or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

cooking on rusted grills....

post #1 of 9
is cooking on rusted (not too bad) grills bad for you? I would assume
so, but only to be safe.

any thoughts?
post #2 of 9

Re: cooking on rusted grills....

On 9 Apr 2007 11:10:57 -0700, "danjoel@gmail.com" <danjoel@gmail.com>
wrote:

>is cooking on rusted (not too bad) grills bad for you? I would assume
>so, but only to be safe.
>
>any thoughts?

Wire brush it. Wipe with oil and use it.
post #3 of 9

Re: cooking on rusted grills....

On Apr 9, 11:10 am, "danj...@gmail.com" <danj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> is cooking on rusted (not too bad) grills bad for you? I would assume
> so, but only to be safe.
>
> any thoughts?

Why is that the question? What's keeping you from cleaning or
replacing them? -aem
post #4 of 9

Re: cooking on rusted grills....

On 9 Apr 2007 11:10:57 -0700, danjoel@gmail.com wrote:

> is cooking on rusted (not too bad) grills bad for you? I would assume
> so, but only to be safe.
>
> any thoughts?

Never clean your grill until you're ready to use it. Leave the
gunk on until next time. Heat it up, and wire brush it.

For now, clean the grate with a wire brush or steel wool, then oil
or lard it up and set it over a low fire for 15 minutes. Then let
it be until your ready to cook.

-sw
post #5 of 9

Re: cooking on rusted grills....

aem <aem_again@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Apr 9, 11:10 am, "danj...@gmail.com" <danj...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> is cooking on rusted (not too bad) grills bad for you? I would assume
>> so, but only to be safe.

>Why is that the question? What's keeping you from cleaning or
>replacing them? -aem

I have faced this situation when using picnic areas in public
parks (i.e., company picnic situation).

Alternating rub-downs with oil and water using a towel seems
to give an acceptable result. But it's hardly an ideal situation.

Steve
post #6 of 9

wrote:

>is cooking on rusted (not too bad) grills bad for you? I would assume
>so, but only to be safe.
>
>any thoughts?

Oil them up good.... light a hot fire and burn it. Wire brush when
everything is hot. You should get down to real metal. If you don't
chuck it and buy a new one. It should cost you in the neighborhood of
$20 - 30 each. Otherwise, consider it your iron content for the day.

--
See return address to reply by email
post #7 of 9

Re: cooking on rusted grills....

On Apr 9, 10:10 am, "danj...@gmail.com" <danj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> is cooking on rusted (not too bad) grills bad for you? I would assume
> so, but only to be safe.
>
> any thoughts?

I really appreciate everyone's responses, and there are some great
ideas for how best to clean a grill.
don't get me wrong, it's just that it isn't my question at all.
what I want to know : is the rust bad for you or not?

thanks again,
-dan
post #8 of 9

Re: cooking on rusted grills....

On Apr 10, 11:59 am, "danj...@gmail.com" <danj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> I really appreciate everyone's responses, and there are some great
> ideas for how best to clean a grill.
> don't get me wrong, it's just that it isn't my question at all.
> what I want to know : is the rust bad for you or not?

Then why post your question on a food/cooking group? Why not on
alt.quack.medicine or rec.hypochondriacs? -aem
post #9 of 9

wrote:

>is cooking on rusted (not too bad) grills bad for you? I would assume
>so, but only to be safe.
>
>any thoughts?

Only if you've got that disease where there's already too much iron in
your blood so it's dangerous to add any more... heating the grill to
cooking temperature will definitely kill any germs or nasties on it,
and a little iron never hurt anyone.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition