or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mexican sour cream?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
In our local supermarket I ran across Mexican sour cream in the refrigerated
case. On the carton it said "no spice, slightly salty." What is this
item? I've seen Mexican cooking shows where the cook uses "heavy cream" to
add to savory dishes. The heavy cream has the consistency of sour cream.
Is this the same cream? Info please about both items.
Thanks
Janet
post #2 of 8

Re: Mexican sour cream?

"Janet B." <nospam@cableone.net> wrote in message
news:135ot3mer2q088@corp.supernews.com...
> In our local supermarket I ran across Mexican sour cream in the
> refrigerated case. On the carton it said "no spice, slightly salty."
> What is this item? I've seen Mexican cooking shows where the cook uses
> "heavy cream" to add to savory dishes. The heavy cream has the
> consistency of sour cream. Is this the same cream? Info please about both
> items.
> Thanks
> Janet>


It is very good, but a little goes a long way. It is lightly salted, as
opposed to "American Style" that is not salted. It can be used for any dish
that calls for sour cream, just use less salt. I prefer it to the "Americal
Style."

Harriet & critters in SoCal
post #3 of 8

Re: Mexican sour cream?

On Tue, 29 May 2007 12:44:10 -0600, Janet B. wrote:

> In our local supermarket I ran across Mexican sour cream in the refrigerated
> case. On the carton it said "no spice, slightly salty." What is this
> item? I've seen Mexican cooking shows where the cook uses "heavy cream" to
> add to savory dishes. The heavy cream has the consistency of sour cream.
> Is this the same cream? Info please about both items.
> Thanks
> Janet


Mexican sour cream has a much better texture and flavor. It has
pretty much the same ingredients as American sour cream, but costs
4 times as much for some reason. The price is well worth it,
though. I have both the sour and unsour (Mexican crema/creme
friache) in my fridge right now.

I don't understand the price or taste differences, but they're
both significant.

-sw
post #4 of 8

Re: Mexican sour cream?

On May 29, 3:21 pm, Steve Wertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2007 12:44:10 -0600, Janet B. wrote:
> > In our local supermarket I ran across Mexican sour cream in the refrigerated
> > case. On the carton it said "no spice, slightly salty." What is this
> > item? I've seen Mexican cooking shows where the cook uses "heavy cream" to
> > add to savory dishes. The heavy cream has the consistency of sour cream.
> > Is this the same cream? Info please about both items.
> > Thanks
> > Janet

>
> Mexican sour cream has a much better texture and flavor. It has
> pretty much the same ingredients as American sour cream, but costs
> 4 times as much for some reason. The price is well worth it,
> though. I have both the sour and unsour (Mexican crema/creme
> friache) in my fridge right now.
>
> I don't understand the price or taste differences, but they're
> both significant.


As Steve and Harriet already said, it is better than the American
stuff. I go so far as not even really liking American sour cream, but
I love Mexican Crema Agria.
The problem I have is that it is so often very close to its expiration
date in the grocery stores here in StL, and it's too expensive to
waste.
>
> -sw


--Bryan
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 

Re: Mexican sour cream?

"Food Snob" <CLASSACT@BRICK.NET> wrote in message
news:1180483115.145397.47730@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...
> On May 29, 3:21 pm, Steve Wertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 May 2007 12:44:10 -0600, Janet B. wrote:
>> > In our local supermarket I ran across Mexican sour cream in the
>> > refrigerated
>> > case. On the carton it said "no spice, slightly salty." What is this
>> > item? I've seen Mexican cooking shows where the cook uses "heavy
>> > cream" to
>> > add to savory dishes. The heavy cream has the consistency of sour
>> > cream.
>> > Is this the same cream? Info please about both items.
>> > Thanks
>> > Janet

>>
>> Mexican sour cream has a much better texture and flavor. It has
>> pretty much the same ingredients as American sour cream, but costs
>> 4 times as much for some reason. The price is well worth it,
>> though. I have both the sour and unsour (Mexican crema/creme
>> friache) in my fridge right now.
>>
>> I don't understand the price or taste differences, but they're
>> both significant.

>
> As Steve and Harriet already said, it is better than the American
> stuff. I go so far as not even really liking American sour cream, but
> I love Mexican Crema Agria.
> The problem I have is that it is so often very close to its expiration
> date in the grocery stores here in StL, and it's too expensive to
> waste.
>>
>> -sw

>
> --Bryan
>

Thanks for the good information to all. I guess that I am really going to
have to try the Mexican sour cream. I didn't pay any attention to the
price -- I was really shopping for cottage cheese and it was the first time
I had shopped for it away from Costco and was stunned by the high price.
I'll let you know the price difference here in Idaho.
Janet
post #6 of 8

Re: Mexican sour cream?

On Tue, 29 May 2007 12:44:10 -0600, Janet B. wrote:

> In our local supermarket I ran across Mexican sour cream in the refrigerated
> case. On the carton it said "no spice, slightly salty." What is this
> item? I've seen Mexican cooking shows where the cook uses "heavy cream" to
> add to savory dishes. The heavy cream has the consistency of sour cream.
> Is this the same cream? Info please about both items.


I kinda lost track of your question in my first response. The
cream you saw was Mexican Crema. It's basically the same thing as
Creme Friache. Creme Agria is sour cream. Sometimes the sour
stuff isn't labeled Agria, though, so it can be tricky determining
which is sour and which aren't.

(NB: "Agria" is a medical term for "explosive pustular eruption".
Remember that next time you're eating Mexican sour cream.)

Another good product, thicker than the Mexican crema, is
Salvadoran cream - kind of a cross between cream cheese and sour
cream. Usually sold in plastic bags resembling breast implants.

-sw
post #7 of 8

Re: Mexican sour cream?

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2007 12:44:10 -0600, Janet B. wrote:


>
> Another good product, thicker than the Mexican crema, is
> Salvadoran cream - kind of a cross between cream cheese and sour
> cream. Usually sold in plastic bags resembling breast implants.
>
> -sw


Do not eat this in public if Pete is in the room.

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 

Re: Mexican sour cream?

"Steve Wertz" <swertz@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
news:1qd2s7xk4a7e$.dlg@sqwertz.com...
> On Tue, 29 May 2007 12:44:10 -0600, Janet B. wrote:
>
>> In our local supermarket I ran across Mexican sour cream in the
>> refrigerated
>> case. On the carton it said "no spice, slightly salty." What is this
>> item? I've seen Mexican cooking shows where the cook uses "heavy cream"
>> to
>> add to savory dishes. The heavy cream has the consistency of sour cream.
>> Is this the same cream? Info please about both items.

>
> I kinda lost track of your question in my first response. The
> cream you saw was Mexican Crema. It's basically the same thing as
> Creme Friache. Creme Agria is sour cream. Sometimes the sour
> stuff isn't labeled Agria, though, so it can be tricky determining
> which is sour and which aren't.
>
> (NB: "Agria" is a medical term for "explosive pustular eruption".
> Remember that next time you're eating Mexican sour cream.)
>
> Another good product, thicker than the Mexican crema, is
> Salvadoran cream - kind of a cross between cream cheese and sour
> cream. Usually sold in plastic bags resembling breast implants.
>
> -sw


O.k., thanks, I've made note of your comments and will look around various
stores to see what is available.
Janet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition