or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Constipation and Celery

post #1 of 5
I've been working on finding a natural remedy for rather severe, at
times, constipation which arose suddenly about 2 1/2 years ago, in my
late 50s. The thing that seems to work the best, so far, is 2 large
stalks of celery every day. My "pellets" are much looser and not
compacted into one large mass. I was wondering if anyone might know of
WHY this is happening with celery? The psyllium, oat bran, wheat bran,
and ground flax seed haven't had as nearly as much effect as the
celery, which seems disproportionate to it's fiber content.
BlackHawk.
post #2 of 5

Re: Constipation and Celery

Nice to hear it's been working for you.
Scientists don't know 100% content of food. There might be something
'extra' in celery that is useful.

For me I find brown rice works everytime. Smooth............

On Jun 12, 12:39 pm, BlackHawk96 <some...@inyourdreams.edu> wrote:
> I've been working on finding a natural remedy for rather severe, at
> times, constipation which arose suddenly about 2 1/2 years ago, in my
> late 50s. The thing that seems to work the best, so far, is 2 large
> stalks of celery every day. My "pellets" are much looser and not
> compacted into one large mass. I was wondering if anyone might know of
> WHY this is happening with celery? The psyllium, oat bran, wheat bran,
> and ground flax seed haven't had as nearly as much effect as the
> celery, which seems disproportionate to it's fiber content.
> BlackHawk.
post #3 of 5

Re: Constipation and Celery

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 20:16:33 -0700, Nick Chan <zzzxtreme@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Jun 12, 12:39 pm, BlackHawk96 <some...@inyourdreams.edu> wrote:
>> I've been working on finding a natural remedy for rather severe, at
>> times, constipation which arose suddenly about 2 1/2 years ago, in my
>> late 50s. The thing that seems to work the best, so far, is 2 large
>> stalks of celery every day. My "pellets" are much looser and not
>> compacted into one large mass. I was wondering if anyone might know of
>> WHY this is happening with celery? The psyllium, oat bran, wheat bran,
>> and ground flax seed haven't had as nearly as much effect as the
>> celery, which seems disproportionate to it's fiber content.
>> BlackHawk.

>Nice to hear it's been working for you.
>Scientists don't know 100% content of food. There might be something
>'extra' in celery that is useful.
>
>For me I find brown rice works everytime. Smooth............

Thanks for the advice , Nick.
Unfortunately, I'm on a low carb anti-inflammation diet for my
arthritis, which precluded rice. I'm convinced that there is indeed
something extra in celery. Being a curious guy, I just wish I knew
what it was.
BlackHawk
post #4 of 5

Re: Constipation and Celery

On Jun 11, 11:39 pm, BlackHawk96 <some...@inyourdreams.edu> wrote:
> I've been working on finding a natural remedy for rather severe, at
> times, constipation which arose suddenly about 2 1/2 years ago, in my
> late 50s. The thing that seems to work the best, so far, is 2 large
> stalks of celery every day. My "pellets" are much looser and not
> compacted into one large mass. I was wondering if anyone might know of
> WHY this is happening with celery? The psyllium, oat bran, wheat bran,
> and ground flax seed haven't had as nearly as much effect as the
> celery, which seems disproportionate to it's fiber content.

Celery is rich in fiber which is the main mechanism, but fiber differs
in quality and it may be optimal for you.

Celery is also rich in vitamin K, which may be of some benefit to the
intestines.

--
Ron
post #5 of 5

Re: Constipation and Celery

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:10:44 -0700, Ron Peterson <ron@shell.core.com>
wrote:

>On Jun 11, 11:39 pm, BlackHawk96 <some...@inyourdreams.edu> wrote:
>> I've been working on finding a natural remedy for rather severe, at
>> times, constipation which arose suddenly about 2 1/2 years ago, in my
>> late 50s. The thing that seems to work the best, so far, is 2 large
>> stalks of celery every day. My "pellets" are much looser and not
>> compacted into one large mass. I was wondering if anyone might know of
>> WHY this is happening with celery? The psyllium, oat bran, wheat bran,
>> and ground flax seed haven't had as nearly as much effect as the
>> celery, which seems disproportionate to it's fiber content.

>Celery is rich in fiber which is the main mechanism, but fiber differs
>in quality and it may be optimal for you.

Thanks for that, Ron. The BIG difference I noticed with celery is a
dramatic lessening of the distension of my colon (smaller pellet
size), which I believe is unrelated to my short term fiber load as
there is actually a lessening of my stool volume as I ran out of
psyllium..
BlackHawk

>Celery is also rich in vitamin K, which may be of some benefit to the
>intestines.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition