or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › Babyback ribs...how many should I make?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Babyback ribs...how many should I make?

post #1 of 19
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 01:44:21 GMT, Mitch wrote:

> I have two slabs of BB ribs, each slab is 4.5 pounds.

Those are not baby back ribs. They must be spare ribs at that
weight, or beef ribs of some sort.

Baby back ribs weigh no more than 3lbs per rack, usually around
2.5lbs.

> Is this good for 4 adults, or should I pick up another slab?

Two slabs are enough for 4 people. Assuming they're actually
spare ribs, then they would comfortable feed 5-6 hungry people.

-sw
post #2 of 19

Re: Babyback ribs...how many should I make?

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Two slabs are enough for 4 people. Assuming they're actually
> spare ribs, then they would comfortable feed 5-6 hungry people.
>
> -sw

Also no one just serves ribs. I'm sure there will be other foods to help
fill the belly, so to speak.
I wish my husband knew how to do ribs
post #3 of 19

Re: Babyback ribs...how many should I make?

In article <8k1h73pe3siu6bojptu85bjvavajc7n9us@4ax.com>,
Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:

> I have two slabs of BB ribs, each slab is 4.5 pounds.
>
> Is this good for 4 adults, or should I pick up another slab?

That should be adequate. But if you have a good deal at the market, pick
up another one. You can *all* really pig out. I mean this with no
offense. I really like pork ribs. And they're good reheated. Cole slaw
and baked beans to finish. Call me!

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
post #4 of 19

"Goomba38" <Goomba38@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I wish my husband knew how to do ribs

Then you do them.

Get one of these
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3342508

Anyone can use it and you have great ribs in 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
post #5 of 19

Goomba38 wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>
>> Two slabs are enough for 4 people. Assuming they're actually
>> spare ribs, then they would comfortable feed 5-6 hungry people.
>>
>> -sw

> Also no one just serves ribs. I'm sure there will be other foods to
> help fill the belly, so to speak.
> I wish my husband knew how to do ribs

You can borrow mine, Goomba. :-D (Just for ribs, though.)

kili
post #6 of 19

kilikini wrote:
> Goomba38 wrote:
>> Steve Wertz wrote:
>>
>>> Two slabs are enough for 4 people. Assuming they're actually
>>> spare ribs, then they would comfortable feed 5-6 hungry people.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Also no one just serves ribs. I'm sure there will be other foods to
>> help fill the belly, so to speak.
>> I wish my husband knew how to do ribs

> You can borrow mine, Goomba. :-D (Just for ribs, though.)

There's gotta be a gag here about Adam losing his rib to Eve, but I
just can't put my finger on a *good* one.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 01:44:21 GMT, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:

>I have two slabs of BB ribs, each slab is 4.5 pounds.
>
>Is this good for 4 adults, or should I pick up another slab?
>
>This is a rare caloric splurge for me, so I personally plan to pig
>out. :-)
>
>I haven't made these in quite a while, so I forget how far they go.

How many people do you plan to feed?

--
See return address to reply by email
post #8 of 19

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 01:44:21 GMT, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
>
>>I have two slabs of BB ribs, each slab is 4.5 pounds.
>>
>>Is this good for 4 adults, or should I pick up another slab?
>>
>>This is a rare caloric splurge for me, so I personally plan to pig
>>out. :-)
>>
>>I haven't made these in quite a while, so I forget how far they go.

> How many people do you plan to feed?

I'm guessing "4 adults".

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
post #9 of 19

Re: Babyback ribs...how many should I make?

On 20 Jun 2007 05:36:44 GMT, Blinky the Shark <no.spam@box.invalid>
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 01:44:21 GMT, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
>>
>>>I have two slabs of BB ribs, each slab is 4.5 pounds.
>>>
>>>Is this good for 4 adults, or should I pick up another slab?
>>>
>>>This is a rare caloric splurge for me, so I personally plan to pig
>>>out. :-)
>>>
>>>I haven't made these in quite a while, so I forget how far they go.

>> How many people do you plan to feed?

>I'm guessing "4 adults".

LOL... duh!

--
See return address to reply by email
post #10 of 19

On Jun 19, 8:44 pm, Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
> I have two slabs of BB ribs, each slab is 4.5 pounds.
>
> Is this good for 4 adults, or should I pick up another slab?
>
> This is a rare caloric splurge for me, so I personally plan to pig
> out. :-)
>
> I haven't made these in quite a while, so I forget how far they go.

BABY KILLER!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

--Bryan
post #11 of 19

Goomba38 wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>
>> Two slabs are enough for 4 people. Assuming they're actually
>> spare ribs, then they would comfortable feed 5-6 hungry people.
>>
>> -sw

> Also no one just serves ribs. I'm sure there will be other foods to
> help fill the belly, so to speak.
> I wish my husband knew how to do ribs

They aren't difficult. Just brush them with oil and pat them down with salt
& pepper and smushed (that's a technical term) garlic. Add some herbs like
dried marjoram and you've got some really nice ribs! Cook over indirect
heat for a couple of hours, until one of the ribs sort of shakes loose. If
desired brush with BBQ sauce towards the end of cooking. I prefer un-sauced
ribs.

Jill
post #12 of 19

"Edwin Pawlowski" <esp@snet.net> wrote in message

> "Goomba38" <Goomba38@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I wish my husband knew how to do ribs

> Then you do them.
>
> Get one of these
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3342508
>
> Anyone can use it and you have great ribs in 4 1/2 to 5 hours.

I have one that is very similar to the one you posted Edwin and love it.
Easy to use, consistent heating and works perfectly every time. An all
around great smoker for under a $100.

Joe
post #13 of 19

jmcquown wrote:
> Goomba38 wrote:

>> I wish my husband knew how to do ribs

> They aren't difficult. Just brush them with oil and pat them down with salt
> & pepper and smushed (that's a technical term) garlic. Add some herbs like
> dried marjoram and you've got some really nice ribs! Cook over indirect
> heat for a couple of hours, until one of the ribs sort of shakes loose. If
> desired brush with BBQ sauce towards the end of cooking. I prefer un-sauced
> ribs.

I think it is that "hours" part that is our downfall? I swear I want to
try it though. Do they require turning or anything while over indirect
heat?
post #14 of 19

Re: Babyback ribs...how many should I make?

Re: Babyback ribs...how many should I make?

Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Tue, Jun 19, 2007, 7:05pm (EDT-3) From:
leo@greatbasin.com (LeonardĀ Blaisdell)
" But if you have a good deal at the market, pick up another one. You
can *all* really pig out. I mean this with no offense. I really like
pork ribs. And they're good reheated. Cole slaw and baked beans to
finish. Call me!"
leo
--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

You said it!I always pick up more than i need on sale .Theyre great
reheated.I use a charcoal Grill-smoker (Weber)rub with a little oil and
paprika,comes out juicy and tender.Can never have 'too many' ribs
Cheers,Smitty
post #15 of 19

Goomba38 wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Goomba38 wrote:

>>> I wish my husband knew how to do ribs

>> They aren't difficult. Just brush them with oil and pat them down
>> with salt & pepper and smushed (that's a technical term) garlic.
>> Add some herbs like dried marjoram and you've got some really nice
>> ribs! Cook over indirect heat for a couple of hours, until one of
>> the ribs sort of shakes loose. If desired brush with BBQ sauce
>> towards the end of cooking. I prefer un-sauced ribs.
>>

> I think it is that "hours" part that is our downfall? I swear I want
> to try it though. Do they require turning or anything while over
> indirect heat?

Sure, turn them once every hour or so. Really, not difficult. In fact,
take a nap, read half a book, then go turn the ribs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition