or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lamb that is undercooked

post #1 of 23
We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not killed
if undercooked.

What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
to eat in this situation.
post #2 of 23

Re: Lamb that is undercooked

monrae fordi wrote:
> We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
> But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not killed
> if undercooked.
>
> What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
> that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
> seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
> to eat in this situation.

Absolutely safe and IMO absolutely better.

post #3 of 23

Re: Lamb that is undercooked

monrae fordi wrote:

> What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
> that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
> seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
> to eat in this situation.

If you're in the US (unsure about elsewhere) you should know that
trichinosis in pork is relatively unheard of nowadays. So if you enjoy
pork less dried out and overcooked than your grandmother used to make
it- go for it.
Lamb... is often overcooked but I can't recall if there is any reason
than bad cooking? It should be pink in the middle when done.
post #4 of 23

Re: Lamb that is undercooked

monrae fordi wrote:
> What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I
> see Lamb that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since
> to my mind it seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on
> whether lamb is safe to eat in this situation.

IMHO there's nothing worse than overcooked lamb. I prefer it pink in the
middle. The first time I recall having lamb was at a French restaurant in
1977. When we all decided to try the lamb the server recommended it be
cooked to no more than medium and he was so right. I prefer it leaning a
little more towards medium-rare.

Jill
post #5 of 23

Re: Lamb that is undercooked

monrae fordi wrote:

> We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
> But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not killed
> if undercooked.
>
> What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
> that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
> seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
> to eat in this situation.

Lamb should be quite pink. Like beef, it tastes much better and has a much
nicer texture than when it is all grey. Pork is well inspected and there
is no longer the danger of parasites.
post #6 of 23

Re: Lamb that is undercooked

In article <BGe7i.5847$rW2.2210@newsfe7-win.ntli.net>,
toolman_tim@hotmail.com says...
> We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
> But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not killed
> if undercooked.
>
> What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
> that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
> seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
> to eat in this situation.

Perfectly OK, and you are right, lamb is better medium rare.

--
Peter Aitken
post #7 of 23

Re: Lamb that is undercooked

In article <1180543197.256566.140810@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
Nancy2 <nancy-dooley@uiowa.edu> wrote:

> On May 30, 8:19 am, Giusi <decob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > monrae fordi wrote:
> > > We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
> > > But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not
> > > killed
> > > if undercooked.

> > > What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see
> > > Lamb
> > > that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind
> > > it
> > > seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is
> > > safe
> > > to eat in this situation.

> > Absolutely safe and IMO absolutely better.
> >
> > --

> In the U.S., that business about pork is really no longer valid; there
> haven't been any cases of trichinosis reported for ages (at least
> that's what I read somewhere). I regularly cook my pork tenderloins
> only to about 120-130 and then let it rest under foil for about 15
> minutes.
>
> Lamb is ALWAYS better when rare. Always. And safe.
>
> N.

CDC says there are about 12 cases of Trichinellosis a year in recent
years. With a good percentage of those from wild game.

Rare lamb? Leg, saddle, loin and related cuts are fine when rare. But a
rare shoulder or shank are far too tough. Rare ribs- way too much fat.
If you braise or spit roast the tougher cuts they don't dry out that
much.

D.M.
post #8 of 23

Re: Lamb that is undercooked

monrae fordi wrote:
> We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
> But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not killed
> if undercooked.
>
> What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
> that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
> seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
> to eat in this situation.

Lamb can be eaten rare or even raw, and in that way is best with a
very lean cut like the leg. Google "kibbeh nayyeh" (or close
misspellings of it) for a middle eastern raw lamb version of steak
tartare. Trichinosis from pork occurs so infrequently in the USA that
it is barely worth worrying about. The handful of cases of trichinosis
cases that occur in the USA are almost all traceable to bear or elk,
if I remember correctly (and I may not, but they are traceable to
something other than pork). You can, if you wish, do some research and
find out for yourself the incidence rates.

-bwg
post #9 of 23

Re: Lamb that is undercooked

monrae fordi wrote:
> We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
> But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not killed
> if undercooked.
>
> What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
> that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
> seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
> to eat in this situation.

Lamb can be eaten rare or even raw, and in that way is best with a
very lean cut like the leg. Google "kibbeh nayyeh" (or close
misspellings of it) for a middle eastern raw lamb version of steak
tartare. Trichinosis from pork occurs so infrequently in the USA that
it is barely worth worrying about. The handful of cases of trichinosis
cases that occur in the USA are almost all traceable to bear or elk,
if I remember correctly (and I may not, but they are traceable to
something other than pork). You can, if you wish, do some research and
find out for yourself the incidence rates.

-bwg
post #10 of 23

Re: Lamb that is undercooked

Donald Martinich wrote:
> In article <1180543197.256566.140810@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
> Nancy2 <nancy-dooley@uiowa.edu> wrote:

>>> Absolutely safe and IMO absolutely better.
>>>

>> Lamb is ALWAYS better when rare. Always. And safe.
>>
>> N.

> Rare lamb? Leg, saddle, loin and related cuts are fine when rare. But
> a rare shoulder or shank are far too tough. Rare ribs- way too much
> fat. If you braise or spit roast the tougher cuts they don't dry out
> that much.
>
> D.M.

Shanks and tougher cuts absolutely need to be braised low and slow. I have
two nice lamb shanks in the freezer

Jill
post #11 of 23

Re: Lamb that is undercooked

On May 30, 9:07 am, "monrae fordi" <toolman_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced beef.
> But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites are not killed
> if undercooked.
>
> What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I see Lamb
> that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.? Since to my mind it
> seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for advice on whether lamb is safe
> to eat in this situation.

I would definitely suggest you tried it medium. It tastes way
better. Don't get rare though, it's not that it's health hazard, I
just find it incredibly difficult to chew. Especially if you get
shanks, I went to a restaurant and foolishly ordered rare lamb
shanks. I couldn't tear the meat off the bone, it was quite
frustrating. I winded it up getting it to go, then took it home and
cooked it more before scarfing it down.
post #12 of 23

Re: Lamb that is undercooked

In article <1180713223.975912.316860@q66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
ebrian@gmail.com says...
> I would definitely suggest you tried it medium. It tastes way
> better. Don't get rare though, it's not that it's health hazard, I
> just find it incredibly difficult to chew. Especially if you get
> shanks, I went to a restaurant and foolishly ordered rare lamb
> shanks. I couldn't tear the meat off the bone, it was quite
> frustrating. I winded it up getting it to go, then took it home and
> cooked it more before scarfing it down.

You have to know your cuts. Lamb, like beef, has some cuts that are good
rare (leg, chops) and others that need to be cooked a long time
(shoulder, shanks). A porterhouse rare is a great thing, but who would
want a rare oxtail or shortrib?

--
Peter Aitken
post #13 of 23

Re: Lamb that is undercooked

ebrian wrote:
> On May 30, 9:07 am, "monrae fordi" <toolman_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> We get almost raw 'rare steak' to eat and the french eat raw minced
>> beef. But we are warned not to undercook pork, since some parasites
>> are not killed if undercooked.
>>
>> What i want to ask is what is the situation with Lamb? Sometimes I
>> see Lamb that is still a bit pink in the middle, is that o.k.?
>> Since to my mind it seems better a bit undercooked. thanks for
>> advice on whether lamb is safe to eat in this situation.

> I would definitely suggest you tried it medium. It tastes way
> better. Don't get rare though, it's not that it's health hazard, I
> just find it incredibly difficult to chew. Especially if you get
> shanks, I went to a restaurant and foolishly ordered rare lamb
> shanks.

Well hell, shanks are meant to be braised, not cooked like a steak!
post #14 of 23

Re: Lamb that is undercooked

Peter A wrote:

> You have to know your cuts. Lamb, like beef, has some cuts that are good
> rare (leg, chops) and others that need to be cooked a long time
> (shoulder, shanks). A porterhouse rare is a great thing, but who would
> want a rare oxtail or shortrib?

Some people have issues with rare meat, as if you are guaranteed to get
sick from it, or just find it a generally disgusting idea. I like steaks
rare to medium rare because they have a nice texture and better flavour, as
opposed to tough, dry and flavourless. Oxtails and ribs, OTOH, are very
tough cuts of meat and they need to be cooked long and slow to improve the
texture.
post #15 of 23

Re: Lamb that is undercooked

Dave Smith wrote:

> Some people have issues with rare meat, as if you are guaranteed to get
> sick from it, or just find it a generally disgusting idea. I like steaks
> rare to medium rare because they have a nice texture and better flavour, as
> opposed to tough, dry and flavourless. Oxtails and ribs, OTOH, are very
> tough cuts of meat and they need to be cooked long and slow to improve the
> texture.

I recently ate at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse three times in one week (as a
guest, not the payer,lol) and at one of the dinners everyone at our
table (of 10) ordered the filet, cooked *at the most*no more than
medium. Except the lady to my right who ordered hers well done.
We got thick (at least 1.5 inches thick!) juicy pink filets. She got
this thin, charred, dry piece of meat. And then complained about it.
Every single other diner told her she just got what she ordered!
I suspect the thickness of the steak was also organized so that they all
would be done about the same time for serving? What a waste of a good
cut of meat. <sigh>

Sidenote: A Chinese exchange student we ordered steak with explained to
us that in China they order the meat "done" by percentages. You would
say you wanted it "30% done" or something along those lines to get a
nice rare steak. Interesting method. Has anyone else ever ordered that way?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition