or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can you make it to the market on a bike? - Page 6

post #76 of 521

Re: Can you make it to the market on a bike?

On Jul 25, 3:55 pm, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> "donquijote1954" <nolionnoprob...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> You only need to die once in order to be quite dead.

> > Unless you believe you can enjoy biking in Heaven. I don't.

> Don Quijote appears to be a kindred soul. I will have to pay more attention
> to him in the future.
>
> By the way, what is with the 1954? That is the year of my graduation from
> high school.

It only means that the new Quixote was born in that year.

I got an idea for a new type of car. Well, the mechanics of it have
been around for a while, but now it really comes handy when we are
fighting (and losing) a war over oil and producing Global Warming.
Here it is...

http://www.rhoadescar.com/

We can perfectly ride in the middle of the lane, while all those
engine-bound couch potatoes participate in the rat race. Like the
idea, Sancho?
post #77 of 521

Re: Can you make it to the market on a bike?

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 21:46:46 +0100, Tony Raven <traven@gotadsl.co.uk>
wrote:

>donquijote1954 wrote:
>> On Jul 25, 3:06 am, "Geoff Pearson" <gspearson1...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> what do you do with a gallon of milk - sounds much more dangerous than
>>> cycling?-

>> A gallon of milk is better than a gallon of gas. Hopefully the milk is
>> still "Made in USA"...
>>
>> Gas guzzlers are feeding injustice and terrorism.
>>

>Do you know how much gas is consumed and methane produced in the
>production and delivery of a gallon of milk?
>
>Tony

"It takes thirty-five calories of fossil fuel to make one calorie of
beef, sixty-eight to make one calorie of pork."

"Every single calorie we eat is backed by at least a calorie of oil,
more like ten. In 1940 the average farm in the United States produced
2.3 calories of food energy for every calorie of fossil energy it
used. By 1974 (the last year in which anyone looked closely at this
issue), that ratio was 1:1. And this understates the problem, because
at the same time that there is more oil in our food there is less oil
in our oil. A couple of generations ago we spent a lot less energy
drilling, pumping, and distributing than we do now. In the 1940s we
got about 100 barrels of oil back for every barrel of oil we spent
getting it. Today each barrel invested in the process returns only
ten."

"According to one set of calculations, we spend more calories of
fossil-fuel energy making ethanol from grain than we gain from it.
The Department of Agriculture says the ratio is closer to a gallon
and a quart of ethanol for every gallon of fossil fuel we invest."

Excerpted from http://www.harpers.org/archive/2004/02/0079915
--
zk
post #78 of 521

On Jul 25, 5:52 pm, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> "donquijote1954" <nolionnoprob...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Jul 25, 12:30 pm, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:

> >> Bike paths are the way to go and surely in the future there will be
> >> thousands and thousands of miles of such paths everywhere. The fact is
> >> that
> >> none of us are safe on the roads and highways where we have to share the
> >> lane with motor vehicles.

> > They won't happen without a revolution. No political will. Our roads
> > will remain a jungle until the end of times, which is near if we
> > insist on launching war over precious resources. "Saving" is missing
> > from the American English Dictionary. There's hope though...

> Hey Don Quijote, I am hoping that gas goes to $20. a gallon. That is what it
> will take to get America to abandon their cars. And the sooner the better!

The couch potatoes will have to abandon the comfort of their automatic
vehicles. Which, by the way, it's killing them in types of deseases.

The dictatorship of the lazy and stupid over the fit and smart will
end.
post #79 of 521

On Jul 25, 7:10 pm, "Bill Sornson" <as...@ask.me> wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
> > Amy Blankenship wrote:

> >> I have no idea about cows, but it's probably fairly similar.

> > If you divide the amount of methane produced per annum by cows with
> > their annual milk production and multiply by 30 to allow for the fact
> > that methane is a much more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2 you end
> > up with about 3.5kg of CO2 equivalent per gallon of milk. That is
> > about 17 miles of a 200g/km car or 35 miles of a low emission car
> > like the Prius. And that allows nothing for the fossil fuel
> > consumption of agriculture in farm vehicles, fertiliser, transport
> > and distribution.
> > Surprised?

> Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. "They" don't want to hear this.

We better feed all-American cows than feed injustice in the world.

Well, I hope they are not crazy anyway.
post #80 of 521

On Jul 25, 9:33 pm, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:

> The History Channel on Cable TV is showing a series of programs on The
> Universe. I do not think it would be such a bad thing if a large asteroid
> came crashing into the earth and sent us the way of the dinosaurs. I don't
> know about you, but I am heartily sick of human kind. The sooner we perish,
> the better!

Well, the revolution should be getting here on time before the next...

EVOLVE OR ELSE!

