or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Best Fried Shrimp

post #1 of 22
I just did this tonight and everyone heartily approved. They
were friggen fantastic, IMO.

3/4 lb Cleaned/shelled medium shrimp (31-40ct)
1 Tb Potato starch (corn or rice starch would also work)
2 ts Sweet *smoked* paprika
1 ts Fine salt

Sprinkle salt and paprika on slightly wet shrimp and toss. Add
potato starch and toss again. They'll get gluey quickly.

Separate and let shrimp dry for 10 minutes on wire rack. Toss in
360F corn oil for 1-1.5 minutes, stirring initially to prevent
clumping. Bigger shrimp will require longer. Don't use anything
bigger than a 20ct shrimp.

This won't exactly make a crispy coating - battered or breaded
shrimp are an abomination anyway. The salt and paprika bind with
the starch to make a nice even coating that comes out simply
wunderbar. You can inhale these as-is as we did [oink], or in a
salad or noodle dish without cooking further.

Do not try this with regular paprika. You must use mild/sweet
SMOKED paprika. I use http://www.lachinata.com (available at
Spec's in Austin). I've tried Penzy's and it's not nearly as
good.

Also on the menu were ho-made (that's me) egg rolls and chicken
wings, but I've already perfected those. I just wanted to brag
about these new and amazingly simple and quick shrimp I whipped
up tonight.

-sw
post #2 of 22

Re: The Best Fried Shrimp

Steve Wertz wrote:
> I just did this tonight and everyone heartily approved. They
> were friggen fantastic, IMO.
>
> 3/4 lb Cleaned/shelled medium shrimp (31-40ct)
> 1 Tb Potato starch (corn or rice starch would also work)
> 2 ts Sweet *smoked* paprika
> 1 ts Fine salt
>
> Sprinkle salt and paprika on slightly wet shrimp and toss. Add
> potato starch and toss again. They'll get gluey quickly.
>
> Separate and let shrimp dry for 10 minutes on wire rack. Toss in
> 360F corn oil for 1-1.5 minutes, stirring initially to prevent
> clumping. Bigger shrimp will require longer. Don't use anything
> bigger than a 20ct shrimp.
>
> This won't exactly make a crispy coating - battered or breaded
> shrimp are an abomination anyway. The salt and paprika bind with
> the starch to make a nice even coating that comes out simply
> wunderbar. You can inhale these as-is as we did [oink], or in a
> salad or noodle dish without cooking further.
>
> Do not try this with regular paprika. You must use mild/sweet
> SMOKED paprika. I use http://www.lachinata.com (available at
> Spec's in Austin). I've tried Penzy's and it's not nearly as
> good.
>
> Also on the menu were ho-made (that's me) egg rolls and chicken
> wings, but I've already perfected those. I just wanted to brag
> about these new and amazingly simple and quick shrimp I whipped
> up tonight.
>
> -sw

Sounds good, Steve. I'd be interested in learning more about the texture of
the coating. Does it come out lightly like tempura? Obviously it's not
"bready" - which I don't care for either. Did you use a dipping sauce or
just everyone just stand over the plate and consume as the shrimp came out
of the pot? (That's what I would probably do. <g>)

kili
post #3 of 22

Re: The Best Fried Shrimp

Sheldon wrote:
> On May 15, 4:41?am, "kilikini" <kiliki...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
>> Steve Wertz wrote:

> How many "everyone" could there have been... was only 3/4 lb of raw
> shrimp which after cooking is barely an appetizer for two... maybe Sir
> Generous had one guest, a small cat.
>
> Sheldon

Heh heh heh, I'm lucky my cats only demand to eat crab. All the shrimp is
MINE! :~)

kili
post #4 of 22

Re: The Best Fried Shrimp

kilikini wrote:

> Heh heh heh, I'm lucky my cats only demand to eat crab. All the shrimp is
> MINE! :~)

Funny thing about shrimp. I think it is one of the tastiest things in the
world, but my dogs won't have anything to do with it. I once had a dog that
liked shrimp dipped in cocktail sauce but it turned out that it was the
cocktail sauce she liked.
post #5 of 22

Re: The Best Fried Shrimp

On Tue, 15 May 2007 04:41:12 -0400, kilikini wrote:

> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> I just did this tonight and everyone heartily approved. They
>> were friggen fantastic, IMO.
>>
>> 3/4 lb Cleaned/shelled medium shrimp (31-40ct)
>> 1 Tb Potato starch (corn or rice starch would also work)
>> 2 ts Sweet *smoked* paprika
>> 1 ts Fine salt
>>
>> Sprinkle salt and paprika on slightly wet shrimp and toss. Add
>> potato starch and toss again. They'll get gluey quickly.
>>
>> Separate and let shrimp dry for 10 minutes on wire rack. Toss in
>> 360F corn oil for 1-1.5 minutes, stirring initially to prevent
>> clumping. Bigger shrimp will require longer. Don't use anything
>> bigger than a 20ct shrimp.
>>
>> This won't exactly make a crispy coating - battered or breaded
>> shrimp are an abomination anyway. The salt and paprika bind with
>> the starch to make a nice even coating that comes out simply
>> wunderbar. You can inhale these as-is as we did [oink], or in a
>> salad or noodle dish without cooking further.
>>
>> Do not try this with regular paprika. You must use mild/sweet
>> SMOKED paprika. I use http://www.lachinata.com (available at
>> Spec's in Austin). I've tried Penzy's and it's not nearly as
>> good.
>>
>> Also on the menu were ho-made (that's me) egg rolls and chicken
>> wings, but I've already perfected those. I just wanted to brag
>> about these new and amazingly simple and quick shrimp I whipped
>> up tonight.
>>
>> -sw

> Sounds good, Steve. I'd be interested in learning more about the texture of
> the coating. Does it come out lightly like tempura?

Not even that. It just basically serves as a glue to keep the
salt and spices on. It's not gluey when they come, nor crispy.

> "bready" - which I don't care for either. Did you use a dipping sauce or
> just everyone just stand over the plate and consume as the shrimp came out
> of the pot? (That's what I would probably do. <g>)

No dipping sauce needed. They were all consumed within 4 minutes
of coming out of the fryer (an old pot filled with oil).

-sw
post #6 of 22

Re: The Best Fried Shrimp

On 15 May 2007 06:12:16 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

> How many "everyone" could there have been... was only 3/4 lb of raw
> shrimp which after cooking is barely an appetizer for two... maybe Sir
> Generous had one guest, a small cat.

I guess you missed this part, dumbass:

> Also on the menu were ho-made (that's me) egg rolls and chicken
> wings, but I've already perfected those. I just wanted to brag
> about these new and amazingly simple and quick shrimp I whipped
> up tonight.

This is my version of a three-course meal. 14 egg rolls, 3lbs of
wings, and 3/4lb of shrimp. The shrimp were the appetizer. Egg
rolls for the main course. Wings and beer for dessert.

There were 4 adults and 2 kids, if you must know. Which is more
friends than even you could imagine.

-sw
post #7 of 22

Re: The Best Fried Shrimp

On Tue, 15 May 2007 10:18:18 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> I'll have to try adding paprika to my usual recipe, thanks!
> Wonder if that'd work with catfish nuggets too?

*Smoked* Paprika. Not just paprika - that doesn't do much.

-sw
post #8 of 22

Re: The Best Fried Shrimp

Dave Smith wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>>

>> Heh heh heh, I'm lucky my cats only demand to eat crab. All the
>> shrimp is MINE! :~)

> Funny thing about shrimp. I think it is one of the tastiest things in
> the world, but my dogs won't have anything to do with it. I once had
> a dog that liked shrimp dipped in cocktail sauce but it turned out
> that it was the cocktail sauce she liked.

ROFL. that gave me a good chuckle, Dave. I can just picture it. :~)

kili
post #9 of 22

Re: The Best Fried Shrimp

Omelet wrote:
> In article <ahe307xdrfal.dlg@sqwertz.com>,
> Steve Wertz <swertz@cluemail.compost> wrote:
>
>> I just did this tonight and everyone heartily approved. They
>> were friggen fantastic, IMO.
>>
>> 3/4 lb Cleaned/shelled medium shrimp (31-40ct)
>> 1 Tb Potato starch (corn or rice starch would also work)
>> 2 ts Sweet *smoked* paprika
>> 1 ts Fine salt

> I generally use corn starch and/or rice flour. :-)
> And Peanut oil.

I usually just use Zatarrain's fish fry... (ducks)

--
-Gina in Italy

Currently Reading:

Micah by Laurell K. Hamilton
Cold Fire by Dean Koontz

Stitching WIP:

Rosemarkie by Long Dog
St. Sylvestre by Long Dog
St. Georges by Long Dog

Soon to start:

Pompeji Garden Mandela by Chatelaine
Tuscan Town Mandela by Chatelaine
post #10 of 22

Re: The Best Fried Shrimp

On Tue, 15 May 2007 11:18:12 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article <1efa278un5lh3.dlg@sqwertz.com>,
> Steve Wertz <swertz@cluemail.compost> wrote:
>
>> *Smoked* Paprika. Not just paprika - that doesn't do much.

> I understand... :-)
>
> I'll have to look for it.
>
> I've noted that MT carries a better variety of that.
> Where do _you_ get it?

I figured you or Jay would ask, so I mentioned it in the OP.

Specs. La Chinata brand. http://www.lachinata.com

-sw
post #11 of 22

Re: The Best Fried Shrimp

Sqwertz mewls:

> On 15 May 2007 06:12:16 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>
> > How many "everyone" could there have been... was only 3/4 lb of raw
> > shrimp which after cooking is barely an appetizer for two... maybe Sir
> > Generous had one guest, a small cat.

> I guess you missed this part, dumbass:
>
> > Also on the menu were ho-made (that's me) egg rolls and chicken
> > wings, but I've already perfected those. I just wanted to brag
> > about these new and amazingly simple and quick shrimp I whipped
> > up tonight.

> This is my version of a three-course meal. 14 egg rolls, 3lbs of
> wings, and 3/4lb of shrimp. The shrimp were the appetizer. Egg
> rolls for the main course. Wings and beer for dessert.

Except that you did not STATE this in yer ORIGINAL post, DORK...

--
Best
Greg

Re: The Best Fried Shrimp

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> > > Also on the menu were ho-made (that's me) egg rolls and chicken
> > > wings, but I've already perfected those. I just wanted to brag
> > > about these new and amazingly simple and quick shrimp I whipped
> > > up tonight.

> > This is my version of a three-course meal. 14 egg rolls, 3lbs of
> > wings, and 3/4lb of shrimp. The shrimp were the appetizer. Egg
> > rolls for the main course. Wings and beer for dessert.

> Except that you did not STATE this in yer ORIGINAL post, DORK...

WTD?????
It is quoted directly from the OP. If call someone a DORK for not stating
something in the ORIGINAL post, and it is so easy to check the original and
see that he did in fact say that, I guess that makes you a BIGGER DORK.
post #13 of 22

Re: The Best Fried Shrimp

On 15 May 2007 12:52:52 -0700, Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Sqwertz mewls:
>
>> On 15 May 2007 06:12:16 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>>> How many "everyone" could there have been... was only 3/4 lb of raw
>>> shrimp which after cooking is barely an appetizer for two... maybe Sir
>>> Generous had one guest, a small cat.

>> I guess you missed this part, dumbass:
>>
>>> Also on the menu were ho-made (that's me) egg rolls and chicken
>>> wings, but I've already perfected those. I just wanted to brag
>>> about these new and amazingly simple and quick shrimp I whipped
>>> up tonight.

>> This is my version of a three-course meal. 14 egg rolls, 3lbs of
>> wings, and 3/4lb of shrimp. The shrimp were the appetizer. Egg
>> rolls for the main course. Wings and beer for dessert.

> Except that you did not STATE this in yer ORIGINAL post, DORK...

Yes, I did Greg. I mentioned what else we ate. It's right up
there in the second full paragraph. And here it is again, posted
for the 4th time.

It never fails to amaze me that people who are so obsessed with
someone (in this case, Morrow's obsession with Mt Katz) that
they'll make such obvious asses of themselves trying to show off
like a court jester.

-sw
post #14 of 22

Re: The Best Fried Shrimp

On Tue, 15 May 2007 14:58:17 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> Recall, I have Jay successfully killfiled. I've not seen posts from him
> in _ages_!

Yes, you *have* seen his posts. See the Phychadelics/Ping OM
threads.

You can't killfile somebody who changes their nick with every
post.

-sw
post #15 of 22

Re: The Best Fried Shrimp

Dave Smith wrote:

> > > This is my version of a three-course meal. 14 egg rolls, 3lbs of
> > > wings, and 3/4lb of shrimp. The shrimp were the appetizer. Egg
> > > rolls for the main course. Wings and beer for dessert.

> > Except that you did not STATE this in yer ORIGINAL post, DORK...

> WTD?????
> It is quoted directly from the OP. If call someone a DORK for not stating
> something in the ORIGINAL post, and it is so easy to check the original and
> see that he did in fact say that, I guess that makes you a BIGGER DORK.

I'm just givin' Sqwertz "the business", you know he LOVES it... :-)

--
Best
Greg