26:12 6:33 64.7 49.54 NYRR
Rabbit run 2003-04-19 5k 19:17 19:11 6:11 67.6 52.29 Downtown dash 2003-05-20 2.66M 18:00 17:34 6:30
47.83 Run to liberty 2003-08-30 10k 46:58 45:58 7:24 58.6 44.15 Fifth avenue mile 2003-09-7 1M 5:28
5:28 68.4 53.72 AHA Wall St Run 2003-09-25 5k 18:34 18:27 6:06 53.08 Poland Spring 2003-10-26 5M
32:20 32:12 6:26 66.1 51.21 Race To Deliver 2003-11-23 4M 24:45 24:28 6:07 69.3 53.7 Joe Kleinerman
10k 2003-12-14 10k 40:11 6:28 67 51.67 Holiday 4M 2003-12-20 4M 24:18 24:16 6:04 69.9 54.22

The Joe K was unscored due to Blizzard conditions (hence the slightly slow time compared to
the 4 milers)

Vdot score was computed using a vdot calc on my website.

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Taken from other thread:

Race: Frostbite 10 mile Jan: Why I liked it: first NYRR race, brutally cold (7 degrees), made my
goal (finished under 7:00 pace by just 7 seconds), ran negative splits.

Race: Rabbit Run 5k April: Why I liked it: I beat Global (hahahahaha), major breakthrough (AG% 67.6,
compared with less than 65 in prior races)

Race: Race to Deliver 4M Nov: Why I liked it: Another breakthrough (69.3), negative splits, first
performance since the Rabbit Run that was a worthy successor.

Low point: Race: Run to Liberty 10k, Aug 03 Why it sucked: ran it at a 7:24 pace. 'Nuff said.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

See above.

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

7 degree weather in the frostbite, snowstorms during the Joe K and during several training runs.

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

Can't remember what my goals were. I view short and mid term goals as more important. Long term
goals are only useful if you can map them out in terms of smaller more achievable goals.

After soem early disappointments with AT problems, I had some good races after returning to
training. I'm reasonably happy with all of my race performances from September onwards.

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?

I made some up and can't really remember them. Go figure. As long as I don't get hurt again, I'll
keep improving.

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

Not really.

Cheers,

"Josh Steinberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hi, David. Congrats to you on a year of dedication, as demonstrated by faithfully posting your
> weekly training accomplishments, as well as you encouraging others to be proud of their own.
> That's the spirit of this newsgroup (aside from the troll pollution), I think!

Thanks a lot, Josh! There's definitely a community here regardless of the trolls. I've been here
since mid-2000, and I remember you were already a "regular", as well as many others that are
still here.

There are many who I wish made a return. Where is Bernard? Or even Jeff, the 15-minute 5k runner
from Princeton? I wonder if he's kept training. So many people.

Of course, there's a good amount of new, but welcome additions into the group over the past year,
which keeps the 'family' alive. And although we had two deaths occur this year in the rec.running
family, I am sure there were at least that many births, too.

cheers,
--

SwStudio wrote:

> Greetings, rec.runners!
>
> Please feel free to join this thread and submit any information you have compiled regarding your
> year. You don't have to answer all the question - feel free to add any other info you'd like.
>
> Have a great, injury-free new year, everyone!!!

All anwsers are 'so far' of course, as there are still more miles to be done this year.

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

1855.95m

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

63.95m (15-21 DEC)
64.3m (7-13 JUL)

> 3. What was your longest run?

65.05m

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

66. Though this includes 3 in one day on occasions (5k,1500,800) to make up point for my team in
our league.

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Best - Hayling 10 (miles) 55:27 Worst - Fleet 1/2M 1:25:34

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

Not really

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

60mph winds with torrential rain in a 5k track race. Half the lap was torture, whilst the other half
was a breeze (parden the pun).

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

Can't remember

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?

66:1:59 1/2M
67:29 10k
68:59 5k

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

Can't think of any right now.

--
Brian Wakem

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 10:42:32 -0500, "SwStudio"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Greetings, rec.runners!
>
>Please feel free to join this thread and submit any information you have compiled regarding your
>year. You don't have to answer all the question - feel free to add any other info you'd like.
>
>Have a great, injury-free new year, everyone!!!

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

By the end of the year, it'll be 2085 miles or so.

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

lowest: 6.1 miles (Jan 6 - 12); injured highest: 56.8 miles (Dec 22 - 28)

> 3. What was your longest run?

21 miles

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

16 races this year: 8x5K, 4x10K, 1x15K, 1x20K, 2xhalf-marathon.

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

worst: a 10K in early July in which I spent all of miles 2 - 5 asking myself "should I speed up now?
maybe...but what if it's too soon? what if I get tired? hmmm, better wait. should I speed up now..."
Of course I never did speed up, and ran an incredibly mediocre race.

best: Baltimore Half-Marathon. It was my first half-marathon. I had a plan and I stuck to it, and I
did better than I thought I could and had a great time doing it.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

Just before Baltimore, I ran 15 miles or so with my coach and his running partner. We ran at a pace
that was easy for them but challenging for me. It was hard but fun, and it gave me some confidence
that helped me out in the half-marathon a week later.

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Gulf Beaches half-marathon (Dec 14), in wind and steady rain the whole way.

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

I started running at the beginning of 2002 and spent a lot of that year injured. In 2003 I wanted to
avoid injury at all costs and see what a year of consistent running would do for me. And that's
pretty much what I did. BTW, consistent running rocks.

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?

Much less abstract and much more mundane than the goals for 2003:

start (and finish) my first marathon, coming up in February sub-6:15 mile sub-21 5K sub-42 10K sub-
1:35 half-marathon sub-3:30 marathon maintain a higher base than I do now no injuries ever

>10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

Where's Jarno?

Karen

I've really enjoyed reading the replies to this post so far.
Thanks for the smiles :)

My year was not that good, but it's ending on an "uphill" note:

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

Last year I ran 3244km (2015 miles), even though I took a 2 month layoff. This year I took over
three months off without a run and still only came up with about 1300km right on, or just over 800
miles. Life kind got in the way, and it was a good excuse to let nagging injuries heal.

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

Again, a huge difference between 2002 and 2003. In the earlier year I managed to run 124km (77
miles) in a week. In fact, I did it twice. In 2003 I think my longest week was about 78km, which
isn't even quite 50 miles. Not even 49, actually. :)

> 3. What was your longest run?

24km (14.9 miles).... in 2002 I ran 32km (19.88 miles) three times.

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

I entered 12.... in 2002 I entered 38.

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Worst was DNF at a ½ marathon in very early March. I couldn't walk by 10km, and I knew all along it
was going to happen, but I entered anyway. If I remember correctly, that was my last run until
sometime in early summer.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

My "comeback" race after my very long layoff... I had about six weeks until race day, and a 3km time
trial showed me I was MUCH slower than I was at my peak (obviously), so I traned like crazy, going
from no running to doing almost all speedwork in about 10 days, then holding that "all speedwork"
regimen for about a month, logging 30-mile weeks of tempos and intervals, with lactate threshold
runs thrown in here and there. I had no time to build a base, so I just experimented.

I ended up with a 17:35, not close to my best time but it was very satisfying. Right after that I
counted my blessings that I didn't get injured, and changed my program back to something more
reasonable. ;-)

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Nothing much. A few ridiculously windy days.

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

The goals were to achieve PR's in all race distances from 5k - marathon. I didn't even run a
marathon this year.... or in 2002. This is now #1 on my list.

I broke one PR - strangely enough it was at a ½ marathon that was a hilly course. I broke my 2 year-
old PR (run on a flat course) by three seconds.

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?

Achieve PR's in all race distances, run May marathon in sub-2:50.

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

This was my sig line for quite some time over a year ago: "Courage is fear holding on a minute
longer" Gen. George Patton

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

In article <[email protected]>,
"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Greetings, rec.runners!
>
> Please feel free to join this thread and submit any information you have compiled regarding your
> year. You don't have to answer all the question - feel free to add any other info you'd like.
>
> Have a great, injury-free new year, everyone!!!
>

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?
> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?
> 3. What was your longest run?
> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?
> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?
> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?
> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?
> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?
> 9. What are your goals for 2004?
> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

Hi everyone,

I'll pop in here and join this thread just to wrap up the year, and then I'll see where life and
running take me. I can't answer all of the questions posed by David above, but here are my thoughts
and accomplishments for 2003:

- this was a year of change and new challenges and accomplishments. a shaky financial situation due
to lack of job for part of the year meant that i could not do my usual 9 or 10 races over the race
season. instead i ran only two road races, one on St Pat's Day (5K) and the other in the Ottawa
National Capital Race Weekend (10K) in May. pretty much the entire year consisted of triathlon
training, and even now my workouts include swim, bike and run. i did my first tri in May - that
was a short beginner's one, and then in July I completed a longer sprint tri.

- further to the tri training, i must mention that this has been a swimming year for me. i kept the
running going, but i've been focusing on becoming a half-decent swimmer after a lifetime of not
even being able to front crawl. i managed 750m in my sprint tri, and i was able to do 1.5k at the
nearby bay in training. mission accomplished.

- i think my longest run may have been about 12k, a big drop from the previous few years when i did
longer distance training. 2003 became a shorter run year, mainly so that i could squeeze in all of
the tri training that was necessary.

- worst race? i guess the National Capital 10K.... i felt kinda woozy and sick in the stomach for
the latter half of that race. no real explanation why, but it meant a poorer result that i
hoped for.

- best race performance? despite a very slow swim start in my sprint tri, i recovered on the bike
and came back to pass several people on the run and to post one of my better 5K times! i was
pleased - and mystified
- by that.

- a memorable run? i can't remember :) actually, i took a little hiatus from running for several
weeks in the late fall. this December, i've been getting back into it, though my long workday cuts
into any possible running workout time. so i only get in one or two runs per week. maybe with some
creative scheduling i can get another one in there soon. anyway, i'd say that my first run back
after the break was memorable. it was a cool sunny day and i decided to try running with music and
headphones on for the first time in years. the time was right. the run was great, my mood was
great, the music was great.

- i achieved my race goals for 2003.

- 2004 goals? i'm still working on them, but i'm very close to registering early for a May sprint
triathlon (swim in a pool) or possibly wait for a June tri and swim in a bay. i'd like to run at
least one long road race this coming year, and my thoughts keep coming back to the marathon (!).
i'm not sure if that will happen given my work hours, but if not that then i'll see if a half
might be possible on whatever training i can eke out. or i might have to settle for a 10k or two.
this is a wait and see year. a change in career direction could mean that things will go my way
more in the race and training dept.

2003... it was a very good year. thanks for reading!

Cam

Ask me again on the 1st, I need to finish the whole year to make one of my goals ;) Andy Hass

Since I'm fairly new to the group, and to running in general, I won't bother to post much. To those
that run consistently all year, and provide great advice, many thanks to you for your time and I
hope that the new year continues to reward you.

I will mark down my goals, more for myself than for anyone else.

2004 - I'd like to see my 5K time under 20 minutes. I'd like to finish the Bix 7 miler in under and
hour and I'm starting to think about a half marathon in September (not really sure on this one).
Also I'd like to consistently run 20 or more miles a week. Its hard at times, but I think if I can
do this it will keep me sane when I others wise might not be.

Happy New Year to all!

Chris D.

> Greetings, rec.runners!
>
> Please feel free to join this thread and submit any information you have compiled regarding your
> year. You don't have to answer all the question - feel free to add any other info you'd like.
>
> Have a great, injury-free new year, everyone!!!
>

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?
> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?
> 3. What was your longest run?
> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?
> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?
> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?
> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?
> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?
> 9. What are your goals for 2004?
> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?
>

> --
> David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

Oh boy, a survey!

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

Hmm. A lot. I will probably have 1640 miles by the end of the year.

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

Highest Mileage: August 17-23: 52.2 miles. Lowest mileage: November 23-29: 15 miles.

> 3. What was your longest run?

12.5 miles.

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

Races. . .
13) Freedom run 17:24 for 3 miles (first overall, heavy rain)
14) Fish Day Run 8K 22nd overall, 9th in age group 29:09
15) Powers Project Run 2nd overall 16:43 ~3 miles.
16) 10k Badgerland Striders Race (37:58) 8th overall, 3rd Age group.
17) 5k sausage race 25th overall 14th age group (17:30)
18) 5k Hank Aaron Run (18:01) 3rd overall 1st age group
19) 5K Run to Fiesta 3rd overall (17:54)
20) Badgerland Striders 20K (12.5 miles) 1:20:40, 6:29 pace per mile.
21) 8K XC Meet 30:03
22) 8K XC Meet 30:38 (wet, rainy)
23) Al's run 8K 38th overall 28:25
24) 8K XC Meet 30:22 (cold and windy)
25) 8K XC Meet 30:22
26) 8K XC Meet 30:00 Wi Private Schools Championships
27) 8K XC Meet 29:40 NAIA region VII
28) 5K President's run XC-Style race 18:58 7th overall 3rd AG

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Best Sausage Race and Al's Run. Good race times and fast competition. Worst: XC races numbers 12 and
13 I would like to have another shot at.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

I always look forward to The 5k Sausage Race, and have ran in it 3 of the 4 years it has existed.

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Hmm, Wisconsin weather, so that includes snow and cold. Doing a few races in rain and cold was new
to me, however.

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

Breaking 30:00 for XC 8K was the biggest, and I did it on the last meet of the season.

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?

Since I am done with XC, I would like to bring my 5K time down closer to
29:00 and work on running stronger using my upperbody more.

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

"I am going to win this race" - Myself, shortly before the Freedom run, a race which I won.

-Aaron TheYAM.net

SwStudio wrote:

> Greetings, rec.runners!
>
> Please feel free to join this thread and submit any information you have compiled regarding your
> year. You don't have to answer all the question - feel free to add any other info you'd like.
>
> Have a great, injury-free new year, everyone!!!
>
> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?
??
> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?
75
> 3. What was your longest run?
18
6

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?
finished / did not finished
> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?
turkey tr ot
> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?
100 in texas

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?
to live 2 run - yes
> 9. What are your goals for 2004?
live 2 run- whrn L died it did take the wind from my sails 'from where i stand i will fight(run) no
more 4ever' but i know it is temp - another day another run - L would have it no LESS!!!! plodzilla

In article <[email protected]>, C. Dorr wrote:
> Since I'm fairly new to the group, and to running in general, I won't bother to post much. To
> those that run consistently all year, and provide great advice, many thanks to you for your time
> and I hope that the new year continues to reward you.
>
> I will mark down my goals, more for myself than for anyone else.
>
> 2004 - I'd like to see my 5K time under 20 minutes. I'd like to finish the Bix 7 miler in under
> and hour and I'm starting to think about a half marathon in September (not really sure on this
> one). Also I'd like to

A half-marathon would make a nice over-distance race to help you get ready for the Bix.

It's important to prioritise and have clear goals, so if the Bix is your priority, make sure the
half marathon fits in with your training for that race. I'd suggest choosing a HM at least 3 weeks
before the Bix.

If you live anywhere near the Bix course, some hill training on the course would also help.

FYI, a 20:00 5k predicts a 47:01 time. But this doesn't take into account course difficulty. So if
you take the Bix 7 record time, and predict a 10k time from it, you get 28:06, which is 1:43 slower
than the 10k record, or
6.5% slower than record pace. So applying the "course difficulty adjustment", you get 50 minutes. So
if you can make your 5k goal, *and* you do hill training, *and* you do enough training for a 7
miler, you'll get your Bix goal too.

Happy new year, and happy running,

In article <[email protected]>, joe positive wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 10:42:32 -0500, "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Greetings, rec.runners!
>>
>>Please feel free to join this thread and submit any information you have compiled regarding your
>>year. You don't have to answer all the question - feel free to add any other info you'd like.
>>
>>Have a great, injury-free new year, everyone!!!
>

>>1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?
>
> By the end of the year, it'll be 2085 miles or so.
>

>>2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?
>
> lowest: 6.1 miles (Jan 6 - 12); injured highest: 56.8 miles (Dec 22 - 28)
[snip]
> year injured. In 2003 I wanted to avoid injury at all costs and see what a year of consistent
> running would do for me. And that's pretty much what I did. BTW, consistent running rocks.

Judging by your peak (56) and average (40) milages, it looks like you were indeed pretty consistent.
I'd be pretty happy after a year like that too (fingers crossed that I can get in that range in '04)
Well done.

Cheers,

My only real goal for 2003 was to stop vomiting blood. Oh well, maybe next year.

>1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

1,225 miles so far, probably finish at 1,244.

>2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

56.4 and 4.0

>3. What was your longest run?

57.4, today (Dec. 28)

>4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

28

>5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Best: Probably the Mercury 10K a couple of months ago, 42:35.

Worst: Probably the Too Hot to Handle 15K, 26 July, 1:13:57, 4 minutes slower than a hillier 15K two
months earlier; faded badly in last few miles.

>6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

Mercury 10K, had to put on a kick in the last mile to catch a rival runner.

>7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

None really, a couple of heavy windy days. We did have an ice storm, but I just went to the
gym that day.

>8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

Get in shape; did that. I sort of thought I might get under 20:00 for 5K or an equivalent result at
another distance, but once my 'thon training ramped up I quit thinking about races.

>9. What are your goals for 2004?

BQ!

--
Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing and proofreading

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

SwStudio wrote:

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

I don't keep a log anymore but I'd guess I average about 50 per week or 2,600

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

10, 120
> 3. What was your longest run?

100 miles
> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?
Four significant races - 50k, 2X50 miles and 100. Maybe another 10 or so 10k-15 miles.

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Best Vermont 100 21:24 worse Hinte-Anderson spring 50k 5:37(all mud and **** poor training over the
winter with mucho ice)

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?
> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

I'll put 6 and 7 together. the Vermont 50 in September. Over 10 hours of running in heavy rain, 50
degrees and thick greasy mud from 700 bikes starting in front of me. Satisfied to finish before the
12 hour cut off. 98 started and 43 finished - very high drop out rate.

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

Yes, my goal was to run injury free and although my performances were lackluster, they were
completed.

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?

4 or 5 ultra races, yet to be nailed down,

> 10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

Trails with high passes and girls with nice asses.

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

622 miles (so far)

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

Highest... in October 23 miles Lowest... in November 0 miles

> 3. What was your longest run?

25km race in October

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

12 months, 12 races (5k thru 25k distances)

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Worst... Horror Hill 5k Trail Race --- I hate those hills! Best... Vulture Bait 25k Trail Run --- I
actually finished! ;-)

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

The Vulture Bait 25k Trail Run. It was a great feeling seeing the finish line!

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

Nothing memorably crazy this year?

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?

Beat my 2002 mileage... Success 12 months, 12 races... Success Loose some weight... Success Re-start
my weight training... Failure :-(

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?

Beat my 2003 mileage. 12 months, 12 races. Loose some weight. Re-start my weight training.

Perdy.

> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?
2020 miles Last year's posts of 2002 in 2002 inspired me to shoot for 2003 in 2003. In past
years I've run around 1500 miles, so this was a bit of a challenge for me. The increased mileage
did help in my marathon training this year.
> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?
I had one 80 mile week in the summer when I have more time to run. There was one week of
18 miles when I had the flu, but I'm a fairly consistent runner with around 40 miles for
most weeks.
> 3. What was your longest run?
A full marathon
> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?
Two marathons One half marathon One seven miler Two 10Ks One five miler One 5K
> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?
I ran one of the 10Ks in 50:30, a personal best. The 5K I ran in 32:45. My fifteen year old
daughter set the pace, and even though it was my slowest race all year it was probably the most
enjoyable. She had never run that far all at once. We had talked a lot about not going out too
fast. She tried hard to pace herself and finished excited and saying that she thought she could
do it faster the next time. :)
> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?
I am fortunate to live in a beautiful area. My favorite runs are those early morning outings
when the sun is just coming up. There's a pond at the bottom of a hill about two miles from my
house. Some days as I'm bracing for the push up the hill I will startle a blue heron that
frequents the pond. The bird is so graceful as it wings over the water and beyond the hill in
front of me. It is so quiet, so peaceful, so lovely.
> 9. What are your goals for 2004?
2004 in 2004 Run the Spirit of St. Louis Marathon in April and the New York Marathon in November
Run a sub-two hour half marathon (Indianapolis 500 Festival Mini-Marathon) Run injury free by
listening carefully to what my body is trying to tell me Enjoy the journey Continue to learn and
be inspired by the rec.running community. Thank you to all of you. Michelle

SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:
> 1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

At this point, it looks like right around 1550 miles.

> 2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?a

highest: 54.5 miles, week of Sept 8th. lowest, first three weeks of Jan, fighting off shin splints.

> 3. What was your longest run?

Marathon distance, Oct 5th, Detroit Marathon.

> 4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

4. 4 different distances:

5k-19:43 10k-42:07 half marathon-1:39:39 marathon 3:35:10

> 5. What were your best and worst race performances?

Best, Detroit marathon. Nothing like your first marathon Worst, 10k, Ann Arbor Turkey Trot. drizzly
rainy day.

> 6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

My first marathon, Detroit marathon.

> 7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

I ran a speed workout, 4 mile intervals in the pouring pouring rain. What a feeling.

> 8. What were your goals for 2003? Did you achieve them?a

1200+ miles for the year, 100 miles every month run a successful marathon completed all but one.

> 9. What are your goals for 2004?

1700+ miles 100 miles each month. run one race every two months of the year. Create a team for the
Detroit maratho, and run as a half marathon team. Train for Disney Marathon 2005.

-jeremy
Jeremy Hallum, System Manager , Astronomy, University of Michigan
[email protected]::[email protected]
"Audentis Fortuna Iuvat"