Once upon a time lived a race of dinosaurs whose violence and appetite
alarmed everybody... One day a Little Ant, tired of feeling stepped
upon, and worried about her cooperative enterprise, came up to the
Americanus Raptor --the biggest dinosaur of them all-- and asked: "Why
you eat and eat everything in your path? Why don't you slim down? Why
can't we little animals at least have our own way?" Then the dinosaur,
blowing the Little Ant away, shouted: "Bigger is better, so get
lost!"

The Little Ant, then, gathered the whole cooperative and said:
"Comrades, our world is being threatened by the dinosaurs, so..." And
at that precise moment the Earth was hit by a big ball of fire,
destroying all but the small animals...

Moral: "It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the
most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." -Charles
Darwin
post #81 of 521

George Conklin wrote:

> Like mules, right?

Can take 'em or leave 'em.
post #82 of 521

"Edward Dolan" <edolan@iw.net> writes:

> "Bill Z." <nobody@nospam.pacbell.net> wrote in message
> > "Edward Dolan" <edolan@iw.net> writes:

> Anyone but me notice how others (scoundrels) are quick to call those with
> whom they disagree liars. Hellls Bells, I just assume that Bill Z is an
> ignorant cuss like all his tribe of so-called fact finders. It would never
> even occur to me to call him a liar since he is essentially such a numskull.

Dolan, you proved yourself to be a liar by posting false accusations
that suggested dangerous cycling on my part, and that was simply a lie
that you repeated over and over. If you don't like being called a liar
in public, then stop posting lies - the lie was obvious as we've never
met so there is no way for you to have a clue about safe I am when
riding a bicycle.

Then you go around calling people "numskulls" after they back up what
they say with citations to peer reviewed journals. That behavior really
makes you look like a fool.

> By the way, I will never go to any links (citations). Either say it yourself
> or forget about it.

I'm not going to cut and paste a 10 page article with various figures
just for your benefit. If you are too ignorant to read a peer
reviewed article, one 'click' away, then maybe you should stick to
safe subjects: your health and the weather. At least that would spare
us from listening to you croon like a bilious pidgeon.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB
post #83 of 521

Re: SUV vs. Scooter

In rec.bicycles.misc donquijote1954 <nolionnoproblem@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Preventing Motorcycle, Scooter Accidents a Matter of Awareness
> By Ryan Taylor - 17 Jul 2007

> In March a BYU student, driving a scooter died of injuries suffered in
> an accident with an SUV.

> Adam Cox was riding in the outside lane of University Parkway just
> behind a car that was driving in the inside lane when an SUV going the
> opposite direction, turned left and hit Cox, said Capt. Michael
> Harroun, of the BYU Police Department.

Part of this is simply because SUV drivers generally don't look where
the bleep they're going (I've nearly been killed by them twice in the last
seven days) but another part of the problem in this case is that this
accident happened in Provo, Utah, where drivers think I-15 is Taladega,
and the college requires its students to keep their bikes outdoors, even
in the dead of winter.
Human stupidity, the worst killer of all.

Bill

__o | Harry: How could a troll get in?
_`\(,_ | Ron: Not on its own. Trolls are really stupid.
(_)/ (_) |
post #84 of 521

In rec.bicycles.misc Sancho Panza <otterpower@xhotmail.com> wrote:
> "Dane Buson" <dane@unseen.edu> wrote in message

>> More people live in cities than in rural areas, and the proportion is still
>> shifting towards cities.

> The last several Censuses demonstrate that you forgot the advent of the
> suburbs.

http://www.economist.com/surveys/dis...ory_id=9070726

"Even in 1800 only 3% of the world's population lived in cities.
Sometime in the next few months, though, that proportion will pass the
50% mark, if it has not done so already. Wisely or not, Homo sapiens has
become Homo urbanus."

I was speaking of the world as a whole. But even confining ourselves to
the US, the mythos that everyone wants 2 acres and a riding lawn mower
is fading. There will always be people who want that, and people who
live in rural and remote areas. Naught is wrong with that.

But I don't want it for myself, and I know an awful lot of people who
don't either.

--
Dane Buson - sigdane@unixbigots.org
"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the show?"

Re: Can you make it to the market on a bike?

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 23:21:46 -0400, "Sancho Panza"
<otterpower@xhotmail.com> wrote:

>"Dane Buson" <dane@unseen.edu> wrote in message
>> More people live in cities than in
>> rural areas, and the proportion is still shifting towards cities.

>The last several Censuses demonstrate that you forgot the advent of the
>suburbs.

Worldwide urbanisation is increasing while the rural populations are
decreasing.

Suburbs are usually lumped in with their greater metropolitan areas
when looking at urbanisation.

There is also a move back to the cities as previously depressed areas
are gentrified or redeveloped.

Cities are getting bigger by increasing density and suburbs are
spreading until they butt up against the next one. The whole eastern
seaboard is comprised of a few metropolitan regions spreading to
become one huge strip city from New York to Miami.
--
zk
post #86 of 521

"Edward Dolan" <edolan@iw.net> wrote in message

> "Bill Z." <nobody@nospam.pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> "Edward Dolan" <edolan@iw.net> writes:
>>
>>> "Bill Z." <nobody@nospam.pacbell.net> wrote in message

>>> Bike lanes are not as safe as many imagine them to be. An idiotic driver
>>> can
>>> easily wipe you out and then claim that he never saw you.

>> We weren't talking about how "safe" they were. The issue was whether
>> the government would install them given that most people don't ride
>> bicycles. I pointed out that most voters have children and those
>> children ride bicycles.

> No, you confounded idiot, it is all about safety. No one in their right
> mind gives a damn about anything else.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. For instance, we know that having
railroad tracks at grade with car and pedestrian traffic is less safe than
separating the two. However, often the unsafe situation is allowed to
remain for cost or other reasons (such as people don't want the disruption
of the construction involved). Another example is that the absolute safest
you can keep your child is if you lock him or her into a bubble made of
diamond. There are a lot of reasons why you might make choices to allow him
or her to be less safe than that. Hence children on bike trails ;-).
post #87 of 521

"Tony Raven" <traven@gotadsl.co.uk> wrote in message
> Amy Blankenship wrote:
>>
>> I have no idea about cows, but it's probably fairly similar.
>>

> If you divide the amount of methane produced per annum by cows with their
> annual milk production and multiply by 30 to allow for the fact that
> methane is a much more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2 you end up with
> about 3.5kg of CO2 equivalent per gallon of milk. That is about 17 miles
> of a 200g/km car or 35 miles of a low emission car like the Prius. And
> that allows nothing for the fossil fuel consumption of agriculture in farm
> vehicles, fertiliser, transport and distribution.

Wouldn't that methane be produced anyway, though, by the natural breakdown
of the vegetable matter that they eat?
post #88 of 521

Re: Can you make it to the market on a bike?

"Tony Raven" <traven@gotadsl.co.uk> wrote in message
> Amy Blankenship wrote:
>>
>> I have no idea about cows, but it's probably fairly similar.
>>

> If you divide the amount of methane produced per annum by cows with their
> annual milk production and multiply by 30 to allow for the fact that
> methane is a much more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2 you end up with
> about 3.5kg of CO2 equivalent per gallon of milk. That is about 17 miles
> of a 200g/km car or 35 miles of a low emission car like the Prius. And
> that allows nothing for the fossil fuel consumption of agriculture in farm
> vehicles, fertiliser, transport and distribution.

http://www.newrules.org/agri/netenergyresponse.pdf
http://www.newrules.org/de/archives/000172.html
post #89 of 521

"Amy Blankenship" <Amy_nospam@magnoliamultimedia.com> wrote in message
newsOUpi.4289$P32.3607@bignews5.bellsouth.net...

> I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. For instance, we know that
> having railroad tracks at grade with car and pedestrian traffic is less
> safe than separating the two. However, often the unsafe situation is
> allowed to remain for cost or other reasons (such as people don't want the
> disruption of the construction involved). Another example is that the
> absolute safest you can keep your child is if you lock him or her into a
> bubble made of diamond. There are a lot of reasons why you might make
> choices to allow him or her to be less safe than that. Hence children on
> bike trails ;-).

I think it's generally nearly always your fault if you're a car or a
pedestrian and you hit a train. If you're that stupid you deserve it.
post #90 of 521

Re: Can you make it to the market on a bike?

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 22:46:37 -0500, "Amy Blankenship"
<Amy_nospam@magnoliamultimedia.com> wrote:

>> No, you confounded idiot, it is all about safety. No one in their right
>> mind gives a damn about anything else.

>I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. For instance, we know that having
>railroad tracks at grade with car and pedestrian traffic is less safe than
>separating the two. However, often the unsafe situation is allowed to
>remain for cost or other reasons

The "unsafe" conditions and/or situations are sought out and savoured
by a significant portion of the population. There are whole
industries devoted to "danger sports" for adrenalin junkies and
weekend-warriors. Eddy, Donny and Walt Mitty will always be JAFO.

Scraping their knees and claiming a hat saved their lives epitomises
their feverish attraction to danger. They have the ability to
fictionalise life in order to show how safety conscious they are. Or
conversely, how "unsafe" you are.

Living on the edge, or simply riding your unicycle across the bridge
- on the handrail, is, well, just edgier than hiding under the bed.
--
zk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: